Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
Advice for giving up Percocet
    Anonymous Guest

Closing in on 8 full day! Feels good too say that. Most of my withdraw symptoms are gone. Except the sleep. I've only slept about 7 hours between the past two nights. I know 5 years of damage doesn't heal overnight so I'm keeping my spirits high.

Just wanted to give you all an update, thanks again!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

That's great news. Congratulations. Staying positive is key right now. The ups and downs of sleep can be tough. It is especially important to keep the one day at a time attitude. It WILL turn around so long as you're strong and give it the time you need to heal. When I feel my mood slipping, I get myself with happy people who will be outrageous and laugh. Pulls me right outta my funk. Best medicine in the world.

Peace,

Cat

Anonymous Guest

It's been a couple days since I've posted so just giving an update.
    I'm almost to ten full days clean now. All withdraw symptoms are gone except the sleep and restless legs every once in a while. Sleep is slowly getting better, very slowly. It feels good to have a clear mind and get through my days without using. I haven't felt his way in a long time and very glad I made this decision. I know I've still got a long road ahead but I'm ready for the challenge.

Thank you all for the support
    silverlining1 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Just wanted to update my thread. I'm about an hour away from being clean 13 days, feels great to say that. All the withdraw symptoms have pretty much all gone away. Even the headache that I've had for 12 straight days (drove me crazy) it's still there but very small. The past two nights I've slept relatively good I've got 6-7 hours each night with only small problems of restless legs. I've quit taking all medications except for the vitamins on the Thomas recipe. I'm eating good, maybe not the way I was before but I'll call it good. I still have rough patches throught my days where I crave or look at the clock too see if it's my time to take pills and then I remember, I'm clean!

It wasn't easy and I know I've still got a long road ahead of me but I really really want this. I'm young and still have a lot of life ahead of me and I want to experience it sober and with a clear head. I would encourage anyone reading this too do the same. When I was using I was always watching the clock, having to turn around on my way to work because I forgot my pills or planning my days around them. It's so worth it and I hope it continues to get better and easier.

I want to thank all of you that have posted on my thread, for the support, for answering my questions and for giving me tips and advice. I'm going to continue to post and I'll also check back to help or encourage anyone else. Thank you all!
    Flower child 2015 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

In about an hour and a half I will have been opiate free for 2 weeks!! It wasn't an easy road to get here but I'm glad I stuck it out. I feel good. All symptoms have gone away. I still have trouble falling asleep but once I do I stay asleep untill my alarm goes off. I have small headaches still and don't feel like I have a lot of energy sometimes but I can deal with that.

I would encourage anyone thinking about giving up drugs to quit. Yes I still have cravings but I don't have to worry about so many of the things that went along with using and that feels great. I know I still have a long way to go and a lot of tough days ahead of me, but I'm sticking to it this time.

Just wanted to give an update. Thank you all

Anonymous Guest

I've made it over 18 days clean. It wasn't and still isn't easy but I'm glad I finally did it. All the physical symptoms are gone. I'm sleeping throughout the night without problems. And eating much more than I was while on pills.

The only problem now is I'm bored. When I got off work I used to be fine going home and doing laundry or watching tv. Now the 4-5 hours I have before bed I'm just bored.. I still have cravings some days and then some I don't even think about it for hours. I guess it's just part of the process. I know I still have a long way to go but I'm sticking too it.

Thank you all for your help. I probably won't post every day anymore but I'll be checking back to update and offer advice to anyone I can.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Congrats, Okc....

18 days...yay!!!!

Oh, the boredom is a biggie. On opiates, we are content to sit around and do nothing. You have to start changing it up. Find other things to do to occupy your time....now that you don't have to worry about pills.....you can do anything you want with no constraints.

Maybe a cooking class? Something you've always been interested in, but you never did? You have a whole new life ahead of you. Time for a hobby?

You've accomplished an amazing thing......what a wonderful Christmas gift to yourself!!!!

jennyfoster is offline New Member

Nice advices has been given by u peeps for giving up Percocet, useful for me too....

Anonymous Guest

I'm over 24 days off opiates now. I physically feel fine. Eat more than before. Sleep is much better than it has been the past couple weeks. I can't sleep over 8 hours but that's fine with me. The mental stuff is still here though. I wouldn't say that it's gotten harder but I have a few hours before bed and sometimes through the day where I have small anxiety moments. I just shower or get up and try to get it off my mind and that helps most times. It's still tough but I didn't expect five years of using to go away in a month. For anyone reading this who's thinking about quitting I would encourage you to do so. I spent my first Christmas in five years sober, I'm looking forward to many more.

