Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
Beginning 100 mg Vicodin taper
    Hartty36 is offline Junior Member

Post Beginning 100 mg Vicodin taper

Hello all I am a 30 year old long time user (off and on for 10 years). I am currently using approximately 100-120 mg of nor I on a daily basis. I have been down the ct route and am trying not to do that right now as I have an extremely active career and family life and would like to taper but really don't have a "schedule" yet

This addiction has nearly ruined my marriage,family, and mental health and have no other option but to shake it for good this time.

I am aware that there is no miracle cure for this evil process but would give anything for some help and/or suggestions.

I am 100% committed to this being the last time EVER!

Any feedback or suggestions for a taper for me would be greatly appreciated.

jobrijim is offline Banned

Hey hartty,I'm an addict,been clean on and off,most recently 14years,wow,about to start again off h and oxy.I do have some advise.have you tried using less,say 80 mgs,whatever you can get by on with minimum trouble,and go down 10 mgs every 5 days ,see if it's doable,if not do 7.5 ,should get you there,in 6 weeks,aproximately,if you do 10.go to 2.5 at the end if needed,you will feel some symptoms ,hopefully not to much.drink fluids,water,as much as possible, eat good,walking and any other exercise, hot showers and or baths,vitamins and other health supplements. I go to 12 step meetings, helps me,I'm sure you have been there,some kind of support. Don't know you,if you are religious,that can be helpful,I'm not,though I do believe in god,so I pray.stay busy as much as possible, hours to days to weeks and hopefully ,success at the end,time heals,of course we want it fast,detox is slow ,sadly.others should be along soon to add or give more and maybe better advise.you can do it,if you are ready mentally,you have a real chance,wishing you the best,jimmy.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    Hartty36 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hello Hartty,

Good advice and suggestions from Jimmy. Tapering a full agonist opiate is difficult because your basically in wd's as you continue to reduce. You feel discomfort all the way down. And you know those pills are sitting there waiting for you take more than the taper dose your suppose to be taking. You really have to be committed to be successful. It becomes a huge mental battle. No reason to think you can't do this as you really seem to want this bad enough and that's exactly what it takes.

Jimmy's taper suggestion sounds good to me. You could reduce by 1/2 of a pill every 4-5 days and probably be ok. Either way reduce as low as you can get. If you struggle at any dose you may want to reconsider your plan to taper and just get it over with and stop. You'll have rough symptoms for 2-3 days then feel better everyday afterwards.

Try the Thomas Recipe as it's been known to help many. Heres the link below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

I wouldn't take the benzo it suggests unless you've been taking one under doctor supervision. They are highly addictive and can be a nightmare to detox from. Don't take anything addictive as it defeats the purpose of getting clean.

Keep posting as it really does help. You'll receive plenty of support as you go through this.

Randy
    Hartty36 and NikkiLP like this.

Thank you both for the kind replies. Yesterday I started my taper with 90 MG and plan to do as you say and drop 1/2 every 5 days. I know that this will not be easy but I am terrified of the CT and quite honestly do not have time to do this right now. I have all of the ingredients for the Thomas recipe. Is this something I should be taking while tapering or wait until I jump off? If the taper is real slow will the WD symptoms be far less or am I just delaying the inevitable?

My wife has agreed to administer the pills for the taper. She is very disgusted with me and has her guard up as I have lied about this in the past and quite frankly wore her out.

I am trying very hard to get my life back and will do whatever it takes for her and my family.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2016 at 09:26 AM.

After another lenghty discussion with my wife who is severly disgused with me, she cant quite get herself to support this or maybe its that she cant get her head around it. Please keep in mind that this is not her fault and I have been "caught" by her several times promising not to do it again. At this point Im reletively certain that my marriage will not rebound from this which is starting a whole different bout of depression. I guess it is now to do it for myself and my 4 children when get to the other side.

I have been doing this off and on for over ten years . At one point I was opiate free for over 2 years and caved after a series of events that I shouldnt have let take me to this level.

Anyways.... to get the demon out of me I have decided to go the cold turkey route in an effort to move on with life without these evil pills. I have done it before and I can do it again.

