11 weeks pregnant percocet addiction.
    Anon25 is offline New Member

Unhappy 11 weeks pregnant percocet addiction.

Hi,
    I am 11 weeks pregnant and have been taking percocet 2.5mg 2-4 times a day throughout this pregnancy. I am so ashamed of myself and cannot believe I have allowed myself to get into this situation. I did not even take plain Tylenol through my first pregnancy and actually have birth with no medication! It started after several dental surgeries within a short period of time and taking them prescribed for pain to seeing how much "easier" the mundane housework and childcare was after taking a pill. I convinced myself they made me a better mother by allowing me more energy for long walks and trips to the park but the reality is as much energy as I get taking them when I come down it hits me like a brick wall, I'm now exhausted without them. I can cut down to just one 2.5 mg a day without getting withdrawl symptoms but the mental aspect leaves me very anxious. I am seeking advice. Should I try just 5mg or 2.5mg a day for a few days and then just quit from there? I have my second prenatal appointment next week and they will be drawing blood and a more detailed ultrasound. At this point I'mjust praying that no long term damage has been done to our child because of my weakness.

melindau is offline Member

Hey Girly are still with us...Ill be watching for ya!
    Melinda

I'm here. I have been researching and researching but I know no one can give me a definitive answer. It is so hard knowing I could have caused harm to this child...I only took 2.5mg yesterday and plan to keep with this for the next few days and see how body reacts and hopefully quit from there. The only good I can say is I think with this relatively low dosage the withdrawl should be minimal. I don't have experience with this though so mayb just wishful thinking. :-/

xyzloo is offline New Member

Hey Anon, I wanted to share with you that I have two children, with the first child I had severe morning sickness which I was admitted to the hospital for. I was given pain killers in my IV for my severe migraines. Then they sent me home with Norco 10's to continue to take and said it was completely safe, this was in my first trimester. With my second baby, I took Norco throughout my entire pregnancy, prescribed by my OBGYN, for migraines. I normally take Imitrex for migranes but it is not allowed during pregnancy so they gave me Norco which they said was safe. I stopped taking it 4 weeks before my due date as adviced by my OB so that it would not be in the babys system when he was born and therefore not have any withdrawal. I know that it is not the same drug as I was taking Norco and you are taking Percocet but I wanted to share my experience with you. Both my children are completely heathy and had no complications. Good luck mama, I'm here if you want to chat!

CatalinaRN is offline New Member

Default I can help and I am a healthcare professional in the neonatal ICU and addict

If possible can you switch to hydrocodones. Those are usually prescribed to the pregnant mother for pains/aches due to pregnancy. If your dose is low then you may be able to take them without any harm to baby for a little bit longer but all through pregnancy will most likely lead to a baby withdrawing from the percocets and they can spend weeks to months in a NICU tapering off morphineor methadone until their withdrawals go away and CPS will get involved too and you don't want that. AND NO SUBOXONE...this is terrible when it comes to your fetus. The infant will be badly addicted and spend several months in hospital detoxing off that. Believe me I treat these patients weekly. It's hard when your pregnant but scale back as much as you can if you can't quit. Good luck

Starrslide is offline New Member

Do not let uneducated people scare you about CPS and your infant withdrawing. You definitely want to keep your OB in the loop and ask for advice. If you lie to your OB you could have issues once delivery comes if your still taking the medication. They will recommend what is best for you. New studies and information suggests subutex or suboxone is safe to take while pregnant, (if you have a dependency issue) you just want your hospital staff to be on board with your decisions, and there is always one or two judgmental nurses along the way you will have to deal with.. Trust me you will feel much better once you have talked to your doctors.

Thank you for the kind words. I am on day 2 of no percocet. I was going to try taking 2.5mg every other day but then the whole time I just think about the next dose. I have mild chills and insomnia but the worst part is the total lack of will to do anything. Even a shower feels like a chore. I've heard withdrawl "peaks" at day 3 so tomorrow should be interesting. I haven't talked wwith my OB at this point but I'm hopeful I can be done for good at this point.

I have taken Hydrocodone in the past for dental visits etc. They make me pretty drowsy and the main reason I have taken oxycodone is the Super Mom rush of energy I feel when I take one. I knew it was becoming a problem when I started planning activities around them- (I'll take kids to park, clean house, take another one and finish paperwork.) Aren't they both considered thessame risk as Catagory C in pregnancy? Also, I can take just 1/4 of a 10mg percocet and need at least 7.5mg Vicoden to achieve the same effect. I think at this point switching from one habit to another is probably not a good idea. I do thank you for your insight though, as an NICU nurse!