2 weeks on Ativan / Lorazepam 2mg daily - do I need to taper?
    Chineoh is offline New Member

Default 2 weeks on Ativan / Lorazepam 2mg daily - do I need to taper?

Hi there,

So I was prescribed 30 1mg tablets a few weeks ago for an ongoing anxiety disorder. I went through them over a two week period (approx 2mg a day). They were prescribed to see me through until I saw a psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist gave me a plan of attack for my anxiety (which is quite severe) involving Prozac at a gradual increase and Risperidone (0.5mg to help with sleep). So I stopped taking Ativan 3 days ago on his advice as he said because I was only on it for two weeks and didn't need to taper.

The last two nights have been rough to say the least, sleeping 2-3 hours per night and experiencing constant anxiety through each day and an elevated heart rate, lack of appetite and muscle tension. I rang the psychiatrist yesterday to discuss this with him but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Am I experiencing a rebound effect? From what I can see searching the forums is that 2 weeks at 2mg per day is not extensive and thus doesn't require a taper. Should I expect these symptoms to end shortly? They are quite frightening.

Thanks in advance.

Chineoh is offline New Member

UPDATE:

I saw my psych today after 3 really rough days. He said he's never seen it before but I built up an addiction in the two weeks I was on Atvian. He has me on a 3 week taper with Diazepam. 3 days at 15mg , 2 weeks at 10mg and then 1 week at 5mg.