Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
Addicted to pain pills
    NeedHelpInNY is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anj14 View Post
    I have been taking around 60 mgs or so. Not good but at least it's not like the 120 or higher like I was doing before. Still making myself work out whenever I can. It's very helpful for me. I went to the doctor this week and got a prescription for Ativan due to my anxiety. I haven't had to take it yet but even just having them makes me feel better because of the panic attack type feelings I was having. Are you experiencing any withdrawal type symptoms at the levels you are at now, Lookin? This is all a process and I do feel like I am heading in the right direction this time instead of into a worse place. Hoping we will both be able to kick this.
    Hi Anj,

I'm actually at the same point you are with tapering down (down to 60-82.5mg). I'd be able to stay at 60mg if I could sleep. I have a question about the Ativan, because I know I need something like that and am going to a doctor today. Is Ativan better than Valium/Xanax/Klonopin for this purpose? I've seen a lot of people say they got Ativan, some said Valium.

And I thought maybe sharing a part of my story with you would inspire you to cut your intake -- a week ago I was taking over 300mg a day, mostly blowing them. Now I am "comfortably" under 100mg except for the sleeping issue. The beginning of my taper (cutting 200+mg a day and quitting snorting) was hellacious. I've never felt that way before. It was 2.5 days of cringing on a couch just to get by. But my body adjusted to the amount I was trying to take, and I was able to cut 20+ mg a day until I'm at 60mg.

My issue is at 5am I get way to restless, and then again at 8am I get fed up. If Ativan may help me relax and sleep, it would be huge. I also know it would just make me feel better knowing I have a "replacement" drug of sorts to move to while waiting out any WD.

Best of luck with everything, don't be down on yourself. You've made the decision that you want to quit and that means you have your mind right about it! Your body will get there. The human body's ability to adjust and heal is remarkable. Please let me know how the Ativan works for you.

- NY

Anj14 is offline Member

Lookin I will definitely try my best to be your taper buddy!
    Bad timing thank you so much for your post. It really means a lot and I can definitely relate to most of what you are saying. I don't have much time right now to fully respond but I just wanted to let you know that I read it and will respond more later.

Anj14 is offline Member

I don't know where my post went but for Needhelp, my doctor told me that Ativan works better than xanex in that it lasts longer than xanex. I can't tell you how it works for me yet because since I am still taking the pills I haven't had much anxiety. Once I am weaning off or not taking them then I know my anxiety will be back full force so I am prepared this time with the Ativan and I can let you know how it works then.
    NeedHelpInNY likes this.

I don't know where my post went but for Needhelp, my doctor told me that Ativan works better than xanex in that it lasts longer than xanex. I can't tell you how it works for me yet because since I am still taking the pills I haven't had much anxiety. Once I am weaning off or not taking them then I know my anxiety will be back full force so I am prepared this time with the Ativan and I can let you know how it works then.
    Interesting. My doctor told me today that Xanax had the least side effects but lasted long and could = feeling groggy the next day and Valium is shortest acting and may be best if I need to work the morning after. Didn't say anything about Ativan, but I believe it since many seem to get prescribed that.

I think you'll find that taking just a little bit less, or putting just a little bit more time in between the pills actually won't add discomfort. It's the mental part that I think is >>>> for both of us, so if you're occupied you'll be fine. I've utilized a hot bath + music each day to try to add an hour (when I get to 3-4 hours and get that tingly feeling and feel uncomfortable I get in the bath and play soft soothing music for an hour. Many people have recommended this in their war stories and I've found it is the absolute best. The brain will adjust quickly as you cut intake little by little since the halflife is 6 hours via oral ingestion.

I plan to get 1 of Ativan/Xanax/Valium tomorrow, taking no more than 45 mg before bed and then taking it. My hope is I will wake Saturday well rested and the 7.5 mg piece I take with dinner on Friday will be out of my system when I wake since I won't have taken any oxy for sleep. If I can then get through Saturday and Sunday with zero oxy, Monday will be Day 3 which is from what I understand the breakthrough point so that Tuesday I should be done with any troubling WD symptoms (maybe aside from upset stomach).

