Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By freeme47
9 months clean...need a biopsy done..worried about pain and relapsing...
    mommyoftwo_5303 is offline New Member

Default 9 months clean...need a biopsy done..worried about pain and relapsing...

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted but since the last time I posted, I relapsed a few times (I was taking 15-20 pills of Hydrocodone a day) but finally stayed clean March 2016 of this year. It's been just over 9 months and I finally feel like ME again. I don't have the "urge" to get more pills. I want to stay clean. I'm such a better mom to my kids, better wife to my husband and just an over all better person. Here is my dilemma...

I have had Lupus for about 15 years now. I have flare ups here and there causing all different kinds of pain which is the reason why I was even prescribed Hydrocodone to begin with. In the last month, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Kidney Disease. It looks like my Lupus is attacking the kidneys. Now, I'm not in any pain at all so I'm not worried about relapsing now...what I'm worried about is that my doctor is ordering a kidney biopsy to be done next month. I am worried that I will be in so much pain afterward that I'll need pain pills. I've been googling how painful a kidney biopsy is online and nothing has been helpful...comments from patients saying "it's not that painful...nothing pain pills won't fix" definitely don't help. Apparently, doctors will prescribe you pain meds after a biopsy to help relieve the pain.

Don't get me wrong...I think if I had a bottle of pills in front of me, I could man up and decide not to take it. I mean heck, in the last few months, I have found left over pills here and there and have thrown them away. I had NO desire to even think about taking it. BUT...it's quite easy to avoid them since I'm not in any pain. I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance...has anyone else had a biopsy? How much pain were you in after? Was it tolerable? Bad enough to NEED pain meds? I don't want to get back on them at all...I have a feeling that if I honestly take even just half a pill for pain that my body will "remember" that feeling and want more so I don't even want to tempt myself.

I guess I'm just worried...any guidance would help. Thanks in advance!

freeme47 is offline Junior Member

Hiya, I've had the odd fearful moment where I wondered what the heck I would do if I ever get pain, well I did last week I had an abscess on my tooth and I can't tolerate tooth pain but I just stuck to normal paracetamol and ibruprofen and knew if I took one opiate yes my brain would remember and I never want to go back to that. Maybe talk to your doctor about alternative pain medication which doesn't include an opiate, tell them beforehand about your addiction and say you can't take them under any circumstances. Once you've put it out there you are taking the choice away and not putting yourself through temptation. I read a brilliant book called 'from wreckage to redemption' about a woman who became ill with pancreatitis and was in horrendous pain, became addicted to pain meds and it's about her struggle to overcome the addiction and how she manages pain now as she still suffers.

I pray that the biopsy goes well and that your pain isn't as bad as you expect. Let us know how you get on. T
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.