Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Koat88
  • 2 Post By Rockbottombounce
  • 1 Post By Koat88
  • 1 Post By Koat88
  • 1 Post By Catrina
7 days cold turkey from 4 years of methadone and no withdrawals?
    Koat88 is offline New Member

Cool 7 days cold turkey from 4 years of methadone and no withdrawals?

New to these forums and this is my first post. I've been in methadone maintenance for 4 years because of a major Opana (Oxymorphone) addiction. Other than methadone, I have been opiate free for nearly 2 years, no usage, nor cravings. I tapered down from 70 mgs over these 4 years and was stable at 38 mgs for nearly a year. I made the decision to quit cold turkey for financial reasons because I was paying $420 a month to be a patient, which is quite a burden on my wallet, especially with a 4 year old and a home. My last dose was Saturday morning, and tomorrow will be one week since my last dose. I was anticipating some major withdrawal and uncomfort, but other than trouble falling asleep and only sleeping 3-4 hours a night, low energy, and very mild RLS, I don't seem to be having any major symptoms, which I am grateful for no doubt. I am only taking a multivitamin and .2mgs of Clonidine at night to help me sleep. I have read a few forums where people claim that being on MMT for long periods (more than a year) can cause an extra long delay of withdrawals due to the drug being built up in your body and you can start getting bad withdrawals by as late as day 10. If this is as worse as I am going to feel and it will get better from here then I am very relieved, however I am concerned about what I have read about delayed withdrawal. Does anyone have any experience with methadone withdrawal or can tell me if I am in the clear yet or still have a rough time ahead. Thanks in advance and hope to hear back from you guys!

-Koat

Anyone????

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Koat, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making the jump 7 days off Methadone good job. As far as waiting for the withdrawals everyone's body is different everyone's journey is different, eat healthy,drink plenty of fluids helps the body rid of all toxins. If your experience thus far have been mild symptoms thank God just roll with it, are you in the clear well you have today clean off that garbage be Proud of Yourself. What helped me in early recovery with this journey is face to face support, Na/Aa,counseling, thearpy. Keep reading and posting let us know how you are doing...be well.. Stay Strong for Today..

Thanks for the response. As of this morning, I feel better actually, more appetite (2 bowls of raisin bran a few minutes ago), and I was able to sleep 5 uninterrupted hours last night. As far as NA goes, I know it works wonders for a lot of people, but I have never been to a meeting myself. If I start having urges again I will consider going though. Im fairly certain that if withdrawal any worse was going to hit, it would have shown itself by now, knock on wood. I know everyone's different and withdrawal experiences are subjective and hard to gauge. In one hour I will be 7 days methadone free. If its any help, I am 6'0 and 260lbs, I have some pretty good fat stores lol, so maybe the methadone is taking longer to exit my body and it is yet to get worse, I hope not, because I have used 10 vacation days and go back to work monday.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Awesome, keep busy stay moving.... stay hydrated... keep me posted... Stay Strong for Today..

Day 8 and Im feeling fine, slightly low motivation, the only physical symptoms left are the RLS at night, and more sensitive to slight aches and pain (upper back, knees,etc.) Feeling really good about the future though. For anyone thats interested Im 29, and from what I've heard about withdrawal is that it supposedly is more intense and lingering the older you are, but I seem to be having an easier time with this than I had when I was 22-23 withdrawing from Opana.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-01-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: punc and spel errors

Yesss... Clean future I can tell you it's the best thing I have done in life. Be grateful you are so young it took over 30+ year's of abusing Opiates .. It's amazing Everything was dulled on that Garbage. As you rack up clean time all those symptoms will pass. Your doing amazing keep going strong my friend... Stay Strong for Today...

Hello Koat, Just checking in on you to see how your doing? Keep us updated.. Stay Strong for Today..

Rockbottombounce is offline Junior Member

Hey man idk much about methadone withdrawal but I just wanted to say congratulations on staying so strong.im proud of you keep pushing forward!!

