Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By keepthechange11
50-60mg oxycodone daily, CT soon. Help and Support, please!
    keepthechange11 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb 50-60mg oxycodone daily, CT soon. Help and Support, please!

Hi all,

I've been on 50mg (some weeks it would be up to 60-70mg) oxycodone for chronic pain for the past 3 years. I've decided that I cannot live the life that I so badly want, need and deserve while I'm taking this medication. I know that I am not an addict, mentally or emotionally speaking, but that I AM physically dependent. I've been too nervous to go the CT route because of the demands of my life. I'm a single parent and business owner, so I've been nervous about carving out the time to take a week(ish) off. Well...I just so happen to have about 5 days completely open next week, so the time is now! I'm attempting to taper down as well as I can for the rest of this week, with Saturday 8/15 being D-Day. I plan to take my last pill EVER on the evening of the 15th. I plan on cancelling my monthly appointment that is set for the 19th and informing the doctor that I am no longer interested in prescriptions.
    I could really use some help, support and advice, moving forward.
    (FYI- I've looked into the Thomas method but am not interested in more prescriptions). I do have essential oils and high quality vitamins and supplements. I also have Tylenol PM, several holistic sleep aids and epsom salts for baths.
    If there is anyone willing to be my accountability friend, I would so greatly appreciate it! I'll probably be on here once or twice a day until my start date...at which point, I'll probably be on my laptop nonstop!!
    If anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would love to hear from you. Dos, Dont's, expectations, etc. THANK YOU!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Wow, I was in the exact same situation one year ago. I was on 60 mg oxycodone per day for chronic pain. Like you, I'm not an addict but was physically dependent and like you just did not like it. I fully agree with your desire not to get any more prescriptions. Although the Thomas recipe includes a benzo, for your mild habit you will do fine without it. The one OTC med that helped me the most was immodium. Something about that bathroom symptom just sent me over the edge but when the immodium kicked in I could handle all the rest of it.

What I did was taper down pretty quickly to about 20-30 mg per day and jumped from there. Like you I had set aside a week to "be sick" and honestly, I could not have done it without having done that. I would not have been able to work or take care of kids during withdrawal. I prepared by putting clean sheets on the bed, cleaning the bathroom, putting towels by the tub, buying ginger ale and bland snacks, and the OTC meds and supplements, and getting books and movies set up to entertain myself. You did great to get holistic sleep aids and epsom salts, I did too and they helped.

I would say Do: get the house clean and ready, like you'd want it to be if you had the flu. Tell people not to bother you, I just lied on the first day and told them I had the flu and stay away, although my husband was home and he was a help. If you have a close friend or significant other I DO recommend letting them caretake you, it was really nice to have him around. He cheered me by cracking jokes and stuff, and did minor chores.

DO: make yourself go outside and walk around even if you don't feel like it. Being on the forum is great support, it meant the world to me when I was going through it. Remember to drink lots of water.

DON'T fear it. The anticipation is worse than the reality.

Like you plan to, I took my last dose at night, so I could get in one last good night's sleep. The next day got worse as the day went on, and the following day a bit worse still. I think I bottomed out at something like 38 hours from my last pill, then maybe plateaued through day 2 and 3, and day 4 might have started to see light at the end of the tunnel. On the 5th day in the late afternoon it was like the sun came out, a big feeling of happiness and I knew it was over. At least the first part was over. The next part was several more days of weakness, just feeling like my muscles were jello, I could barely lift a finger. That might be tough for you if you have to go back to your responsibilities, but again, the more you make yourself be active the better off you will be. Then the last challenge is several weeks of lingering lethargy, kind of mild depression. That for me was the hardest part because I lacked motivation, but that was pretty much gone in about two months, so for me I'd say in two months I was back to normal.

So my last DON'T is don't get discouraged. After the 5 day detox you might be disappointed not to be all perky right away but just hang tight and stay with it, things will get better.

The other thing to deal with is how to manage the chronic pain that you were taking the pills for in the first place. Do put some thought into that. I have had to be more careful about overdoing it, pace myself, use alternative treatments like massage. Changing my diet had a huge impact on my chronic pain. Got rid of excess sugar and carbs. DO maintain a good relationship with your doctor. Hopefully he or she will be happy you don't need the painkillers anymore but I recommend not burning bridges with a doctor if he is a good one. My doctor was thrilled I did not need the pills anymore but I still see him regularly. I also consulted an alternative practitioner and took some of their ideas. But I don't mean to get you ahead of yourself. I think you will be very happy once you get past the big transition!
    niecer likes this.

