Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By papermache_butt
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Addicted on 3-5 Norco a day, yes it happens
    papermache_butt is offline New Member

Unhappy Addicted on 3-5 Norco a day, yes it happens

Hi all. Been reading this forum for help and first off, I want to say how inspirational you all are in the face of unthinkable obstacles. My thoughts are with all of you.

Now on to me. I am blessed to have this complaint- I have found little resources for folks in my situation. I have been taking a small amount of Norco for a relatively short amount of time, just under a year. If anyone is in the same boat, at the very least know you're not alone. This drug is no joke. Don't think you're OK just because there are a lot of folks who take much more than you. And don't think you're alone because it could be worse and you shouldn't complain.

If you find yourself reading this because a search about Norco brought you here, please have a VERY serious talk with your doctor. I thought "How could I be an addict? I'm seeing my doctor at least once a month. It's only a few pills!" Well right now I want to pull the bones out of my legs and find a way to shove a space heater under my skin.

Here's my long winded story. At the very least thank you to the community for somewhere to write it all out.

Part 1: Falling hard on my butt

I think I found the least ethical pain treatment practice in the state. I took a decent fall and had huge back pain issues afterwards. All my years of running and martial arts made my spine look like a "motocross rider" is what I was told. Dr set me up with spine shots and PT. aaaaaaaand Norco. I'd go in for a shot, they'd give me an appt for two weeks out. Every four weeks they'd renew the Norco script. Recently I moved over an hour away and ran out of options for drivers (got sedation for the shots,) and the Norco supply started dwindling.

First I was furious because I quickly realized I did NOT need all those shots. Went to a new doctor in my area and asked if I could stop getting them. He was all "... what? No. You don't any of that. Come to me when the pain dictates" Then we agreed it was time to bid adieu to the Norco. Gave me Celebrex, whoop whoop on my way.

Not so fast papermache. I could tell I needed a Norco after about six hours. If I let it go to 8 hours, well I don't have to tell you how I felt. Well poop, didn't see that coming. That was barely any Norco, I took it as directed. The doctors just gave it to me! Had a talk with my shrink and he wanted to put me on suboxone. After about five minutes reading up on that, there was just no way that could be appropriate for me. We decided on clonidine.

Part 2: Clonidine odyssey

So now I'm thinking sweet, overall decent reviews on this stuff. Some folks couldn't tolerate it but my bp runs a bit high so no biggie. OH NO. Huge biggie. My bp is like 93/65 right now. Talked to the shrink, we cut down one of the other BP meds I was on. Not much help. I had to get up and walk out of yoga before I was carried out (first world problems.) I want to sleep all day, BUT on the good side I'm down to one norco a day, broken in half. Thought I could boot the day 1/2 pill but that wasn't happening, at least not today. I'm grateful to be at one pill. Remember that Norco newbies- I am having a hard time quitting just ONE pill a day. That's how sneaky this drug is.

I already have a script for xanax due to my mental issues which I have never been so happy to have. Remember a couple of sentences up about how I'm so weak I basically have to log roll around the house to avoid walking? Now put a benzo right on top of that. The combination has gotten me really far in a short amount of time- but if I didn't work from home I would probably have to take some sort of leave. I have no idea how you folks still go to work while in withdrawal. You are superheros. You are amazing.

In conclusion

So there you have it. My story that I wanted to tell for me, and to help anyone who doesn't think they are an addict because it's just a few pills a day.
    Catrina and DravenDomnq like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Thank you for posting your story. It's important. I hope you stick around and post often. You'll get support and advice and at least for me, it was therapeutic to just journal away right here.

You're doing great, by the way. Different strokes for different folks--I could never get clean any way except cold turkey and only needed a couple days off of work. Tapering like you're doing? Hah! I'd last a minute and a half. You, Dear are my hero.

Peace,

Cat
    papermache_butt likes this.

Thanks, Cat! The clonidine really helps a lot. I wanted to go cold turkey until the first night I woke up thinking my bones were turning into shattering ice.

Looking at my supply and the likelihood of getting anymore any time soon, I took one and set a timer for 20 minutes. Told myself if I'm still feeling sh%tty in 20 minutes, I can have another. I distracted myself by reading sites that I knew would get me angry- which is a great distraction for me. Pretty easy during this election season! All of a sudden my timer goes off. I had forgotten about the pills.

