Why are older drugs incressing in price?
    presbushy is offline New Member

Default Why are older drugs incressing in price?

I have been on methylphenidate for many years now and always fill my perscription at Rite-aid. In the past four months the price of my perscription has increased about 46%! I always buy generic (made by same company), I don't have insurance and my dosage has not increased. Why has the price gone up and why by 46%? Is this just Rite-aid or the pharmacudical industry in general?

I also noticed uroxitrol incresed by 10%, but at least it is a new drug and there are no generics for it. Ritalin has been around for over 50 years!

Please help me understand why this price jump is happening.[?]

Loiswrn is offline New Member

I don't know where you live, but we have a Costco here. If you've never heard of it, it is a membership warehouse, like Sam's Club that is associated with Wal-Mart.

You have to be a member to purchase anything at Costco, except prescriptions from the pharmacy. Costco is usually MUCH MUCH cheaper on generic medicines than any of the chain pharmacies. The chain pharmacies make most of their money on generic meds and sometimes increase the price up to 10 times what they pay for them.

I recently got 2 generic prescriptions for antibiotics at Costco for my older son, because he does not have any insurance. I saved $40-50 on each prescription. Both ended up costing me between $15-20 for each Rx. What a savings !!!

If you do not have a Costco or anything similar in your area, you may want to check prices on the internet.

I'm not sure if you can purchase meds thru the mail from Costco or not, but their web address is costco.com. Click on pharmacy and then you can type the name of the med and it will tell you their price for the drug.

Good Luck....

Lois