naravam
    jherzhaft is offline New Member

Default naravam

Does anyone know if their is a generic medication for naravam that is the same.

Alprazolam
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

jherzhaft is offline New Member

Default jherzhaft

Thankyou... the insurance company said that Alprazolam Orally Disintegrating Tablets

Generic Name: Alprazolam Orally Disintegrating Tablets (al-PRAY-zoe-lam)
    Brand Name: Niravam -- Is the generic ....but wallgreens and a couple other pharmacies said it is not avaliable...do you know why that is ..My insurance carrier said since the FDA says their is a generic they will not cover the Niravam any longer,...I dont understand can you help and again thank you for you reply ...JH

Is this generic for niravam really new? I looked on multiple pharmacist drug references online and only show it as name brand. The generic name is alprazolam ODT, but every drug whether it has a generic actually available or not has a generic name. I do know your insurance company said there is one available (insurance companies a lot of time have people from India talking to you and are not reliable), I would make sure with the pharmacy that there is one even made. If I was working soon I would check myself, but I had some things come up (traveling) where I wont be working for a few weeks and I could've called our distributer and check the drug inquiry at work to make sure there IS a generic for it. If alprazolam ODT is not available you may be able to get a prior authorization to get the name brand covered which involves your doctor calling the insurance company and saying it is medically necessary, etc. but doctors are lazy and won't do that sometimes. Also, any reason why you need to have the ODT form? Immediate release alprazolam (but NOT alprazolam XR) can be crushed into a powder if needed.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

anna2009a is offline New Member

A generic drug is the brand equivalent, or bio-equivalent to a brand name drug in all of the following: dosage form, safety, strength, route of administration, quality, performance characteristics and intended use. Although generic drugs must be pharmacologically equivalent to their branded counterparts, they are typically sold at a lower price than the branded formulation.