Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Advice on how to talk to my Dr. about tapering Oxycodone.
    jarl is offline Junior Member

Question Advice on how to talk to my Dr. about tapering Oxycodone.

Hi all...

I'm desperately searching for advice on how to talk to my Dr about tapering my Oxycodone. I'm prescribed 10mg of Oxycodone every 6 hours but I've become dependent on them and find I need to take more and more. I've gone from 100mg down to 25mg (yesterday) and really just want to be off the pills altogether. I feel awful (physically and mentally) having jumped down from such a high daily dose to just 25mg yesterday. I've been through withdrawals many many times. They just get harder and harder. Two days ago I made it to day three before taking a 5mg percocet and now I'm taking just the 25mg daily to get by.
    Please tell me how talk to him about tapering without him ending our contract because I say I'm dependent/addicted.

jarl

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome,

A lot of this depends upon your doctor and if you've asked for early refills before giving him/her reason to doubt you. Even then, my guess is that if you go in and have a frank talk and admit to taking more than prescribed and now wanting off, he/she will give you one script of fewer pills than usual to see how you do. You've got one shot at this. If you are truly ready, talk to your doctor and be completely honest. One shot. He just might not believe you if you have to go in and do this all over again.

I am so sorry that you got to day 3 and caved. You were almost there! Even so, if you are managing at 25mg/day, I'd advise you to just end it here and now. That's a fairly low dose and within days all of it will be behind you. You can do this but you have to really want it. If you are where you're at because you're going to run out of pills before you can get a refill--that's the wrong reason. I know I've been there. Every month when I was 2 weeks away from getting a refill, I swore I was done. Until I could get the refill.

Once you get to the point that you are willing to flush what remaining pills you have left down the toilet, then you'll know you're ready. Tapering is hard. Dropping from 100 to 25 is so significant that you honestly would be better off just stopping. Tapering involves very small reductions over a much longer period of time.

Am I right? Are you almost out of pills and not ready for a refill? Not trying to make you feel bad. Just letting you know that I've been there and done that. If you're ready, you can do this! We'll help you.

Peace,

Cat
    jarl likes this.

Hiya Cat...

My Pain Dr is also my PCP. He does his Pain Managements on Wed and is PCP every other day. I did put in an Urgent call on Friday to his office and explained that I want to get off the pain meds. Much to my surprise, I did NOT get a call back. I don't know what to think about that. But, he now knows I want to stop taking them. My appointment is not until the 25th of this month, however, I've been out of my own script for over a week now. I have gone in three times early. However, they have been for legitimate reasons, like my tooth getting a huge hole in it (like big enough for the toothfairy to take naps in it that's how big the hole is) and I fell trying to pick up my 130lb disable son. It was never my idea to give me an early script...always the Dr's. I didn't go in asking for one either. Only went in because I had fallen and because of severe tooth pain. (the hole is open thru the entire bottom of the tooth...like a little tooth cave, lol).
    Last month he said he could not fill me early, which I had no problem with, nor, again, had I asked for an early script. My disabled son and I fell in the driveway one afternoon trying to get out of the car. That was why I went in early...I was really hurt. Anyway, I went back on my scheduled day and got my refill. I had gone through withdrawlas for 8 days before getting the script and not having any power not to just take them. This time feels different...because I made it to day three just the other day, I don't feel so ancy lowering my daily dosage so far. I do have leg, back, and calf pain, but the ibuprofen has knocked that out. The mental is a bit different. I carry a lot of guilt for taking that 5mg on day three. But, I'm not going to look back. And because I already made that initial call to my Dr. so it won't be a big surprise to him when I come in, that I want to quit.
    I have a total of 11 5mg left. I cut my dosage for today down to only getting 20 mg. I believe after they are gone, I should just go through the withdrawals. **WILL THEY BE AS BAD AS WHEN I JUMPED FROM 100mg DOWN TO NOTHING**??? **DURATION OF 5-7 DAYS STILL THE SAME??**
    I need your expertise here, Cat. I've been through withdrawals too many times in the last 2 years. My body wants no more of it. It's exhausting both mentally and physically.
    Please believe me when I say....it's VERY hard to offend me or for me to think anyone is being mean. I more than appreciate your advice. More than you'll ever know.
    Yes, I'm ready. So much so that I'm starting NA/AA tomorrow morning at 930 with a friend. She's already in the program 4 years clean now. I've also come clean with my daughter, who is old enough now to know when her Momma is "sick", my long time and live in boyfriend, my Mom, and my sister. My family support is off the charts. I'm very blessed.

Thank you for replying Cat. I've been on this Forum before and you are always amazing. For that, I thank you.

Thoughts? Questions? Advice?

J.A.R.L.

You do sound ready so good for you. You've spoken with people about your problem and you even have a friend who will totally understand what you're going through. Make sure you get to that meeting! While you're in a strong enough mindset, can you call your doctor and cancel your next PM appointment? Tell them that you are stopping and ask if he/she will prescribe some clonidine to make things a little easier for you. That will help with the anxiety.

You have only just recently dropped from 100 to where you're at now. I bet you feel like poo. That's a huge drop. My honest opinion is that you are prolonging things at this point. For the next couple of days if you take 20mg/day it's not apt to help that much and will just delay things. I can tell you what I did. I too only had a couple of days worth left and after a day of a much reduced dose, I got 3 xanex from a friend and a box of Immodium and then got rid of the pills I had left.

It's important that you shut the doors where you are getting your pills and it starts with your doctor. Whomever else you get them from, delete their numbers and stay away from them. Change your phone number if you have to. Whatever it takes. Not only during detox but for the first few weeks after, that temptation is great and will play with you. It's a temptation that you don't want or need.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 and jarl like this.

Hi again...

I am ready to go. I'll be at that meeting tomorrow. I am the driver, lol. But I'm just being silly when I say that. I'll be there because that's where I need to be. My boyfriend, of 4 years, while supportive...he's not very interested in how I'm doing. Hasn't asked. I think it's more of an out of sight, out of mind deal. "Yes, NA sounds great for you hunny, you should do that." But has never asked another question about it. But, that's him. And I accept him for how he is.
    I have some Clonidine from an old script. Should I be taking it now? Or should I ask my Dr's office for an early appt to talk to him and get a current script for the Clonidine? I also have Gabapentin 800mg that I'm prescribed but only take when I run out of meds. I just bought a box of Immodium AD. How do I take that exactly. I've read of people taking 8 2mg pills at a time?? Please tell me what to do with the meds I have (clonidine, gabapentin, Immodium AD)
    The temptation is the exact reason I'm excited to start NA/AA tomorrow. That's the hardest part...the cravings.

Thank you again for writing back. Just knowing there's someone out there who has been where I am and is wiling to talk to me...well, it means more to me than I can write down.

angie (jarl)

Hi Angie!

You do sound ready. YAY!! You have everything you need for now. How much clonidine do you have? Use them but be careful with them. They are a high blood pressure med that might make you lightheaded. Just be aware of that. It's used off label for anxiety related to detox.

The Gaba, in my opinion, will be your best friend! It does help with the restless leg. I've had it off an on over the years for nerve pain related to my back but I was also prescribed it many years ago for occasional RLS and it helps quite a bit.

The Immodium. Yes, I'm sure you've read where people have taken handfuls of those and say it helps with symptoms. I have also read (and it was news to me!) that there are people who become addicted to them. I used them exactly how the package instructs. Take 2 with the first "event" and 1 after each additional "event". It mostly took care of things but really, it was more of an inconvenience than anything. The least of the symptoms for sure.

Get some Sleepy Time Tea and some Melatonin. Both inexpensive and over the counter. Some folks claim those induce sleep. They didn't for me, but they did help to relax me. Take the Melatonin as directed on the package. The first time I took it I only took 1 and it relaxed me a bit but didn't make me sleep. Being the addict minded being that I am, the next night I took 2. It still didn't make me sleep and I didn't like the way it made me feel. So--lesson learned. I'll take a bit of just being relaxed.

