Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Randy35
Been on Suboxone/benzos for 10+ years n need advice on how to quit safe
    riffe is offline New Member

Default Been on Suboxone/benzos for 10+ years n need advice on how to quit safe

I've been on 2 8mg strips daily since 2007 and xanax for 15 years and I'm so tired of being depended on.something everyday to get thru life and I wanna enjoy my 30s and enjoy being a father to my son while he's still young does.anyone have any healthy,helpful advice how I can overcome this demon of addiction so I can be productive and no miss work and not make it obvious to my son that I am not myself. I know I have to deal with lack of energy and withdrawal symptoms but.I've had my share if both in my past but are they something I can take to help and not be addictive??

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by riffe View Post
    I've been on 2 8mg strips daily since 2007 and xanax for 15 years and I'm so tired of being depended on.something everyday to get thru life and I wanna enjoy my 30s and enjoy being a father to my son while he's still young does.anyone have any healthy,helpful advice how I can overcome this demon of addiction so I can be productive and no miss work and not make it obvious to my son that I am not myself. I know I have to deal with lack of energy and withdrawal symptoms but.I've had my share if both in my past but are they something I can take to help and not be addictive??

Hello, Riffe. Welcome to the forum.

I promise you can change your life. You have to really want it more than anything else. And you have to make a plan and stick with it. I have to tell you that no matter what anyone has told you that you are on way too much sub. Entirely too much. There is absolutely no one that requires 16mg of sub a day. That's a cold hard fact. The good news is that we can get your dose down. You'll taper off using the tapering plan that has produced success stories out of thousands of members. Count me as one of them. I spent nearly 18 years abusing every drug on the planet, went on methadone, switched to subs, tapered the subs rather painlessly, and now going on 3 years clean. And yes you can do it too!

The first thing I suggest you do is to reduce your sub dose down to 8mg per day. I guarantee you will not feel the difference. And if you do it's purely your head messing with you. I would split that 8mg and take 4mg in the am and 4mg around 8-10 hours later. Take your doses at the same times everyday. You will be spending at least 4 days on that dose before reducing further. You only reduce if stable on the current dose. After you get started you will be reducing each dose by 25% every 4-7 days, or whatever it takes. It's no race and all you need do is finish.

You'll reduce all the way to .25mg and then decisions can be made on how to completely finish your taper. If you follow this plan you'll be off in a timely manner with very few, if any symptoms. This plan flat out works!!

The Xanax is a different story. Never, ever stop any benzo cold turkey as that can be very dangerous. Benzo's need to be tapered very, very slowly. For now I would worry about the subs and then the benzo. Assuming you want off the Xanax?

Let me know what you think. I'll be happy to help you through the taper process.

Randy
    Iluv2smile and Catrina like this.

Ben39 is offline Junior Member

Hi Randy. Slightly and quickly off the topic. Isn't it harder to wean off sub or methadone than oxy?

zebra1961 is offline Member

Default riffe

when your ready to quit look up the Thomas recipe and use it when you quit,you do need to look up the Roberts plan for tapering down on the subs before you quit. 16mgs a day is a very high dose,that amount is only used when someone is quitting some other drug that they are on a high dosage,and it would only be that high for a very short time then tapering down quickly!!! I was on them 2-1/2 years,started at 16 tapered to 8 in a week then stayed at 4-6 the rest of the time and that was too much!!! I could have got by on.5 to 2 mgs a day. To top it off you should only be on these 2 weeks not years!!! have A doctor help with a plan for tapering and some meds to help with withdrawals. the lower you taper the milder the withdrawals,I jumped at 6mgs DONT DO THAT VERY DIFFICULT taper down to almost nothing then jump.you should quit one drug first,not two at the same time see your dr to help with that.I am very happy to hear you are ready to quit and let your son see the real YOU!! dont wait i am still upset with myself for not quitting a lot sooner, and the longer and higher amount of subs you are on the longer it takes your body to get back to normal.I dont know of a easy way to get thru quitting and withdrawals but it can be done no doubt. Dont rush slow and steady wins!! read thru others post they really helped me when i quit, ask questions lots of good people who have been thru it and have good first hand advice and tips.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ben39 View Post
    Hi Randy. Slightly and quickly off the topic. Isn't it harder to wean off sub or methadone than oxy?

Hi Ben -

It's generally much easier to taper off subs than it is methadone or oxy, or any other opiate. Why...because methadone and oxy (and others) are all full-agonist drugs and they can and will produce a high and euphoria. As you taper any of those meds you're basically in a state of wd's the entire time. And it's very easy to take an "extra" dose when tapering to get you out of those wd's. Thus much more difficultlt to taper.

Now sub on the other hand is a partial-agonist drug. You're not gonna get high or experience any euphoria while tapering subs, which makes them much easier to taper. Some people do report they're feeling high on subs, but I suspect it's no more than a slight energy boost when a new comer has first inducted after being in a state of wd's waiting to induct. And that doesn't happen very often, it at all. I was on subs for about 9 months and I NEVER experienced any kind of high or euphoria while taking them. I know many, many people personally that are taking subs right now and none of them has ever reported feeling high.

Subs aren't for everyone. They should be the last choice made when getting clean is the goal. CT and tapering should be attempted first, several times in fact. If that's just not going to happen then subs may be the right choice. I know they were for me. My attempts at tapering and CT were always miserable failures. I researched the subs endlessly before trying them. Turned out to be the best decision to start sub therapy. For me.

Hope this helps.

Randy