Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
4th day on bupe, feeling awful, please help
    Nikki281093 is offline New Member

Default 4th day on bupe, feeling awful, please help

Hi. I’m a long time reader of these boards but first time poster. I have had a codeine addiction for around 14 years, taking upwards of 640mg codeine a day. I have been on suboxone before and felt fantastic and managed to taper off, but unfortunately relapsed. This most recent time, I went to the services in my area that help, and after a lot of back and forth they agreed I needed to be put onto buprenorphine again. My drug of choice was nurofen plus and taking 50+ of those a day has nearly killed me, I’ve spent months and months in hospitals with stomach issues and even spent weeks in intensive care after stomach issues nearly killed me, so getting off and staying off of these drugs, my life depends on it. So the dr decided to start me on 16mg of buprenorphine, HOWEVER, suboxone is now too expensive in my area and what they prescribe is espranor which dissolves ON the tongue. I had strict instructions not to take it too early as it would send me into withdrawals and I’ve done it twice before with no issues so thought I was okay. I left it 25 hours after my last codeine dose and thought I scored a 26 on the COWS scale so on Saturday night started with 4mg as told by my dr. After an hour or so I felt no better so I took another 4, then another 4, and another. I 100% sent myself into withdrawals, without a doubt. I couldn’t even sit still for 1 second. I was hot and sweaty, couldn’t sleep, it was awful, but I eventually fell asleep around 3 and woke up at 8 Sunday morning. I felt better, I could sit still, but my pupils were beyond huge and I was sweating and gooseflesh all day. I took my full sub dose at the same time Sunday evening as told by my doctor and felt okay until I woke at about 2am with the worst cold sweats of my life. I didn’t sleep another wink till eventually gave up and got out of bed at 6am Monday morning. Needless to say I felt absolutely wretched. Hot and cold, pupils massive again, sweat drenching me. I was due to go to work, and I had to phone in sick. I went to the chemist and took my dose around 11:30. I felt slightly better after taking it, though still having the sweats and huge pupils. I went to bed at 8:30 exhausted and managed 2 hours when lo and behold I woke up at 11:30 sweating again. That was it for sleep, I writhed in bed until I gave up at 6 this morning, Tuesday. I have again had to call in sick. I am beyond confused. I am aware I clearly didn’t indict correctly but I absolutely cannot stop and try again, the service I see won’t allow it. So what is going on, or what will help me?! I have a full time job working in a hospital and calling in sick majorly screws everyone else over. Why am I getting withdrawals still, why am I feeling like this, it’s testing every bit of patience I have, I am tired of feeling like this, I just want some relief

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki281093 View Post
    Hi. I’m a long time reader of these boards but first time poster. I have had a codeine addiction for around 14 years, taking upwards of 640mg codeine a day. I have been on suboxone before and felt fantastic and managed to taper off, but unfortunately relapsed. This most recent time, I went to the services in my area that help, and after a lot of back and forth they agreed I needed to be put onto buprenorphine again. My drug of choice was nurofen plus and taking 50+ of those a day has nearly killed me, I’ve spent months and months in hospitals with stomach issues and even spent weeks in intensive care after stomach issues nearly killed me, so getting off and staying off of these drugs, my life depends on it. So the dr decided to start me on 16mg of buprenorphine, HOWEVER, suboxone is now too expensive in my area and what they prescribe is espranor which dissolves ON the tongue. I had strict instructions not to take it too early as it would send me into withdrawals and I’ve done it twice before with no issues so thought I was okay. I left it 25 hours after my last codeine dose and thought I scored a 26 on the COWS scale so on Saturday night started with 4mg as told by my dr. After an hour or so I felt no better so I took another 4, then another 4, and another. I 100% sent myself into withdrawals, without a doubt. I couldn’t even sit still for 1 second. I was hot and sweaty, couldn’t sleep, it was awful, but I eventually fell asleep around 3 and woke up at 8 Sunday morning. I felt better, I could sit still, but my pupils were beyond huge and I was sweating and gooseflesh all day. I took my full sub dose at the same time Sunday evening as told by my doctor and felt okay until I woke at about 2am with the worst cold sweats of my life. I didn’t sleep another wink till eventually gave up and got out of bed at 6am Monday morning. Needless to say I felt absolutely wretched. Hot and cold, pupils massive again, sweat drenching me. I was due to go to work, and I had to phone in sick. I went to the chemist and took my dose around 11:30. I felt slightly better after taking it, though still having the sweats and huge pupils. I went to bed at 8:30 exhausted and managed 2 hours when lo and behold I woke up at 11:30 sweating again. That was it for sleep, I writhed in bed until I gave up at 6 this morning, Tuesday. I have again had to call in sick. I am beyond confused. I am aware I clearly didn’t indict correctly but I absolutely cannot stop and try again, the service I see won’t allow it. So what is going on, or what will help me?! I have a full time job working in a hospital and calling in sick majorly screws everyone else over. Why am I getting withdrawals still, why am I feeling like this, it’s testing every bit of patience I have, I am tired of feeling like this, I just want some relief

First off, you are taking way too much sub! Even the most hard-core IV users only need around 4-6mg of sub/day! If I were you I would stop taking the sub for a day, you have plenty of sub built up in your system already! Starting tomorrow dose 2x/day 8-10 hours apart! Only dose 4mg/day total! For example, dose 2mg at 9am and dose 2mg at 6pm (9 hours apart) for a total of 4mg/day! Continue to dose like this for the next week, you should stabilize soon and feel quite well so hang in there and don't change up the dosing schedule! It's very important to take your doses at the same exact times everyday! It's also very important that you take accurate doses, come as close as you can when making the 2mg doses! Drink plenty of water throughout the day!

Please read the following thread -
    https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...apy-66109.html

Skip the induction part of the plan but follow the rest as outlined! Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!

PS
    Read this thread as well -
    https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...uth-75015.html
    WifeMotherSister likes this.

Hi, and thanks so much for answering, I appreciate it so much. Unfortunately I can’t dose twice a day as I have to take my dose in front of the pharmacist. After 5 days of hell I went back in to see the doctor and they decided that it just wasn’t working for me and switched me to methadone today. I was very very reluctant however, 2 hours after having my first 30mg dose I am feeling so so much better. I’m not sure why buprenorphine didn’t work for me this time, I’m disappointed but I am hoping I have found something that works now and will help me to go about my normal life.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki281093 View Post
    Hi, and thanks so much for answering, I appreciate it so much. Unfortunately I can’t dose twice a day as I have to take my dose in front of the pharmacist. After 5 days of hell I went back in to see the doctor and they decided that it just wasn’t working for me and switched me to methadone today. I was very very reluctant however, 2 hours after having my first 30mg dose I am feeling so so much better. I’m not sure why buprenorphine didn’t work for me this time, I’m disappointed but I am hoping I have found something that works now and will help me to go about my normal life.

I wish you could of stayed with the buprenorphine, methadone is one nasty drug, they don't call it "liquid handcuffs" for nothing! Tapering buprenorphine is so much easier than tapering methadone, in fact alot of methadone patients switch to bupe because of that reason!

Methadone is something that you definitely DO NOT want to be on long-term! Work out a taper plan with the doctor, a slow taper of 5% every 7-10 days until you are down to zero! You'll also want to get involved in NA/AA and/or drug addiction counseling, this will help with long-term recovery? Best of luck to you. Keep us updated on your progress? God bless us all!
    WifeMotherSister likes this.

I tried as hard as I could to stick with the Espranol but I couldn’t do it. Suboxone worked extremely well for me, but this new brand was horrendous. Neither low nor high doses were working for me and it was either try something else or lose my job, something I was not willing to do. I have heard stories from people who say the same as you and people who say the opposite. I think it’s different for everyone. Once I’m on a low enough dose I may well try to switch back to Espranol but I will see. Only time will tell. I think the way it’s meant to dissolve on your tongue is highly ineffective as it’s impossible not to swallow any, and the amount of drug that’s absorbed is very irregular. One day I felt it was holding me for 12 hours, the next only 2 hours. I physically couldn’t cope, I was getting to a very dark place mentally and I had to try something else. I wish very much that it had worked for me, but unfortunately some drugs just don’t work for some people. I am also aware that I’m on quite a low dose of methadone, so hopefully because of that it won’t be too hard to drop. I won’t be rushing myself. Studies have shown that the more time you give yourself to settle the higher your chances are at reducing well and staying clean. Thankyou so much for replying. Has anyone else at all on here had any experience with Espranol? Thanks.