Be sure to drink plenty to stay hydrated. It's easy to become dehydrated with the frequent bathroom trips. Get some easy to prepare things to eat. Healthy things. Fresh fruit, cheese and crackers is a good choice too. Things that you don't have to prepare but you can grab and eat. It will help you keep your strength up. You'll feel weak as it is, so you don't need to add to that by not eating well. I learned from a lot of people here too that protein shakes/smoothies (use a Ninja or blender) helped a lot. That was lonnngggg after I was past detox but I now try to have them every morning for breakfast. I use almond milk, frozen fruit (only like native fruit and it's not available yet!), a tablespoon of local honey, 1/2 banana and two scoops of natural protein powder. You can even put ice cubes into the blender to make a frozen smoothie. It's filling and tasty and just good for you. If you need to live on that, you could do worse.

Keep updating. I'm very excited for you.

Peace,

Cat
    jarl likes this.

Hiya!

So it looks like I have about 20 clonidine. I can't take too much of it cause it does make me lightheaded. But 4 times a day is what I used just this last time. I also take Ambien (new script ready Tuesday) and Trazadone for sleep (have 3 bottles of it). I have bad nightmares. A little tiny background...my son, when he was just 8 weeks old, was violently shaken by his father who I was married to at the time. That is why my son, who is now 12, is disabled and I still lift him since he will not use his legs. That is also why I have both sleep medications. Ambien to help fall asleep, Trazadone to help stay asleep. I do not abuse either. I'm hoping they both help with the sleep insomnia. I also have unlimited access to weed, but I'm not sure I want to go that route since it just makes feel in more of a fog during withdrawals.
    I have a gym membership. Thought about going in the mornings after I take my oldest to school...just to get some exercise. I suppose that will have to wait til I see how I feel.
    In your honest opinion...since I've cut back so much and so quickly, do you think the withdrawals will be the same and same duration or will they be lighter and shorter?
    I forgot to mention, I am on Zoloft and have been since my son was injured. I know that helps with the depression.
    It will be a while until my Xanax script is ready for a refill...unfortunately. I usually have three refills but this month I will have to get a new script from my PCP/Pain Dr. IF I even decide to get it again. I have zero problems taking it or leaving it. It's never been my DOC.
    I have the Lap Band so smoothies with protein powder is a staple for me. I use almond milk with sugar free chocolate syrup and a teeny bit of ice. OR my daughter and I will make fruit smoothies using the unflavored protein powder. It's a protein powder directly from my Lap Band Dr's office so I know it's got some good stuff in it.
    I'm so thankful to have met you. You're support and encouragement is so appreciated.

So my questions to you...
    1. Because of my taper so far...do you think the w/d will be as bad?
    2. What should I expect? (the same ol same ols?)
    3. Do you think the duration of 5-7 days will be the same?

angie (jarl)

I just lost my entire post! GRRRR

I just scanned through all your posts. Can you make this clear to me? You were on as much as 100mg/day and jumped cold turkey around 8 days ago, caved on day 3 with 5mg but have been taking around 25mg since then?

If this is so, your symptoms may not be as bad this time. This is exactly what we mean when we say we get into our own heads. There really is no sense fretting about what's to come. You'll only drive yourself nuts watching for each symptom and assessing how you're feeling. There is just no way around this but right through it.

Glad you have your real life friend. She can support you and pull you off the ledge if you find yourself hanging there. Take it as it comes. You have some meds that will help. A week from now, you're going to be a different person and entering your recovery phase. Take this detox in tiny increments. Don't watch the clock and try to stay busy.

Peace,

Cat

Hi!

So I should have made this times w/d more clear. On last Wednesday (5.11) I went from 100mg to nothing. Was trying to go CT, but on Day 3 I caved and took 5mg of Percocet. Since taking the Percocet on day three, I've only allowed myself 25mg daily. (Taking 5mg throughout the day) Today I'm only allowing 20mg throughout the entire day. I still have 10 5mg left. Did that help more?
    You're SO right about getting in our own heads! I don't know why I'm so obsessed with it. Maybe cause I'm terrified of the mental pain and lethargy that comes with it.
    My addiction has ruined my relationship. That's one of my biggest, next to being pill free, that I want this so badly.
    I can't wait to start being that different person...the one I know is in me just waiting to come back. I truly miss her.

Love,
    Angie (jarl)
    Catrina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jarl View Post
    Hi!

So I should have made this times w/d more clear. On last Wednesday (5.11) I went from 100mg to nothing. Was trying to go CT, but on Day 3 I caved and took 5mg of Percocet. Since taking the Percocet on day three, I've only allowed myself 25mg daily. (Taking 5mg throughout the day) Today I'm only allowing 20mg throughout the entire day. I still have 10 5mg left. Did that help more?
    You're SO right about getting in our own heads! I don't know why I'm so obsessed with it. Maybe cause I'm terrified of the mental pain and lethargy that comes with it.
    My addiction has ruined my relationship. That's one of my biggest, next to being pill free, that I want this so badly.
    I can't wait to start being that different person...the one I know is in me just waiting to come back. I truly miss her.

Love,
    Angie (jarl)
    Ok, Got it. How are you feeling now? Probably not so great. It's entirely up to you at this point what you want to do moving forward. At this rate, you've got enough for today and tomorrow at 20-25/mg day? So the real scenario is that you will have tapered from 100 to 20 in one week. Not fun. UGH.

What I might suggest you do would depend upon how you're feeling today. If are getting most of the symptoms, I'd say flush what you have and get on with it. If what you're taking is keeping you out of withdrawals, then it's up to you to use what you have left. Just keep in mind that you are probably just delaying things. Your journey. Either way, it's almost time.

Peace,

Cat

Good morning!

I just woke up...an hour and a half early...to terribly RLS. I took a 5 mg. I didn't take any Gabapentin yesterday. Should I start taking it? Today I'm just going to go as long as my body allows without taking any of the ones I have left. I have enough left for today, depending on my body. Whatever isn't used today, I will flush in the morning. (Not to exceed 20 mg today.)
    What would you suggest I do about the clonidine and Gabapentin today?

Much love,
    angie

The Gaba might help your rls. If these symptoms persist today, you really may as well be done. You'll be miserable and you won't have begun your complete detox. The clonidine will help with anxiety and sleep. Try to hold off on that until you stop the opiate.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Peace,

Cat

I'm extremely irritable this morning. I just called my Dr's office and he can see me Wednesday. I, again, explained that I need to be seen to get off my pain meds. I want for him to know that I don't want any more prescribed to me. Cutting that tie will help.
    I find that I'm very angry at myself each passing day because I know I could be done with the physical withdrawals by now. I let myself down...badly!!
    I will take a Gabapentin right now (since it takes an hour to kick in). Maybe I'll be able to sleep while the kids are at school.
    Is there anything he CAN prescribe for pain that does not have this horrible outcome?

angie
    jarl

Sorry you're having a tough day. Irritability is a part of this, unfortunately. You should ask him about something for pain that is non-addictive. There are things I just don't know what he would recommend for your specific issues.

Good luck. Hope the day passes quickly for you.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat...

You are a Godsend. I hope you know that.

So I think I will ask him about anything non addictive on Wednesday. My issues are Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, and bulging L4/5. (Been getting epidural injections for the bulging L4/5)
    The problem is that the only way to help my back is to stop lifting my 130lb disabled son. We both know that's not the way mothers work.
    The Gabapentin has helped tremendously with the overall restlessness of my mind and body.
    I'm just exhausted trying to get through this. I feel like each time I try to quit, I age. I just don't bounce back like I used to...and I just turned 40.
    I want this demon out of my life.

angie
    (jarl)
    Catrina likes this.

Hi Cat...

You are a Godsend. I hope you know that.

So I think I will ask him about anything non addictive on Wednesday. My issues are Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, and bulging L4/5. (Been getting epidural injections for the bulging L4/5)
    The problem is that the only way to help my back is to stop lifting my 130lb disabled son. We both know that's not the way mothers work.
    The Gabapentin has helped tremendously with the overall restlessness of my mind and body.
    I'm just exhausted trying to get through this. I feel like each time I try to quit, I age. I just don't bounce back like I used to...and I just turned 40.
    I want this demon out of my life.

angie
    (jarl)
    Aha. Pretty much the same diagnosis as me but I'm 62. I finally quit over 6 years ago and the over the counter and non-addictive things work much, much better now than any opiate ever did (except perhaps at the very beginning). And you are right! Each time I swear quitting that chit takes 10 years off our lives. So by that math, I'm around 200 years old.

I finally had surgery on my back this past February. Took care of the sciatica but other than anti-inflammatory stuff, not much to do about the arthritis in my back. I've got DDD too but I don't have a 130 lb son to try to lift. ( I'm sorry. I stay pretty active and I think that helps me. I have my grandkids much of the time so I'm raising my second family. That's fun! NOT. I adore them but I work two jobs and I'm no spring chicken. Do you know that they want to eat everyday? True dat. Sometimes twice a day and three times a day on the weekends. What's that all about? I need a cook.

Hang in there. You've got this!

Peace,

Cat

Bahahaha...you and I have the same sense of humor! I say that same thing about them wanting to eat. I commend you for raising/help raise your grandchildren. It's a lot of work. My monsters are now 14 and 12. They are my everything and my reason each day.
    I remember how well the regular ol ibuprofen worked when I quit for 9 months. I want that back. No...I'm getting that back!!
    Is there nothing to can be done for DDD? I don't know all that much about it. Chicken>>>> to look it up.
    I'm thinking of cutting my 800mg Gabapentin in half so I don't get the twitches it gives me after a couple doses. Thoughts?

Bahahaha...you and I have the same sense of humor! I say that same thing about them wanting to eat. I commend you for raising/help raise your grandchildren. It's a lot of work. My monsters are now 14 and 12. They are my everything and my reason each day.
    I remember how well the regular ol ibuprofen worked when I quit for 9 months. I want that back. No...I'm getting that back!!
    Is there nothing to can be done for DDD? I don't know all that much about it. Chicken>>>> to look it up.
    I'm thinking of cutting my 800mg Gabapentin in half so I don't get the twitches it gives me after a couple doses. Thoughts?
    800mg is a lot. Mine are 100mg doses and are capsules. Ya know, I never looked closely enough at them to see if they can be opened and I'm out of them right now. My new script sitting at the pharmacy. Anyway, if you can divide them, YES try a much lower dose during the day. My primary always prescribed 100mg 3 times a day. My surgeon told me that because it's at night when things get dicey and interrupt my sleep to take 300 or 400 mg at bedtime. I might suggest that for you too. How much is prescribed for you per day? Just don't exceed that and try to keep a heavier dose for bedtime so that the kicking might subside some when you REALLY want it to.

Peace,

Cat

OH. To my knowledge, there's not a lot to be done about DDD. Take a good calcium tablet with vitamin D (helps absorption) to help to keep your bones strong. Then pray.

Peace,

Cat

I've had the capsules before. The current ones I have are big white pills with a nice open score down the middle. I do think it's too heavy for the daytime. I just woke up from a little nap. I'm only prescribed one at bedtime. Could be why if I take three in a day I twitch so much I can't hold my phone, hahaha. Cutting one to take now.

Love
    angie

So I did not successfully make it out of withdrawals last month. But here I am...again...finding myself deeply depressed because of my lack of willpower.
    I went to my Dr today. I explained how awful I feel and I was crying. I asked him to please start me on a taper. He said he won't start a taper until it's time for my med refill on the 22nd. I don't understand why he doesn't want to help me. He said I should talk to a therapist...even after I explained that I see a therapist for my depression. It's like he wasn't listening. He called it "crisis control".
    I'm so ashamed of myself. The depression of trying to quit, again, is overwhelming.
    I really like the support this forum provides and I thought I would write an update.
    I'm sick of being sick!!
    Stell76 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there..
    Did you need the dr to refill your prescription for you to start your taper?
    If so and it is early for your refill that is why..

