New Type of Oxycodone Extended Release?
    tkclary is offline Junior Member

Default New Type of Oxycodone Extended Release?

Hi,

Just got a hold of some 40 mg oxycodone extended release pills. Ten of them. They are oval shape, beige color, '93' on one side and '32' on the other. Are these the new kind that gel up and become useless when crushed or chewed??? Because ,40 mg is too strong for me. I want to know if I can still break these in half like I have done in the past with the round ones.
    I heard the rumor about the additive to deter kids from crushing the 160 mg's or 80 mg's pills. Is that true? And if so, does it also apply to the smaller ones like these 40 mg's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Teva's Oxy, the 93's do have the gel, but they don't become useless when broken or chewed, but they get very sticky when chewed. The gel is a deterrent when free based and I understand they'll "snot" you up if snorted.

tkclary is offline Junior Member

Well, I have never "free-based" anything, and I have never snorted prescription medication. I don't plan on starting either. However, I have cut an older 40 mg in half and chewed it for quick pain relief. Can that still be done with half of one of these?

Tom

pokerpoison is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkclary View Post
    Well, I have never "free-based" anything, and I have never snorted prescription medication. I don't plan on starting either. However, I have cut an older 40 mg in half and chewed it for quick pain relief. Can that still be done with half of one of these?

Tom
    It used to be with the older tabs if you cut them in half you ruined the release of them and essentially got almost all of the medicine as an immediate release dose. As we counsel patients when we dispense them, I do caution folks in the same manner. I have not read anything or been told any different. Reading directly from the package insert that Teva offers with it says:

"These tablets are to be swallowed whole and are not to be broken, chewed or crushed. Taking broken, chewed or crushed oxycodone tablets leads to rapid release and absorption of a potentially fatal oxycodone dose."

So from that stand point it would be my opinion you should not cut these in half as you will probably get it all at once. Now if that's what you're looking for, well you get the point

SubxonSaves is offline New Member

Obviously you have an addiction if you're trying to chew a highly addictive and quite powerful narcodic pain med.. Instead of getting on here and finding out if it's safe to illegally use, how about contacting you local treatment center?

In the time it took you to Google the pill's ID # and post a forum, you could have just taken the pill and been fine, assuming that you are legit and do need the relief. Im speaking frankly in an attempt to help you, seeing as I (and probably more on this site) have done the exact same thing you are attempting. I used to snag pills from my folks w/o reading the label, then I'd have to either call the Poison Control Hotline or log on to a similar drugs dot com site to find that I wouldn't die or get sick.

It's all in the name: Suboxone does save and it will blow you mind how easily it can be implemented into daily life.

Good Luck to you, sincerely--

GW

slicklock is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkclary View Post
    Hi,

Just got a hold of some 40 mg oxycodone extended release pills. Ten of them. They are oval shape, beige color, '93' on one side and '32' on the other. Are these the new kind that gel up and become useless when crushed or chewed??? Because ,40 mg is too strong for me. I want to know if I can still break these in half like I have done in the past with the round ones.
    I heard the rumor about the additive to deter kids from crushing the 160 mg's or 80 mg's pills. Is that true? And if so, does it also apply to the smaller ones like these 40 mg's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have the same kind of pill except mine have a "24" as opposed to the "32" making them 10 mg. All they are is a generic form of the brand name oxycontin. There is no difference in the way the work, so you can crush or chew them for quick pain relief it that's what you feel comfortable doing.

Taylor