• 2 Post By Forceout
  • 2 Post By Forceout
  • 2 Post By Thomas543
  • 2 Post By 18yrsonvicodin
  • 1 Post By Forceout
18 years on Vicodin...
    18yrsonvicodin is offline New Member

Default 18 years on Vicodin...

I was diagnosed 18 yrs ago with a severe case of fifths disease that made every joint in my body swell double in size. (A virus I picked up from one of my kids that reacted terribly on me) The only thing that helped was Vicodin. I could kill the doctor who started me in this mess but he is long gone. It started 1 every 6 hrs and over time has turned into 8 a day. I am a massage therapist. It’s a physically demanding job and I have to be pain free and withdrawal free to work. I have tried tapering and doesn’t work. My PCP has been good (prob too good) about keeping me supplied with 180 Vicoprofens per month. I know I need help to get off, but the fear of being out of work and losing everything I have keeps me afraid to ask for help. If I go to a detox clinic or ask for help, there will be no more pills and I will be out of work. I have tried to stop cold turkey and that’s just not an option. I just need some help, ideas on how to get this poison out of me and make my mind rewire to be normal. I just want to feel normal and stop being a prisoner to these pills. I am the bread winner of the family and also teach part-time. I think if I had the luxury of walking away to a clinic for 3 weeks I could do it, but there’s no way I can be out of work! How do you get clean while trying to work? The pills are the only way I can push myself each day to have the energy to get my job done. This is my first time on this forum so anyone who can help or has any suggestions, they are welcome. It’s not a motivation thing for me, it’s a financial thing. Living week to week gives no time for me to get professional treatment. I’m worried I am going to die because of liver or kidney disease. 18 years and 6-8 Vicodin a day is all my body knows to function. I guess I am a functioning addict, but I can tell my tolerance is getting less and less and I don’t want to have to go to 10 a day! I just feel hopeless....

asp44 is offline Member

Hello & welcome, first of all unfortunately there is no way to be free of the pills without having some kind of discomfort. I have looked & looked for a magic way to stop the pills without feeling lousy but it just does not exist. If you absolutely can not take off from work then maybe you can have a trusted family member, or friend help you with a taper off of them?
    Its not easy & you will feel the aches & pains along the way but after a few days your body will get used to the smaller amounts of the drug.
    I have been doing this with percent for about 3 weeks now & am down from a very high amount to just one half a pill 3 times a day. So it can be done. Sleep is spotty for a few days each time u drop down in dose but improves. Maybe an option for you as well?
    18yrsonvicodin likes this.

Forceout is offline Member

Hello and welcome.

You have found a place that can really help you. It was the big difference for me during my taper of hydrocodone to come here all day off and on and share my pain, whine as well as get badly needed encouragement, support, and helpful tips to minimize the withdrawal effects.

I have had 10 plus major surgeries. Two of them very painful and lifelong sidekicks. Long term post surgery pain is not understood well by others and depressing to the one suffering. I mistakenly thought hydro pills were the answer for 5 long years. And of course, the doctors were happy to oblige right up until I threw them away 26 days ago.

That's right!! I was where you are. Same thing almost. Active job as an engineer in the field every day. Bachelor, but 53 years old and basically crippled in one leg. Wear a brace almost every day.

I tapered hydro over five weeks and then said goodbye. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life bar none. But it had to happen and now it's done. Like getting teeth pulled or something.

I want you to know that if I could do this, anyone who wants it real real bad can do it. It is not a picnic. But you only have to do it one time. Like boot camp in the armed service. Same thing. To me. IT IS A MIND SET. That's all.

I am marking your thread to watch. Others here with much more experience with the details will come. And they will stay. And I will come back as long as you do. And even longer. We at this forum don't leave anyone behind if they choose the clean life.

This is serious stuff to us and you are welcome here.

Don't let yourself have less in life than everything you can be. The pills lie. I promise they do.

I feel dang good on day 26. And I can always find something to be grateful for. Glad you are here.

Forceout
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Force -

Let’s see if this member returns. I see they haven’t responded since their first post. That unfortunately happens quite frequently. A member will join, ask for help, then never return. I hope that’s not the case here with 18 yrs and they come back to read the responses and post again.

