• 1 Post By Neb25
  • 1 Post By Neb25
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 2 Post By Catrina
1 month? on Suboxone
    Neb25 is offline New Member

Default 1 month? on Suboxone

Hey guys.. so I've been reading the opiate recovery posts on the forums for a while and I couldn't really find one I can relate to.

Basically I've been on suboxone 8mg strips for over a month, almost 2 months now. I've been taking a very small piece of the suboxone every day and Im ready to quit now. Does anyone know what my withdrawals are gonna look like? I've been addicted to oxycodones for a couple months at one point and the withdrawals took me about 2 weeks but I hear suboxone is 10x worse apparently. I just got called for a job opportunity and hope to be detoxed off of this stuff and feeling normal maybe within 2 weeks.

Anyone have any advice and input on this? I'm actually really worried as I type this and I've had a lot of an anxiety lately thinking about it

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

First off do you know how much sub you've been taking? I know you said you were prescribed 8mg. But you said you only take a little piece. Then I would read Robert325 sub taper plan. It's the first threat on the suboxone therapy sub forum. That is the right way to use the subs. If you follow that plan you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I jumped from 1mg/sub a day 41 days ago not knowing about the proper taper plan. Even 1mg/day is a hefty amount of subs. They are crazy strong. Granted I was on them for 5 years so I don't think you're in for as rough a ride as I was.

I'd encourage you to read others threads on here it really helped me over the past month. Ask as many questions as you need to. We are here to help you through this process. Good luck!! Stay positive!!! You can do this!!

Stay strong!!
    Beef
    Catrina likes this.

Oh yeah I forgot, Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

Beef

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

We're be more than delighted to help you through this. Beefaroni's post was spot on. Please do post again to let us know how much you're taking per day now. Try to tell us how long you've been reducing your dose and how long you've been taking the amount you're taking now. That's really important to know so that we can give you some advice and try to predict how this might go for you. This is entirely possible so don't freak yourself out.

It's going to be really important to divide your doses accurately and to not just take a "small piece". You're going to have to know the exact amount of sub that you're taking every day and what time(s) you take it. If you're not quite sure about how many mgs you're taking now, make your best guess. Do you have tablets or strips and what's their strength? That's where we start. Give us that info and we'll give you some advice. You haven't been on them that long so you really shouldn't have too much trouble so long as you follow the Plan carefully. We will help. Post soon.

Peace,

Cat

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. I had to actually go to the hospital because the suboxone was causing me cluster headaches for some reason ... apparently because of the naloxone in it. Was in tremendous pain and now I'm home with no more subs lol. It's been 2 days since I've had any subs so far and I just feel a little anxious right now with a lingering headache.

But anyway to answer the replies, I would say I was taking 0.25 of the suboxone strip a day and sometimes at night (rarely). I've been taking that amount for a month so far and like I said, haven't had any at all the last 2 days. The strength of the strips were 8mg I believe.

I guess tapering is out of the question because I took the last bit a couple days ago and I got them from a friends, not an actual doctor. I'll probably start feeling a mess tomorrow or the next day...
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

And thanks guys for the welcomes and positivity! I really need it right now. My mood has been kinda >>>>ed up from the headaches and not having any more subs (sigh)

Good morning neb. Hope this finds you well. I'm no doctor or expert but 2 mg a day of subs is still a pretty hefty amount granted you've only been on them a month or two I'm sure there is still quite a build-up of sub in your system. Have you thought about finding a sub doctor in your area and seeing if you can get some of the buprenorphine tablets like subutex? They don't have the naloxone in them that caused a reaction for you. If not its not the end of the world. People have jumped from that amount and made it. Id love to give you a timetable but everyone is different. My best advice to you is grit your teeth, grab some immodium, maybe buy some supplements to help out. Have you seen the Thomas recipe?? Like I said I'm no doctor and all I can share is my personal experience. Just take it slow, one day at a time. Keep your head up. This is only temporary. Clean is waaaayyyyy better. Keep a positive mental outlook and keep reminding yourself of why you're doing this!!! Post as often as you need to. No judgements here. You can do this!!! Reading others threads here kept me sane and my mind occupied on those sleepless nights. We are all here to support and help you through this!!!

Stay strong!!
    Beef

Good to hear from you beef, I don't really think I'll be able to go to a subutex doctor because I never got them legally. Then again I really don't know how it works so I can't say.. lol. Would they give me subutex if I told them I got the suboxone legally and took it for a month?

Right now I'm up and have chills, runny nose, insomnia, shortness of breathe, and some discomfort in the body. No restless legs yet but I'm well acquainted with that symptom lol. I hear day 3 is the peak of withdrawal symptoms and I'm not even completely there yet. Do you think I should make that attempt at getting the subutex to make this process easier and more comfortable? If it gets worse than this then I fear a relapse, but I'm hopeful and appreciate of your encouragement!
    Catrina likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello neb, welcome to this forum you have come to the right place for support. From what I'm reading you were taking.25 a day? If that's correct and now 3 days off stay the course. Subs are crazy strong so it takes time to get out of the system. Drink plenty of water helps the body rid of all toxins and you don't want to get dehydrated. Did I say drink plenty of water... keep yourself busy keep moving. Keep reading and posting let us know how your doing.. Stay Strong for Today..

It certainly can't hurt to look around. I can't imagine that if you told them about your reaction to the naloxone they would give you the suboxone instead of subutex. Just be honnest with them. Tell them everything about where you started and what you're planning from this point on. Suboxone has a long half life I think anywhere from 24-72 hours with a median of 36 hours. So it's hard to tell where you're at. It all depends on how fast your body metabolites it. And several more factors. But I know for me the worst of it hit me on day 3-4. And stayed awful for about a week after that. But I was on 16 mg/day for 4.5 years so I had a huge build up of subs in my system. It's hard to tell how long it'll be. But you've at least got a couple weeks to get through it. It sux but it is manageable. Seems to me like subs w/d isn't as intense as short acting opiates but they last much longer. Just nagging pesky symptoms here and there. I started a thread on day 11 and have been posting pretty much every day. So if you want to give it a look it may help. Like I said though you were not on them as long as i, so I'm sure that's a good thing for your time table.

It is doable!!! Keep your chin up
    We are here to help!!
    Beef

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey neb, as I do believe Beef has some awesome advice. I feel you should stay the course the withdrawals should not be that bad as you were only using the subs less than two months. Have you looked into getting face to face support, Na,Aa, Counseling, thearpy? I think you would benefit from other addicts who can identify with what you are going through. Keep us posted.. Stay Strong for Today..

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Good Morning,

OK. Maybe it's me but I'm a little confused. I went back and read all the posts here and I'm not clear on how much sub you were taking before you stopped. They were 8mg each and the only reference to the amount you were taking was "a very small piece" and ".25 of a 8mg strip". There's a big difference between .25mg and .25 of 8mg (2mg).

If it was close to 1/4 of a MG, then push through this and get it over with. Use things from the Thomas Recipe to help with some of the symptoms. If however, you were taking 2mg, I'm afraid that you'll be in for a real ride. My advice would be to get yourself in to see a sub doctor. Tell him/her EVERYTHING! It won't much matter how you got the subs before, these doctors work with addicts after all. It's not going to be a shock that you obtained your subs from friends. Get yourself your own script and then do a proper taper.

Can you please just confirm if it was 1/4mg/day or 1/4 of a strip or 2mg/day?

Peace,

Cat

Hey Neb just stopping by to see how things are going for you? Give us a shout

Beef