Now I have the clonidine. I decided to try 1/2. Honestly that scared the poop out of me. I can't even tell you why. Who knows. Set the timer, logged into a politically charged site and 20 minutes later, I'm ok.

I'm having a hard time doing things like eating and walking the dog, but I'm dying over here or anything.

I wanted to share my journey because while I was on a comparatively small amount for a short time- this really sucks! Just took my clonidine. I'm already dreading going to sleep because I know the witching hour is coming (usually around 3-4.) I don't want to feel bad, but I want to just plow through it. TALKING ABOUT HALF A DANG PILL HERE. Hoping folks who fell into the trap of a script happy doctor may find this useful.

Dusty_1984 is offline Junior Member

Hi,

I look forward to read about your journey. You've definitely got more willpower then me. I tried tapering a supply of 120 5/325 Oxycodone. It went very poorly and needless to say I took them in about 15 days and I thought I was doing well. Turns out I can't be trusted with doing it myself and I'm going cold turkey.

I wish you well and will be here cheering you on.

Good Morning Papermache,

Hope you're going to continue to check in and post your progress. I just re-read your first post (a really good one by the way). How long have you been tapering? Are you taking 1 pill a day? Less? What is the strength of that pill? 5 or 10mg?

Your technique of setting the timer is much the same as the way I dealt with cold turkey except I didn't set a timer. I'd just look at the clock and set a goal of 15 minutes, then 1/2 hr, etc. I'd try to get busy too. Physical activity was a challenge and I certainly didn't do much of it but I tried. I'd immerse myself in reading complete threads here. It was an education and passed lots of time. Oftentimes my goal would go forgotten. The physical discomfort is real but by occupying my mind it illustrated how huge the mental aspect of this really is. I used massive amounts when I finally quit cold turkey (for the 1,000th time!). Restless legs for the first 4 or 5 days were by far my most troubling symptom. I used heating pads for the constant ache in my legs and back. Immodium handled the bathroom trips well enough. The persistent physical symptoms were trouble sleeping and lack of energy. I won't lie. The first weeks had me in a constant mental battle with myself. One part of me fighting to stay clean while the other arguing that I could just take a couple of pills and have a time out. Reason and experience told me that would be a very bad idea but that loud voice kept urging me to do it and it would be OK and worth it to just have what had become a normal day for me while using.

The reason I am going into this even though you are tapering and doing a fantastic job, is that most especially because you are able to work from home, I would encourage you to just jump. Just be done. I am interested in knowing how long you have been down to one pill (5 or 10 mg?) per day or less. If it's been for several days, I honestly don't think you';l feel much worse than you do right now and those physical symptoms should be gone in just a few days. These pills are insidious. Even the small amount you are taking will prevent you from really beginning to heal. That will happen within only a few days of your last dose.

This, of course is your journey and you alone know what you can and can not handle. Jumping is scary stuff but when we're ready to be done there comes a day that it becomes time to just stop and ride out the storm. I don't doubt that you are feeling this physically but try to separate the mental part of this journey from the physical.

Hope you check in today and let us know how you're doing.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat, thank you for sharing! Pills were 10mg

So for those who aren't women- give a calendar any woman you know** and have her pick out the day she KNOWS she'll have period. She won't hesitate. Wedding, important work meeting, big day with the kids... whatever is the next important day, that's when the period is coming. That was me last night.I planned to throw out all my pills and OF COURSE cramps start. Why wouldn't they??

(** use your best judgment!)

SO, to answer your question. I was milling around on the one pill for a few days. I bottomed out this morning with the clonidine. I was so weak I had to quite literally crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees so I wouldn't pass out. When I made it, I went through with my FCK THIS plan and tossed the rest of my meds out.

It's been 20 hours and I feel ok. My blood pressure is back up near normal. My heart is pounding out of my chest but that could be the bp issues. It's always like at 3 or 4am when it gets bad. Why is that? How does your body/your brain/the universe know it's the worst time of day? Stupid drugs.

