Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes
150-200mg oxycodone c/t
    asp44 is offline Member

Angry 150-200mg oxycodone c/t

Somebody tell me this horrendous rls will at lease ease up a little. Had a lumbar fusion in 2006. Been on them ever since. Tired of taking pain meds so i flushed what i had left. That was 82 long sleepless hours ago. I can handle all the other symptoms associated with wds butthis rls is a monster.

asp44 is offline Member

Any replies would be most welcome. Also i absolutely cannot lay in bed due to the rls, so the last couple of nights i would hop in my car and drive. Well last night i must of nodded off cause when i woke up i was going in the ditch at about 60 miles an hr!! Luckily i was able to get back on the road. Well i decided enuf of that so started home and did the same damn thing again. So no more of that

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by asp44 View Post
    Any replies would be most welcome. Also i absolutely cannot lay in bed due to the rls, so the last couple of nights i would hop in my car and drive. Well last night i must of nodded off cause when i woke up i was going in the ditch at about 60 miles an hr!! Luckily i was able to get back on the road. Well i decided enuf of that so started home and did the same damn thing again. So no more of that
    It's very slow in the forums on the weekends. I'll be back a little bit later when I have some actual free time to leave you a proper reply?

Somebody tell me this horrendous rls will at lease ease up a little. Had a lumbar fusion in 2006. Been on them ever since. Tired of taking pain meds so i flushed what i had left. That was 82 long sleepless hours ago. I can handle all the other symptoms associated with wds butthis rls is a monster.
    Congratulations on quitting the opiates and flushing what you had left. You are going through the worst of the withdrawals right now if you are on or about day 4 from your last dose? Hopefully the RLS will be letting up within the next day or two? If I recall correctly a member here named Catrina said that her RLS let up around day 5 or 6? She used all kinds of opiates heavily for a very long time and has been clean now for several years! She has also mentioned that heating pads set on low and wrapped around her legs helped with the RLS. You can also try Hyland's Restful Legs, it's an OTC supplement that can be found at most drugstores and Wal-Marts? Also increase your potassium intake! Eat lots of potassium rich foods like avocados, spinach, sweet potatoes, bananas and coconut water to name a few. Take a good potassium supplement as well. Hot baths can help? Stay well hydrated with water and Gatorade! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!
    LaurieLaSalle likes this.

asp44 is offline Member

Thanks for the response ricky. Never again will i take these damn things. I think the main reason i increased my dosage was due to my father committing suicide 5 years ago. What a way to start your day with a call from the sherrifs department telling me to go to my parents house. I asked them why she said she couldn't tell me the exact reason why but that the coroner was on the way. I miss him a lot. But i know he wouldn't want me to keep taking them. He was a paramedic for 40 years and had to retire due to injuries. Well in about 10 hours it will be the start of day 5. No matter i will never use them or any other ever again.

asp44 is offline Member

Forgot to mention i am taking magnesium, potassium, rhodilia extract, multi vitamin & b6 along with a workout powder full of amino acids. Cant hurt. And walking only about 1/2 mile every day for now. Not easy.

LaurieLaSalle is offline Member

Hey Asp,
    You are doing fantastic and the worst i almost over. I was in your spot just under four months ago. What Ricki said about the heating pads around your legs and the over the counter restless legs meds both help tremendously, along with the hot baths or a hot tub if you have access. The is also the Thomas Recipe, sorry I did not copy the link, it is easily found on google and highly recommended on this site.I do not recoment the Benzo part of it though if you are not taking them now.
    Benadryl helps with the sneezes and stuffy nose, of course imodium if there are any bathroom issues and yes hydration....You should start feeling better very soon so hang on to that and please keep posting as you are going through this if you are having issues or just want a distraction and want to chat.