If anyone has any tips or remedies that helped in anyway I am all ears. I plan to start the process on Friday. I have all ingresients for the Thomas recipe including ativan which I am a little reluctant to take. Any thoghts or ideas on this?

I guess there is good and bad to knowing what I am up against. Right now I feel alone but confident that this will be the last time I have to go through this!

jobrijim is offline Banned

Hey hartty,50mg is better,yesterday you said you were starting on 90.surely it will be difficult, but I've read about many people doing it,many at higher doses.same advice still applies, minus the taper.i personally can't imagine working though people do it try reading past posts also years of successful stories, and helpful info,you can do it
    ,you've done it before.keep posting daily as much as you can.nothing is more important than getting your life back. Things have a way of working out when you get clean,in a short time this will be behind you
    On your side brother, jimmy
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks Jimmy.

I have decided to take Friday and Monday off and take the plunge.

I have been reading posts nonstop the last several nights and they do help. I will keep posting.

I am nearing the end of day 5. What a roller coaster it has been.

The acute symptoms have subsided. I did find 2 pills in a travel bag today and flushed them. What an event that was. Took a lot to do. Damn pills have an amazing effect. I didn't have to think hard but it was a test.

Anxiety and insomnia are constantly present but I have a family that is still here waiting for my recovery. Therefroe I will stay strong.

I will say that the Thomas recipe did help. A long ways from good but a lot better than a few days ago.

I do feel for anyone going through this. I will not look back. I am excited for the next step and for some of this anxiety to subside. May try to excersize tomorrow.

Wish me luck !!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-11-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    Wanna_b_done likes this.

Wanna_b_done is offline Junior Member

Thanks 4 sharing!!! That's very encouraging!!!! You CAN do this!!!!
    Hartty36 likes this.

FiveYearsFromNow is offline Junior Member

WOW So proud of you for flushing those two! I think you should cling to that memory whenever you feel the inevitable call to use again and remind yourself that you are one BAMF who's strong enough do that during WD. I'm in awe. My story is a bit similar, maybe a few years earlier on your track-- my wife is supportive, but every time I >>>> it up I know it could be the last time. All my love to you. I'm here any time you need to talk, man. You can do this! One piece of advice that helped me a ton when I got clean long-term last, if you have the option, is to get on an antidepressant from a psychiatrist (and tell them that you are addicted to opiates). A good doc will work with you and help you because as I'm sure you know, the next few months are going to have some very dark emotional times. I find myself crying at pringles commercials. xoxo
    Hartty36 and Wanna_b_done like this.

Thanks for the advice. I currently am taking zoloft nd have been for a couple of years.

I am through another workday and have bad anxiety but other than that I feel pretty good. Actually cleaned my office today to make sure that there were no pills and found one more single pill to test me. In the toilet it went.!!

Now I have to keep itthat way and try to rekindle my marriage.

That is the worst part right now is thinkning about the damage I have caused my family.

I have it in my head that I cant change what is done but can make sure it doesn't happen again.

I am also having a tough time sleeping. I do have an old rx for soma. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it help for sleep?

Thanks again to all. These posts are helping me through.
    Wanna_b_done likes this.

Hamscraps is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hartty36 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I currently am taking zoloft nd have been for a couple of years.

I am through another workday and have bad anxiety but other than that I feel pretty good. Actually cleaned my office today to make sure that there were no pills and found one more single pill to test me. In the toilet it went.!!

That is the worst part right now is thinkning about the damage I have caused my family.

I have it in my head that I cant change what is done but can make sure it doesn't happen again.

I am also having a tough time sleeping. I do have an old rx for soma. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it help for sleep?

I'm so happy for you!! What a test to flush those pills!

Have you tried melatonin for sleep? I take two at bedtime. Its a >>>> shoot but more often than not, I do get some sleep.

I've never tried Soma before but is it addicting? I don't know if I'd go that route but I'll let someone with experience chime in about it.