Randy

Thomas543 is offline Junior Member

The taper has worked for me, so I PRAY you return and try it. I was up to 8-10 per day...and have successfully tapered down to 2.5 (only halves at a time) a day...and even that last 1/2 really isn’t doing anything for me, so I need to just go down. You CAN DO this. I was up to more than you said you were taking daily...so I know it can be done. I went down from 8-10 per day instantly to only 3 per day by 1/2 pills only. It wasn’t pain-free, though...I had restless legs, little sleep, and headaches. But, compared to the COLD TURKEY videos I’ve watched, my pain was nothing. And I’m an elementary school teacher...like you, I must have my energy to function. That first week was NOT easy, but it was NOT too hard. After about 4-5 days, it lifted, and I was successfully down to 3 with no pain whatsoever.

Like another person said, there’s no way to avoid all pain. And you didn’t get to where you are overnight, the road back won’t be overnight...BUT...you will have success. And it’s worth it. I am not in any tremendous position to speak like some authority here, but I read your post and it touched me. I feel your pain and pray you will find success. Please don’t just give up.

Bright Blessings,

Hello to all 4 of you that replied to me. THANK YOU! I am humbled especially on this tough day for me. I looked for a day or so for replies after I put it all out there and didn’t know if anyone was looking. I have never used a thread like this. Thank you for your encouragement and kind uplifting words. I just went to a different dr last week for a refill because my regular dr is out with back surgery. I saw a PA that was fresh out of school and going by the book on prescriptions. My 180 per month was written down to 90 per month. I told her she couldn’t do that to me and she said well, I will write it for 180, but she wrote the dosage 1 every 8 hrs....I panicked when I got to the pharmacy and saw a script for 90. There’s nothing I can do. The taper has started and truthfully I think this is meant to be but I don’t like not being the one in control. I waited until 9 am this morning to take 1 pill. I have journaled my symptoms this morning, maybe it will help maybe not. I have been to the bathroom twice and feel nauseated but I’m not dieting or anything yet. I’m just so scared of the unknown, but on the other side, I am hopeful to know what it feels like to be a human being free from these drugs. I really really just wish this didn’t have to happen at Christmas! Really? I guess there’s never a good time to feel horrible. I believe it’s a mental thing too? My mind keeps saying your going to be sick, you can’t dunction, your going to lose your job, etc. Maybe I can make this a Christmas gift to myself and loved ones this year. I don’t know if I can be clean and feel good in the next 12 days??? how long does it take and how aggressive should I be? Those are my biggest questions I think. I will definitely keep you all posted on my progress as long as you care to listen. I really appreciate those of you who have given me hope. I believe this may be a platform that can help me get through this. Unless you have been prisoner to the pills, you don’t understand the struggle. It’s hard for my husband and my 2 children to understand but I pray they never have to one day. Thanks again. I can’t tell you all how great it was to check this thread and see responses! I’m going to go try and take a hot shower. I took the day off from work from my day job but have to teach tonight from 6-10. Prayers are so very appreciated.

Thank you so much. I can’t tell you how nice it is to talk about this because NOONE knows or would know that I take painkillers on a daily basis. It’s embarrassing but not here. I don’t feel so alone. Thanks for your encouragement. I am going to give this all I’ve got. I’m not doing this doctor thing each month. I’m sick of it controlling my life! I’m 44 and have a lot of life left to live!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

So 4-5 days I should fell better? Tomorrow will roughest as I have 5 hours of massage appts. It is a physically demanding job but one that I love. It’s ironic I work to help others be pain free while I take pain medicine to keep myself able to do it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hello. Welcome! Glad you found us. This is a great place with a bunch of recovering addicts trying to motivate and support each other. I found this place when I stumbled here on day 11 of my w/d from jumping off suboxone. I was hurting and I found amazing people who didn't judge me and helped me get motivated and push myself to stay the course. I wouldn't be here without them that I am certain.

I'm sorry your meds got cut in half right before your taper. That sux. But you can do this!!! Listen to force and Randy. They are amazing, and will never give you bad advice. I can tell you that the pills lie. Getting clean is way way better!!! And you can do it!! Just take it slow, one day at a time. And very soon you will have you new sober life to enjoy!!

Get on here, read others stories. It helped me so much when I first arrived. Post as much as you want or need to. It's really therapeutic in a way. Stay hydrated, stay active.

