Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Victoria1969
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Victoria1969
  • 1 Post By Victoria1969
Suboxone help!
    Victoria1969 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone help!

I’ve been on Norco for about 5 years 20 a day.. got off about a month ago then started 24 mg of Suboxone I want to Get off this stuff and quickly how can i do a fast taper with very little withdrawals?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria1969 View Post
    I’ve been on Norco for about 5 years 20 a day.. got off about a month ago then started 24 mg of Suboxone I want to Get off this stuff and quickly how can i do a fast taper with very little withdrawals?
    Holy cow!!! You were taking 20mg a day or 20 tablets? In any event, 24mg of sub in absolutely INSANE! I'm quite sure that this is what the doctor told you to do but he is dead wrong. No one and I mean NO ONE needs that much. As a comparison, I've watched people who switched to subs from H or very high doses of percs, etc like 300mg/day and they were able to get stable on 4-6mg/day. It's not unusual for people who are taking less than 100mg/day to get stable at 2 or 3mg/day. Subs have a ceiling of 8mg so anything more than that is just a waste. All is not lost.

The half life of sub is very long so there's a stacking effect. If you took 24mg yesterday you haven't metabolized that before you took more today. Even after a month, you can imagine how much sub you have in your system. A rapid taper rarely works and it can't be done symptom free. You'll need to slowly taper to allow the amount of sub you have in your system to dissipate to avoid symptoms. You'll reduce all the way down to 1/4 of a mg per day and then either do another reduction or begin a few skip days to allow more of the sub to leave your system. Don't under estimate the strength of those subs. It's estimated that they are 30 times stronger than morphine. Even a crumb of sub makes a huge difference. They truly are that strong. The entire taper could be done in 6-8 weeks.

First step is for you to immediately reduce that dose. I bet you could begin tomorrow to take only 8mg for the day either by splitting that and taking 4mg in the morning and the other 4mg 8-10 hours later or you can take the entire 8mg at once. Be sure to dose at the same time(s) every day. You'll stay there for 4 or 5 days to be sure you are stable (symptom free) and then you can begin your reductions. Have you read Robert's Sub Taper Plan? If not find it and read it. You can reduce by 25% every 4 or 5 days. You may need to stay at some doses longer than others but that's OK.

What do you think? If you're game to do it the right way I and others will be right here to help you now and along the way. Ask questions and let us know if you're ready.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thank you for answering me back you can imagine how scared I am! Don’t trust this damn dr it’s all about the money for him yes I saw Roberts taper can you please tell me if doing this will effect my sleep I’m raising my grandson he’s 1 and has lots if energy I hate being on these things! I was taking 20 pills a day if not more... can you please outline a plan for me I don’t know anything about this and need help plus I’m older too lol 50 just please help ... miss being on Norco had so much energy btw I was in pain management but also getting them off the street i went through a ton of money just need help thank you
    Catrina likes this.

What about cold turkey? Just want to get off know that sounds nuts!

Thank you for answering me back you can imagine how scared I am! Don’t trust this damn dr it’s all about the money for him yes I saw Roberts taper can you please tell me if doing this will effect my sleep I’m raising my grandson he’s 1 and has lots if energy I hate being on these things! I was taking 20 pills a day if not more... can you please outline a plan for me I don’t know anything about this and need help plus I’m older too lol 50 just please help ... miss being on Norco had so much energy btw I was in pain management but also getting them off the street i went through a ton of money just need help thank you
    I'm happy to try and help Victoria. If you're old, I'm ancient!! I was in my mid 50's when I finally got clean and I too have my grandchildren everyday. I'm assuming your have 8mg tablets or strips so I'll outline how to begin based on that but if I have the strength wrong, let me know.

DAY 1. Cut your 8mg tablet or strip in half and take half in the morning and the other half 8-10 hours later. I don't think you'll feel much physically but if you feel a bit off, it's probably all mental. Just hang in there and in a day or two you'll be perfectly fine.

Stay at that dose for at least 4 days. If you continue to feel well, then it's time for you to make another reduction. If you still feel a little off, stay at that dose for another day or so.