Wising you great success, You are at the finish line

Hang in There

Laurie

asp44 is offline Member

Good to hear from u Laurie. Its been tough but its gotta be done at some point. I do know i will never pick up another one. Dont ever want to experience this again. My turning point in basically self medicating came 5 year's ago after the suicide of my father. Lots of guilt. Keep in touch

asp44 is offline Member

Oh yeah what can i take for sleep? Tried melatonin but didnt work. Benadryl could worsen the rls so the hell with that. Thanx again

survivalist is offline Junior Member

Hi Asp,

You are on the right track and it will be over soon. I hard to think once i was there, heating pads is the tremendous help even in the warm weather. Hope you will soon feel better... Good Luck!!

asp44 is offline Member

well the rls was pretty intense again. Did manage one hr of sleep. Im sure it will improve over time. Sooooo tired and sluggish. Just blah!! Going to try swimming to get out of the house. Have not had power since Saturday due to the thunderstorms which brought a tornado with it. Hope every one is well and on the right track.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Asp,

Your are going to be turning the corner with the RLS very soon. I've done cold turkey countless times until I found this site 7 years ago and finally, finally it stuck. I know it sux totally but it's a blip in the scheme of things. There's all sorts of both physical and psychological things going on right now. Surely detoxing from opiates wrecks havoc with our bodies but the mental aspect magnifies it. Still, it's tough and I know it..

Sleep. Blissful sleep. If only we could just sleep this off, right? I assume you want me to be totally honest with you and so I will. Sleep will most likely be a bear for the next few weeks. I really can't remember exactly when I felt like I was getting an acceptable amount of sleep but I do remember that the first couple of weeks were nearly sleepless. It will probably begin to return gradually. I always found it amazing that I was able to go without having slept for more than an hour (if I was lucky) at a time and still function. I just keep thinking that I'd have to fall into a deep and long sleep at some point. Well I didn't. Not for awhile. Nothing really helped me either so I did the next best thing. I accepted that this is what I had to do and I refused to allow it to frustrate me. Once the RLS passed (around Day 5) I was simply grateful to be able to lay down and be still. I'd be sure there were movies on hand for the overnight hours and I'd haunt this site day and night. Anything to pass the time. I also found that sleep felt different for a bit. A sober sleep is just different so in the beginning even as I began to sleep for 4 or 5 hours, I'd wake up sluggish and tired and feeling like I hadn't slept at all. I suppose it just takes time to get used to it and of course, I did.

You are doing all the right things for now. Exercise when you can, be sure to eat, and drink tons of water or vitamin drinks. Just be kind to your body and begin to build a healthy life. The rest will come. One thing missing as far as I can see, is support. Long term sobriety is much easier with support. Have you considered meetings? I hated when people would suggest that I should find and go to meetings. I think that a common denominator with most of us is that we take care of things ourselves...like self-medicating. Think about it. A lot of us are loathe to expose our weaknesses and to ask for help. I know I was that way. No more. Why white-knuckle it when help can be found most anywhere if you take a look. I hope that you will at least consider meetings and/or therapy and maybe give it a shot.

I love your resolve that you are done with pills. That is the first step and you've made it this far so I know you're going to make it the rest of the way,. Reward yourself by taking a good long look in the mirror. Look at your eyes. Aren't they amazing? Clear and bright with big pupils. I still do that every morning.

Keep reading and posting!!

Peace,

Cat

asp44 is offline Member

I know its only been 5 days clean but wow im being hit by a huge wave of depression!!!!! Is that normal? In a dark place kinda scary. No matter what happens though i wont use that garbage ever again.

asp44 is offline Member

I guess being under a chemical fog of prescription pain killers for about 15 years is gonna cause extreme turmoil in anyone. No worries just tackle each day as it comes. The light is getting brighter, I want to feel its warmth now, but i will be content with where im at in my journey. I do have a support group. My fiance has been great as well as brothers & sister's. I just hope to return asap to the better, caring, personable me. And rid myself of the self loathing, solitary, unmotivated person i turned into. Cat you have a real knack for uplifting people. I hope you and all others continue to make good choices and benefit greatly for your selfless acts of kindness. Much love.

I know its only been 5 days clean but wow im being hit by a huge wave of depression!!!!! Is that normal? In a dark place kinda scary. No matter what happens though i wont use that garbage ever again.
    Yes, the depression is very normal and it is definitely a very scary thing! I went through it myself and I was scared out of my mind but I promise that it will pass!

You'll want to avoid all caffeine for at least a few weeks during early recovery. It's also a good idea to avoid alcohol as well limit your sugar intake.

I wrote the following to another member very recently, it very much applies to you as well.

Drink lots of water and Gatorade, eat a high protein diet, exercise when and as much as you can even if it's just going for walks.

You can try L-Tyrosine to help with energy. Also look into taking a good multivitamin and a B6 supplement. Magnesium and zinc may help with the depression and/or anxiety?

Just for reference, here's a link to the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal - https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html
    Most of the recipe will not apply to you now since you are through the acute phase of the detox but you may still find some of the other suggestions helpful? Definitely stay away from the benzos, they are extremely addictive!

You'll want to look into some sort of recovery program, NA, AA, drug addiction counseling, etc...? These programs can really help you in the long-term to avoid relapse!

You are well on your way, don't look back now! Congratulations on your decision to quit the opiates, you'll be in a much better place soon so keep on keepin on! Keep us updated on your progress? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

PS
    Always remember - "One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough"!!!

PPS
    I'm sorry to hear about the tragedy of your father, you need to release that guilt if you still harbor any? It will set you free and your father would want that for you very much!

asp44 is offline Member

RLS=REALLY LOSING SLEEP. Are there certain triggers that aggravate or set this monster off?

asp44 is offline Member

I cut all caffeine out years ago. Drink Gatorade & water like there is no tomorrow and currently take all the supplements u listed. My va doctor prescribed mirapex last Friday but unfortunately no help. Legs and arms r driving me bat sht crazy!!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I cut all caffeine out years ago. Drink Gatorade & water like there is no tomorrow and currently take all the supplements u listed. My va doctor prescribed mirapex last Friday but unfortunately no help. Legs and arms r driving me bat sht crazy!!
    The RLS will pass, like any minute. It always stopped very abruptly for me around Day 5/6. Once in a while it would feel like it was threatening to kick up again but it didn't. If it persists past today, maybe you could ask your doctor for some Gabapentin. It is prescribed for nerve pain but it is sometimes helpful for RLS. I have had bouts of RLS on and off over many years even when it's not associated with detox. I don't think it's habit forming but you might ask. I most totally understand how awful it is! I consider it the worst detox symptom, even ahead of sleeplessness. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it and I'm so sorry you're still having trouble with it. It's going to disappear very soon, I promise. Is today Day 6? If so, I'm betting if it's still acting up that today will be the last day. Have you tried heating pads around/under your legs while you're laying down? Not perfect but boy! They sure did help me get some relief.

Stay strong. Walk and take hot baths. I know you are probably doing these things and I'm sorry to say that you're already doing the things that might help. So close to the end of it.

Peace,

Cat

asp44 is offline Member

Not going to take gabapentin. I get so stressed about it thinking its gonna happen then it happens. I switched beds got another hr sleep. Yes today is day 6.

asp44 is offline Member

Im assuming that a persons body after 10+ years of opiates is going to have a lower tolerance for pain after stopping the drugs? If thats the case does the body in a way reset itself to the balance it had before the opiate usage? Long term opiate prescribing should be an arrestable offense.

Wook123 is offline New Member

Hmmm. Good luck man. You will get back to normal. I'm sure. Post got deleted somehow. Best if luck to you.

