Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Advice for giving up Percocet
    Anonymous Guest

Default Advice for giving up Percocet

this is my first post here. I'm 26 years old and I've struggled with opiate addiction for about five years. The first two were worse than these last three. The first two years I was taking about 100 mg of hydrocodone per day. I gave that up for about 5 months. Then started again. For the past three years I've been taking 30 mg of Percocet ( 3x 10/325). As of 3 days ago I cut that dosage down too 15 mg, not exactly easy but i still made it too work. i guess my question for you all is do you think it would be best to jump from here? I have one 8 mg subutex, I've read that it can be helpful with w/d if used in very small amounts and only for a few days. I've found the Thomas recipe. I know this is a much lower dose than a lot of you on here but I'm struggling with it. Any help, advice or support is appreciated.

Thanks.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

My two cents based on a ton of experience is that you should throw that sub away right now. You don't need it and it will only prolong the process to detoxing and getting clean. No question there. Trust me on that one thing if nothing else. At 15mg/day, I absolutely would tell you to make an appointment with your Day 1 of detox. I know you're working so plan so that you take your very last dose on Thursday night or early Friday. By the following Monday, you will be all but done with any of the ugly detox symptoms. At this low dose, I wouldn't expect that you'll have much trouble physically. The mental stuff is there no matter if you're taking 15 or 150mg/day. Make up your mind that you're done. Get some support here and wherever else you can get it...meetings, a friend, family...wherever. No such thing as too much support.

Take care of this now or your small habit will become bigger. It always does. Addiction is like a cancer. If you let it go, it WILL get out of hand. No question there either. I have never heard of anyone who has abused opiates and not developed a tolerance for their dose and either stopped or continued to up their usage to a place that becomes hell to return from. This is just the way it is without exception. Whether you are only physically dependent or fully addicted, the outcome remains the same--quit or escalate.

Keep posting and most importantly, make your date! Be sure you don't have anything around "just in case". If you're going to do this, you have to be all in. If there's anything within your grasp that get you over a bump, it's pretty hard to resist. Detox and recovery is an all or nothing deal. If you're done, you're done and you don't need even one pill within your reach. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. (GET RID OF THAT SUB!!!)

Peace,

Cat.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks Cat I really appreciate the response. That was my plan to take the last dose on Thursday, I can make it through Friday's work without too many problems. I've got a smal amount of Xanax, very small. I don't like taking it so no chance of addiction too that my job requires me to be very coherent. I believe I can deal with the stomach pains and other physical physical problems that go with this, I have trouble with sleep. Do you or anyone else know of anything that helps with sleep other than Xanax? Thanks again Cat.

Anonymous Guest

Do you think I'm fine to stay at 15 mg for the next two days or would it help even more too try and take 10mg tonight and then 5 mg tomorrow (Thursday). Then quit completely after that? Would it make that much of a difference? Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Have you always had trouble sleeping or is this new since you've been taking percocets? You are on a fairly low dose and if the sleep thing is new and related to the percs, it shouldn't take long at all for your normal sleep to return. If this has been going on and is unrelated, I'd go see my doctor and ask for something less addictive to help you sleep. That said, it's always best to resist the xanex if you can. If you really need it, take it as sparingly as possible, only at night and not beyond the first few days of detox. Just be careful with them because they can be nasty and creep up on you especially if you begin to rely upon them for sleep. There are other, safer things that your doctor can prescribe.

Good plan to take your last dose tomorrow night. If you can get by on less before you actually quit, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I honestly wouldn't stress too much about this. I'm not making light of this, but thankfully, you aren't taking all that much and in the scheme of things for not all that long. I really think you should sail through this in just a few days and your symptoms will be minimal. Perhaps some bathroom issues, a bit of anxiety/craving, boredom and maybe interrupted sleep. Get some over the counter Melatonin from any grocery store, pharmacy, Walmart, etc. and take one at night. It will help to relax you and may even help you to sleep. Try that before you resort to the xanex.

It sounds like you're most concerned about not being able to sleep. Again, if this has been an issue for you, call and/or go see your doctor. There are much better things to help sleep than benzos and you can take them over a long period of time without the risk of addiction.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. Good luck!

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Anonymous Guest

I am probably over reacting a little. I just remember the cold turkey from 100 mg a few years at, couldn't imaging what some of the other people on here have gone through. No I slept fine before pain pills and I sleep fine on pain pills. I'm concerned about getting sleep while detoxing.

Thanks again

it's not over reacting and these are the thoughts that we obsess about when we're preparing to detox especially if we've done it before. We procrastinate because we know what we're going to face. You may not even have issues with sleep if you try to not stress about it. I was on huge amounts and I did have big time sleep issues but I've read posts by others who were able to get 5 or 6 hours and more. That's totally doable! Try to not over think this and PLAN on moving through your detox and do the things you would ordinarily do. You may not feel 100% but shutting down will get yourself into your own head and make things worse. Get up in the morning, shower, get dressed and get on with your day. If you're tired, rest. Try to stay busy and the days will pass more quickly. You got this.