FIRST REDUCTION. Your reductions, at least at first are going to be by 25% or your new dose will be 6mg/day. 3 in the morning and the other 3 8-10 hours later. To get this dose, cut your tablet or strip into four pieces (each piece is 2mg).. Now take one of those 2mg pieces and cut that in half so that each piece is 1mg. Just take one of the 2mg pieces and 1 of the 1mg pieces in the morning and again in the afternoon.

If it were me, I think I'd cut up enough for the next several days. Cut a couple of the tablets or strips in half so that you have a few 4mg pieces and cut another into four pieces so that you have a few 2mg pieces. Put them into SEPARATE pill bottles or pieces of foil and be sure to mark them so you know the size of the pieces you've stored. Then when you need a 3mg dose for instance, you can just take one of the 2mg pieces and cut it in half so that you have two 1mg pieces. You're almost a week away so don't worry a about that now.

Again, you're going to stay at that dose at at least 4 days and then we'll see how you feel. These first reductions should be absolutely no problem at all but we'll see how it goes and we'll help again with the next reduction that will again be 25% or down to 4.5mg/day.

As far as energy goes, after a reduction you may not be as zippy as you want to be but it shouldn't be terrible. I'm absolutely positive that you are not feeling well because you've been taking such an enormous dose. Almost everyone reports feeling best once they get down to 1 or 2mg per day.

The most important things at this point is to be sure that you are accurate with the size of your dose; be sure to dose the same amount every day and at the same times. Lastly, never ever reduce before you are completely stable (no symptoms).

After a reduction you MAY feel a little off but you shouldn't be sick and it shouldn't interfere with what you need to do. It should only last a day or two and then you'll be stable again and so it will be time to reduce.

Ask questions if you have any and good luck!!

Peace,

Cat

I’m suppose to go down that much from 24mg to 8 right away
    Catrina likes this.

Sorry my last message was messed up!!! Ugh will I feel any withdrawals going down this much? How long will this taper last? Will this affect sleep? Can you tell me about your sub story thank you for helping me!!!

And it’s the strips

I’m suppose to go down that much from 24mg to 8 right away
    Yes. As I mentioned, subs have a ceiling effect at 8mg and anything more than that is doing nothing. If you're nervous about this, reduce to 12mg and from there go to 8 but I honestly believe that you'll be fine and I bet you'll feel better than you do now. Too much sub is just as bad as not enough. Most, if not all people say that when they're on high doses they feel lousy and feel much, MUCH better when they get down to 1 or 2mg./day. It's so, so strong.

It shouldn't interfere with your sleep. I have never taken subs myself but I've been here for over 8 years and have helped many folks with their taper. Look around the Forum for others who completed their sub taper and take some time to read their entire story. I'll go now and find a few for you and then come back and post links to get to their threads. Take the time to read each start to finish. It'll give you a good idea of what to expect as most people post daily or nearly so. Is the entire taper without bumps. No. But it's a lot better than quitting any opiate cold turkey and subs are an opiate. A very, very strong one. You've been taking them for a month at an outrageous dose so there is no possible way that you could quit or try to taper rapidly without having weeks of trouble. If you are diligent and do your steady reductions, you should be done in 6-8 weeks. Try not to look too far ahead because the slower you do this, the better you're going to feel during the entire taper.

I'll be back with those links and to ask someone who did finish their taper to stop in and leave you a post.

Peace,

Cat

Anonymous Guest

What the hell kind of doctor prescribes 24mg a day of Sub?!!!!

Okay, let's use that to your advantage. Stock pile for your taper, and save yourself money on the office visit.

Cat thank you so much!!! When I get time I will read them and thank you 1232 yes crazy huh...filling my script today so that’s what I will do stock pile for taper omg so pissed offf at myself! When I asked the dr about such a high dosage he didn’t answer me but said I wasn’t ready to taper yet! Just not going back to see him!

Took 16 mg this morning will stay on this for 4 days then drop down! This is a big step for me!!!

Also I am suppose to break this up I took it all in one dose my dr was having me take 24 mg all in the morning!

I’ll figure it out myself!!!!

Genscripts is offline Banned

Suboxone can be detected through drug screening tests via blood, urine, or hair samples. RxList notes a half-life of 24-42 hours in the bloodstream for buprenorphine and just 2-12 hours for naloxone. Typical doses of buprenorphine are detectable in the urine for three day.