Keep me posted!

- NHNY
    The Husband likes this.

Anj14 is offline Member

How are you doing lookin?
    How is everything going for you Needhelp?
    Today is another day 2, well technically I guess it might be a day 1 since yesterday I gave in and took 15mg. My anxiety has been well controlled with the Ativan so that makes a huge difference for me. Having low energy, some more mild hot/cold flashes so far. Sleep ok last night but did wake up a few times.

Anj14 is offline Member

Lookin ahead and bad timing, are you guys still checkin in at all? I'd love to hear how you are both doing, even if it's not what you think we need to hear. I have been thinking about you guys and hope you are both hanging in there. Lookin have you continued to taper?
    I am on day 4 of w/d again. The ativan has made a world of a difference for me this time around. My anxiety is 90% lower than it was during the last w/d and I can actually sleep decently while taking Ativan. I actually haven't really experienced much of the physical w/d symptoms this time other than maybe a few hot flashes and runny nose. No stomach upset this time or RLS or body aches. I don't know if it's the Ativan helping with those symptoms also or not. I am having some of the hovering dark cloud over my mind and thoughts still. I have been having some cravings for norco today and I don't know how to shake those. Spent some time outside, went on a long walk, cleaned the house, and still experiencing the depression and cravings. Been feeling very lonely because my husband is out of town for work and it's just me and the two little ones. Tried to set up some get togethers but they fell through. Also I don't want to come off as downer to others because I know my spirits are low now. Would love to hear how you guys are all doing! Even if you have relapsed, please check in!

How are you doing lookin?
    How is everything going for you Needhelp?
    Today is another day 2, well technically I guess it might be a day 1 since yesterday I gave in and took 15mg. My anxiety has been well controlled with the Ativan so that makes a huge difference for me. Having low energy, some more mild hot/cold flashes so far. Sleep ok last night but did wake up a few times.
    Hi Anj,

I'm on Day 3 of jumping off and definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was able to get prescribed Ativan and it has made a world of a difference, as I'm sure you realize too. I also think we both went through the harsh WD symptoms earlier and our bodies have adjusted so they won't come back. For us it's now mind over matter. Ativan has helped keep my mind off the oxy altogether, and has helped me sleep. Sleeping has made a HUGE difference. I woke up with a big smile on my face today after finally getting some sleep. Being awake for 3 days straight had me mentally very fragile.

My friend also gave me 2 2mg Xanax bars to help for daytime, since the Ativan has more sedation qualities and is more meant for sleeping-related anxiety (longer half life) from what I understand. Ativan is not very strong however (my doctor prescribed it in 0.25mg doses but everyone I've read on here was taking 1mg so I went that route and it's made a huge difference). Xanax kicks in much quicker, but doesn't last as long. That's why I want to take the Ativan at night and the Xanax during the day only during the first week of jumping.

If I can just sleep tonight, when I wake up tomorrow I will be 72 hours removed from taking any oxy and into Day 4! From what I understand that is really the turning point so I am excited .

Here is what is important for you in my amateur opinion -- you aren't experiencing any of the horrible physical WD symptoms -- so if you "cave" and take any oxy it's just because you are bored and want to feel "good". I don't think that's a good excuse. That's what got us all here in the first place. Who knows, maybe in a month or more from now you will no longer be dependent, your body will be clean, and you can enjoy one recreationally without then needing or wanting another. I remember for years when I took these recreationally that was the case for me -- a reward after a massive multi-hour workout so I could watch tv and when it wore off I would go to bed. Maybe one day I'll be able to do that without any issues like I did from 15-22. But I sure as >>>> am not trying it now while on Day 3 of getting off this stuff, and I may never try it again.

(Only problem for me is I decided to jump when I still had 40 blues left.....I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. For the time being I put them in my vault.)

LookinAhead is offline Banned

Hey Anj,
    I'm so happy for your success in cutting them off completely! Unfortunately I jumped back up to about 6.5 per day I will be trying my best to cut back down. I'm short on time right now but I will be checking in later tonight.
    Congrats again!