Peace,

Cat

niecer is offline Senior Member

Okc.....I was in about the same situation as you, meaning I was on about the same dosage as you only mine went on for over 25 years. I quit cold turkey, burned all my bridges where I could get pills and went from there.
    For me it wasn't that bad. I know I say that now since I've been clean for 3 months. At the time I quit, I didn't think I would ever sleep well again. I had no stomach issues, no diarrhea, very mild rls. My main problem was lack of energy and sleep. Nothing helped the sleep issue but it got better after about a month.
    I know it's different for everyone but you can do this.

Anonymous Guest

Thanks niecer for the reply. That makes me feel a little better. I just vividly remember my last detox and it was hell. (Quite a bit more drugs though). I had a car wreck five years ago and damaged my back, the pain has been gone a while. I've already called the doctor and told him. So that I could never go back again. The only place I could get drugs from is subutex and I've been down that road, not too far but I've been there and don't want to return. I'm pretty optimistic since I'm on a low dose and had very little trouble cutting it in half these past few days. I'm ready to close this chapter in my life and move forward finally.

Again thank you both so much and if anyone else on the board has advice or a similar experience >> love to hear it.
    niecer likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Yesterday I cut my dose down to 10 mg. (was at 15mg past 2 days) quite a bit of discomfort this morning. I'm going to try and stick to 10 mg tonight again. Then nothing from then on.

Anonymous Guest

Sticking to 10 mg tonight again. Made it through the day with some discomfort. I will be taking my last dose in about an hour. Does anyone have any insight on how to speed the process up?
    Example: drinking tons of water and flushing out my system?
    Going to a sauna and sweating a lot?

ANY advice, support or stories are appreciated..

Thanks

Anonymous Guest

It's been 38 hours since my last dose. Very mild stomach ache/cramps. Small headaches. And pretty bad restless legs anytime I sit still and let my mind wonder. My appetite hasn't been great but I've made myself eat. Slept about 4 hours last night. I've been taking quite a few vitamins, Imodium regularly, Advil regularly and .5 mg of Xanax last night to try and sleep. Other than that just as many HOT showers or baths as possible and drinking water by the case.

Good to hear that you're doing this., Stay strong. You only have another couple of days of this and maybe not even that long. It shouldn't get worse. Keep you head in the right place and try and stay busy. Walking, movies. whatever it takes. Little chores around the house. ANYTHING to pass the time and take your mind off of this. Keep posting. You're doing great.

Peace,

Cat

Anonymous Guest

Well it's been 57 hours since my last dose. I've been able too keep small amounts of food down without much problem. Still taking the same meds only last night .25 Xanax instead of .5. I slept worse last night than any other so far. The restless legs drive me crazy, especially at night. Do you think I've got much longer? Or that it'll get any worse?

Thank you.

Anonymous Guest

71 hours since my last dose. I felt about the same as yesterday, not great but I expected worse. I've been taking multiple baths every day. As hot as I can stand for an hour each and sweating as much as possible, they seem to really help. Hoping sleep goes better tonight than last.

Glad you're hanging in there. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and NO I don't think that you have much more time to go nor should your symptoms will get worse. My vast experience is that once you've gotten to Day 3, the symptoms peak and stay steady for another day or two. Hang on and hang tight. Try to get a walk in and stay busy. I swear, just doing whatever it takes to pass the time is the best help of all.

Peace,

Cat

jeffro6527 is offline Member

Cat --you are just an amazing person, what else can I even say? You're an angel. You were the second person to message me when I went through this so long ago and I will never forget the love and encouragement you showed me, a complete stranger. Now to come back and see you still so passionately at it helping others, its just so amazing. You're one amazing person, and I know you know you're doing what you were meant to do

Ork21-- First of all, congratulations on making this decision to take your life back. I can tell you from this side of the fence the grass is MUCH GREENER over here! Secondly; I would like to tell you something a very wise person once told me on this very forum. In a month you will look back on this as a distant memory. The further you get away from it the better it will feel. With the dose you were on I would imagine if you aren't already feeling better you will be very soon. The energy and joint aches were the last things to leave me, took a few weeks, but they got better everyday. The restless legs were the worst part for me, and it was like magic the day they just left and never came back. I wanna say that was around day 10 for me but I was tapering from a much higher dose than you were on and for a bit longer.

You've got a real pro in Cat in your corner. Listen to her advise and you will make it!

Your pal,
    JEffro
    niecer likes this.

