Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By newyorkgal
  • 1 Post By BeavisMom62
Pharmacy Techs that are Addicts
    PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Default Pharmacy Techs that are Addicts

I'm one. Thankfully, a functional one, I've made only one minor counting error since last year. No big screw-ups, my attention to detail never wavered, despite the mental gymnastics I was constantly performing, I'm not a menace to society and my work is ALWAYS checked before it goes out to the public.

Is there anyone else out there? I'm pretty much in the closet about my addiction at work. Since all the substances I've been addicted to were prescribed to me, I passed every drug test. That's doctor-patient confidentiality for ya.

I'd love to know the stats on it but I have an inkling that the best epidemiologists in the world couldn't figure this one out.
    Peter

shybaybe2003 is offline Member

Default i am one too

swim was a pharmacy tech for years. swim wishes she never would have been. It speeded up swims addiction big time. Lets just say on the narcotics the inventory was always off. Now swim will NEVER work in a pharmacy or around narcotics ever again. Swim was very lucky she never got found out.

newyorkgal is offline Advanced Member

Close relative of mine is a nurse. She had to get a special dispensation before getting her RN license and she did although her addictive never wavered. She never stole meds from the hospital but got them on the street - has been addicted to every drug in the book at one time or another and is now on sub at a stupidly high dose for a stupidly long time. I was on a methadone clinic where we had lawyers, policemen, people in the health care profession, business owners. Addiction doesn't discriminate in any way. I'm sure there are many pharm techs addicted just like in any other field.
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    Close relative of mine is a nurse. She had to get a special dispensation before getting her RN license and she did although her addictive never wavered. She never stole meds from the hospital but got them on the street - has been addicted to every drug in the book at one time or another and is now on sub at a stupidly high dose for a stupidly long time. I was on a methadone clinic where we had lawyers, policemen, people in the health care profession, business owners. Addiction doesn't discriminate in any way. I'm sure there are many pharm techs addicted just like in any other field.

I'm betting that it's a percent or so (somewhere between 0.5 and 5.0 percent, (pure guess)) You're right, it does not discriminate.

There is nothing inherently illegal about my position (which surprised and relieved me. And SWIM (that's Someone Who Is Me) would NEVER steal (that is one line I've never crossed, If I didn't have the money for my Rx of Roxicocone, I'd bite my lip for a few days and wait.)

Thankfully, the pharmacy I work in has many cameras, holding everyone automatically accountable, so doing such a foolish act as stealing could and would be quickly identified and justice (as the community perceives it) is dealt out harshly.

I have no such dispensation. But again, this is not against any law. I always follow the law, to the best of my ability. (I wonder if overdosing yourself on your own Rx illegal, if any one knows, pls chime in)

PS: One of my paediatritions is in state prison for selling scripts to drug addicts who were not his actual patients. I know wew were all SHOCKED to hear that good old Mr. Lollypop, our dear friend "Dr. Blankety-Blank" was found to be hanging around community college campuses and just doling out the C2 Rx's like candy!

"Just slip him a grand and the script's in your hand."

He's out of prison now, but has lost his vocation. Stripped of his license, he left the community in a state of shame. Mostly undue from the Uber-conservativeness of my particular locale.
    Peter

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Funny, I was wondering about this just the other day. I have addiction problems and am in the medical field, work in a doctor's office, not a pharmacy. But I wondered how difficult it would be to be an addict, working in a pharmacy, surrounded by bottles and bottles of things that I would just love to get my hands on and if you could. I figured that you might [I]possibly[I] be able to skim one or two pills on rare occasions (oops, sorry, count is off, my mistake), but never even considered the fact that there are cameras. I knew there would be inventory and other measures but still figured you might be able to get away with one or two, IF your pharmacy didn't use automatic pill counters. Very interesting conversation.

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

PeterRabbit, I live in east central FL, pill mill capital of the world. There are always docs here getting arrested for doling out RX's. Of course it is to their "patients", if you wanna call it that. Go to the pill mill, pay out $300 in cash, bring in any old MRI to "prove" you have pain, have a doctor maybe touch your back, check your reflexes (if that) and walk out with RX's for hundreds of roxi 15's, roxi 30's, Xanax 2's and see ya next month!

I personally go to a sorta pill mill. Pretty much the same thing. Even though I have insurance, I have to pay cash for each visit. Brought in my current MRI's and medical records (I DO have legitimate pain and reasons for it). First visit doc and I played a game, it was weird. He asked "what do you want?". I wasn't sure how to answer, is this a trick question? I said "I want relief from my pain". He say again "Well.... what do you WANT?". I looked quizzically at him and finally he says "What have you taken in the past that helped your pain???". OOoHHHHHH!!!! Ok. So, I just said Lortab 10 helps me.

Over time, I've gotten the amount increased from 4 to 6 a day and probably could have had roxi's if I asked. But they scare me (hubby is addicted and its been hell!). I know that I am already addicted/dependent on the Norco's I am now on. And when this gravy train ends it is going to be hell to get off of them. But for now, they do help my pain and I play the game like a good girl, taking my drug tests when told, taking my meds as directed. I made that mistake the first couple of months. Wow! 120 Lortab 10's!!!! So of course the first few days I did take more than prescribed, only to find myself short at the end of the month. and since they will accept NO excuse for runnin out early, I learned my lesson. Those last days of the month are hell if you run out!
    PeterRabbit2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BeavisMom62 View Post
    PeterRabbit, I live in east central FL, pill mill capital of the world. There are always docs here getting arrested for doling out RX's. Of course it is to their "patients", if you wanna call it that. Go to the pill mill, pay out $300 in cash, bring in any old MRI to "prove" you have pain, have a doctor maybe touch your back, check your reflexes (if that) and walk out with RX's for hundreds of roxi 15's, roxi 30's, Xanax 2's and see ya next month!

