Round, scored white pill marked NU 150, and others
    banana is offline New Member

Default Round, scored white pill marked NU 150, and others

[?] Hello there! I recently found a bunch of pills in a film cannister and am having a really hard time identifying them with any of the resources I can find. I'm hoping you guys can help me. There is one I think I recognize, but when I look up what I think it is the picture doesn't match. I was on Elavil briefly years and years ago, and I swear that's what it is, but if so they must have changed their tablets. I guess that means that the other pills in the cannister could be old versions as well and that's why I can't find them????? Anyway, here is what I found:

1. Aspirin-sized, round, white pill - unscored, marked NU over 150 on one side and blank on the other.

2. Small, round, white pill - scored, marked PMS on the unscored side and what appears to be 305 above the score on the other side.

3. Small, oval, white pill - scored, marked with an logo-type P on one side of the score and either an I or a 1 on the other side of the score. This pill is blank on the back.

4. Medium-sized, round, very pale blue or green pill - scored, marked with CIBA on the unscored side, A on one side of the score and B on the other side of the score.

5. Medium-sized, round, orangey-brown pill - unscored, with 50 on one side and nothing on the other side. This is the one I think I recognize as Elavil.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me, even a lead on some type of pill identifier "archives" so I could check there. This has been a truly frustrating search! [|)] Thanks, from the bottom of my heart. Happy day!

kirby is offline Advanced Member

This one has been fun - and a challenge to confirm.

I found all the descriptions in a US database and confirmed each one EXCEPT #3 with either Zellers or the individual company or both sites. But that does not mean the information is correct. As you probably know, Canadian pills sometimes have the same imprint (white round 10 on one side, APO on the other side; or white round 10 below APO on one side; or blue oval 10 on one side, APO on the other side - etc.) These pills are very hard to identify positively.

This is what I've found and confirmed (but beware that other similar colored pills with the same imprint can exist).

1. Aspirin-sized, round, white pill - unscored, marked NU over 150 on one side and blank on the other.

Nu-Ranit (ranitidine 150 mg)

From Zellers:

Nu-Ranit is available in strengths of 150 mg and 300 mg.

150 mg: Each white, round, film-coated tablet, identified "NU" over "150" on one side, contains ranitidine hydrochloride 150 mg. Sodium: <1 mmol (0.37 mg).

2. Small, round, white pill - scored, marked PMS on the unscored side and what appears to be 305 above the score on the other side.

From Pharmascience:

Procyclidine HCl 5 mg

DIN : 00587354
    Therapeutic Class : Antiparkinsonian Agent
    Description : White, round, biconvex scored tablet Embossed "PMS" and "305" on opposite sides
    Product Class : Pharmaceuticals
    Compare to : Kemadrin
    Form : Tablets
    Strength : 5mg

3. Small, oval, white pill - scored, marked with an logo-type P on one side of the score and either an I or a 1 on the other side of the score. This pill is blank on the back.

Both the US database and Pharmascience describe this pill as round, and I can't find anything oval with the same markings yet.

Maybe another company besides Pharmascience has a P logo. I'll keep looking.

4. Medium-sized, round, very pale blue or green pill - scored, marked with CIBA on the unscored side, A on one side of the score and B on the other side of the score.

From Zellers:

Methylphenidate HCl 10 mg
    Ritalin
    Novartis Canadian DIN# 00005606 Stimulant; C II
    Ritalin® is available in strengths of 10 mg and 20 mg.

10 mg: Each pale blue, round, flat-faced, bevelled-edged tablet, marked "AB" and scored on one side and marked "CIBA" on the other, contains methylphenidate 10 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, FD&C Green No. 3, lactose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, sugar, and talc.

5. Medium-sized, round, orangey-brown pill - unscored, with 50 on one side and nothing on the other side. This is the one I think I recognize as Elavil.

This one is a real surprise. It's an Apotex pill, and the company almost always uses APO on its pills. But you are correct. It's generic Elavil.

From Zellers and confirmed with Apotex:

Apo-Amitriptyline
    50 mg: Each round, brown, film-coated tablet, identified "50", contains amitriptyline 50 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, indigotine aluminum lake (FD&C Blue No. 2), magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol (carbowax), sunset yellow lake (FD&C Yellow No. 6), and titanium dioxide. Sodium: <1 mmol (0.37 mg).

Check out the picture and description at apotex.ca

banana is offline New Member

Thank you kirby! How in the world did you find that all out so fast?? If you do find out any more about the white oval pill with the logo-type P and 1 on it, can you please let me know? Also, are there any good online Canadian drug identification sites that you are aware of? I could only find American ones, and like you say, the US and Canada may have some drugs with similar markings that are entirely different medications. Again, thanks for your help, you are an angel!

Happy Day!
    banana

Happy Day!