You've already taken the first step (how easy was that?) Lol
    Keep doing the next right thing!
    Beef

Thank you beef! It’s 10:35 and I have only had 1 pill which on a normal busy day I would have already taken up to 4. I have showered, made the bed and started a load of laundry. I will try to stay busy in the event I get to feeling too bad to do any of it! I’m hopeful I won’t get to that point. I guess I should get some Imodium. My stomach is really upset. I don’t have an appetite and don’t know what to eat other than saltine crackers. Is there a good snack or food to keep on hand that I should eat? I’ve never really been a big water drinker. My downfall is diet mtn dew..I know.. it’s about as bad as the Vicodin
    Thanks for your advice. I’m open to anyone who can tell me anything to help me get through this. I just want be a normal person...I forgot who she was..

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Lol. Imodium was a life saver for me!!!! Liquid form as directed. And also STAY ACTIVE I can't stress that enough!! I had to work through my w/d and although it was terrible. It was the best thing that could have happened. It forced me to be active every day instead of staying on the couch feeling bad for myself. Bananas, stay hydrated and a protein rich healthy diet as much as possible. Keep posting and let us know how it's going for you! Stay positive!!! Get happy!!! It's gonna be all good!!

Beef

Hi Force, 1st thank you. 2nd, maybe you or someone can give me advice to get through the next 3 1/2 hrs...I took 1 7.5/200 Vicoprofen at 9 am this morning. (Normally would take 2 at 7 and 2 at 10 to get me through lunch and early afternoon) It’s 11:40 now and I feel feverish and achy. Is it normal to run a fever or feel like a fever after less than 3 hrs? Ugg. I’ve been trying all morning to get out of the house and be productive but all I want is something to make me feel better. Since my cut back from 180 to 90 per month as of yesterday, I actually shouldn’t take another one until 3:00. I don’t know if I can wait that long... should I take a 1/2 now and 1/2 at 3:00? Geez, this is crazy how bad I feel but I want to do this....I have to teach from 6-10 tonight. Long day ahead..

asp44 is offline Member

Hey 18 years good to see you posting again! Thought you had disappeared on us. Getting your meds cut in half is not fun, but it could also be a blessing in disguise. You sound like you are ready to tackle this now. It wont be easy but I know you will get through it a better person. Like you I have taken pain meds for close to 20 years. I have tried the c/t method more than once, and always ended up back on them. This time around I decided to taper them & so far so good. Im down to half a pill in the morning & again at night. There are some aches & pains along with some spotty sleep but overall the taper has worked well. In another week or so I will stop them altogether. While i know there will be some wds, but not nearly as intense as c/t.

asp44 is offline Member

What you are feeling is completely normal. Its just your body screaming at you to take more of what it is used too. I cut my dose in half to start my taper. Broke all my 10mg pills in half and took a half every 6 hrs apart. After 4-5 days i was pretty stable on the new dose, then just kept reducing. You have to fight thru the discomforr then after a few days you will feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by asp44 View Post
    What you are feeling is completely normal. Its just your body screaming at you to take more of what it is used too. I cut my dose in half to start my taper. Broke all my 10mg pills in half and took a half every 6 hrs apart. After 4-5 days i was pretty stable on the new dose, then just kept reducing. You have to fight thru the discomforr then after a few days you will feel better.
    Our experience mirrors one another. I did the same as you. I’m almost where you are. I felt horrible for about 4 days, like this new poster, but I pushed through. My benefit is that I didn’t have to work...it was over Thanksgiving break...being a teacher, that gave me 9 days. After about day 4-5...almost every symptom disappeared. That was from 8-10 pills per day...instantly down to 3 (in halves only). It WAS hard for about 4-5 days...but NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like C/T would have been. It removed almost all acute WDs. I only felt aches and pains, RLS, spotty sleep, and mild depression. That’s it. Now I’m down to only 2 per day (halves only) and same. No symptoms. I am going to make that jump soon. Christmas break is next week...almost 3 weeks off...that’s the time.

Bright Blessings
    Thomas (I also want to encourage the new poster...that’s really why I posted this. You CAN DO this. If I can...ANYONE can.)

Oxynz is offline Junior Member

I want to join in and give my support too, I live in new zealand where it's near impossible to get oxycodone but had a friend's father who had them over prescribed for years, he had at least 500 x 20mg instant release and 100 x 40mg extended release, was a unique situation I had been out of hospital from being assaulted by a group of nasty people. I wasn't really in pain anymore but thought why not, 10months later I went c/t I'm now over 96hours into withdrawal and can actually feel glimmers of happiness and hope coming through, its rough and addmittandly my usage may not have been as high or as prolonged but the pain still feels the same, I'm going to keep going and never give back in too the pain those nasty tablets caused. In the long run this I'm sure is nothing compared to many more months/years of drug abuse, I made myself an addict and now I'm re claiming my life!!!! We can and will support you all you need but the power is in your hands, I'm reading through self help books, watching dvds, anything. Keep your eyes on the prize and don't be too hard on yourself. Love to everyone struggling out there as we all know the pain, the doctors aren't here for you through this part, this is where you have to muster something from deep within yourself and fight your demons. You are in control not them!! When your going through hell just keep going!!