Some Drs won't taper their patients..
    It's crazy
    I know..
    Take care
    Bette
    Stell76 likes this.

Stell76 is offline Junior Member

Hi Jarl
    Can you tell me if you are out of pills again ?
    Or do you just want to taper now this second...
    My Doc is the same
    It has hard to work out exactly where you are ?
    Maybe I could help if I knew how many pills or not you have left
    I see my doc too on the 22nd....
    And mine is not keen for me to taper either
    Listen you know how much support you got last time you tried...PLEASE try not to feel bad and beat yourself up over this
    I promise you....you are doing a good job...you sound like you really want out
    This is doing much better than me
    Perhaps we can help each other
    Love Stell

Hi Stell...
    Yes, I'm out of my script but even when I had my script the strong desire to get off this ride was still in my head. I don't just want to quit when I run out. I always want to quit.
    I have 15 5/325 Percocet left.
    Thanks Stell for your reply.

You are most welcome Jarl
    Let me see you have 15 perk left is that right with 13 days to go or in youre case 14 days until you see youre doctor
    I know you want to do something right this second but you like me will have to wait to see Dr...you have no choice
    Please be sensible and dont flush your pills at the moment
    If you can break them in half...with a half dose morning and night
    You might not be well but you will get through until you can see youre doc or maybe another doc
    I am in the same position...on a very low dose until the 22nd
    Now listen what either of us do after that ...tapper or not or maybe try subexone taper who knows but you have those 2 weeks to get through...
    Other than ditching what you have and going cold turkey...you will have to be strong and make those pills count or more importantly last ...please please do this
    The reason it did not work last time is because you went into full WD too quickly...no time for youre body or mind to adjust
    Why dont you get through this see yr doc get script re filled and look towards getting a new Doc...esp as this one wont seem to help you
    Please let us know what you decide and please space those pills you have left
    Just know I feel youre pain...you have not had it easy with youre son...best to think of your wellbeing and that of your kids just for the next few weeks...be strong and let me know what you decide ...it must be late at night go get some rest Love Stell

Awwww Ang,

I'm so sorry that you've found yourself right back here. I don't know that your doctor isn't willing to help you taper. Here's what he's seen in the past couple of months. Last month, the desperate plea for an early script to help you taper but he wouldn't give you an early refill. Now here you are again. Not a criticism. I've been you and was for years! Doctors, and most especially those who do pain management know every story in the book. I KNOW you want off. These doctors become jaded by having to deal with us addicts who seem to always be in some crisis.

Tapering never, ever worked for me. I tried. Over and over and I'd end up in the same spot as you. Got my script! YAY. This month I'm only going to take as directed. For about the first 4 hrs and I'd be right back to that one or two or three extra that day leaving me running on empty 2 weeks before my refill. And the distress doesn't start there. It's actually before that. We're counters we are. Not so much about how many we've taken, it's all about how many we have left. Watching that bottle getting lower and lower creating more anxiety hence, needing an extra pill. Like trying to find the opening of that circle to get out.

We all have to do this our own way. I just see so many similarities between us and unfortunately know the thought process. There just isn't an easy way to get this done. Believe me. I've tried.

Keep your chin up.

Peace,

Cat
    Stell76 and Iluv2smile like this.

I agree with you Cat...
    And please dont think I am encouraging Angie to take pills
    I just know as do you how it is
    She can make it through with what she has left
    What do you suggest...
    I dont mean to come in as a newbie...needing help myself and upset the apple cart
    She either makes the 15 pills last til next re fill or she ditches pills or she uses all pills and goes cold turkey
    Next time she sees her Dr and he wont taper...what then ?
    Would it be best to see a suboxen Dr and tapper off them ?
    Dear Angie...not meaning to talk behind your back but these are questions I am asking Cat but ones you also need to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Stell76 View Post
    I agree with you Cat...
    And please dont think I am encouraging Angie to take pills
    I just know as do you how it is
    She can make it through with what she has left
    What do you suggest...
    I dont mean to come in as a newbie...needing help myself and upset the apple cart
    She either makes the 15 pills last til next re fill or she ditches pills or she uses all pills and goes cold turkey
    Next time she sees her Dr and he wont taper...what then ?
    Would it be best to see a suboxen Dr and tapper off them ?
    Dear Angie...not meaning to talk behind your back but these are questions I am asking Cat but ones you also need to look at
    This is going to be Ang's decision. Here's what I see happening and it's from experience. If you go into the doctor and discuss tapering, he'll refill your script but with fewer pills. This could very well bite you in the butt. Tapering is torturous leaving you in some state of withdrawal the entire time and that's exactly what will send us for that extra pill. But...if you want to give that another whirl we'll be behind you.

Option 2. Either finish off what you have left, it's only a couple of days worth and just do it or get rid of them and begin today. I vote for getting rid of them. It's symbolic and you can begin to mourn the loss of your best friend. Healing only begins after you mourn. You'll have the worst of the physical stuff behind you by the time of your next appointment. If you are ready to get this done, the first thing you need to do is call and cancel your next PM appointment. I know. Scary as all h*ll but as long as that door remains open, there's always the danger of stepping through it. YOU have to make it more difficult to find pills.

I jumped cold turkey from about twice what you were taking at your highest. Was it fun? Definitely not! But it's doable so long as you're ready. The mental and physical anguish you are putting yourself through gets to a point that it's just not worth it. Being able to tell your doctor, thanks but no thanks is called freedom. Just knowing you can begin to live without the counting and without being at the mercy of a pill or the guy who prescribes it. That in itself is a huge burden to put down but only when you remove that option. I'd remember pacing, what excuse can I use? Do I go to the ER again because my back has kicked up? Where can I get something to get me thru. Bah! Talk about anxiety.

Subs? NO. Your dose isn't high enough to open that can of worms. They should only be used as an absolute last resort. They are an awesome tool but expensive and right back to tapering. If nothing else works, then maybe consider those. Just not yet. You haven't given yourself enough time to do it the good old fashion way.

Pick your path. We'll support you no matter what.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-09-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Stell76 likes this.

Good morning!

Thanks for the replies. Makes for a nice wake up pep talk.
    Last month I never went in early, I cancelled that appointment so when I did see him last month, we never talked about tapering. So yesterday was the first time I had brought it up to him.
    To be honest, I feel very hopeless these days. I don't know why I'm so scared to make that final jump. But I'm just torturing myself by continuing on this way. I'm beyond miserable. And I feel lost.

Angie

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

It is so scarey..

I would be concerned if you didn't feel exactly like you do!

But you can get through it..
    We have been there ..
    I know that sounds cliche but it gets old feeling like that..
    And honestly you just have to be
    Sick and tired
    Of
    Being sick and tired..

I promise you my worst day clean
    Is
    Better than my best day
    Dependant..

There is no way around it..

I could never taper
    Anything
    But
    The suboxone taper on here..

God knows I tried..

it is too tempting for the nature
    this pull on the brain..

Opiates changes our brain chemistry..
    Even when people take them as prescribed it changes the chemicals in the brain..

It really is not your fault
    Most of the time not even your choice..

But getting clean
    Is your choice.

It gives you back your power.
    Your power to make your choices..

Your power
    To
    Change
    Your
    Life!

It is sad
    You will have
    To mourn..
    These pills become
    Our
    Go
    To
    For
    Everything!

Our best friend!

Hel ya
    It is sad!

But 3-5 days you will be done!

This will be a distant memory..
    I promise you the fear in your mind
    Is
    A million times
    Worst than
    The
    Experience!
    We will be here
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    Catrina and Stell76 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast