Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By edgar0517
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
3rd Attempt at kicking Codiene
    edgar0517 is offline New Member

Default 3rd Attempt at kicking Codiene

Hi all,

Ive read though these forums for some months now and noticed some interesting and helpful ideas (some bonkers but then we’re on drugs

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Edgar welcome to the forum. Yes this forum is amazing has helped me to get my life back. Yup I'm bonkers but I can tell you I'm not on drugs and am grateful for all here that support me.
    If you have come to this forum for support you have found a home here.
    Give us alittle background about yourself how much how long you have abused drugs I see it's your 3rd attempt did you try to taper or quit cold turkey?
    Again welcome..
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Hi all,

Ive read though these forums for some months now and noticed some interesting and helpful ideas (some bonkers but then we’re on drugs). Ive realised its far more helpful and encouraging to be around other people who have or are currently experiencing the same issues, so today I've registered.

I noticed the eurphoric feeling from codeine about 3 years ago now as I had injured myself in my job and then prescribed solpadol. For the last 2 years I've been buying OTC Nurophen or generic branded Ibuprofen and Codeine, I take 16 tablets in the morning and then often another 16 around 1700hrs, which means I buy a box a day for around £5-7 (more alarmingly I get them from the same chemist each day), I have been to a doctor and spoke to him about this and he was helpful enough to prescribe me codeiene without the ibuprofen as this could be harmful in large amounts (I have given bloods and everything works well).

So now its time to face the facts and kick the codiene, I have tried to cold turkey one time but got to day 3 and couldnt take all the syptoms and went straight back to it telling myself “I will do this within this month” up until last month Ive used codeine everyday, after seeing my doctor he decided to prescribe the codeine and over a few months we would lower the dosage, however after day 2-3 of no happy warm fuzzy feeling I caved and went straight to the chemist and started using again but this time had a few extra codeine Mg for the road, it got to the last dosage of the codiene and the doctor thinks I've done really well, he even gave me a week of light duties at my cousins house (who knows of the issue and was happy for me to withdraw there), I chose my cousin as I thought she would be my uplifter keeping me happy and being a massive rock and fill me with positive confidence, I was determined to do this, I got straight into the worst issues like restless legs, insomnia, squirts, being sick, palpitations and sweats but as I was always looking like death my cousin just kept telling me to sort my attitude and stop moping around and feeling sorry for myself, also telling me to stay up until 10 cos she thought that would help me sleep, she thinks she knows it all but unfortunately on this occassion she couldnt of been more of a negativity for me and so the only way of mending my way and “my face” was go the chemist............here we are now Im off for Christmas and for 3 weeks this time, Im staying with my parents this time who dont know of the issue and I dont know whether to just start feeling rough as ive caught something or confess Im withdrawing from opiates and them kick off forcing me to get my chill on with another 16.

I know the problems Im going to face and theres 3 major symptoms that if I could sort those I could manage the rest easily and those are:

Restless legs
    Insomnia (sometime due to restless legs)
    Palpitations

If only there was something over the counter to give the same effects of codiene but not be addictive. so Plan A is simply cold turkey
    Plan B is to buy 1 more box and only take 4 tablets a day to help ease the syptoms, then in the last 2 weeks cold turkeying from 4 will be nothing, but thats me just prolonging the situation.

In my job taking these painkillers is incompatible, so I feel I could go back to the doctor and tell them Ive been using again and I think he will be helpful again and maybe this time I should listen, but my work is constant and it doesnt take long for me to become massively depressed and I know the simple cure is codeine, the real honest cure is to just ride it out, if I carry on using or lying to the doctor Im going to lose my job and everything ive worked for, but as drug addiction like mine is a very dark shadowy place theres not much useful help or understanding from my seniors.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-16-2017 at 09:38 AM.

appologies, for some reason as I had a laughing face emoji the forum was treating that as a full stop and didnt post anything after that ??

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Edgar Sorry no one has responded sooner. Hang in there people will swing by to support you. So your plan moving forward taper or coldturkey. I see you have tried to taper than you said you caved in. I'm sorry to tell you there is no cure no magic pill to get through the withdrawal process. We have to pay the consequences of our past actions. It takes time for our body and brain to heal from all the garbage we have put in us. You really have to want this for yourself. The withdrawals will come and go just think of it like having a bad flu. Then you have to be Mentally prepared to stay clean. The Diease of Addiction is cunning, insidious you need the tools to cope with all that. Have you looked into getting face to face support Na AA thearpy counseling? It will give you the tools to handle life clean, one addict helping another addict it will hold you accountable. Keep posting let us know what you decide moving forward. We are all here to support you..be well..
    ***Stay Strong for Today***