Green/White Cap GP3 & Orange/Yellow Cap barr 011
    markb is offline New Member

Default Green/White Cap GP3 & Orange/Yellow Cap barr 011

I have two unidentified capsules that I would love to have identified by the geniuses on this board.

1. Green and White Capsule reads: GP3 GP3

2. Orange and Yellow Capsule reads: barr 011. The 'barr' is on the orange side and the '011' is on the yellow side. The 'b' in barr is bigger than the other letters.

Thanks!

robo is offline Moderator

Hi markb

Don't quite fit the genius category - especially as so far I have only been able to solve half the problem! [8D]

The second pill is Tetracycline 250 mg
    Description: Generic for Sumycin®. Two-piece hard gelatin capsule with orange opaque cap and yellow opaque body filled with yellow powder. Imprinted in black ink barr 011.
    You will find an image at barrproductguide.com
    Tetracycline is an antibiotic.
    Info at https://www.drugs.com/tetracycline.html

I am pretty sure that the first pill is also an antibiotic (Cephalexin 250 mg) but I have only been able to locate it at one source on the internet and I like at least two, so am following up on that one.

Wow, when you said tetracycline, and antibiotics, I remembered where the pills came from. They were for my tropical fish tank! I went rummaging through some boxes in my basement, and I found the bottle that contains the rest of them. Apparently the antibiotics sold for fish are EXACTLY the same as the ones sold for people, but just repackaged and sold through pet stores. [:0] If you go to this page, you can see the bottle that they came from:

thomasveterinarydrug.com/mailorder/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=1

So if you want to save some money or get antibiotics without a prescription, I guess you can just buy the fish ones.

I also found the bottle that the second pill came from. You were right, it's an antibiotic also. Cephalexin. It's here in the fish form:

thomasveterinarydrug.com/mailorder/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=4

That site sells all kinds of antibiotics for fish, and I would bet they're all just human pills repackaged. I would assume they're safe to take if indicated, since there doesn't seem to be a difference between the fish ones and the human ones, right? I wonder if there are other veterinary medications that are the same? I bet there is! This is almost scandalous! [:0]

This may be off topic, but does anybody else find this to be a surprize? The more I think about it, the more amazed I am that the animal medication appears to be identical to the human pharmaceuticals. Can anyone think of a reasion why these would not be safe to consume as opposed to meds purchased from a pharmacy? Besides the antibiotics that I mentioned, is anyone aware of other examples of animal drugs that are the same as human ones?