Clint31 is offline Junior Member

Anj, how are you doing? Has your liver ever felt stressed during your time taking the norco or notice any strange body odors at all? Hang in there god bless you. Norco is a terrible drug.

Anj14 is offline Member

NY - I am glad the ativan is helping you too as it seems to have made a HUGE impact for me. Today is day 5 for me. My doctor prescribed me the 1mg strength ativan with a bottle of 80 and two refills so I'm glad I don't have to stress about running out of those since they have helped me so much with my anxiety and sleep.
    Lookin i completely understand, the pull of the drug is so strong. I'm glad you aren't back up to the 120mg or so though. How are you feeling mentally and emotionally? Please keep checking in!
    Clint no I haven't experienced anything like that. Could you share more info?
    NeedHelpInNY likes this.

Anj14 is offline Member

Still having extremely strong cravings for the norco, ugh. And I have another refill I can pick up any time. Wish I was stronger with my willpower.

NY - I am glad the ativan is helping you too as it seems to have made a HUGE impact for me. Today is day 5 for me. My doctor prescribed me the 1mg strength ativan with a bottle of 80 and two refills so I'm glad I don't have to stress about running out of those since they have helped me so much with my anxiety and sleep.
    Lookin i completely understand, the pull of the drug is so strong. I'm glad you aren't back up to the 120mg or so though. How are you feeling mentally and emotionally? Please keep checking in!
    Clint no I haven't experienced anything like that. Could you share more info?
    Oh man that doctor is really hooking you up. Mine gave me just 5mg at first thinking 1 dose should = 0.25mg (yeah right!). I went back and now he gave me 10mg to take 0.5mg at a time, and if I need more to call him. I wish I could just get 80 1mg pieces. Oh well. I suppose these can be addictive too which is why he wants short-term only.

But yeah I'd be lost without it. I too am starting to get the cravings for "feeling high" since it's been out of my system for 4 days but am hoping at 1 week I'll be rid of those. No point in taking a pk if you have a benzo. If you feel on edge despite the ativan, a half glass of wine will strengthren the sedation effect without you getting messed up (assuming it won't be your first sip of alocohol ever ).

Good luck and keep posting.

Oh and either lock away the norco rx or rip it up. If you breakdown and decide you want one, make yourself have to go back to the doctor. Don't make it as easy as filling an rx, no questions asked. Because the question being asked is just what may have you say "you know what.....erg......nevermind, I feel fine, don't want them."

Anj, you are kicking butt!!!! Don't go back now, you have already won! The main reason I went back is because I reaggrevated my injury at the gym. Stress (mostly from work) didn't help either. My wife and I have made it a tradition to put the kids to bed and watch some tv (alone) on the sofa and catch up every night. This is special time for me and I don't want to be edgy with her during this time. For this reason, I would take another dose
    Excuse after excuse right? Well I have realized this and am determined on cutting back down and stopping this cycle, even with the pain. I will be dropping to 4.5 today. Keep on keeping on Anj!

Anj14 is offline Member

Day 7 here. Feeling great physically, no w/d symptoms of any kind at this point. And my anxiety is well controlled with the ativan. Anxiety has also been the hardest part for me because my anxiety builds and builds and becomes so intense I feel like I might break. Sleeping pretty decently too. Can't say that my cravings are gone though. Especially when I let my mind wander about the pills. I'm trying to avoid that by listening to a book on Audible so that while I'm doing daily chores like cooking or cleaning, my mind is focused on the story that I'm listening to. Helps to keep me from dwelling.
    How are you guys hanging in there?
    Have you been able to cut your dose, Lookin?
    NeedHelpInNY likes this.

Day 7?!!!! Wow that's awesome! Yes I dropped down to 4.5 yesterday, which wasn't too hard. The only thing nagging is this damn pain! Bout to go for a run to see if it loosens me up. Anj, so did you quit with remaining pills or did you run short early?