Anonymous Guest

It's been about 5 and a half days since my final dose. Appitite is almost all the way back, eating 3 times a day. Restless legs is my problem also. I'm fine all day long but as soon as I lay down they just go crazy and that keeps me from sleeping. I'm still taking the multivitamin and .25 mg of Xanax right before bed. I didn't get here in a day and I know it's not going to be fixed in a day.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. It really feels good to talk with someone about this.

Okc,

Look for Hylands Restless Legs. Any pharmacy, most grocery stores in the vitamin section, Walmart, etc. It might help your legs a little. I know this feeling well and it is absolutely maddening! I don't know where you live but I'm in NE so the cooler weather is now here. Heating pads set on low settled my legs. Not perfect but did give some much wanted relief. I wouldn't expect you'll be bothered by it for much longer. Have you ever in the past suffered with RLS? I did! There are some non-narcotic scripts to help with that. Wish I could remember the name but it was a God send years back. Might want to ask your doctor if it persists. You don't have to tell you what kick started this. Even some clean folk who never used opiates can have RLS. UGH! Just the thought of it makes my skin crawl. So sorry for you but it has to be nearly at the end. Oh yeah--try bananas too. Potassium helps.

Peace,

Cat

Anonymous Guest

Wow Jeffro I just had a break from work and read your entire post. Congratulations man that's amazing. It really gave me inspiration and showed me there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again for replying.

Cat, no I have never had any trouble with restless legs before this. I'm taking potassium pills currently and have been since day one. I might have to give the highlands a try. I make it through the days without too much struggle, although today I have had a craving. But my days are so busy with work it keeps it off my mind somewhat. When I get home and let the day unwind is when it's tougher and gets worse when I try and sleep. I know it won't last forever so I just keep moving along and take it night by night.

Another thing is I've been getting headaches. I didn't have them the first three days which maybe because I took Advil on a schedule with immodium so that may have just stopped them before they started. But these past two days I've had them regularly. I guess what I'm asking is this normal? And if it's just my brain healthing should I do away with the Advil or continue to take it as needed?

Again I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help me, a complete stranger. Seeing a reply to my thread brightens my day. Thank you so much and I will continue to post regularly.

JeffRob887 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Okc21 View Post
    this is my first post here. I'm 26 years old and I've struggled with opiate addiction for about five years. The first two were worse than these last three. The first two years I was taking about 100 mg of hydrocodone per day. I gave that up for about 5 months. Then started again. For the past three years I've been taking 30 mg of Percocet ( 3x 10/325). As of 3 days ago I cut that dosage down too 15 mg, not exactly easy but i still made it too work. i guess my question for you all is do you think it would be best to jump from here? I have one 8 mg subutex, I've read that it can be helpful with w/d if used in very small amounts and only for a few days. I've found the Thomas recipe. I know this is a much lower dose than a lot of you on here but I'm struggling with it. Any help, advice or support is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Doing a cold turkey with percocet can surely cause extreme discomfort especially if you're a long term user, which may include muscle cramps, disruption of sleep, vomiting, and diarrhea. Having the a cold turkey will also make you more prone to relapse. You may want to seek professional help. There are many experts in percocet detox, wherein they use the method called "tapering", this method lowers the dosage of percocet over a period of time so that the body of an individual can slowly adjust and avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

Headaches are a tough one. Kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't. I have read a lot about rebound pain from aspirin/Tylenol, etc. primarily where headaches are concerned. I was plagued with them years ago. This may have something to do with it and the only way to figure it out for sure is to abstain from the Advil for a few days to see. I actually don't think the rebound pain thing would be happening to you unless you were taking a lot of them and for a longer time than you have but who knows??? Me? I'd take em at this point so long as they help being careful not to take more than the safe daily allowance. lol Look at us. For real! I put tons of stuff in my body for years without regard to what I was doing to myself and now I read the label and worry about an extra dose of Advil. OH yeah...let me light up a cigarette while I finish this up. I'm a nut case for real!

Seriously. If I were you (and I was just multiplied) I'd go ahead and take the Advil (or whatever over the counter stuff you have) and if they help, good. I should mention (and I'm not saying this is you) that early into recovery I found myself reaching for the Advil every time I turned around and realized I really didn't need it. It was just a part of my habit. I wanted to take something!!! It was easy to break that habit once I noticed it, but I did find it interesting that it was a part of the package.

Good luck buddy. You're doing fantastic.

Peace,

Cat
    JeffRob887 likes this.

niecer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRob887 View Post
    Doing a cold turkey with percocet can surely cause extreme discomfort especially if you're a long term user, which may include muscle cramps, disruption of sleep, vomiting, and diarrhea. Having the a cold turkey will also make you more prone to relapse. You may want to seek professional help. There are many experts in percocet detox, wherein they use the method called "tapering", this method lowers the dosage of percocet over a period of time so that the body of an individual can slowly adjust and avoid the withdrawal symptoms.
    You are already , what five days clean? Just keep on track.you're doing great . I quit cold turkey 3 months ago because I don't think I could have done a taper.my opinion, it's just best to rip that bandaid off quick. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous Guest

Jeff- thanks for taking the time to reply. I knew cold turkey would be hard, but it's what I wanted too do. I couldn't keep going like that. They pills ran my life, I was always watching the clock too see when I could take more.

