Prescription Mix Up
    mama3185 is offline New Member

Default Prescription Mix Up

I have been having a problem with severe sleepiness/dozing off. My dr wrote me a prescription for a trial of Nuvigil, which I took and was wonderful I was completely amped and motivated and could not fall asleep if I wanted. I honestly had not felt so good in YEARS.
    I had a problem getting my insurance company to pay for this prescription, it took about 3 weeks to get it approved. During this time I was taking Adderall which semi worked not so much and really made my stomach hurt.
    Once my insurance approved payment on the Nuvigil I picked up the prescription and it is not the same thing I got for my trial! What I have now IS Nuvigil, it is completely correct oval pills. What I got for my trial was a small round white pill.
    I talked to the pharmacy to see what they may have given me and they said they did not know since there is no generic for Nuvigil I should not have gotten anything but that. He did look on the shelf to see if there was anything round near the Nuvigil they may have given me by accident but he said there was not and he did not know what to suggest that would look like that and have those results.
    Please help! I felt amazing for one week and I find it so depressing to know how good it is possible to feel and have NO idea what it was the pharmacy gave me.
    The nurse practitioner at my dr said it was maybe Ritalin, but it was not.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Ask for the info sheetlet out of the pharmacists master bottle, not just the basic printout that they always hand out, that is where you'll find all the good info (and the ugly stuff too), it'll describe in detail everything inc the pill description. Try going to the Mfr's website and downloading the .pdf file, or Google the drug name plus monograph. Maybe they used a different imprint/color and shape for the trial. I guess you're saying there's some inconsistency between the trial drug and the trade drug you received, that's interesting.
    You might ask your Doc to run this by his Pharm Rep.

sarxws is offline New Member

First, find out if the trial pill has any differences than the current version as the previous poster suggests.
    If your concern is that during your trial of Nuvigil the pharmacy accidentally gave you something else, then they have to work harder to figure out what they gave you then simply looking next to the Nuvigil bottle for your description.
    If you find out that the trial pill is not the same shape and size of what you were given, then make the pharmacy perform a detailed inventory of their pills and any discrepancies should lead you to the pill you were taking.
    They would have deducted the Nuvigil from their inventory and should have a surplus if you were given something else by mistake.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

If neither the pharmacy or the dr know what you were taking we would be doing nothing but taking a shot in the dark trying to guess here,

I have no idea what to tell you unless they did a toxicity test to see what is in your system that isn't normally there. And the accuracy of the test would depend on the time since you took the med, lots of variables.

It's hard to believe they just pass out meds not even knowing what they are doing. I would probably be kind of annoyed at best and looking for someone that kept up more closely with what they dispensed to the patients.. They could have given you something that would have caused you very serious problems. Who are these people? God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

mama3185 is offline New Member

I know I am frustrated that I got the wrong pills, and happy it did not cause any side effects! I just want to know what it is so I can tell my doctor that that is what worked. As far as the pharmacy thing in the upper reply I do not think they would do that, I mean when I talked to them they were basically like I don't know what we gave you tough luck.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

I don't understand, you said the imprint "is completely correct oval pills", why do you now think that you got the wrong pills? Just because the shape is different? Are you sure the mgs are the same? I show the round white Nuvigil imprinted C<>205 to be Armodafinil 50 mg (Nuvigil), white, oval C<>215 is Armodafinil 150 mg, and white, oval C<>225 is Armodafinil 250 mg, if you got the round one's as you can see the ovals would be 4 to 5 times stronger, which is interesting, possibly the trial drugs were shaped and imprinted differently (but I doubt it), you will have to provide imprints for me to try to figure out what is going on here. Sometimes with ADD a more potent stimulant has the opposite effect, but I don't know if this would be true for a narcoleptic.

Your nurse practitioner's statement doesn't make much sense to me, unless you were in some controlled drug trial study.

Hope this helps.
    Cats