Thank you all for the support throughout all of this and happy holidays!

daisyprincess is offline New Member

You can just stop taking Percocet…but ONLY IF you’ve taken Percocet for short-term management of an illness or injury, In fact, you can usually just stop taking Percocet at any time for acute ailments when the drug is no longer needed as long as you haven’t developed physical dependence on Percocet. But if you’ve taken Percocet for chronic pain management, it may be harder to quit. Percocet use usually results in a dependence, and can even become an addiction in some people.

Gradually reducing your dose over several weeks or even months is the best way to stop taking Percocet. Talk to your doctor about an appropriate dosing schedule so that you can safely taper yourself off of Percocet. But in general, a 2 to 3 week tapering regimen should follow these guidelines:

Avoid reducing the daily dose of Percocet by > 50% at any given interval
    Reduce each daily dose of Percocet by 10%
    Reduce the dose of Percocet by 20% every 3-5 days
    Reduce the dose of Percocet by 25% per week.

Anonymous Guest

Well I came up with strep throat yesterday. Like I didn't have enough to deal with right now haha. But they prescribed me promethizene/codine. (Sp?). My question is is this going to hurt anything by taking this Medicen? I know some people use this to get high but if I used it as directed would it mess anything up? If so I'm not gonna fill it just thought I'd ask.

Thank you all. On my 26th day clean!!

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Okc21 View Post
    Well I came up with strep throat yesterday. Like I didn't have enough to deal with right now haha. But they prescribed me promethizene/codine. (Sp?). My question is is this going to hurt anything by taking this Medicen? I know some people use this to get high but if I used it as directed would it mess anything up? If so I'm not gonna fill it just thought I'd ask.

Thank you all. On my 26th day clean!!
    I know a recipe for dealing with strep throat. Take a half glass of water. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Take sip, gargle, swallow. This will kill the germs and unlike salt water, you can swallow it so it clears the throat as well.Continue to take a sip and repeat gargle and swallow every half hour.
    It's amazing how this works for the sore throat.
    Happy New Year and congrats on Day 26!!!!

Anonymous Guest

Haven't updated this in a while so I figured I should. 34 days opiate clean! I just re read my whole post and it's crazy how much has changed since day 1. I can't thank you all for the support and advice you've given me over the past month, it really helped.

As of today I physicall feel fine. Eat good sleep good. Every few nights I'll still have rls and have a little trouble falling asleep but once I do I'm out all night. I have noticed that I don't have the energy that I did but that's alright. Nothing a cup of coffee in the morning or an energy drink after lunch doesn't fix.

I know I've gotten the easy part over with and I've still have a lot of mental challenges ahead of me but I'm ready. I really want this and I'm not looking back. If there's anyone who reads this who is contemplating getting clean I would really encourage you to. Yes it was difficult for a couple weeks. But after just over 4 weeks I'm great. I had my first Christmas and New Years clean In 5 years and looking forward to many more.

Again thank you all so much. For real. I'll continue to check the board daily and offer any help and advice I can.
    Catrina likes this.

Hi!

I was wondering where you were. Glad you came and gave us an update. I hope you do stay to help others. It will help you too. Now is the time to work some kind of recovery program. Meetings, therapy, something that will work for you. White knuckling recovery isn't easy.

YAY for you!!

Peace,

Cat

Anonymous Guest

Today is day 54. Most things are back to "normal". Sleep, eating, and life in general. My mood was pretty down for the last couple of weeks but I'm feeling better day by day. No real cravings. Sometimes before bed my heart will race or I'll have restless legs but it's for a short period of time. I usually just get up and get some water and it goes away.

My only big problem left is that I have headaches. EVERY DAY. I wake up with one and go to bed with one. Advil helps SOMETIMES for short periods of time but never fixes it all the way. I don't know what to do. I'm hydrated, I'm eating, ive tried Advil, Tylenol, all the other things like that. Slept for ten hours and slept for five. No relief. I'm getting close to going to see a doctor but I really don't want too. Is this normal? Any advice on what I might be doing wrong or what could help?

It's driving me nuts and wearing me out. Besides that I'm great! Looking forward to more clean days!!

Anonymous Guest

I figured this would go away just like the rest of the symptoms but it hasn't.

