Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree58Likes
Beginning 100 mg Vicodin taper
    Hartty36 is offline Junior Member

Congratulations to you as well EZ. I'm very curious what your DR/Pysc has to say about underlying conditions. I have posted this before but now am asking if anyone has any experience or thoughts on Zoloft or other anxiety/depression medications at this stage of my recovery.

I was on Zoloft for approximately 1 year while also using opiates and it seemed to help my anxiety/mood but it was so hard to tell with the opiates getting me through day after day.

Although it is yet not easy and cravings are certainly still there I truly feel as though I am going to win this fight. One thing that I have been noticing a lot more recently is that my mood is ranging from one extreme to the other and anxiety has been through the roof. I had it in my head that if I could be done with the opiates then the rest of my mental chemistry will straighten itself out. Keep in mind that I have not taken anything for approximately 4 months now and would like anyone's advice/experience for this sort of thing. Should I be patient and let me body continue to adjust? Should I try the Zoloft for a few weeks and see what happens?

Any thoughts or ideas?

ezjcisdone is offline New Member

I have all the exact problems as you. I was not on anything else while on the hydrocodone, but I always had issues off and on with anxiety and depression. I am still having issues sleeping at night and I am sure that is effecting me. My appointment is the 16th and I plan on going over everything with him. I have a difficult time getting the day started, don't have much enthusiasm etc..I am approaching day 60 with no Hydrocodone. I still have pain, but try to manage it with Naproxen or Ibuprofen. There are many good things being off the pain medicine, but it is still difficult for me to say that life is better than it was before. There are pros and cons. I still believe I have an underlying condition that is causing these problems. I was not on that much Hydrocodone and was only on it for 2 years, so based on all the information out there I should be further along. I also believe the Hydrocodone was masking the problem and that was why I did not feel or notice it, or the hydrocodone caused this problem. I plan on explaining all of this to the psychiatrist on the 16th and then I have an appointment with my primary doctor on the 17th and will do the same with him. I am sure they will try to put me on something and then will have to research that to make sure it won't cause me a whole other bunch of problems. I don't have issues taking medicine for legit problems, but I do not want to be taking hydrocodone for the wrong reasons. This is so frustrating.. I keep asking myself "when did I break?" I use to be happy. I use to be able to sit down and watch TV all day or play games etc and have a good time, but now everything still seems to be pointless. I am not as bad as the first month without the hydrocodone, but it is still there. I will let you know how I make out. I will not forget about you. If things work out for me with the doctors, I will suggest you get in touch with your doctors and do the same. If it ends up being a waste of time.... Then it will be back to the drawing board.
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks for replying. Please do keep me posted.

Good luck!!!

ezjcisdone is offline New Member

So here is what I know after my visit. The doctor feels that I have depression and ADD. However; because I was honest with him about my family history and the fact that I was on hydro for 2 years, but never really abused them, he decided not to treat the ADD and just put me on welbutrin and Trazadone. I am not sure about those two medications. I've heard bad things about trazadone, but he wanted me to take the trazadone before bed. I have not had them filled yet, because of my fears of these two new medications. I am overall feeling much better, but it bothers me that he will not treat the ADD. I feel that is my main problem. I am thinking about getting a second pysch opinioon about treatment options. Anyone has thoughts?
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted as to if you take the prescribed meds and the results of that along with another opinion.

I am definitely getting better by the week. I still have some substantial ADD and depression symptoms but they come and go. I have a standing script for Zoloft that I may try for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It hasn't been any sort of miracle cure in the past but maybe it will take an edge off.

Stay in touch and GOOD LUCK!!!

Thought I would post as it has been a couple of weeks and I am committed to staying on the forum for those who are wondering how long the process is and the overall timeline of things. As several others have stated it is different for everyone and has been different for me each time I have traveled this road but this time I know I have it kicked!!

I have taken on the task of quitting smoking. This is something that I never could have done before. It seems like a walk in the park in comparison.

The cravings for me are still present but my mood seems to be far better than it has been for years. I am much more committed to my family and career. I do still seem to be fighting the anxiety and depression and after a couple months of fighting I have decided to use my prescription for Zoloft. I have been taking it for only 4 days and appears to be making a difference.

I am now approximately 5 months clean and I definitely know that I will never go through this again. It is a long journey and has its ups and downs but I would like to reach out to all of you starting this process or in the middle HANG IN THERE. It does get better and you will come out a better person.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Elcey likes this.

It has been 6 weeks since my last post and nearly y 7 months clean and have to say that things have never been better. I cant say that there is no effects because I think to some degree there will always be, however my mood is much more consistent and my relationships have all been stronger than ever.

I once again found 6 pills when cleaning out an old box of things from my office. I can say that it was very very hard to not just take one but I did not cave and into the toilet they went. I'm hoping this is the last time I find any of these evil pills. Luckily I have been down this road and did cave in a very similar situation that led me straight back to a daily problem.

Once again wanted to keep up with an occasional update. I know there are several of you out there beginning this journey but please know and believe that it does get better and you too will conquer this.!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hartty36 View Post
    It has been 6 weeks since my last post and nearly y 7 months clean and have to say that things have never been better. I cant say that there is no effects because I think to some degree there will always be, however my mood is much more consistent and my relationships have all been stronger than ever.

I once again found 6 pills when cleaning out an old box of things from my office. I can say that it was very very hard to not just take one but I did not cave and into the toilet they went. I'm hoping this is the last time I find any of these evil pills. Luckily I have been down this road and did cave in a very similar situation that led me straight back to a daily problem.

Once again wanted to keep up with an occasional update. I know there are several of you out there beginning this journey but please know and believe that it does get better and you too will conquer this.!!!
    Hey glad to hear you are doing so well, and even moving on to bigger and better things like attempting to stop smoking.

Just got caught up on your story. It is great.

I am about 45 days into a suboxone taper, now at 0.125mg a day, tomorrow will likely be my second to last dose. Inspiring stories like this raise my optimism and help keep me going.
    Hartty36 likes this.

Very inspiring!
    Hartty36 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123