Oxycodone IR 72 of them a day
    Prayerman49 is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone IR 72 of them a day

My Friend has cancer and was taking six main pain meds under old hospice. New hospice has changed to 3 and wants to go down to 2. He was taking
    Morphine liquid,
    Fenytal Patch 100,and 50 total 150 a day
    Oxycode IR, 6 a day one every 4 hours
    Oxycontine 60 mg 3 times daily,
    Fenytal lolly pops. 80 mg every 2 hours
    They switched him to oxycontine 60 mg 3 times a day, 72 yes 72 oxycondone IR's and the lolly pop. They want him off the lolly pop because of money reason. He says the lolly pop works best. The problem is this the 72 oxycodone's 5 mg a day and they want to give him even more then that per day He wants to know will that many oxycodone IR's get him sick or cause liver or kidney damage.

They want to eventually get him on two meds 3 very lagre amounts of oxycontin and all the oxycodone IR's

He is scared and wants any info that would help explain to the new hospice this is not want he wants and he is afraid he is going to get sick stopping 4 of the meds, three instantly and the looly pop in 2 only weeks, And will all that IR med ( 72 5mg's ) get him sick.

keril is offline New Member

I'm really sorry that your friend has cancer and that he is in so much pain. I don't think he should be worried about getting sick as much as he might worry about living another day...I'm sorry. I don't mean to be mean...but, I saw his home page and seems to me that he should just be praying more. Peace.

bryan0180 is offline New Member

sorry about your freind, but if i was him i would want to be in as little pain as poossable for the remainder of my life so i would say take as many pain meds as he can get..

bryan

LAKE is offline New Member

I'm soo sorry to hear about your friend. I think you got some of your info scrambled.lollipops (actiq) only comes in mcgs,oxycontin comes in 10,20 40 and 80mgs and any Dr who perscribes 72 5mg oxycodone (even if the APAP is only 325mg) made a mistake. Your concern for the liver is very well warenteed.

kellrx is offline Member

There really isn't much concern for the liver or kidneys (there is no tylenol in those medications), especially if he is end-stage. They are just trying to make the last of his life more comfortable.

tabula_rasa125 is offline New Member

wow, it seems to me that it would make more sense to have him on one single medication (morphine OR oxycodone OR fentanyl), whichever works best, and just give him as many as he needs. but i have to say, as a cancer survivor, if your friend's prognosis is that of needing to be in hospice, let him take as many drugs as he wants. if he wants to go base jumping while smoking a crack pipe, let him. cancer hurts. it doesnt matter what kind you have... the things they do to you are just compounded on top of the cancer itself. so basically, my recommendation would be, let him have whatever works best for him. what could happen that would be worse than what's happening to him anyway?
    i really hope this doesn't sound insensitive, because i really do understand what it's like. my intentions are just for your friend's happiness and comfort.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Your friend should be aloud to take what works for him.Get him back to the doctors and tell them what he wants to be on.Cancer patients should always be aloud to take what works and most doctors know this.....Dave

Director is offline New Member

It seems to me, being more than just a little knowledgable about Hospice, that they will do whatever needs to be done to keep your friend comfortable and give him anything he needs. Both my parents had Hospice care and I can't say enough good things about their program.

My thoughts are that Fentanyl is by far the strongest pain med available. He should be on whatever dose of patches that he and his doctor think is necessary. For the BT pain, let him have Lolly Pops, which I think goes up to 1600 mcg.

The main concern for everyone, is that your friends is not in any pain. One other point about the 72 Oxy IRs a day. You said they were 5 mg, but I don't understand why he would take 72, 5 mg's? Roxicodone comes in doses of 15 and 30 mg also, so it makes no sense to have a patient like your friend on 5 mg Oxys.

fadedhorizon is offline Junior Member

I worked for a hospice myself. There are good hospices, and there are bad ones. The hospice he is in currently (over medicating him) sounds like a bad one. I had a women who was dying from cancer (i was warned she could die during my shift), she wasn't on any pain meds except for morphine whenever she asked for it (i administered it and made sure it was only one dose per half hour)

The hospice i worked for is the best one in town.