ItsPossible is offline Member

Hey Ok21
    Have you spoke to the doctor about it.
    I had headaches caused by medication... called rebound headaches.
    Botox injections helped a great deal. I out a tsp of salt in a glass of water and my migraine goes from intense to a mild headache.
    Lots of cool tricks to try on the internet.
    Also sticking your feet into warm water with a cold cloth on your neck works as well.
    I like to look up the metaphysical reasons for pain and I can usually relate to them.
    Great job on your clean days!
    Isn't it crazy cool to be free from the slavery?

Anonymous Guest

No I haven't seen a doctor about it yet but if it continues much longer I will. This has gone on for 55 days now.. Not exadurating at all. Advil will weaken it for 2 or 3 hours but then it starts up again.
    I don't know what to do. Maybe it's normal? Any advice?

ItsPossible is offline Member

No I haven't seen a doctor about it yet but if it continues much longer I will. This has gone on for 55 days now.. Not exadurating at all. Advil will weaken it for 2 or 3 hours but then it starts up again.
    I don't know what to do. Maybe it's normal? Any advice?
    Did you try the tsp of salt in a glass of water?
    Try it. Sounds weird like isn't salt bad for you.
    What its actually doing is giving your body enough minerals, salt and electrolytes at the same time.
    Drink coconut water or drink water with added himalayan sea salt, a pink salt that has 84 minerals, electrolytes and more.
    I just used regular salt and it helped immensely.
    Good luck. Hope it goes away and lets you rest.
    Love and light xxoo

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Today is day 54. Most things are back to "normal". Sleep, eating, and life in general. My mood was pretty down for the last couple of weeks but I'm feeling better day by day. No real cravings. Sometimes before bed my heart will race or I'll have restless legs but it's for a short period of time. I usually just get up and get some water and it goes away.

My only big problem left is that I have headaches. EVERY DAY. I wake up with one and go to bed with one. Advil helps SOMETIMES for short periods of time but never fixes it all the way. I don't know what to do. I'm hydrated, I'm eating, ive tried Advil, Tylenol, all the other things like that. Slept for ten hours and slept for five. No relief. I'm getting close to going to see a doctor but I really don't want too. Is this normal? Any advice on what I might be doing wrong or what could help?

It's driving me nuts and wearing me out. Besides that I'm great! Looking forward to more clean days!!
    Hey Okc
    Are you drinking enough water? I had some headaches for a short while. Took Randy's advice & began hydrating like crazy. Gatorade is great for replenishing minerals. B Complex helps moods.
    What are u eating also? Headaches sometimes originate in the stomach.
    Let us know how it's going. You've come so far...

Anonymous Guest

On most days I drink water and gatorade throught the day and use the bathroom frequently. There are a few days that I don't drink tons of fluids like on a weekend when I'm relaxing. So I really don't think hydration is the problem.. As for food I'm a single guy in my middle 20s, I don't have the best diet. But it's the same as it has been for the last few years with drive throughs. I hope this goes away soon..

Anonymous Guest

102 days! Man am I glad to be here. I feel really good. I fall asleep fine. A few days a week I wake up during the night a couple times but I can fall back asleep pretty quick. I've gained over 20 pounds and could use another 10 or so. I still have headaches every couple of days but it's much better than it was and goes away with a couple Advil. Life is good!

I still have bad days and days I don't want to get out of bed for work, but so do people without addictions. It's so great to be free from pills. No more worrying, no more counting, no more clock watching. If anyone is contemplating getting clean I can tell you the grass really is greener on this side. It wasn't an easy 102 days but it was worth it and I'm looking forward to many many more.

Thank you again to everyone who gave me advice or commented on here just to encourage me. I'm sure you know how good it feels to get this off you're chest and have someone who's been there to guide you. I don't check this every day anymore but I log on a few times a week and I'll do my best to give back and help and support the new people like you all have done me.
    Gonnawin likes this.

Anonymous Guest

160 days clean! Getting closer and closer to 6 months. Life is back to "normal" I guess haha. Pills still cross my mind almost every day. Sometimes only for a moment sometimes for longer. Not thoughts of "where can I find them" or cravings. But just small thoughts of old times or if I'm doing something where I'd usually use. Which I very quickly let go of, i can't even fathom starting all over again. No more day 1s here. They are getting less frequent though. I can't wait for the day where it's totally out of my head.
    I couldn't be happier that I made this choice over 5 months ago. My life is so much better, Just thought I'd update!
    Catrina likes this.

Congratulations! It gets better and better and easier. Those thoughts will stop for days then weeks at a time. You are already at the point where it's not even a craving. Just a thought and nothing more. Good for you!

Peace,

Cat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12