Again, thank you all for reading this. I know my journey is almost laughable compared to many, although I know none of you would ever laugh. I felt super alone and lost in the middle of having a problem but not feeling like I should have a problem because of how little meds I was taking.

Well that's good news that you tossed your meds! The Norco too? Yes?

Don't make light of the amount you were taking. At 30mg/day, that's enough to have become a problem and feel the withdrawal. The good news is that you did manage to taper to 10mg/day and was there for a few days. I don't expect that it will take you long to be past the worst of the physical symptoms. Be aware that by continuing to tell yourself that this shouldn't be such a problem, can become an issue for you mentally down the road. It's one thing if you're like me and took massive doses for so many years, clearly it's a problem. I knew that if I wanted my problem to be gone permanently, it means I can never take another pain pill without walking down this road all over again. Then there's folks like you. You only took what the doctor told you to take and you recognized fairly early on (compared to some of us) that this just isn't right. Without vigilance, the gravity of where you are at diminishes. Keep in mind that addiction, whether physically dependent or fully addicted is progressive. It just is. Our tolerance escalates and our current dose is less effective and we need higher doses just to not get sick,let alone get relief. This statement is true 100% of the time for anyone who takes opiates for any length of time. There are those who are considered physically dependent but they too will experience a greater tolerance and the same withdrawal symptoms.

Don't throw one more day away struggling with this. It won't get better and will get worse. All the credit in the world to you for doing your best to get on top of this now. I would expect that your symptoms will peak sometime today. It was usually around the 36 hr mark that this happened for me. You likely will have two or three days of it before you turn the corner and begin to feel better. You can do this. Taking control is powerful stuff so use it to motivate you. Use Aleve or Motrin for any aches. They do help and the more clean time you stack up, the more they will help. Be sure to eat healthy--lots of protein--and drink constantly. I know that it will be hard, but try not to languish in bed. Get up and move around for 10 minutes once an hour and longer if you can. Eating, drinking and exercise will speed your recovery.

I'll watch for you and hope you check in today.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat, thanks again. I look forward to your posts!

Not having too awesome of a day. My energy is coming back, but having your bp go from 93/54 to 135/75 in well under 24 hours is pretty rough. Then pile on top of that cold turkey for about 48 hours well sh*t, I'm shakey, shivery and exhausted. I'm blessed that I don't feel I have a mental/emotional addiction to the norco. I'm not mourning its loss. I have had a MUCH harder time avoiding nachos and beer for dinner. When I decided to not even really drink socially as much, I mourned that beer. God I missed it so much down to the feeling of the cold bottle in my hand! I am not joking when I say I have a hard time giving up the CRUNCH of delicious fried foods- especially my friend nachos which is probably why I have mentioned them twice in three sentences. I do not think of a pill routine, I just think about how >>>>>> I feel right now.

More about me: I have always been into fairly vigorous sports as I mentioned early on. That's what brought me here at 47. Years of long distance running and martial arts along side a not great diet should be a cautionary tale for anyone in their 20s. Running 5-10 miles many days/week and the crazy abuse of martial arts has finally came to collect its debt. Especially martial arts. It's murder on your joints. I have limped out of class and cried in my car many times. What was I thinking?? So now after many years of saying "no way. absolutely not. That sounds like the most boring, least fun thing on the planet" I started a daily yoga practice six months ago.

Fast forward to today. I have not been able to do my practice since Friday and Friday was rough. Yoga is my mental and emotional work out, too so I'm in dire straights over here. Inversions always help swat away anxiety and panic (disorders I work though daily) and well if walking around is sorta hard, being upside down is a nightmare.

don't languish in bed
    oh but I am. As mentioned I am blessed with working from home so I'm having a WFB (work from bed) day as I have most of last week. My productivity is in the sh*tter but I'm trying my best to at least answer the easy emails.

I'm having faith that you're right and that I'm going through the worst. and thank you for sharing your journey in this thread as well. Very helpful and much appreciated!

Side note: I just realized I have been wearing my sweatpants backwards since last night. Haha, yes I'm still in what I slept in AND too out of it to realize I'm sporting around with backwards pants. Awesome

Deenie W is offline New Member

Hang in there! You can do this!! Even the nachos, ha. Hey how do you start a thread? New here, clueless...

Hartty36 is offline Junior Member

Hang in there sounds cliché but it truly is the only advice one can give at the stages you are in. I m a little over a month clean and will not forget any of the stages that got me to this point but I can say that it is totally worth it and a lot of the bad feelings that I didn't even know the drugs were causing are now being recognized and going away. There really is nothing quite like the first feeling of natural joy and energy.

The mind is an amazing tool and can be reprogrammed. Please stick with it because as others have stated on here the only options are let the drugs kill you or get rid of them. Sounds harsh but really helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deenie W View Post
    Hang in there! You can do this!! Even the nachos, ha. Hey how do you start a thread? New here, clueless...
    hi there, go to the main board (Prescription Drug Addiction) and scroll to the bottom. There's a blue +Post New Thread at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartty36
    Hang in there sounds cliché but it truly is the only advice one can give at the stages you are in.
    Any advice is good advice, and cliches are around for a reason. Thank you for the support!

Hi all, been a few days since I ditched all the meds. I thought I was going to be doing just great already- not sure why I had that notion.

The aches and chills are way less in frequency and severity so that's manageable. The mental stuff is the worst. I'm tired, I can't concentrate and I'm really irritable. Doing this during the worst election of my lifetime and watching the country I love go down the sh*tter is only making it a million times worse.

Doing the best I can to get work done, or at least enough to keep the wolves at bay. Not eating much, not peeing out my butt really (gross, I know.) In a very yucky place the past few days, but in a place without a drop of Norco in my system. I still take a [i]very[/] occasional clonidine, I think two over the past 2-3 days when sleep just wasn't going to be a thing.

Hey all, checking in with an update. It's been a week and two days since I took my last norco. I'm having many more good moments than bad. MANY more. I still get woken up with RLS about every other day. The bone chilling cracking feeling is down to about once a day. I can do my full yoga class since I stopped taking the clonidine and just suffered through the initial symptoms.

I feel extremely lucky I do not feel any drug seeking behavior. The thought of putting another one of those things in my body makes me want to puke.

Right now I am trying to stop being angry. I'm angry at my pain doctor for just giving these to me. I'm angry at him for bringing me in once or twice a month for rounds of shots (which cost A LOT of money even with insurance.) I haven't had a shot in about two months and I feel as good as I did before I took my fall. I'm still pushing 50 so I'm not doing gymnastics, but I can pull off some pretty impressive yoga contortions.

Thanks all, hope I've helped someone. At the very least I'm grateful i have the platform to write all this out.

Hi all. Feeling a bit better everyday. I feel TONS better from when I started this thread. A friend of mine said that she thought I acted very depressed over the past several months and was a bit worried about me. I don't do depressed. I do manic and OCD. I'm starting to get back to being anxious which sounds weird, but that's me being me!

Hi all, my physical healing is going well however I feel it's stalled a bit. I'm wondering if it's just hard getting used to less depressants/more energy. I often feel jittery like I've had WAY too much coffee. I've had to stop drinking any caffeine which is huge since for many years (way before norco) I've had no less than 3-4 Diet Cokes a day. Been waking up due to RLS a few times a week, but it's not too terrible. More in the annoying territory.

On top of that, a couple of weeks ago a sleep specialist prescribed a CPAP machine due to apnea. Again, something that's been an issue long before norco. I'm sleeping better than I ever have which brings me to this:

I am actually sort of uncomfortable being alert all the time! Saturday/Sunday naps- body is having none of it. Again, even before norco those were my favorite part of the week. I get antsy doing a lot of the low key things that I usually spent a lot of time on: watching TV, jewelry making, drawing/coloring, etc. I do not crave more pills or drinking- I crave something to settle my brain and body. I do yoga. I do a lot of yoga. 60-90 minute classes every day, plus another 20-30 minutes practicing at home. It's vigorous and calms my mind and emotions. I can't do yoga for 12 hours a day, though. I can't go back to the really high energy things I did over the years to cause my injuries in the first place: running and martial arts.

Anyhoo thanks for reading. Checking in and reading others' stories is pretty cathartic. Peace, happiness and wellness everyone