Break on through!

offandclean is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-13-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    Hartty36 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartty36 View Post

The thinking about the damage I've caused is the part I haven't made it past yet! I get to about 5 or 6 days clean then the guilt and shame crushes me and I'm back to wanting to numb myself. My husband was NOT supportive and after 20+ years together walked away. I look at my beautiful children and hate myself for tearing apart our family. Sooooo what I mean to be saying (instead of whining about me...) is AWESOME! GOOD JOB! KEEP ON IT!! Flushing the pills, cleaning the office, reflecting on the destruction.... and NOT USING is super encouraging!! Thank you!!
    Hartty36 likes this.

Tried the soma last night and one pill knocked me out but unfortuanlety only for about 3 hours. I think it has some addictive properties but I only have 5 of them so I'm hoping that this is safe.

Makes today alot harder when I have been up since 1 AM. Oh Well I guess I deserve it and its my body's way of reminding me that this is no joke.

My wife is still with me and I do believe that she is really trying to support me but will defintiely be a process for her as well.

Any other sleep remedies would be welcomed.

Thanks All. Have a great Day.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-13-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    FiveYearsFromNow likes this.

Melatonin.. 10 - 20mg
    UNISOM (OTC)
    Dbl doses of Nyquil (weird but works sometimes)
    I find that sometimes a combo of these (safe & nonaddictive) works best. Just make sure ur not mixing same ingredients. Like Benedryl & Nyquil the both have same sleep ingred. And I find switching em up often helps.
    Good luck! I KNOW how much not sleeping SUCKS!!!! I work NOCS (overnights) so day sleeping is Already hard, but its REALLY BAD when the restless legs start!
    Keep on going thru! I just KNOW the other side will b worth it!
    Hartty36 likes this.

Another Day over half gone!!!

Did try melatonin and Z quil last night and Slept only a few hours last night but things felt better today anyways. Had a chance to talk with my wife briefly this morning and although she just can not see how this could happen she is trying to forgive and I guess that is all I can ask for at this point.

Today is day 8 and undoubtedly the best day yet!

Now the real mind work begins!!!

Good luck all and have a great weekend!!!

Much love and respect and congrats on day 8 -- I'm right there with you, timewise (day 8!). It's a process, ongoing, and we'll be doing it forever I think (resisting the call, I mean). Let's stick together! Good luck over the weekend... try to keep busy. Do you feel like the more free time you have the harder it is? When I'm busy I feel the best (even when I feel the worst). Stick to it!

5Years
    Hartty36 likes this.

OH yeah-- I wanted to add about restless legs... antihistamines can REALLY make those worse, so I'd avoid benadryl and nyquil for sleep aids. Potassium and electrolytes helped me. Best of luck with the wife situation.
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks for the support and congrats to you as well. Didn't sleep much again last night and starting to take its toll. Really groggy today!!! I keep telling myself that I deserve this but really want some energy. I do seem to do better if I can stay busy but can't get myself to do anything today. No chance of going back just having a bad day!!!!

Against my better judgement I took 2 mg of Ativan last night and got a straight 6 hours of sleep. So far it is the only thing that has produced any sleep. I'm only have about 2 doses left so will use them sparingly. Can't afford to get hooked on it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another goods nights sleep thanks to Ativan. Only have one more dose and it's gone. Going to try tonight without. Other than that had s busy weekend with family and stayed occupied which helped. Sleep seems to control everything at this point , mood, energy, anxiety, etc. I'm hoping that some Otc mess will help me get this rest that I direly need.

Thanks again everyone. Day 11 and going strong!!!

I hear you on the ativan. For what it's worth, I take 2 mg a night to sleep. My psychologist basically said, be honest, do you feel the same connection to benzo as to opiates? And the answer of course is NO, I have no craving or need to take them to get high in any way... so her logic was, let's try it as a sleep aid short term. It's really helped. I'd put that question in the hands of a doc though, cause anyone on here could tell you that I'm subbing one addiction for another, although I don't feel that's true as it in no way is disrupting my life and I've never taken more than prescribed dose at the right time. Maybe it'd help you too! xo, 5
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks 5. Glad to hear I'm not alone on the Ativan. I didn't take any last night and slept for 3 hours. Pretty rough days when I can't sleep and really good days when I can. I only have one dose left so probably going to follow your advice and talk to doc. Thanks. How are things going for u?

Helpmequit611 is offline New Member

Hey guys .. sorry to disrupt but I am in the same boat.. I went to rehab 2 months ago and I had 35 days clean my fiancé left me during this whole process and it has made things so much worst I do not blame her for a second, my lies and ups and downs took a HUGE TOLL on such a sweet and innocent girl she has been my everything, best friend , lover, support system, for the last 4 years .. we are still friends, but this weekend she is moving out and into her parents Anyway, after the 35 days clean from everything, 3 weeks ago I relapsed, only started small 1 30 mg blue a day, skip a day, but the last 2 weeks I am back at it, not nearly as high as 2 months ago before rehab, but I am taking 2-5 30mg blues daily the last week .. what do you think I I should do? I can't go back to rehab yet, without first trying on my own to donthis .. I am hoping since it's a smaller relapse it may not be too bad? Who knows, but I have 4 8 mg subs.. I was planning to do a rapid detox taper , 8 mg day 1, 6 day 2 , 4 day 3, 2 day 4, and 1 day 5.. do you guys think this will be effective ? I can't cold turkey Bc they will all know I >>>>ed up and it will crush them. . They are so proud thinking I am over 60 days clean, Hopefully I didn't bother you too much and someone can offer me some help .. thanks again guys
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thought I would check in. Today is my 17th day with no pills!!!! Feels like a giant victory. Sleep is still the biggest problem with 2 or 3 hours per night but overall I feel very very good. It has not been easy but I really do believe that if you really want it anyone can do it. Had a great weekend with the family and even a little energy. Wife is still with me and I may have even seen her let her guard down for a few minutes. It's a great start. Long road ahead but feeling great. Good luck to y'all.

Just checkin' in Hat-- Bad news is I caved and bought some more. I'll be out in about three days. I had a dream, that's what started it off, where I bought some and did some. When I woke I had the feeling that all my progress was gone. Even though I kept telling myself it was just a dream, the feeling triggered the "screw it" mentality that so often leads to using. Do you ever feel that way? I'll be starting again soon. I guess I just dont want to get better yet. But I feel ready. I don't know. I'm so confused. I'll check in in two days when I start quitting again... sigh... Hope all's well with you, check in and lemme know, you're an inspiration!

5years
    Hartty36 likes this.

Sorry five. I know exactly where you are at and how u feel. I have had several dreams about taking pills and wake up just craving them. It's not fun.... But if you want to do it and have the mindset you can and will do it!!

On another note last Wednesday I ended up having gall bladder surgery. I was having a lot of pain in my right side. Had myself convinced that I had ruined my liver but turfmen out to be a bunch of gallstones. Had the biggest test yet when was prescribed 30 Vicodin. Was totally being tested by someone. I have to admit it was very very hard to not fill that rx especially due to pain before and after surgery. I gave it to my wife and moved on. Another huge hurdle.

I have been 100% off of them for 25 days now and feel like I can really do it this time!!! I don't want to go back. I still have days that are better than others and still want to just take 1 but I'm not going back EVER!!

I hope your are doing good. Keep me posted and good luck!!!

Hey that's amazing news! And I'm so happy to hear your wife can be part of the team so it's not just you against the world, you know? I'm off and on. RIght now, two days off. It's like an approach avoidance loop-- I take a few days in a row, not enough to get physical WDs, but enough to crave and be miserable, then I stop for a few days as the "saner" part of me takes over and regains control... then I go "I can probably handle a few more days worth..." So dumb. I'm fighting the urge right now to call for more. Just kinda came on here to post until the feeling went away. I so appreciate you checking in and reporting the small successes-- it's really inspiring. I know soon we'll be happy and healthy looking back on this as a hilariously depressing adventure. Glad we're doing it together! xoxo, 5
    Hartty36 likes this.

Thanks. Today is 1 Moth!!!! Seems like longer. I can say that it is awesome to have this behind me and not thinking about it constantly. Believe me when I say that If can do it all of you reading this can too and it is a very liberating feeling. It I not fun or easy but every day at this point truly gets better.

My wife is slowly starting to come around and life is just overall better. Not worrying about my health, getting aught, getting more pills, my family etc. is so amazing.

I can say that I don't think about it or don want any more pills but I can say that it I very worth it to think on my own again and get my life back.

Good luck to you all!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast