Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By asp44
  • 2 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 3 Post By Forceout
  • 3 Post By Forceout
  • 2 Post By Thomas543
  • 3 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Forceout
60 hours opiate free, not sure I can do this!
    Feelingalone82 is offline New Member

Default 60 hours opiate free, not sure I can do this!

A little back story..
    I had to surgeries in the summer of 2016. The first one was to remove an 8 pound tumor where my left ovary used to be and the second was to clean out an infection which resulted in having a wound vac for 2 months. I had already had damage to my right leg after a hip/pelvic fracture then we found out in the first surgery they cut a nerve that goes into my groin on the same side.
    I started on Percs, 10mg x6 a day, then pain management switched me to morphine ER, 30mg 3x a day, and hydro, 10mg up to 5x a day. Seemed to be doing well until the pain creeped up the last 2 months and I found myself taking more than I should which leaves me where I am today..
    5 days before a refill, no meds...
    I took my last dose of morphine over 4 days ago and hydro 60 hours ago. I am sick of the meds running my life and feeling like it’s the only way I can function. I want to be done but I am so scared. Honestly though I have no choice at the moment. I hate this feeling, I hate these withdrawals!!!! Please offer some advice, I feel like dying right now

asp44 is offline Member

Hello feeling alone 82, first off you will never be alone. Me and everyone else here will be here for you!! I have been where you are right now countless times. I am now tapering off my percocet.
    Unfortunately you are right in the thick of things right now. But if you can go 2-3 days longer your symptoms will start subsiding. The physical wds were always worse for me on days 3-5. On day 3 they would generallt peak and remain there for another 2-3 days. Byt they did improve. The one thing that really helped me was a hot bath or shower. And several of them. I know things suck right now but it is only temporary. Hang in there.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey feeling alone. It is true the meds numb us in more ways than justpain. I was an oxy user abuser and switched to suboxone and was on those for 5 long years. Right now I'm 2.5 months clean and I have to say things are so much better clean. I too was worried about how I would feel without my little sub friends. First couple of weeks I felt every little bump and bruise I had accumulated over the past 7 years. But slowly but surely it became more manageable and not as bad as I remember. Now when I take Aleve or Tylenol it actually works. Clean is way better than the alternative. But you have to want it more than anything else in the world. You can do this. The people here are amazing and will help you with anything. No judgements. Let us know what your plan is going forward.

Be sure to drink as much water and Gatorade as possible. Eat a protein rich healthy diet. Post as much as you need to. Get it all out. It helps. And again, welcome to the forum!!

Beef
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Forceout is offline Member

Hello feeling alone!

Welcome to this safe place. As stated above, you will never be alone as long as you come here!! We will all be here together as long as it takes.

I am 18 days off hydrocodone after 5 years every day. It gets better I promise. From the sound of things you are about how I was feeling at the same time. It's no picnic with the ups and downs but it passes before long and you will feel so much better!!! Hot Showers! Heating pad for aches and legs if needed. Lots and lots of water and Gatorade. Constantly be drinking one of those.

More than anything. Hang in there and keep posting updates so we will know how to help you!! We all care very much and know what it's like!!

The clouds will be replaced by sunshine just stay strong!!!

Forceout

I have you marked to check on so please keep posting.

A couple more things...try to get the smallest amount of exercise. Any kind of moving around will help a lot. Just walking around some. There are a lot of mental aspects to what you are going through. Try not to dwell on the bad stuff. Remember where you will be soon.....a drug free, hassle free life!!! You are reclaiming your real!!! Think positive. I know it's tough, real tough. But you can do it if we have!! The rewards for getting away from the meds are huge!!!!

Forceout

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey FeelingAlone, where you at? Hop on and give an update. If something happened we're here for you no matter what.

Randy

Anonymous Guest

Hi FeelingAlone. Stopping is doable. I went through the wound-vac, Fentanyl and oxycodone (in many forms), and an absolute sucky withdrawal experience despite tapering.

The thing about opiates was that while they helped the physical pain, my ability to take rational action was messed with as well. It was pretty ridiculous, and within months of taking drugs, I no longer cared much about anything except my next dose.

During the few attempts I tried to “stay clean” I often turned to weed and alcohol, in an attempt to “not use opiates”. While my behaviors may have been at worst comical (such as losing my car, calling the cops, and finding it not far away), they could have been tragic.

I’m about 90 days clean now. I have no idea if I will not take opiates again, only that I’m doing my best not to. Opiate pain meds are not something I can control my use of, is my take on it now. In the hospital, with medical supervision, I’m fine. On my own I suck.

The odd thing was, once I was clean for a few weeks, I found decent control of pain through OTC meds. Having been hospitalized multiple times, I’m pretty convinced that with medical care, I am ok with opiates. On my own though, I end up taking drugs way too rapidly, in a futile attempt to control pain I don’t know even exists.