I personally go to a sorta pill mill. Pretty much the same thing. Even though I have insurance, I have to pay cash for each visit. Brought in my current MRI's and medical records (I DO have legitimate pain and reasons for it). First visit doc and I played a game, it was weird. He asked "what do you want?". I wasn't sure how to answer, is this a trick question? I said "I want relief from my pain". He say again "Well.... what do you WANT?". I looked quizzically at him and finally he says "What have you taken in the past that helped your pain???". OOoHHHHHH!!!! Ok. So, I just said Lortab 10 helps me.

Over time, I've gotten the amount increased from 4 to 6 a day and probably could have had roxi's if I asked. But they scare me (hubby is addicted and its been hell!). I know that I am already addicted/dependent on the Norco's I am now on. And when this gravy train ends it is going to be hell to get off of them. But for now, they do help my pain and I play the game like a good girl, taking my drug tests when told, taking my meds as directed. I made that mistake the first couple of months. Wow! 120 Lortab 10's!!!! So of course the first few days I did take more than prescribed, only to find myself short at the end of the month. and since they will accept NO excuse for runnin out early, I learned my lesson. Those last days of the month are hell if you run out!
    I can speak from personal experience. You DO NOT even want to think about Roxicodone!!! It is 100 times more addicting than Norco.

If you have legitimate pain, try supplementing your Norco with Aleve or Voltaren Gel. I'll pray that you can if not overcome this insidious disease, that it does not escalate. Please ask for help. try using a pill dispenser and try, just try to quantify the scope of the problem. Once you know what you take, try to taper by one-half pill per day every two weeks. I promise; your body will not be able to tell the difference between 60 and 55mg of Norco. For the aches and pains in between, use Advil. Giving advice on how to detox is WAY out of my realm so I have to defer to the knowledgeable ones.

About stealing from a pharmacy...the mere thought of that scares the s--- out of me! It really frightens me! I might be an addict but I'm not going to prison for 5-10 for popping one or two!!! The inventory is pretty tight on the pain pills. Airtight, in fact. If we come up one short (out of thousands of pills) there's an incident report that must be filled out and turned in to the state...boss is NOT happy.

Good luck and know that you and your husband are in my prayers!
    Peter

Funny, I was wondering about this just the other day. I have addiction problems and am in the medical field, work in a doctor's office, not a pharmacy. But I wondered how difficult it would be to be an addict, working in a pharmacy, surrounded by bottles and bottles of things that I would just love to get my hands on and if you could. I figured that you might [I]possibly[I] be able to skim one or two pills on rare occasions (oops, sorry, count is off, my mistake), but never even considered the fact that there are cameras. I knew there would be inventory and other measures but still figured you might be able to get away with one or two, IF your pharmacy didn't use automatic pill counters. Very interesting conversation.
    When I go to work, the addict part of my brain goes into hibernation, somehow.

I'm surrounded by people, cameras....I'm super busy for the whole 7 hours. I don't have time to think about it.
    Peter

shybaybe2003 is offline Member

i coould not and will not ever go back to working in a pharmacy. I dont think i would ever do anything stupiud again, but I cant say with 100 percent certainty.

pookie5353 is offline New Member

Default Not a good idea...

In my opinion it would not be a good idea to work in a pharmacy if you are a drug addict or former drug addict. You may get tempted or if you are totally clean anything comes up missing everyone will be looking at you first.

casual is offline Junior Member

They only charge 300 bucks? Is that the tier 1 or tier 2? These pain docs in Texas get 400-500 bucks, unbelievable. Hydros will cost you 120$ to get from the doc, Roxy's and op's 400-500$. They shut them all down in my state.

casual is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    Rush Limbaugh was even addicted, go figure.

deserteg is offline New Member

Smile Attempting to Contact

PeterRabbit,

I'm just catching up on old forums and Your reply was interesting and something I would like to discuss further with you via the web // e-mail if you have time. Understand if you are busy.

New to this forum and protocol related. Assume this will go to your e-mail and can coorespond with you that way. I will leave my contact info off here for the time being and will wait to hear back from you on a way to pursue forward.

Thanks for your time.

H. E.

deserteg is offline New Member

Lightbulb Attmepting to contactt contributing members

BevisMom62,

I'm just catching up on some of these old forums and you had some replys that were interesting and something I would like to discuss further with you via the web // e-mail if you have time.

I am New to this forum and website and the protocol related. I assume this will go to your e-mail and can coorespond with you that way.

I will leave my contact info off here for the time being and will wait to hear back from you on a way to pursue forward.

Thanks for your time.

H. E.

globalgeneric is offline New Member

The point I guess Im trying to make is not all of us addicts are the sketchy dealer out to make a buck...some of us were legitamite patients or just someone down on their luck who made a bad choice and cant find any other options.

lindseynicole12 is offline New Member

Default Pharmacy Techs that are Addicts

There are many pharmacist which is addicted so badly.

lindseynicole12 is offline New Member

If the pharmacist addicted so how can we trust on them.