Day 13, still good, still clean. Cant sleep for more than 2 hours at a time still, but other than that i'm still doing great.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Gotta keep myself honest, forgot to mention that I took 1/4 of an 8mg suboxone last night, bought one from my cousin for $20 (last I remember them being was $10 back in 2012). I was at my wits end and had only slept maybe 4-5 hours over the last 3 days, so I took 2mg of a sub at around 9pm, by 11pm I was sleeping like a baby, didn't wake up until 530am, first time sleeping longer than 2 hours all week. I don't intend on taking anymore sub, the only reason I took it in the first place was because I had an interview for a new job paying almost double what I make now and I was going to have my son for 3 days and couldn't cope with running on no sleep and having no energy. Technically this is a relapse, however the purpose of me taking this wasn't an attempt to get high, I felt literally no euphoria or energy rush from it, it basically just settled me down enough to get to sleep.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koat88 View Post
    Gotta keep myself honest, forgot to mention that I took 1/4 of an 8mg suboxone last night, bought one from my cousin for $20 (last I remember them being was $10 back in 2012). I was at my wits end and had only slept maybe 4-5 hours over the last 3 days, so I took 2mg of a sub at around 9pm, by 11pm I was sleeping like a baby, didn't wake up until 530am, first time sleeping longer than 2 hours all week. I don't intend on taking anymore sub, the only reason I took it in the first place was because I had an interview for a new job paying almost double what I make now and I was going to have my son for 3 days and couldn't cope with running on no sleep and having no energy. Technically this is a relapse, however the purpose of me taking this wasn't an attempt to get high, I felt literally no euphoria or energy rush from it, it basically just settled me down enough to get to sleep.
    Being honest is always the best thing to do. Always! Well it is what it is. Please get rid of the rest of that strip. Even though you took it to get through a few tough days ahead of you, this won't end until you end it. Not criticizing, please believe me because I would never do that. I know how hard this is but I also know that giving in even just once sets us back and in the end it's just not worth it. Brush yourself off and move on. Not the end of the world but.....we have to walk right on through this or we'll never get to the end. Ya know?

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

thesimplethings123 is offline New Member

that's awesome that you did that well with methadone withdrawal. I went cold turkey in West Virginia 5 hours away from where I bought my meds and it was a month before I could stand up at the stove and cook dinner for my kids

dj1purity is offline New Member

I am impressed that you have had no withdrawals physically from this medicine at such a late mark. I have had mixed experiences with coming off methadone, including one where I wanted to switch to Suboxone, which requires one to stop methadone and after 72 hrs, or 3 days, and only after withdrawals happen, which at this mark, 72 hrs, they are expected to begin, the patient is allowed to take the first dose.

I was with my ex-husband at the time, I guess married at the time, and we both had extremely different reactions. At just before 72 hrs, I had no withdrawals but was anxious to start the Suboxone. I think I faked in my head having a stuffy nose and chills or something, but really felt nothing. We had been on methadone for about 6 months and had stopped cold turkey at me, 25 mg, and him, 40 mg.

I guess it was addict behavior, but we took the Suboxone by then, early. I had no side effects of precipitated withdrawal, or any withdrawal. My ex, however, started the next morning okay but by noon was puking and having bad diarrhea and sweats and let cramps, etc.

It was weird, we both stopped on the same day and yes it is recommended to be at 20mg before stopping methadone, and he was at double. The dose, but to me, 15 mg wasn't that huge a difference, but if that was why we reacted so violently differently, I apologize for responding.

But basically I wanted to say I also felt no withdrawals as expected in the window, and yes, we did relapse to >>>>>> basically bc he was so sick it made me feel bad for him, and I couldn't believe I was not sick after 3 days, and taking something with naloxone in it.

Maybe 3 days is average to have withdrawals but 7 days, well had we waited until then, I really felt okay to believe I also would be similar to you and feel not much, but my ex, probably would be totally different.

I know some things are not perfect in our experiences but i wanted to just share how much different two people can be. I mean my ex was puking and in the bathroom all day with his butt or face buried in it, sweat pouring off him like hurricane rain water, and he was so cramped up in his stomach and legs he couldn't stand up. I at the same point felt nothing, and I tried to sympathize and force myself to feel something, anything.

I am currently back on methadone and tapering down again, ugh. I wonder if I did the same but with no Suboxone I could last like you once I jump off into just nothing?

How about psychologically? Did you feel anxiety or cravings or mentally have any rebound depression in addition to your mini insomnia? Physical symptoms and psychological symptoms can appear at different times. Okay what about PAW? Post acute withdrawal? Anything?