i know its oxycodone!
    culoblanco is offline New Member

Default i know its oxycodone!

i have been on lortab 10/500 for about three years for my knees, recently my doctor gave me oxycodone 5mg to save my liver from the tylenol, the pills are small round and white with an m in a box on one side and 05/52 on the other side, now my question is what is the brand name equivalant of these, and also are they the same as a 5mg percocet just minus the tylenol? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Normankay is offline Member

Default Hope this helps

Generic Name: Oxycodone Immediate Release
    Strength: 5 mg
    Manufacturer: Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
    Trade Name: N/A
    Type: Analgesic
    Class: RX, CII

Found this

Yeah its percocet minus tylenol. Oxycodone alone on the script means oxy alone nothing extra. If oxycodone has something else in it, it would list its different name. Ex. Percocet, is 500mg tylenol, and 5mg oxycodone. This is just an imediate release form of oxycodone, which means it kicks in right away unlike the other form of oxycodone takes anywhere from a half hour to an hour to kick in. Hope this information helps. Also the site I listed above has a picture of what you described 05/52 on one side and an M in a box on the other.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-06-2008 at 06:46 PM.

culoblanco is offline New Member

Default thanks!!!

appreciate the info, i know my pills pretty well but i have not come across these before, but believe it or not i think the lortabs work alot better!!!

pokerpoison is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by culoblanco View Post
    i have been on lortab 10/500 for about three years for my knees, recently my doctor gave me oxycodone 5mg to save my liver from the tylenol, the pills are small round and white with an m in a box on one side and 05/52 on the other side, now my question is what is the brand name equivalant of these, and also are they the same as a 5mg percocet just minus the tylenol? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

To answer your original question on this, the brand name equivalent is OxyIR. Which as you already know stands for Oxycodone Immediate Release. As the above poster stated yes they are percocet minus the tylenol.

Quote Originally Posted by culoblanco View Post
    but believe it or not i think the lortabs work alot better!!!
    You are not the first to think this and there is a science behind it. While the effects of the tylenol on the liver are not optimal for prolonged health of your liver especially if you are using above maximum doses, there have been many studies that have concluded that people get significantly better pain relief from products that are a combination of Tylenol and a narcotic than they do with just the narcotic alone.

That being said, may I ask how much Lortab you were taking a day ? As you probably already know 4000mg/day is the max reccomended dose of tylenol a day and we don't want to exceed that. We certainly do not want to use it for extended periods of time either.

Percocet is available in multiple strengths with the most common being 5/325. 5mg being the Oxycodone and 325 being the tylenol. If you are only taking say 4 a day, I dont think that would be to detrimental using those kind of doses over the long hall. You may want to discuss that with your Dr. and get his opinion especially if you are not getting the pain relief that you need.

They also make a Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen product that is 10/325. The brand name for that is Norco. If the hydrocodone works better for you that may be an option. Also they do make hydrocodone power that does not have any tylenol in it either. Unfortunately, you will have to get that through a compounding pharmacy, as most retail pharmacies (I.E. CVS, Walgreens) will not carry it. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-24-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Culo, the brand name could be either OxyIR (from Purdue Frederick) or Roxicodone (Xanodyne). Oxy is much stronger then Hydro, but on a new med change sometimes it's hard to tell at first which is more effective, until blood plasma levels are reached and receptors attenuate the change. Give yourself 5-7 days before you decide which you like better. Another thing your pills are made by Mallinckrodt, many people report they are the weakest, you might want to try having a different pharmacy fill your next script or ask for another mfr's.

pokerpoison is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    until blood plasma levels are reached and receptors attenuate the change. Give yourself 5-7 days before you decide which you like better.
    For once in a while I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this statement. Peak Plasma levels with OxyIR is 1.6 hours with 60 to 87% bioavailability. You could make a case of receptor binding issues with existing hydrocodone in the bloodstream for up to 24 hours max because the elmimination half life on hydrocodone 4.5 hours with 70% total excretion of hydrocodone and it's metabolites within 24 hours. The only way I could see this taking longer is if this patient has cytochrome P450 pathway issues that would inhibit the metabolization.