Cat- I was only taking the Advil three times a day so not too much. Yesterday I didn't take any untill last night. I couldn't deal with the headache anymore. Last night was my first night not to take the Xanax for sleep. I planned on taking it through tonight (my one week) but I felt like I could do without it. So I did. Didn't sleep well and when I finally would dose off I'd wake up regularly. Oh well. Surprisingly I had little to no trouble with restless legs. Thank god.

Anonymous Guest

Niecer- tonight will be 7 full days! Ya that's they point I was at also. Just ready to get it over with and see what the other side is like. Thanks for the support

Anyways today marks 6 full days. Woke up early and had a small headache. I'm really tired from getting about 3-4 hours of sleep last night but I'm going to push thought it. I didn't have a problem with restless legs for the first time last night, hoping it stays that way!
    I'm still continuing to take the vitamins along with Advil when I think I really need it but that's it. Still taking a shower when I get up and a hot bath around bed time which seems to help a lot. Appetitie is almost normal and I'm eating fine.

Just wanted to give an update and tell you all thanks for taking the time to reply.

Good morning Okc21!

Congrats on 7 days clean, what a huge accomplishment! You should be proud! Just know that everyday you stay clean you refuse to be a failed statistic. Where alot of people seem to look at success rates as daunting, I always looked at them like a challenge Maybe thats just my competative spirit but I would tell myself I don't care how many people survive as long as its more than 1 I will be in that group. Tell yourself that, believe it, and become it.

I am sure this is coming a bit late in your detox and I appologize but the medication you wanted for RLS is clonodine 0.1-0.2 mg in the evening will both make you sleepy and make the RLS about 85% better. It takes about an hour to kick in but when it does it was amazing for me. I would take it and go walk around or something to busy myself so I wouldnt think about my legs. When I started feeling a little groggy I would sit or lay down and it would be much better. Alot of people say to be careful with that drug as it can cause rebound hypertension but if you only use it for 7-10 days and only at night at the doses listed above I found it quite easy to stop with no ill effects. I monitored my BP morning and night for a week after just to check and it was completely fine.

Keep it up, you're doing as good as anyone before you ever did so far!

Your pal,
    Jeffro

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRob887 View Post

My opinion is that you don't need a professional taper schedule when you are taking the low dose of percs you have been on. If you were up at 100mgs I would say maybe but its proven time and time again most people can not taper. I myself did but in the end I found myself wondering why I dragged the agony out for 6 weeks rather than just getting to it. You can read my account (taper) >> someone like efil pleh (cold turkey). Mine was easier at the quit date for sure but what you wont see is the 6 weeks prior that I endured mild- moderate symptoms 2-3 days a week every week. It sucked for sure but the good news is that I never need to go through that again

I also crynge when I hear the word professional help thrown around these forums as we have seen some really clueless doctors with really good intentions do more harm than good. You dont want to end up on suboxone or replacement therapy so I think you are doing the exact right thing.

Just my 2 cents

Keep it up the worst of it is already behind you!

Your pal,
    Jeffro

Anonymous Guest

In about 10 hours I will have been clean from opiates a whole week. Feels good too say that!
    Today so far has been harder than the past couple. Little appetite, bad headache and shakey hands. Do you guys think that could be a result of not taking my regular .25 dose of Xanax last night? I have only been taking the .25 mg for five days, once a day right before bed. Surely it's not cause of that?

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Okc21 View Post
    In about 10 hours I will have been clean from opiates a whole week. Feels good too say that!
    Today so far has been harder than the past couple. Little appetite, bad headache and shakey hands. Do you guys think that could be a result of not taking my regular .25 dose of Xanax last night? I have only been taking the .25 mg for five days, once a day right before bed. Surely it's not cause of that?

Thanks again everyone.
    No I don't think its that at all, and I think you are smart to stop using the benzo crutch as quickly as possible. You dont want to exchange one for another. Youre doing fantastic, I am sorry there is no magic numerical date that we can tell you when all this will go away but have faith that if you stay clean this will all pass.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Congrats, Okc21......

You are close to a week right about now.....and NOW you know it can be done. You never have to be sick again, or worried you ran out of pills. You won't get worse or anything else at this point.....everyday will get better and better and you can regain your freedom in life. Most important, you NEVER have to use again. Your choice, but you made it through the worst.

Feels good, huh?

Good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast