Generic Diet Pill?
    SuSu is offline New Member

Default Generic Diet Pill?

Small, round tablet. Yellow on one side with a capital A imprint, scored on the other side, Green colored with the # 4 then score line then the number 8 imprinted.

Also, does anyone know the symbol or letter/s that Mallinckrodt uses for an imprint on their products?

Thanks for all the help. SuSu

kirby is offline Platinum Member

SuSu,

This is a hard one.[:0]

So far I've found a round pill with A on one side and 4 | 8 on the other side in one database only, and that source describes the pill as Tab, Green, Yellow, White, Round, Scored

The database says the pill is Bontril PDM containing Phendimetrazine Tartrate 35 mg, which is a diet pill.

I also found a picture with the same imprint, but the image looks orange and yellow to me. Go to drugdigest.org and search for Bontril, and look at the picture.

Sorry I can't help more, but that's all I can find. Maybe Robo or Echo or Sleuth will be able to ID this pill for sure.

Now your second question is an easy one. Mallinckrodt uses either an uppercase M or an M in a square on its pills.

Kirby

Thanks for taking the time to get the information that you presented to me.

(1) I did go to drugdigest.org-and I agree the tablet looks orange and yellow to me.

(2) I went back and got the tablet I was wanting an ID on and if I turn it side ways, I can see a small line of white between the yellow and green. You would never notice the white in it if you just looked at it on one side and then turned it over and looked at the other side. You can only see the white in the tablet if you turn it sideways and look very closely at it under a light.

(3) Do you know if the pill you found that is described as TAB, GREEN, YELLOW, WHITE, ROUND, SCORED and is identified as Bontril PDM 35 mg. manufactured by Mallinckrodt? With Mallinckrodt using an upper case M or a M in a square on their products and the pill that I need ID has a capital A on it (but does turn out to be yellow, white and green) be Bontril PDM 35 mg by Mallinckrodt even w/o the Mallinckrodt imprint?

Again, thanks for all the time and effort in helping to ID this pill for me.

SuSu

Bontril PDM is not made by Mallinckrodt. As far as I know, Mallinckrodt doesn't make any type of diet pills.

Bontril is made by Amarin Pharmaceuticals, which is now part of Valeant.

Website is http://www.valeant.com/ but there is no useful info re Bontril on the site.

According to the FDA and the National Drug Code Directory, Bontril PDM is still being made - it has not been discontinued.

One question - what makes you think it's a Mallinckrodt pill?

Kirby,

I have a friend who ordered some diet pills online and on the label it has Bontril 35 mg tablets and has MFR: Mallinckrodt Inc. Hobart, NY.

She had brought one of the pills for me to look at and see if I could ID it and ask me if I thought it was really Bontril. I use to be a nurse for 15 years but due to a disability I have not worked since 1993, so I am not up to date on medications.

I told her the only Bontril 35 mg. that was green/yellow that I knew of was made by Carnick Pharmaceuticals and they have a "fancy" capital C imprinted on their products.

I thought that maybe Mallinckrodt was the manufacturer of the pill that you found in a database described as TAB,GREEN,YELLOW,WHITE,ROUND,SCORED since you said it ID the pill as Bontril PDM containing Phendimetrazine Tartrate 35 mg and after I went back and got the pill she gave me and looked at it closely I could see a small white line between the green and yellow on the tablet if I turned and looked at it sideways.

So I am a bit concerned about the product she purchased if they state it is manufactured by Mallinckrodt and to my knowledge I have never known them to make Bontril either.

If you happen to find out that Mallinckrodt does make Bontril 35mg would you please let me know. I have been trying to find out myself by searching online but have not been able to confirm what is listed on the bottle she purchased is actually what it says it is.

Thank you so much for your help and input regarding this. I cannot tell my friend with good conscience that what she has ordered and received is really Bontril and it is OK to take it. I have heard that some online pharmacies do sale fake drugs and I do not have sufficient information that says that this is definitely what it says it is.

Again, thanks so much for your help. Have a great day. SuSu

I understand your concern re the manufacturer and if the pill could be fake.

Mallinckrodt doesn't make phendimetrazine or Bontril under its own NDC number. But further research this morning shows the company has authority to make Bontril capsules. I think the green and yellow ones that say A 047 are made by Mallinckrodt for Valeant. I saw no FDA authority for tablets, but that doesn't mean much.

But Mallinckrodt does have an outsourcing facility in Hobart, NY. Other companies can have Mallinckrodt produce their pills under their own NDC numbers and to their specifications. So it's possible that Mallinckrodt does make A 48 and even the one with the fancy C 8648.

The only way to get a sure answer is to call Mallinckrodt. Here is the outsourcing info from the company's site:

Outsourcing
    Address 172 Railroad Avenue
    P.O. Box P
    Hobart, NY 13788-0416
    Phone 607.538.9124
    Fax 607.538.9857
    General Manager 607.538.9124 ext. 3003
    Marketing Manager 607.538.9124 ext. 3109
    Product Manager 607.538.9124 ext. 3024
    Technical Affairs Manager 607.538.9124 ext. 3401
    Administrative Assistant 607.538.9124 ext. 3041

Good luck, and let us know what you find out. Thanks.