Anj14 is offline Member

I quit when I had some left, gave them to my husband. About a day later when I was starting to feel weak and sick, I ended up taking 15mg just to help with the sickness and haven't had any since then. I'm feeling okay, not really depressed but melancholy. Husband is still out of town but I took the kids out to the park for the day with some family. Completely exhausted feeling now at the end of the day though. The last few hours of the day are so tiring, cook dinner, feed kids, give baths and bedtime routine, wash dishes, pick up house. Anyways I'm being whiny but part of me worries that life is going to be so dull without the pills. For me, they made even the most mundane daily chores something to enjoy and feel great while doing them. Right now I'm just feeling sort of blah. I guess the pills were my own little escape to my happy place. Well I'm going to get some sleep now, I can't begin to explain what a world of a difference it has been with the ativan keeping my anxiety and panicky feelings in check, while also allowing me to get some much needed sleep.

Anj14 is offline Member

End of day 9. Had a really productive day as far as getting household chores accomplished today but had some bouts of anxiety and frustration throughout the day. Physically I feel fine. Other than the fact that I could not sleep at all last night. I don't know why because I've been sleeping pretty well the previous nights. Trying to rely on the ativan less and less and only take half a pill when I really feel anxiety flaring up. Mostly I'm trying to adjust to life without the high from norco and its not been easy. I don't know how to explain it but sometimes I feel like life is just so mundane without my little "boost". Stupid thing to think I know. I hope my spirits are up tomorrow because today they sure were on a bit of a roller coaster ride. I do feel amazing that I got so much accomplished. I cant stand being idle, makes me feel lazy, bored, anxious, etc.
    wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? Still haven't heard from bad timing. Wish she would update. Lookin, how are things going for you? NY how are you feeling?

I used to chuckle when I would hear people say I am 5 days sober or even 9 days sober. I remember thinking 9 days was nothing. Now I KNOW it is a HUGE accomplishment and you don't let anyone tell you different! I am still on 4.5 and jumped up to 6 yesterday. I just can't function at work dealing with my pain. Feels like I can't get off my chair without hurting. I have been taking ibuprofen also, but the pills only make it manageable for a little while. I think I just need a different mentality. Any suggestions? Great job again Anj!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LookinAhead View Post
    I am still on 4.5 and jumped up to 6 yesterday. I just can't function at work dealing with my pain.
    Well since you asked for suggestions please allow me to offer you my opinion. I hope you take this post in the spirit in which it's intended - only trying to help, and get you to perhaps see the entire picture.

You're all over the place with your doses.

Oct. 2nd you said you increased the dose to 6.5mg...
    Oct 3rd you dropped to 4.5mg...
    Oct. 6th you went to 6mg...
    Today you are again at 4.5mg.

What will be your dose tomorrow?

See what I mean? No judgement, I am just noticing a pattern when things get a bit stressful, or you feel your pain level increasing. There will ALWAYS be some kind of reason to take more pills, or raise the dose a bit higher.

I did the same thing so you certainly aren't alone. I injured my knee which got me started on a 17+ year run chasing all kinds of drugs. I tried to go the taper route also and ended up either gobbling all my pills or raising the dose whenever things got out of control. Plenty of others here have done the same as evidenced in many threads and posts.

You have to get serious to have any kind of chance of getting off this stuff. Make a plan and STICKING TO IT will be to your advantage. I really hope you can make it. You have my full support and i will help all that I can. But YOU have to really WANT IT more than anything else in the world right now. You CAN do this!

Again I would make your own thread. It's really nice to go back and see how far you've come, and read things others have written on your own space. I mean this post in a most POSITIVE manner. Good luck!