Another story.... I had an older man 70ish (only problem was he had siezures)who we took from another hospice and he was very skiddish because he used to get beaten anytime he did anything wrong. He was given very little food, so I would make him a plate, make sure to save extra, and offer him more when he was finished, which always made him so happy.

Just because a person is in pain doesn't mean they need to not feel anything. When a hospice takes on a patient, they manage their social security money, and if he'd rather have someone sit there and talk with him, or just sit there in a daze from being high, then i guess that's his choice.

Painful_Fate is offline Member

Post Wow...

I'm sorry to read about your friend.

I would believe that any cancer patient (especially end-stage) should be kept as comfortable as can be. Nobody likes pain and in your friend's case, pain is overwhelming, hence the pain meds.

I see alot of Oxycontin, Fentanyl and Actiq. Strong medications no doubt. What about Dilaudid (Hydromorphone HCL)? Maybe not by itself but used as an instant-release or extended-release basis along with Actiq for break-through? I realize the doctors are trying to remove Actiq from the equation but if it's effective at limiting the pain, why? Seems kind of ignorant to me.

Just a thought. Not a doctor or pharm. Just well knowledged.

~My prayers~

FireFly13 is offline New Member

Default Hope things get better

i also am sorry to hear about your friend. i cannot imagine what he is going through. i too agree with most of the comments. your friend is in pain and they should try to keep him as comfortable as possible. if the medicine helps him, then, they should give it to him. it's not like he's abusing the medicine. that's what Hospice is supposed to do in the first place. make things easier for the person suffering with pain. tell him that he is in my prayers and i hope everything works out the way he wants it to. Peace and Love

Andria

DBall is offline New Member

Question I hope maybe I can get some direction

I was born with vitemin d defficinacny rickets..
    The shriners hospital used braces and I have surgeries tryign to straighten out my bones !!
    As i get older I Feel more aching and muskoskelotal pains, aching in the bones , my joints are really starting to hurt more and more , not to mention my teeth .
    I take rocoltral,nutraphos .. all kinds aof suppliments
    My mngmt doctor has me on 160mg day methadone, but at my appointment last week I explained I am still experiencing breakthrough pain ,at times I cant lay on my bones due to the bowed bones it hurts at the furthest most point out I wake up in the middle of the night I have trouble walking , it feels like my ankels are going to snap, I can feel my hips and knees realy not functioning right because of the angle my bones!!!
    Anyways he percribed me norco 10/325 qid , they do nothing to eleviate the pain!
    I am wondering if I should call him and tell him , or wait until my next visit.
    Does anyone have any suggestions ????? Please I could use all the help I coul get

TooBlue is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by fadedhorizon View Post
    I worked for a hospice myself. There are good hospices, and there are bad ones. The hospice he is in currently (over medicating him) sounds like a bad one.
    I have cared for somone with intractable pain for over 10 yeras now and I have heard this same opinion too many times simply due to the amount of meds.
    Possibly you are not familiar with this kind of pain and , would be amazed at how much of a tolerence people are able to develope?

My wife was on 180 mgs of oxycontin a day, 100 mcg fentynal patch, and 60 mgs of morphine IR for breaktrough pain. Some docs in the ERs we visited during those really bad times said she was over medicated, due to the amount of meds, while others understood it completely and ghad no problem with the occasional shot of demeral , or whatever they chose to use at the time when her meds just could not cover here pain due to a bad shunt and hydrocephalous. (You know the pressure is for real in someone's head when blood and fluid is leaking from eyes and ears, or as in her case one of each on the same side of her head).

Quote Originally Posted by fadedhorizon View Post
    Just because a person is in pain doesn't mean they need to not feel anything. When a hospice takes on a patient, they manage their social security money, and if he'd rather have someone sit there and talk with him, or just sit there in a daze from being high, then i guess that's his choice.
    I am really glad this comment was not made about anyone I know. I would be upset for certain. My wife and many people we have met over the years with the same condition and almost the same meds, never was "high" or "in a daze" and even the Dr. who prescribed her pain meds to begin with (a pain management Dr. who assisted her neurosugeon at a major university hospital) refferred to her meds a s a "bucket 'O' pain meds".

The only time she (or the persons we have come to know with same conditions,and of course the tolerence levels are differnet for almost everyone, some were less some were more) were unable to function same as anyone else was when the occasion came up that an additional ER visit and a shot of something had to be given. (And my wife weighs only around 100 lbs most of the time, and has been given as much as 150 mgs of demeral, and went grocery shopping within an hour after the ER visit and this was while she was on the "bucket O meds" I mentioned above!).

I have relatives who owned a nursing home for many years also, and they are of the same opinion as we have learned in this area as far as not being "overmedicated" when others feel someone is, as well as the thinking that a person has to be "high" or "in a daze from being high". when they in fact are not .

It took my mother all of 10 years to get this through her head , after spending time with my wife and being shocked again and again. She finally admitted last year , that even though she was an RN and , had been a caregiver for many years, that she was just ignorant about pain meds and the tolernce levels that can and do develope.
    She has apoligized for some similar statements she had made over the years regarding my wife, and has joined in educating others as well about this not so well known territory.

Outeastmike is offline New Member

Default Your ignorant if

Quote Originally Posted by LAKE View Post
    I'm soo sorry to hear about your friend. I think you got some of your info scrambled.lollipops (actiq) only comes in mcgs,oxycontin comes in 10,20 40 and 80mgs and any Dr who perscribes 72 5mg oxycodone (even if the APAP is only 325mg) made a mistake. Your concern for the liver is very well warenteed.

Your ignorant if you think oxycontin only comes in 10 20 40 80
    oxycontin comes in forms of 10 15 20 30 40 60 80 and I am talking about oxycontin not oxycodone there's a difference oxycontin are the pills that have oc on 1 side and the milligram on the other . And juss because it's oxycodone I.r. Doesn't mean it's percocet or percodan it could be roxicodone which comes in form of 5 10 15 20 30 . If the cancer guy was referring to percocet or percodan when h put the dosage he wuldve wrote 5/325 or 5/500 not just 5 there is no Tylenol in roxicodone so that's why I'm 100% sure that's what he was referring to . I'm 17 years old and I've been addicted to any type of oxycodone predominantly roxys for a little over 2 years ever since my brother got prescribed oc 60s and my uncle gets oxycontin 30s and roxy 15s and 30s believe me I know what I'm talking about I've snorted every kind of roxy and oxy

Dorothy_Uhden is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outeastmike View Post

Your ignorant if you think oxycontin only comes in 10 20 40 80
    oxycontin comes in forms of 10 15 20 30 40 60 80 and I am talking about oxycontin not oxycodone there's a difference oxycontin are the pills that have oc on 1 side and the milligram on the other . And juss because it's oxycodone I.r. Doesn't mean it's percocet or percodan it could be roxicodone which comes in form of 5 10 15 20 30 . If the cancer guy was referring to percocet or percodan when h put the dosage he wuldve wrote 5/325 or 5/500 not just 5 there is no Tylenol in roxicodone so that's why I'm 100% sure that's what he was referring to . I'm 17 years old and I've been addicted to any type of oxycodone predominantly roxys for a little over 2 years ever since my brother got prescribed oc 60s and my uncle gets oxycontin 30s and roxy 15s and 30s believe me I know what I'm talking about I've snorted every kind of roxy and oxy
    Actually, the apaps aren't made in the higher dosages. Only in the 5 and 10 mg dose /pill.

As for taking 72 tablets of Oxycodone IR, 5 mg pills, that comes to something like 360 mg p/day, a pretty low dose, if you have cancer. That's only about 12,tablets of 30 mg Oxy IR's. OR 09 40 mg Oxy ER, or 4.5 tablets of 80 mg Oxy ER.

Oxycontin (Oxy ER) comes in all the strengths you mention, and it used to come in 1 or 2 you don't.

Oxy IR, however, only comes in 5, 10, 15, 20, & 30 mg. Once you get to 40 you go to an Oxy ER because they just don't make an Oxy IR 40 in the U.S. Perhaps not anywhere.

Now, although vicodin is a different animal than Oxy, I want to point out that sometimes you can get odd dosings. Vicodine can go as a 5/325, or a 5/500 or 7.5/325 or 7.5/500, or 10/325 or 10/500.

Vicodine used to go down as far as a 2.g tablet, which is just about useless!

Pain meds can get confusing for the ill and uninformed.