Bad oxycodone/contin problem-I need HELP!
    movieman is offline New Member

Default Bad oxycodone/contin problem-I need HELP!

About 12 years ago, I discovered I had restless leg syndrome. This was when it was just being identified as a real medical problem. I am HIV+ so I couldn't take the medicines that worked for RLS (Restless legs syndrome) because they interfered with my HIV drugs, and still would. Then I discovered that percocet took away the restless leg syndrome (and it does). For 11 years I took one oxycontin 10mg during the day and 10mg at night and a few percocet during the day (2 x 5mg) and that pretty much controlled my restless leg, but I realize now how it affected my life, very moody, no ambitions, didn't want to do anything at all except sit around.

During this time, around 5 years ago, I had my hips replaced because of avascular necrosis. During the surgery recovery times my percocet/oxy dose increased and I took ALOT (maybe 50-60mg oxycontin during the day, 10mg at night and 4-7 percocets a day). That was for the first month after surgery for each hip. I don't remember how but I then went back to my normal dose of 10mg morning and 10mg night of oxycontin and 1-3 percocets during the day. But I noticed I kept having more pain in my joints and was not feeling well so I increased my percocet to 5-8 (5mg) during the day (trhis was the last 7-10 months).

A few years after I had my hips done, I got a letter saying they were both being recalled due to leaking metal ions and defects (you have probably seen the ads on TV about the bad hips, well I got two of them). I procrastinated for a few years and this year on September 2 I had my first hip replaced. Probably because I was so used to the painkillers, the pain was horrible, so again, I took 50-70mg of oxycontin during the day and maybe 6-10 (5mg) percocets, this has been since surgery September 2. My HIV doctor has prescribed me 220 percocets a month and 112 oxycontin. So I went through alot of my "supply" that I had saved up, and just got my new prescription and now those are it, no more back-ups, and I know that those are not enough to sustain what I have been taking.

I really want to get off of these, but I have to have another hip done. I am terrified of what is to come. The pain from having hip revision surgery, where they replace a bad >>>> hip, is worse than the original surgery, or maybe it isn't it's just that it is taking much more percocet for me now. How can I go through the 2nd surgery if I quit now? My HIV doctor thinks I have been taking all of the prescribed medicine over this time, but I was just saving the extras, but now they are gone. On top of all this, aside from the HIV (which is well controlled right now), I have become obese from stress in my home (I Live with my parents, my brother and his son and daughter-and his children, 23 and 28 are vicious terrible people, she is a recovering addict who has stolen pills from me and my mother andf his son hates me and has turned my brother against me so we have not talked in 3 years and live in the same home), got diabetes and am taking shots, and am starting to have avascular necrosis in my knees now. They are not bad enough to need surgery now but the surgeon said they won't get any better and with my weight (5'6" 260 pounds, I am a male) will, probably eventually collapse. I don';t have enough money to move from this nightmare of a home I am living in.

I don't know what to do next. Do I quit the percocets now or go in for detox so I can be monitored (which my doctor once told me I should do if I quit), or wait until the 2nd hip surgery is done? But then comes the question of eventually having to do my knees. How will I manage the pain from those surgeries if I detox now? Is it worth going through the detox process if I am having more surgeries.

I am very depressed, and take Lexapro for it. I still have severe restless leg syndome, where if I miss taking my regular dose of percocet, I get terrible RLS, and I have it in both my arms near the elbow and the legs near the knee and can't stop moving, it's horror. Now I find out that detox from percocet CAUSES restless leg, the very thing I started taking the medicine for.

I would welcome any comments. I am going to try and stay with this thread often and make a commitment to it, and strongly take into consideration everything that is said. I value your feedback. I think I should also make an appointment with my HIV doctor who prescribes these and tell him the entire situation, but of course that is scary because right now that is my source for the pills. I still have pain from my hip, but I am sure that some of it is from taking so many pills I have become immune and it is taking so many more to get rid of the pain.

I may have left out some minor details and if they come to me I will post them.;

Thank you.

I forgot to mention, I am not new to addiction, I am 52 and have been through treatments since high school, for marijuana the first 4 times and the last time was from cocaine. I haven't gone near that since 1999, but guess this one snuck up on me.

The Husband is offline Member

I would suggest tapering once your done with your second hip surgery. What is your total daily dose and how long have you been on opiates?

My cousin just died recently of an overdose he was in and out of rehab since he was in high school. We haven't been given all the details but apparently he OD from prescription drugs in his new york apartment and wasn't found for 3 weeks super sad still wonder who found him... he was only 27.

SickinSeattle is offline New Member

Hey - this is my first post so hopefully I don't say anything wrong. I've been reading for awhile. I am taking all your concerns into consideration. The optimal way to handle it would be to talk to your doctor honestly and tell him honestly that you are addicted. If not - I know the person above me suggested waiting until after the second hip replacement - I suggest now before the surgery. Your anesthesiologist needs to know and your surgeon - if not, your pain is not going to be adequately controlled.
    You can do this - you have online support. Figure out a plan here with the folks. You do have an extensive medical hx which makes thing a bit more difficult. I would suggest seriously looking at where you are - try and get moving and motivated... You can do this, everyday is a choice. One more day in hell or one more day closer to the life you want. You choose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Husband View Post
    I would suggest tapering once your done with your second hip surgery. What is your total daily dose and how long have you been on opiates?

My cousin just died recently of an overdose he was in and out of rehab since he was in high school. We haven't been given all the details but apparently he OD from prescription drugs in his new york apartment and wasn't found for 3 weeks super sad still wonder who found him... he was only 27.

I am so sorry to hear of your cousin. That is indeed a very sad story and my sympathies go out to you and your family.

I have been on opiates since about 2001 or 2002. As I said in my post, for the first ten years or eleven, I just took 10mg of oxycontin in the morning and 10mg at night to control the Restless Leg Syndrome because the medicines for RLS (Mirapex and I can't remember the other one) interfere with the HIV medicines that I take.

My daily dose before surgery got to 10mg of oxycontin in the morning and 10mg at night, and then 1-3 percocets two or three times a day (5mg strength). My pain was much worse from the surgery when I took the same amount, so after surgery on September 2, I have been taking 50-60mg of oxycontin in the morning, 10mg at night, and about 4-5 percocets during the day. I even snuck my extra "supply" into the hospital and was taking about 30mg of oxycontin a day above what they were giving me which was only 10mg.

Starting today I went down to 3 oxycontin (10mg) in the morning and one at night and am going to try and keep the percocets to a minimum and at least try to reduce the doses until I talk to my doctor. I have healed partially now from the hip replacement, so I don't need that many. I figure the pain is going to be worse because my body is used to getting rid of the pain with high doses, so I am going to try and rest more and not use my hip as much as I have been. I probably did too much because I was really getting rid of most of the pain with those high doses.

Quote Originally Posted by SickinSeattle View Post
    Hey - this is my first post so hopefully I don't say anything wrong. I've been reading for awhile. I am taking all your concerns into consideration. The optimal way to handle it would be to talk to your doctor honestly and tell him honestly that you are addicted. If not - I know the person above me suggested waiting until after the second hip replacement - I suggest now before the surgery. Your anesthesiologist needs to know and your surgeon - if not, your pain is not going to be adequately controlled.
    You can do this - you have online support. Figure out a plan here with the folks. You do have an extensive medical hx which makes thing a bit more difficult. I would suggest seriously looking at where you are - try and get moving and motivated... You can do this, everyday is a choice. One more day in hell or one more day closer to the life you want. You choose.
    I agree with you completely, my only issue is that I have to have the other hip replaced on November 19 and my concern is the pain I am going to have.