End of day 9. Had a really productive day as far as getting household chores accomplished today but had some bouts of anxiety and frustration throughout the day. Physically I feel fine. Other than the fact that I could not sleep at all last night. I don't know why because I've been sleeping pretty well the previous nights. Trying to rely on the ativan less and less and only take half a pill when I really feel anxiety flaring up. Mostly I'm trying to adjust to life without the high from norco and its not been easy. I don't know how to explain it but sometimes I feel like life is just so mundane without my little "boost". Stupid thing to think I know. I hope my spirits are up tomorrow because today they sure were on a bit of a roller coaster ride. I do feel amazing that I got so much accomplished. I cant stand being idle, makes me feel lazy, bored, anxious, etc.
    wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? Still haven't heard from bad timing. Wish she would update. Lookin, how are things going for you? NY how are you feeling?
    Hi Ang!! I'm so sorry that I haven't been on for an update. It's a crazy week! ugh, I know that's no excuse though. I'm so so happy for you,...9 days?! That's fantastic!! You should e so proud of you, I know I am!
    Tomorrow is my 30 DAYS!!! WOW!! I never thought I'd say those words lol!! I guess I didn't give myself enough credit huh? You're right behind me...I have NO doubt that you're going to leave this chapter far behind you. It feels good doesn't it? It's difficult some days, I know. I just keep telling myself that "the worst is over and there's honestly nowhere but up from here". I mean, we're only going to feel more "normal" from here on out. I still have days without much energy, but I have learned to deal with them as they come. I rely on vitamins and read a lot about how to get energy naturally. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the emotional rollercoaster I was on before...taking a different pill for what I wanted to feel at the time. Xanax to sleep, Norco first things and throughout the entire day, Adderall for an extra kick...ugh, I don't know how I let things get so out of control. I became someone I used to judge and someone I NEVER want my kids to be. I think THOSE thoughts on my not so great days and it helps...a lot surprisingly. My self inflicted "pity party" is quickly put into check LOL!!
    My sleep has just, this week returned to what it used to! I haven't slept more than 5 hours since I stopped pills. That was both difficult and nice if that makes any sense? I wanted to sleep more, but honestly enjoyed being up before my children. I watched the sun rise, I was "awake" when it was time for me to get them up in the morning...I liked that! See, even the "vad things" have that silver lining if we look for it right?
    Although, I have to say, the GREATEST differences to me, the ones I LOVE the most...I laugh ALL the time!! And with my husband! LOL!! I love eating again, I LOVE sex...a lot!! LOL! Things that I'd forgotten I enjoyed sooo much! (I know...TMI)
    When I was taking so many pills, I'd think, is this why I'm loud, silly, opinionated? Turns out, No, it wasn't! I remembered more...that's who I REALLY was before. I love that I have my personality back and that I don't force myself to smile or laugh. My kids have thrived sooo much and our relationship hasn't gotten even better and stronger over this last month. It's itter sweet honestly. I love it, although I often think of the precious moments I've given up...and for what? Those things drive me even more to HATE pills and what I've allowed them to take from me over this decade.
    Does any of that make any sense to you? Sometimes I feel higher now (with no pills) than I did with them!
    Iluv2smile and silverlining1 like this.

Anj14 is offline Member

Bad timing thank you for your inspirational post. You really give me hope. I'm going through a really rough time right now. Feeling like things will never be okay, I know that's not the truth but it how it feels right now. Just found out that one of my best friends has cancer. Your post truly gives me so much hope and I pray that I can get to as good as a spot as where you are at.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Hang in, Anj.....you are doing great. It does take a little time to get that brain back, but, at least, you aren't fighting withdrawals.....this is just a process and it will get better. Keep moving. And, way to go, on now day 11?

Bad timing thank you for your inspirational post. You really give me hope. I'm going through a really rough time right now. Feeling like things will never be okay, I know that's not the truth but it how it feels right now. Just found out that one of my best friends has cancer. Your post truly gives me so much hope and I pray that I can get to as good as a spot as where you are at.
    Anj, I'm happy I could help. Even if it's only a little. I know that is difficult right now...believe me I haven't forgotten my day 9,10,14 etc. Lol.
    Just remember though, you're really not that far behind me. You don't have much more to go and the worst is over. The physical anyway. In my experience, my opinion, the mental was more difficult than the physical. The sadness and anxiety are brutal some days. It's also true though that while it's mental and that's how is getting you is exactly the way you'll beat it, mentally! Remember this feeling that you dislike so much. Turn it against those Lil devil pills because THEY'RE the reason. Not you. Remember that is much better to feel down than feeling nothing at all. Remember that everyday (literally) will be better and much different than the last. Give yourself the credit you deserve that you are beating this. Alone. With babies, a husband, a life and we both know that's not an easy task! Where some people require a facility, you're a bad a$$ mama that's kicking this in the ball$ single handedly and you're rocking it!
    Listen to music, do a hobby, watch a movie. Everything will still be there when we're back to 100% and honestly when that day comes we're actually gong to be more like 200% because of this journey! I'm really proud of your progress, although not surprised by it. You're a mommy, this is what we're good at, being strong!
    silverlining1 likes this.

Anj14 is offline Member

Hey everyone. I'm back here again on another day 1 after a relapse. I feel so disappointed in myself. I was being sucked down into a depression that was scaring the hell out of me so I decided to take some pills and a few weeks later here I am. I had gotten some news about a very best friend having breast cancer. The same thing that I lost someone to who was like a second mother to me. I am terrified because I don't know what to do with myself. I hate the way I am right now. I don't know HOW to be happy. I don't know how to live life sober. The withdrawal effects aren't too bad this time. Just very tired, slightly upset stomach, anxiety, a little restlessness. I want to be a better mother and I feel like such a loser for my kids. They are my whole world. Honestly just sitting here now I wonder how a person can go through life's downs without having something to help them cope. It seems like there's just so much negativity in the world. I don't know that I have the ability to say "no" when I could get some pills. Even though I know the horrible things they do to our bodies and minds, it's the being raw without them feeling that terrifies me. Maybe everyone will see me as a lost cause and maybe that's because that's what I am. At least in this point of my life. I just know that I don't really know how to continue or how to move forward from here. Sure I could get a couple months of sobriety under my belt and do my best to avoid them but if the situation presents itself to me, I don't think I have the willpower to say no. Then all that sobriety would go down the toilet. It's sad. And it makes me feel disappointed and disgusted with myself but I'm just being honest. I don't know how to get my mind right. I don't know how to live a normal life that doesn't center around my addiction. I don't know how to get off this twisted merry go round. Sorry for rambling if anyone is even reading this. I am just feeling very lost right now.

Anj...

Most of us on this forum have relapsed, several times. Don't beat yourself up.

Obviously, you want to quit......so just keep trying. You made it to what? Day 11? 12? Although the physical symptoms subside within a week......the mental battle is the toughest part.

You have to take control of those pills.......and I promise you, your mind will start coming back. It may be in little waves, at first, moments of happiness.....clarity......seconds where you recognize the old you.....or should I say, what's going to be the new and improved you......and then minutes. This leads to good days, and they become more and more......it is a process.

But, make no mistake.....it does happen.....you will overcome.

Anj14 is offline Member

Thank you for giving me some hope silver! You are truly an amazing spirit that you use your time to help lift people out of moments of deep sadness and hopelessness. I hope that I can learn from your example and fight this. Thank you so much for your kind words, means the world to me. All I know is that I often find myself feeling so low I wish I could escape it all. It just becomes that much of a heavy burden and weight on my shoulders. But I will never, ever voluntarily leave my children motherless in this world.

Hey Anj, I know how you feel. I have been really busy so I haven't been able to respond. I have continued to hover around 4.5. Randy hit it dead on. I have been up and down and really wasn't able to taper the way i planned to. I don't post on here for anyone's sympathy, it's just a way to release. I'm not giving up and I really need to get the mindset that randy talked about. Some days are good and some could be better. I really wish you the best Anj I just know I'm praying for you.

Anj14 is offline Member

Hey lookin, I wrote a post a couple days ago but it's missing now. Anyways I'm glad that you are still checkin in. I still think that's great that you keep your doses so low, my willpower to do that is awful! Yesterday was a little bit better day although I'm still having major cravings. Slept a little better last night. Today will be a busy day so that will be good to help keep my mind off of it. It is so weird how going through withdrawals can be so different each time. This time around I didn't experience many of the physical withdrawals such as chills and hot flashes, body aches, headache, etc. for me this time it has been mostly emotional and mental. I wish I could kick the cravings. They are pretty intense. Messing with my mental state a lot.

Ha ya feeling?, Anj.....and what day are you on?

Or off?

Just let us know you are ok.....k?

Anj14 is offline Member

Silver, doing ok over here. I've been off of the pills for 7 days now. Having ups and downs, trying to get out of this negativity and exhaustion.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast