Professional opinions
    josvar is offline New Member

Default Professional opinions

I'm in bit of an ackward situation in that a physician that frequents our pharmacy also appears to be an abuser of controlled substances. At first wasn't quite sure but over the course of a year I am. It's either him or he's supporting a significant other's habit. He always comes in on the overnight shift, gets chatty and friendly with the overnight pharmacist before pulling out his script. His scrpits are always written by the same physician which may be his buddy. Anyway as a pharmacist, how would you handle this? Let it be? Report it to medical board? Report it to the board of pharmacy. Opinions appreciated!!

jruerph is offline Banned

My best recommendation would be to document everything and maybe write a letter to his superior(s) stating your suspicions and let them handle it from their.

Miles is offline Member

josvar:

In your state, is there no Code of Ethics governing what a licensed pharmacist should do in such situations? Should not the State Pharmacy regulatory body have published guidelines on action you should take? I would be surprised if there were no such provisions.

Miles

pharmd06 is offline Member

i don't know what state you are in, but if you have a suspicion you have a right to refuse to fill the rx. you could call the prescribing MD. remember no doc is allowed to write for meds outside the scope of practice. so if this guys is getting rxs from a buddy and it is not documented that he is a patient and presents with a need for the rx, then the rx is not valid.