Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Angel1961
4 days clean-need advice
    Angel1961 is offline New Member

Default 4 days clean-need advice

I am a new member and I am on day 4 of being opiat free. I have gone cold turkey, and very discouraged. Please someone help me.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Angel,

We are here to help. Tell us a little more about yourself please. What were you taking and how much per day and for how long. I know this is hard and you feel like poo right now. Let us know your history of use and we can better answer your questions and might be able to give you an idea about how much longer the physical symptoms are going to last.

Are you taking any comfort meds? Protein drinks, vitamins, Immodium, Clonidine, anything? There are over the counter products that can help. Won't make it go away entirely, but will help just a little and at this point, even a little is better than nothing.

Peace,

Cat

Hi, thank you so much for replying to me. You were the only one. I have been taking norcos 10s and percs , for 8 years. Never missing a day. My script was for 240 a month, which was 8 a day, but as time went on, needless to say I was up to 10 12 on some days. So my script would be done, and then I would ask friends to borrow some till I refilled and gave back. So on and on this went. I finally reached a point that I had no control of how many I would take, and use them as an excuse for any problem during the day, wanting to go out for dinner, (so I would be in a good mood) or just sitting home being bored so I would have energy to clean the house. I'm sure u know the drill. I'm now on day 5 at 4pm. And I still have th craving, no energy, and just plain blah, can u give me any advise? Thanks again for getting back to me.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angel1961 View Post
    Hi, thank you so much for replying to me. You were the only one. I have been taking norcos 10s and percs , for 8 years. Never missing a day. My script was for 240 a month, which was 8 a day, but as time went on, needless to say I was up to 10 12 on some days. So my script would be done, and then I would ask friends to borrow some till I refilled and gave back. So on and on this went. I finally reached a point that I had no control of how many I would take, and use them as an excuse for any problem during the day, wanting to go out for dinner, (so I would be in a good mood) or just sitting home being bored so I would have energy to clean the house. I'm sure u know the drill. I'm now on day 5 at 4pm. And I still have th craving, no energy, and just plain blah, can u give me any advise? Thanks again for getting back to me.
    Hang in there! I know it's hard but I think you're through the worst of the withdrawals by now? Keep hydrated, drink lots of water and eat as healthy as possible. If you can, try to get some exercise. Cat will be by again soon and will be better able to give you a timeline of symptoms and what you should expect going forward? Stay the course, you're doing great! Best wishes. Take care... God bless us all!

Hi, thank u for replying to me. I am now on day 6. The physical symptoms have subsided a little. But emotionally its really tough. I've told as many people as I could for their help and prayers. I can't believe Drs. Are able to prescribe these evil meds. But, actually when u need them they help, but I abused them for 8 years. If anyone can help with suggestions on still craving the energy. Thanks everyone, and God Bless

Hi Angel,

Sorry I missed you yesterday. Don't know how I managed that. Yes, most of your physical symptoms should be much better by now. What remained for me was fatigue, inability to sleep, and I still had some frequent bathroom trips. Immodium took care of that and compared to all the rest of it, it's hardly worth mentioning. More of an inconvenience.

The fatigue will hang around for a few more days, maybe a week but you'll feel a bit different everyday. Even some portions of days will probably feel much better then your energy will drop again. Everything is sort of upside down until your brain and body adjust to being opiate free. The sleep is oh so gradual to come back, I'm sorry to say. It's different for each of us. I abused for almost 20 years and I think around Week 3 I was able to sleep enough at night to begin to feel rested. Around 5 hours. I know that doesn't sound like much, but here I am over six years later and I need around 6. I vaguely remember never needing much sleep so for me, I guess my sleep patterns were back at around 3 weeks. Others don't take as long. This is most definitely one of the most frustrating parts of recovery and there's not much to do about it but be strong and wait it out. You can try some Melatonin and Sleepy Time Tea. Those help some people sleep. Oh but not me! They did relax me though making it a little easier.

The cravings. Try to remember that in spite of what many people believe, they are real and they're no fun. It is more than mind over matter. Your receptors are begging and that's how they do it. They manifest themselves in many ways. You might be more sensitive to pain for instance. Those receptors are stripped bare right now and you'll begin to feel better as soon as those chemicals start to refire on their own. And they will once some time goes by and they recognize that you're not going to feed them artificially anymore. In the meantime, exercise helps. Know what helped me the most? Laughter!! In my early days in spite of being dog tired, I'd force myself to be around anyone or anything that would make me laugh.

Remember too that they call this a habit for a reason. We become accustomed to taking something...first thing in the morning, or just like you said yourself...if you're bored or need energy. Those pills become our best friend and begin to get us through everything. Until they don't. Any habit is hard to break and this one is a doozy. Try to change up how you do things. For instance, if you're like most of us, the first thing you did in the morning was to get your first dose out. Instead, get out of bed as soon as you wake up. Leave your bedroom and begin a new routine. Mine is to start brewing my first cup of coffee and to put the news on. I don't much care if it's 3:30am.. If I'm awake, I'm up!

Try to stay busy. I know you don't feel like painting the house but anything will do. Housework. Shopping. Walking. Take notice of sights and smells and embrace all of your emotions. Even the bad ones. I recall one day being absolutely furious at the world. I guess I decided to get angry at every wrong done to me during my entire life in that one day. It felt spectacular! I only then realized just how numb I had been. I couldn't remember the last time anything made me angry.

Be proud of yourself because you have much to be proud of. Begin to forgive yourself. This is so important. We tend to be harder on ourselves than anyone else is. We're not perfect. We're just trying to do the next best thing.

Keep updating.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat,
    I truly don't know how to thank you enough for all

Hi Cat,
    I truly don't know how to thank you for all your support. You are the only person who has helped or responded to me. Your words of encouragement have helped me so so much. I am now on day 7. And honestly I'm feeling great. Yes i do still have a hard time in the am. As soon as I would wake up, I would pop 2, even before my coffee. I am having a hard time with that. During the day, I'm pretty good. I have been saying the serenity prayer almost all day. And I pray that I can remain clean. Again cat, thank you so much, please stay on top of me. Thanks and God Bless
    Catrina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel1961 View Post
    Hi Cat,
    I truly don't know how to thank you for all your support. You are the only person who has helped or responded to me. Your words of encouragement have helped me so so much. I am now on day 7. And honestly I'm feeling great. Yes i do still have a hard time in the am. As soon as I would wake up, I would pop 2, even before my coffee. I am having a hard time with that. During the day, I'm pretty good. I have been saying the serenity prayer almost all day. And I pray that I can remain clean. Again cat, thank you so much, please stay on top of me. Thanks and God Bless
    First thing in the morning is difficult at the beginning. Just try to begin to create a new habit. I'm telling you. It works. I think someone (actually I know who it was but she doesn't post much anymore) said that it takes 2 weeks of repeating an action for it to become a habit. Everything is slower and sleepy first thing when we wake up. Those pills for me were like a shot of energy. I found I just need to get moving and it actually doesn't take that long before I begin to wake up and feel better. Just don't ask me to give up my coffee. Ain't happening!

Peace,

Cat

lost89 is offline New Member

Angel, I hope your feeling better. I know how you are feeling. Right now you are having to relearn how to do everything sober. I'm at 33 days and there are still times that I don't know how to handle sober. But getting through the firsts of everything sober will give you strength. I gave myself little tasks the first week or 2. I still get cravings but I come read posts on here for support