Kirby,

I finally got time to call Mallinckrodt and talk to one of their managers this morning and was told the pill I needed identified is definitely Bontril 35 mg.

I hope I can explain this correctly. If I get something switched I am sure you can put it in it's proper place to be able to understand what I mean. It is all business/company related information.

From my conversation with Mallinckrodt's manager, it is my understanding that Mallinckrodt bought out Carnick Pharmaceuticals. I was told that Amarin Pharmaceuticals made the Bontril 35 mg tablets for them (Mallinckrodt). She explained that is why the capital A imprint was on the tablet--(stands for Amarin). She stated that the tablets were yellow, green and white and did have a 48 on the back of the tablet. So that perfectly describes the pill I needed ID, since the white is seen when pill is turned sideways.

As you stated in an earlier reply, Amarin Pharmaceuticals is now a part of Valeant. The picture shown at drugdigest.org of Bontril 35 mg by Valeant has the same imprint, the yellow side has a Capital A and a 48 with the score line on the other side. Althought the side of the tablet with the 48 imprinted on it looks orange to us, maybe due to poor lighting, lol, I don't really have a clue, it is indeed green in color and not orange. Except for the difference in what we perceive as being the color orange and not green, it is identical to the pill I needed to ID.

So if that is all true, then Mallinckrodt bought out Carnick and they get Amarin Pharmaceuticals to make Bontril 35 mg for them, and now that Valeant is part of Amarin Pharmaceuticals, the Bontril 35 mg tablets are now made by Mallinckrodt for Valeant??? (This is the part that I was afraid to try to explain to you. I hope I did not confuse you, but if I some how stated it incorrectly in business terms I hope you can understand it. As for myself, I am confused. Too many company names associated with one product).

But I can be assured that the product has been correctly identified and all the information on the RX bottle is true. Now my friend and I both know that the RX she ordered online is not fake, it is the real thing and can be taken as directed without any worries.

It would not have been possible without your help. You are so kind and patient to provide me with all the information that you did. I am very grateful for all that you did. I appreciate it and I know my friends does too. She should consider herself lucky. Alot of time and effort has been put into getting her pill properly identified. I volunteered to try and get it identified since she works 2 jobs and I do not work at all. But it feels like I have put in a days work since I first submitted the question, lol.

Again, thank you so very much. Have a blessed day. SuSu

Thanks for the explanation, SuSu.

Very interesting how these companies buy one another and then have another company make the medications for them! I had no idea Mallinckrodt acquired Carnick (I think that's the company that makes the Bontril with the fancy C). And I'm surprised that Amarin makes the pill for Mallinckrodt. After reading about the outsourcing department, I figured Mallinckrodt made it for Amarin (now Valeant).

The most important thing is that you and your friend now know that the pill is not a fake. And, thanks to your research, we know what the pill is for sure.

And, of course, we need to acknowledge Mallinckrodt's wonderful customer service.

Thanks, Susu, for everything. I know you said you feel as though you worked a full day for the answer. But it's fun and satisifying to solve the puzzle, isn't it?[8D]

Great job is all I can say!

Kirby,

You are correct about Mallinckrodt making Bontril for Amarin (now Valeant)instead of the other way around as I stated. Like I said I was afraid I would not explain it correctly but figured you would "know what was what and what was not", LOL. You seem to understand about outsourcing facilities and I really don't know much about it at all---wasn't taught that in Nursing School. Thank goodness when it came to drugs we had to learn the medical aspects related to the drug not the detailed business aspects of it. Like I said before, too many companies for one pill.

I just recall the manager at Mallinckrodt mentioning Carnick and Amarin when she answered my question. She said the Capital A was for Amarin and that Mallinckrodt was the manufacturer of Bontril 35 mg as stated on the RX bottle and that was what I really needed to know to confirm that the RX was legit.

Yes it is does feel good to know that when it was all said and done, even with my mix-ups regarding the business/companies of who makes what for whom, that the medication purchased online by my friend was Bontril 35 mg and it is manufactured by Mallinckrodt. It is also a relief to know that the pills were not fake and her money did not go to waste and the pills did not get throw in the trash can.

As for solving puzzles, I think I had better stick to doing the crossword puzzle in the TV guide. I still have a love for Nursing and Medicine but I enjoyed interacting with the patient and Doctor. I'm not much into research/Identifying meds. But thank goodness we have people like YOU who seems to enjoy it and does a fantastic job doing it. I don't know what your occupation is but with your knowledge and ability you could make a good living working in the research field.

Thanks again for all your help and when/if I need a pill ID, I will be expecting you to be the one to ID it for me, lol. Have a blessed day. SuSu