Well everyone, it was a night. No sleep, total body restlessness. I made it through I’m hoping my busiest day yesterday on 3.5 pills as compared to 8. I yawned all day, eyes continually watered and that caused me to just give up on trying to keep eye makeup on. I guess I look how I feel...Like >>>>! I took 2 Tylenol this morning at 4:30 but do not feel any relief. My legs hurt and just feel heavy like they have weights on them. My back hurts from my neck to my hips. I have to work today again so I’m hoping day 3 if this tapering will be a little better? Y’all said I could whine and complain and since my husband doesn’t want to hear it, I’m venting here. Going from 2 pills at a time to a 1/2 has definitely been challenging and I could not imagine how Inwould feel going c/t. Bless those who have done it. I don’t even know how to feel about the day ahead considering I haven’t slept at all. It’s like my nerve endings are like live wires and although I’m tired mentally, my body just hurts physically. I know this is mostly a mental thing. I don’t have the control over this the way I would like. It’s never easy when someone else takes your power away. Ya know, the doctors really don’t see this dark side of what happens when they gladly just give you pills over and over and over . Y’all pray for me today . Thank you all for listening and for your support . All I want for Christmas is to feel better.. ugggh Wish it would come soon! I’m not the most patient person Hope everyone else out there that is struggling like me has a better day and I am thinking about you all to keep my strength to keep pushing. Bless you all.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello 18, patience ughh I promise you everything you are feeling and going through is all part of the process. Keep up the good work your doing amazing. I am Proud of You, be proud of yourself. Keep whining we are all here to support you.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

I have PUPILS! I just did my makeup and my eyes actually look big and pretty considering I had no sleep and cried a little this morning. Wow, I don’t remember my eyes ever having big pupils...I feel like total poop right now but I’ve only had 1/2 a pill this morning so I’m pushing through it...Thank you for the support. Your own stories you have shared with me have really helped through a tough 3 days. I’m hopeful in a couple days to feel more normal? I want to continue my taper through Christmas. What is a reasonable decrease? I felt so nauseous this morning. Immodium helped. Tylenol..waste of pills right now.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Yesss beautiful eyes now look at that person Smiling at you in the mirror..
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Hello 18 yrs!!!

I'm sorry I missed your return to the forum!!

Welcome back. I am so glad you got back here. I feel awful about missing your return but I have you marked now!!

I will have more time in a while but right now I want to stress a couple of things.

First, you can do this! We here have all been through the same thing and it passes pretty quick. The ups and downs are very very predictable and WILL pass. Just hang in there and concentrate on getting through each day.

Next, you really need to drink water and Gatorade. The DMD is fine also so the lack of caffeine does not add to things but force as much water/GA as you can. And, take multivitamins. Eat bananas. These things are very important to help with leg pains and bathroom stuff and other things.

Last, you will feel the drop in daily amount taken for 2 or 3 days more than after that. Beginning the forth day on less you will level out and be somewhat more comfortable until you drop daily intake again.

Take your daily dose at the same time each day. Don't take as needed. This will go a long way later. You just have to trust me here.

You will be fine. It is mostly mental after the first few days of each drop.

Hang in there and I will check on you later.

We are all glad you are here!!!!

Forceout

Again, so happy to see you back, and yes, you will start feeling better and stabilizing on the reduced dose very soon. Then you go on to reduce again. I stabilized on .5 less per day for one week and then dropped by .5 every Friday so the first two days of a reduced daily intake were weekend days.

I threw them away once I was down to .5 twice a day for 5 days. That was 35 days ago and I feel great today. Working my rear off as a field engineer, 53 yrs old, 12 surgeries, including open heart......and I am kicking butt and taking names.

Quote Originally Posted by 18yrsonvicodin View Post
    I have PUPILS! I just did my makeup and my eyes actually look big and pretty considering I had no sleep and cried a little this morning. Wow, I don’t remember my eyes ever having big pupils...I feel like total poop right now but I’ve only had 1/2 a pill this morning so I’m pushing through it...Thank you for the support. Your own stories you have shared with me have really helped through a tough 3 days. I’m hopeful in a couple days to feel more normal? I want to continue my taper through Christmas. What is a reasonable decrease? I felt so nauseous this morning. Immodium helped. Tylenol..waste of pills right now.
    All that you are feeling is TEMPORARY! I PROMISE. It was HARD for me on the taper, but it only lasted about 4-5 days...I’m now down to 1.2 pills daily, will be cutting back to one half in the morning and one half at night...then I’m jumping. I kept just telling myself, “This is TEMPORARY!” It does seem like forever at the time, but it’s TEMPORARY...and you’re so close to being FREE. One morning, I woke up, and 85-90% of all symptoms had just disappeared. You’ve come so far, you CAN DO THIS. A year ago, I could NOT imagine going from 8-10+ pills per day...down to 3 instantly. I thought I was stuck FOREVER. I have HOPE now. There’s just something amazing about the feeling that you can do something you at once thought was impossible. Yes, the WD symptoms those first four days were hard...but IT. IS. TEMPORARY. And just think of all of the cancer patients who go through much much worse and for some...it’s NOT temporary. I have no justification to complain (even though I did lol). My momma died from cancer February 1st...she was suffering. I have nothing to really complain about.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Bright Blessings
    Thomas

Just wanted to give an update! I’m on day 6 and have stayed the course on 3 per day. (Taking 1/2 every 2 hrs from 7:30am -5:30 pm) I am doing ok. I’ve been drinking the Gatorade and eating well and I think the worst of the Wd are over (I hope!) I made it through tough days at work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, did a whole day of Christmas shopping Saturday and had an early Christmas with some family yesterday. I guess the biggest thing is feeling low on energy, but it comes and goes. I actually slept more last night than I have in a week. Tomorrow will be day 7. My biggest question to everyone is when do I do the next taper and how much of a taper and how long for each one. I don’t want to do it too soon but I don’t want to drag this out longer than I have to! Love to all! Have a great day and thank you all for your encouragement and support!

Hello 18,

That is a great update!!! Congrats!!

At work with not much time but JFTR, I went down by .5 each Friday until I was at .5 twice a day. Worked as good as I could have expected. Remember, I was on Vic also. So same thing as you almost.... as I was on it for 5 yrs at 40 mg per day.

I am soooo happy for you, omg!! Just keep pushing!!!! And remember, it's awesome on the other side......waaaaay better!!! I promise! So glad you are here.

Forceout

Day 38 for me after 5 yrs on.

Hey there 18!

Just a quick drive by to say I'm proud of you for getting to this point. I know right where you are in the taper you describe. Not too terrible, right?

Awesome!!! You can do this! I know you can.....

I'm excited for you. The more excited you get for yourself the easier it gets... hang in there.

Forceout

Thank you for the encouragement. It’s not unbearable but I’ve just been so blah. I still an not sleeping. Been up since 12:45 and still struggling to get my body to rest. I didn’t take my last 1/2 yesterday so it was a 2 1/2 pill day for the first time. Maybe I shouldn’t try to taper so quickly? It’s hard doing this over the holidays and knowing I am just 1 pull away from a few hours of relief but I’m staying the course. I really don’t have an appetite and have been pushing the Gatorade. I believe it’s time to change it up from orange flavor. The nausea and tiredness has been my biggest issue til now. If I could just sleep.... It’s 4:08 am. 7 days on 3. 1 day on 2 1/2. Who knows what today will bring. Hoping it’s a better nights sleep.

Hey There 18,

I know the blahs all too well. That may have been the worst thing. It settles down after a couple days at the new dose. It's hard to see it when you are 'in' the moment but most of it, almost all of it is mental.

The first two days after a drop in dosage was very noticeable to me. Then I more or less got used to the new amount. I will admit the end two or three weeks of the taper is challenging but when it's over........well, it's bigtime over!!!

Over as in no more pills and you actually feel good normal! Hard to imagine but that is what is coming for you. I promise.

You are doing great. Keep it up.

Another thing. This is hard to do but possible, occupy yourself any way you can. Don't dwell on the past or future. Just get through each day right now. Before you know it .....the sun comes out and you start to really focus on so much more stuff!! Like your new life!!

Again, just stay strong for today. One day at a time.

Forceout

Ouch456 is offline New Member

The pills lie. Three little words, so true, thank you Forceout