Thisweek-
    THANK YOU for your very thoughtful response!! That is exactly the advice I was hoping I would get!! Funny you mention tapering- today is my first day taking 30mg and I was planning to take 30mg/day until Saturday, when I will just jump from there. That gives me the next 5 days to adjust from 60 to 30. I am assuming I will have some sort of mild WD in these next few days, with Sunday/Monday being my worst days. Probably even Tuesday :/
    I don't have any help with the kids, unfortunately. Instead, I'm trying to make plans for them at friends' houses, so they'll at least have somewhere to go for a few hours on these days. They're old enough to understand that mom is not going to be feeling well, so I told them tonight that my doctor would be trying a new medication that would probably make me sick for about a week. I just didnt want to feel terrible for lounging around the house all day in the last weeks of summer, so I figured if they understand it being that mom is sick, it would make it easier to handle.

I picked up some Calm today, which is recommended for RLS, due to the calcium and magnesium. Tomorrow I'll be picking up a couple more things, immodium included. How much were you taking per day? I ordered an herb offline that is supposedly a "magic" remedy for opiate WD symptoms. I'll keep you posted on how that goes! It binds to the same receptors, so taking it a few times a day during the first week is supposed to decrease the severity of symptoms.

I can tell that you're definitely a mom! I love your suggestions to get everything prepped with clean sheets, towels, etc. I was planning to make a few dinners this week and freeze them, so we can have something to eat every day. I'm hoping to get some help from a few church members during the rough days, since i will have the "flu" and all. Hopefully a few people will be willing to help!!

I will keep you posted daily. Again, I REALLY appreciate the response. Sometimes it only takes one person to give me tha extra push to REALLY do this!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Okay you can do this. What might trip you up is the feeling guilty about not being active with the kids. So stay strong with letting them entertain themselves while you have the "flu". They will be better off in the long run. (They might even enjoy the break from attentive mom, )

If you cut from 60 to 30 all at once your symptoms might be worse than mild, so be prepared. Don't feel bad if you have to updose to get things accomplished. Best if you don't go all the way back to 60 though. The cold turkey will be about the same regardless. It's just if you can stick with 30 you will be getting some of the misery over with early and if you can still function well enough, stay with 30, then it'll make the cold turkey jump a bit easier.

I only had to take a little immodium. Two pills after the first visit to the bathroom, then one more after the second about an hour later, and that did me most of the day. Your mileage may vary.

Preparing meals ahead of time is a great idea and a must if you will need to feed the kids. You yourself might have zero appetite, but try to eat something. Just a small bit will do wonders. Get a little protein in you every day.

Be careful about the herb that binds to the same receptors as oxy (mu opioid). I'm thinking of kratom, you want to avoid that, it is just as addictive as the pills. Black cohosh on the other hand is probably safe although I have not tried it myself so use caution. But I say use caution in general with all supplements. I always research each one I try, because they have side effects and risks just like pharmaceuticals but they also can be very helpful just like pharmaceuticals as long as you stick with trusted brands. Research each one before you take it and monitor yourself closely while taking them for any adverse effects.

It sounds like you got this, advance preparation and the right MIND SET are half the battle!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Yes, I jumped straight from 60 to 30! This is the start of my third day. Definitely having an issue with fatigue. It's out of control. I'm trying to be as productive as possible for the rest of the week but it's been pretty tough with as tired as I am. Weirdest thing is my entire body is swollen! Not sure how normal or not that is. I have about 5 extra pounds on me, all gained in the past week or two. Hoping the lack of appetite during the worst days will help that!
    Yes, it is kratom that I ordered. I found a blog that a drug counselor runs and he highly recommended it for just the few days of the worst symptoms. I figure if it helps for the 3-5 days, it would be worth the $50. Also, most people get on xanax and clonopin, both of which are insanely addictive, but do just fine for the week or so that it's needed. From the research that I've done on kratom, it sounds like the majority of people who have tried it for the peak of the worst symptoms have reported it helping with RLS, insomnia and anxiety. So I'll definitely proceed with caution ,planning to just throw out whatever is left after those few days!
    Time sure moves slow as mud when you're feeling exhausted. I do feel pretty guilty about the kids not having me to run their schedules for these next couple weeks. I'm hoping to schedule a few play dates or something. I just feel awful about having to sit on the couch for this long! I SO wish I had someone who could take them for a few days, or at least come over to be with them. UGH!

crazyfrog is offline Banned

Careful with kratom. It works but some people can't digest it and messes up your liver. I was one of them. Lol. Was in and out of the hospital for 2 months doing blood work. Severely joundiced. I'm ok now but it was hell. Whole body itch for 2 months. Anyways. .. i realize the pain for these pills was not worth wasting my life on it. I quit CT wroth no aid but loperamide for the first week and half. Then sailed the rough seas alone and miserable. The mental pain was incredible i must say. I was brought down with tears due to my emotional levels being out of whack. I felt anger and apathy daily. But. ... after the 1st month passed and being patient. ... i saw clarity and it got better and better. I'm over 100 days clean now. .. feel very normal. 100% of all symptoms are gone. Feel very happy every day. I have joy on the smallest things now, pills robbed that from me. And best ends result is that i can actually socialize normally work everyone without feeling odd on the pills. So it's worth stopping these pills really. Do yourself a favor, stop now before you end up back on day one clean like 10 years from now in a worse state of mind.

Hi crazyfrog,
    Thanks for the response! How much of the kratom were you taking and for how long? I haven't yet read that, about liver damage. Not for 3-5 days of light (5 grams) use, at least. I'm curious what your experience was, if you'd like to share. I can't wait to get to the point where you are at. I'm definitely done with prescription meds. I just have to get through this coming weekend without being sick (one of the kids has a sports commitment that I am in charge of). Sunday will be my Day 1 and I'm hoping by the end of the week, I'll be able to be on "light duty" around the house. I've spent the past several days severely cutting my dose. I cut it in half overnight (Frm 60 to 30) and will stay at 30 for the next few days until jumping off on Sunday!

Reduced from 30mg down to 20mg today. Will do this for 2 more days until I jump off. Definitely feeling the effects. Funny, I didn't feel it much cutting from 60mg down to 30mg but from 30mg down to 20mg?! Wow. I'm hoping the few days on 20mg before I jump off will help with the overall WD.
    Anybody out there to respond and support? Or am I on my own here?

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Keepin,

Sorry. Seems it's been a bit quiet here for a couple of weeks now. There is usually more traffic. Must be the end of the summer. Don't know. The taper will help you but the symptoms you are feeling now from your last drop are pretty typical. Once we get low enough the real stuff begins. One of my arguments for just jumping. The detox stuff is difficult enough without dragging them out. My guess is that if you were to jump this weekend, it would get a bit worse before it got better but in 4 or 5 days you'd be done. Kinda putting off the inevitable. But everyone is different and you know what you can and can't do. We have to make our own choices. Good for you for being able to reduce your dose by so much already. I never could do that.

I'll check on you and will hope you are near the end of this madness.

Peace,

Cat

Thanks for checking in, Cat! If I didn't have this sporting commitment this weekend, I would definitely have jumped off entirely by now. I just can't be nonfunctional for the weekend. So I'm down to 20mg for today and then again tomorrow, Sunday will be my Day1 and I will have the rest of that week totally off!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I'm glad you've got a plan. Stick to it. It's really easy to procrastinate for "Just one more day". You have all of next week to get this done so take advantage of it. Read and post and then read some more. It will pass some time when you won't know what to do with yourself or where to put yourself. As miserable as I was, I'd sit in front of my computer screen and hours would pass. I couldn't concentrate enough to read a book or even watch a television show without it annoying me early on but this Forum--much different. I'd get lost in other people's stories.

Peace,

Cat

Well I'm about 18ish hours in and doing great! I'm sure that is due to change by tonight. I took the last pill around 10pm last night and promptly flushed the rest, before I had a chance to reconsider. Trying to keep myself busy throughout the day, which seems to be helping. Ill post on the other thread that I started, as well. Or should I keep it all in one place?!
    jodyjoe likes this.

hereinbalto is offline Banned

How are you doing? I am new here and reading up on threads. I'd be interested to know how your detox went and how you're doing.