That said, withdrawals are brutal. The pain sucks, but the sickness, sweats, insomnia and craziness add up to a wicked mix. The hardest part for me was going through drugs for a long time, over a year, then realizing I couldn’t live with or without them. I can only suggest addressing where you’re at, presumably without drugs, and finding a way to live that way. I found some help in NA, or at least others who had been down the same road. For months I was terrified I was alone, damaged goods and unable to live without opiates. NA helped me not feel alone, and that I could live and function opiate-free.

gmanscotland is offline New Member

well done you.IV found the gabapantine and pregababline can make me not feel opiate withdrawal so much.think it makes you so sleepy it gets days past quick.maybe not ideal but stops withdrawals feeling fast.have you tried even gabapantine. ? Helps far sure.good luck

Feelingalone82 is offline New Member

Well I am an idiot. I went to the doctor and got my refill. They filled it on the 30th which was a couple days early (3 days) and I didn’t say a word. Now as you would guess it, I am having withdrawals again because I used them all. My last dose was about 35 hours ago.
    Why do I do this to myself when I know they are running my life? I hate this and I hate the meds but I keep doing it.
    I feel like I want to be done because I hate myself on them but I kinda feel like I can’t live/function without them.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey FeelingAlone, don't beat yourself up relapse happens. Have you looked into getting face to face support Na AA thearpy counseling? You have to really want this for yourself. For this addict I knew I was done. You have to get honest tell your doctor what your going through if hes a good doctor he should Support your decision to get off the Garbage. We are all here to support you.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Thomas543 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingalone82 View Post
    Well I am an idiot. I went to the doctor and got my refill. They filled it on the 30th which was a couple days early (3 days) and I didn’t say a word. Now as you would guess it, I am having withdrawals again because I used them all. My last dose was about 35 hours ago.
    Why do I do this to myself when I know they are running my life? I hate this and I hate the meds but I keep doing it.
    I feel like I want to be done because I hate myself on them but I kinda feel like I can’t live/function without them.
    Hi, Feelingalone82

I don’t know where you are at this point...you posted last night....if you are here, lurking, as I did for over a YEAR...I pray that you are reading and building up the courage, as I did, to just DO IT. If you truly are tired of the meds running your life, as I was...and if you got into this mess because of a genuine medical issue...guilt is not the way to go...beating yourself up is not the way to go...focusing on what you want more than ANYTHING, to be FREE from the control...that’s the way to go. I was on hydrodone 10mg 4 times a day...but was up to 8-10+ a day for over two years. I literally was terrified that I had no way out. I tried cold turkey ONCE because I had to...and it was pure hell on earth. I couldn’t do it...and I stopped lurking for about a year. I just gave in and kept myself stocked up. But, it was digging at me...I knew I was living a farce. And as an elementary school teacher, I couldn’t abide that. I wanted out SO BADLY, that I was even willing to go to a rehab, if it took that. I just didn’t know how I could do it.

I then read on here about the taper method...with the Thomas Recipe...and I set a date...told my closest relatives...and went from 8-10+ per day...INSTANTLY down to 3 pills per day (halves only). I had 9 days off work to help. And I stuck out the worst days...4-5 days of restless legs, spotty sleep, general malaise, tired, weak, grumpy, cranky, everything hurt (especially my HEAD)...but it all STOPPED around day 4-5. I didn’t expect that! I am now down to 2 per day (again, halves only)...and am stepping down to 1 per day this week (half in morning, half at night). Once we are out for Christmas break, I am JUMPING OFF. And I can do it because I want to END THIS far more than I want to keep living like this.

If I can go from 8-10 per day down to 3 with halves only...which was hard, but not THAT hard, because it kept the acute WDs at bay...ANYONE can do it.

Staying logged on here and reading, reading, reading...building up inspiration and courage...that’s what did it for me. This place, I feel, saved my life. I thought I was relegated to doing this forever. I feel like I had to WANT THIS...more than I wanted THAT.

Making myself accountable to others was KEY for me. I needed someone to check on me, ask me how I was doing, encouraging me, telling me I could do it...which they do daily for me even now. Because I’m not all the way there yet. But, I am *this* close. And where I am today...I could not imagine just a few months ago. I got angry at the meds...that’s what happened right before I decided. I drove 40 miles that last day...to get 10 pills from a friend...that did it. “What are you DOING??” I asked myself. I drove home, called my son on the way home...told him everything...this was two weeks before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving week...I jumped from the large amount down to 3 per day instantly. I am SO HAPPY that I did that, because it showed me that I could.

You are NOT alone. I hope you post again soon. Tell us some good news. You are NOT alone.

Bright Blessings
    Thomas
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-18-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingalone82 View Post

You need to remove every possible way of obtaining drugs from your life. That means cutting off all friends and dealers that may supply drugs to you. Delete numbers and tell everyone you're no longer interested in buying/taking addictive opiates. Then you must inform your doctor you have a problem and to mark "no more narcotics" in your file. He/she will really respect you for doing that and be more than willing to help you through this.

If you're serious about quitting, and want it more than anything else in the world you'll do what's necessary to stop. And like Lvg mentioned, find some NA or AA meetings in your area and go to as many as you possibly can. Getting clean iso nly half the battle. Remaining clean takes an enormous amount of work too. Those meetings can help you accomplish that.

Randy

Hey Feeling Alone,

I think that really sums it up for the way I felt before I found this place.....alone. Well, you are not alone now! I'm thinking about you. How are you doing? Give us a check in if you can.

Forceout
    Thomas543 likes this.