Prettytony is offline Junior Member

Your def gettin closer to the RLS ending and that monster is an excellent description. I remember literally running in place just bc it seems like your legs are screaming to be moved. The depression and wild mood swings are very normal. After long term opiate use your brain is reprogrammed to pretty much have our endorphins firing and releasing serotonin when we receive opiates. Therefore normal things that would make us happy, don't bc the endorphins won't release serotonin except for having the receptors in the brain filled w opiates. Also when we're used to medicating w opiates we become numb to the wide range of emotions and in effect sacrifice the pleasurable ones as long as we don't feel the bad ones. We rarely feel anything, or atleast that's the goal. The good news is our brains can and do learn to feel again and you can look at as like when a baby horse comes out the womb and keeps falling when trying to stand up bc it's brain and muscles aren't in sync but soon enough the brain will sync up and the horse will stand. Then walk. Then run. Know that the mental side of getting clean will take far longer than the physical w/d. I'd say around 60-90 days you will see a drastic improvement in mood, outlook, and brain function. Don't get discouraged 15 yrs of use cannot be reversed overnight. But it will

asp44 is offline Member

Thanks for chiming in there prettytony. U r right 15 yrs is a long time to use. I did go to my va doc yesterday to see if there was something that could be done for the severe rls. And i say severe cause the pain in the leg muscles is unbearable. I get the constant urge to move my legs & arms but there is never a feeling of creepy-crawly or tingling sensations just horrible muscle pain. I wonder if maybe its a combination of the lumbar fusion and nerve damage thats causing the rls or not. I also have a l5-s1 fracture. Who knows, antway he tried to put me back on the damn OXY!!!!! Told him no way in hell!!!!!!!!!!! He then told me to try carb-levo for the rls. It actually worked! Full 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The first part of this medicine does something in the blood to allow the second part (dopamine) to enter into the brain where it is stored until you need it. Mirapex and ropinirole are similar but didnt help. Anybody really struggling with this might look into it.

asp44 is offline Member

I wonder if this rls med will interfere with my brain trying to get right. I hope not but fear it will. So tired of this whole damn process already. 8 days of no oxycodone has been rough. How the hell do u people stay the course and get thru the first month?

spacie1985 is offline Junior Member

Hey there asp44. You are doing so well! Time will feel like it drags on forever for probably a month or so (at least that's how I felt when I came off of oxy) but it will ease up. The restless legs eased up for me about a week and a half after my last dose. How are you feeling today? I read your post and I relate to it so much. My dad ended his life when I was seventeen (I am now thirty one) and my addiction doubled after that. I know me saying don't feel guilty won't change how you feel about it so I won't say that. I will say that it's a common response and you have grown since then so that is something you should be proud of. I'm pulling for you!

asp44 is offline Member

Thanx spacie. Time definitely drags. I guess i am used to getting instant gratification when i pop a pill and in a way was hoping that stopping the meds would instantly make things right. Wishful thinking i know. I get out daily even just to run errands.

Cammy1223 is offline New Member

Trying to get better. I lost my husband and 1st son in 2014 25 days apart but didn't get on painkillers heavy til the end of 2016 then I lost my other son March 4 2017 . I was taken at least 8 to 10 oxycodone 10mg per day. I stopped once from Dec until mid Jan. 2017 then my son died in sleep. It's been 5 days today I've been clean. U wanna go all the way. Never smoked or drink til then. Not a drinker but I'm trying to stop smoking cigarettes too. I feel its rhe only way i could face my fear. I know that's a lie. Real pain and i cant eat

asp44 is offline Member

Hi cammy. Sorry to hear about all of your losses. That has to be extremely tough. I hope u are doing ok. I check back on here often and i will be more than happy to help u any way i can.

asp44 is offline Member

Cammy keep posting you will find all kinds of support! Best of luck

asp44 is offline Member

Ok so tomorrow will be day 10. Haven't been able to say that for 15+ years. The rls is still my biggest hurdle. Night time is the worst the days are getting a little better. Hopefully the nights will follow suit.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast