Advice on coming off of pain pills
    Gg09 is offline New Member

Default Advice on coming off of pain pills

I was injured on a oil rig almost 3 years ago I almost lost both legs and I've had 12 surgeries since then I'm only 24. And I hurt a lot but I keep having to go up on how much I take to get any relief I just want off of them and would like to know some suggestions

Feedback please

I would like someone's advice please

Anonymous Guest

Hey gg09. How long have you been using? What medications are you using? And how much of them? Everyone can help you more with that information provided

I'm on norco 10/325 mg prescribed 6 times a day but I'm takin 2 at. Time now to get any form of relief so I'm takin 12 a day and I just flushed the rest of my script I've tried tapering but I wake up after only a few hours asleep even when taking them as prescribed and end up taking more I'm at the point now if I don't get off I'll have to buy them and don't want to do that and I know I'm hurtin but I want off and I don't know how much of the pain is from what anymore and I have been on the norco for probably 6 months before I was on Percocet but I'm finally done with surgeries on my legs before the injury I had never done any kind of drub and now I feel like it has a hold of me

It has been been almost 3yrs

Anonymous Guest

It's not going to be easy of course, but you can make it if you set your mind too it. I stopped cold turkey when I have been taking 100mg of hydrocodone it was rough. I did it though. Search the Internet for the Thomas recipe I think it helped me a lot recently. Lot of water and hot showers/baths.

It won't be easy, but a week of struggling to be free the rest of your life is a small price to pay.

Good luck.

Thanks man I'll keep yall updated on how things go I'm not even gonna lie I'm scared to death to do this but scared to death what's gonna happen to my life if I dont

Anonymous Guest

Anything you can do to get your mind off of pills. Walking, going for a drive, movies, extra work hours. ANYTHING besides doing nothing and just thinking about using.

Do u know I'm lyrica helps with rls

Flower child 2015 is offline Junior Member

Gg
    I have heard that gabapentin does I believe lyrica is related to that
    I have a Rx for that and am using it for leg pain
    I was taking 8 Percocet daily when I began tapering 5 days ago
    I'm on my 2/ day taper 2 oxycodone daily - the RLS hasn't started yet although I know it's coming and it is what I fear as well
    I am hoping the supplements I am taking help too ( Thomas recipe)
    That would be good to have
    Eat eat only small amts but drink lots
    My electric blanket is really helping my legs
    We can do this together !
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Wifeofchronicpain is offline New Member

My husband is a chronic pain patient, too, but it took about 2 years and 30 doctors to tell us WHY the Norco doesn't work after awhile. The way that particular med works in the brain, your brain basically stops responding to it after around 6 weeks. Other narcotics work a little differently, but that particular form loses it's efficacy after 6 weeks. After that, it's also mostly in your head for if it's "working" anymore....

It's also dangerous to take more than 10 tablets of the hydrocodone a day because of the Tylenol content in the tablets (acetaminophen). Another reason to go on something without acetaminophen in there, and avoid narcotics if you can.

Lyrica works for some while gabapentin works better for others. It all depends on the person. But, you may want to talk to your primary doctor about working with your PM doc about getting on a medication regimine to help with all your symptoms, and talk with your pharmacist for their opinion as well since they go to school specifically for drugs themselves, not medicine in general.

My husband is currently working on a puzzle and watching Pawn Stars with his TENS unit on to distract himself while tapering/going of narcotics. We're there with you!

YOU CAN DO IT!

Thank yall. Yall are a huge help Im literally scared to death I have tried before and failed cause I had access to them and gave In when I started hurtin or withdrawals started I'm so embarrassed of myself for gettin this way go from Bein tough playin college football never takin anything for pain to makin great money in the oil field movin up quick and wake up one day and I feel helpless like I can't control my own life anymore and money bein tight and I feel like nobody could ever begin to understand unless they go thru it I feel like just because I had a bad injury and was still taking them after this time that I'm a bad person or a drug dealer or somethin iono I guess I'm crazy but thank yall