Name brand or generic? Why?
    jayzeey is offline New Member

Default Name brand or generic? Why?

Specifically psychiatric drugs. How do name brand psychiatric drugs influence doctors to prescribe them? Some don't have generic, but many do. Why not prescribe the generic then if it costs the patient less and its the same thing?
    What influences doctors to do this?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jacob
    jacobzagorac@yahoo.com

Phobias is offline New Member

Good question. Would love to hear the answers.

Questions like these are very difficult to pin down because every doctor is going to have his own reason. One thing could simply be that a drug rep came in and advertised their drug well so he uses it now. Or a doctor may think a certain name brand only medication has less side effects and better effectiveness than another drug that has a generic. Those are probably two biggest reasons I can think of off top of my head.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayzeey View Post
    Specifically psychiatric drugs. How do name brand psychiatric drugs influence doctors to prescribe them? Some don't have generic, but many do. Why not prescribe the generic then if it costs the patient less and its the same thing?
    What influences doctors to do this?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jacob
    jacobzagorac@yahoo.com
    The fact is.. Drs are bought off one way or another by the pharmaceutical companies in a lot of cases.I am not just talking about lunches for the office, or season tickets for the Diamonbacks for the staff.It has always been this way.I have personally witnessed this.Politics and money are the driving force in medicine.Pharm companies spend millions and millions on representation by drug reps with their "expense" account.....MM