Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
The beginning
    UnwantedLegacy is offline New Member

Default The beginning

Today, 10:31 AM

Aug 2015

Hi Red,
    I hope you are still doing well? I too have been struggling with Hydro and Oxy. Started with an extremely painful health problem that 2 of my Dr.'s could not find. I found it on my own...one blessing for my education (nursing major) I don't will spare you all of you the several problems I had, but I was certainly frustrated that they kept piling up on me and surgery, too.

Amongst these health problems, 2 other people in my family needed help, as well. I had to drop out of school, lighten my work load and became very discouraged.

I continued my own health care, started researching my daughter's extremely painful, chronic daily Migraine issues, and solved my mom's health problems.

Needless to say, I became very depressed, still in pain and fount out I had other pain related issues! I was so grateful, in the beginning, of all the pain meds that could relieve everyone's discomfort. Unfortunately, they became like a ball and chain. I became physically dependent on those meds and realized I couldn't do anything spontaneously because I always had to make sure I had my meds. My Dr. helped me to get them early if I was leaving for a trip or whatever came up.

Now, years later, I am healed from most of my conditions and ready to wean off these prison pills. I started reading this site and realized the dates were so far back. I will look around and see if there is some more current stuff.

I will look up this 'Thomas method' and I do know most of the basic info. It still doesn't make it any easier having the education. My body doesn't know I am educated and I am still going to suffer all the same withdraw processes. I am just grateful this site exists. I am a human being embarking upon a tough fight ahead.

I do have a few questions, already! I have weaned myself down from a large amount of OxyContin (10 mg at a time,) very slowly. Now I am down to 20 mg Oxy 1x daily and have Hydro 10/325 for break through. I am stuck. I moved and my Dr. moved so getting some 10 mg OxyContin is not likely. I read that 3 of my Hydro's is equivalent to my 20 mg. oxy. I just don't understand how the heck I am going to sort of switch out a long acting oxy with an immediate release Hydro

If someone knows how to do this please help me to understand the process or system to do it. My goal is to get Oxy out of my routine, and slowly wean down to lowest amount I can of Hydro. After that, I will jump off. I have all the stuff ready for PAWS...ugh!

Comments, suggestions, experience, please reply~Thank You

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Yes 30 mg hydro is equivalent to 20 mg oxy if I recall correctly. You can replace the long acting with the short acting by cutting the short acting and taking it more frequently. Even cut it into quarters and take a piece every couple hours to sort of mimic the more steady blood levels of the long acting. Then you can gradually taper down from there by spreading out time between doses or eliminating a dose here and there. Best of luck to you!
    UnwantedLegacy likes this.

Thank you,

This is a good idea. Haven't thought of that. I am assuming that means instead of taking the 20 mg. OxyContin. I will take smaller doses of the fast acting Hydro in it's place? Wondering if I should start with one whole Hydro 10/325 (It is an amount I know I can safely take) and little by little spacing out Hydro in smaller amounts until I get as low as I can. The trick for me was how to get the OxyContin out of my routine. I will give it a try and see what happens. Again, Thank You~K

I'm giving up...I can't do this. I have been pushed around, jumped through hoops, took care of too many people, for too long and placed their problems ahead of my own. I finally put my foot down and asked everyone to back off and let me concentrate on my own life.

I knew, have known, I was going to have to face this part of recovering my health but I had no idea I may have waited too long. Once a person with an amazing will power, completed goals I had set for myself, strong, independent, and too empathetic towards others', always placing their needs before my own...I am now empty!

I don't want to go thru w/d. I know we all have to, I just feel it's too big for me.. I have to go thru it twice. Once to get off Oxy and so I am already dealing with w/d everyday until my body adjusts to having just Hydro and then Hydro wean until I jump. I tried 3 different ways in 3 days in a row and couldn't stick to any of them. I tried using the Hydro 10 mg. to help but the cravings for the Oxy was just too strong for me. The OxyContin has to go first! I have done it before, why can't I do it now?

Please, anyone out there with knowledge, experience, or help, please share with me what you know.. Have to kick the OxyContin stumbling block before I continue down to the last Hydro and then jump...hoping this weaning will make w/d a little easier~Thank You, for your help!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-10-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Anonymous Guest

Unwanted you are wrong. You CAN do this. But you have to really want it. You have to set a plan and stick too it. I promise you CAN. I know how tough it is. I know how bad cravings can drive you crazy. I know how tough it is too only get an hour or two of sleep for the first week or so, but it's possible.

Personally a taper never worked for me. I would rather "rip the bandaid off". Feeling tired and irritable for weeks as I decreased my dose was too much for me. With CT it was 1 rough week then all uphill from there. Whatever you decide, just stick too it. We're all rooting for you.

Thank you, Okc21.

When I tapered from 240 mg of OxyContin, I did it by reducing 10 mg. of OxyContin at a time. It was an amount I could handle. The side effects were mild but there. I was working towards that last 10 mg. drop from the 20 mg. 1x daily. My Dr. wrote the incorrect amount and I didn't notice it right away. He wrote 20mgs. because he was used to me being on that amount and forgot to do 10. I was so disappointed. I knew 20 was going to be too big of a jump...I have been doing this for awhile. If not explained...my Dr moved and I moved. So it couldn't be fixed, it was too late to go get 10 mg. script.

When I found out what happened it threw my whole plan right out the window. Then I reasoned with myself and said...ok, I weaned from 240mgs daily to 20 mgs daily...that's a big deal. I tapered off Xanax (also a high amount) using the Ashton Manual and I succeeded without w/d. This is why I am so frustrated. Why this last little 10 mg. is giving me so much grief?

I am just going to have to find a way to change things up and change my routine...maybe it will cause a little chaos and move that 20 further and further out by time...an hour or more if I can.

I have been praying like crazy to just get me off this one (mistake) Last night, I went to bed with my routine meds...Oxy is not one of them. I take Oxy right when I wake up with my coffee. I woke up at 12:00 am worrying about this. I decided to take Oxy and when I woke up I would not take it and see how far out I can go. I will take 1 Hydro 10 around 10am.

I will keep trying to take the 20 further and further out. I don't know if I will succeed but its worth a try. Breaking that morning routine might finally change things??? I do have diazepam (Valuim) to help me in the day and to sleep. In the end when I jump, I have Clonidine that is supposed to be helpful with w/d symptoms.

I sure hope this works...it's funny, all I am trying to do is the right thing and didn't expect so many hurdles. My support at home is minimal and filled with negativity. If this works for me, I will post it. Otherwise, thank you for the emotional support. People underestimate how effective positive encouragement and cheering people thru...makes a big difference!!

Anonymous Guest

That's awesome to taper from 240mg down to 20mgs. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you. You've come so far unwanted, DONT STOP NOW!!

Thank you, Okc21.

I am thrilled to say I DID IT. The last dose of OxyContin 20mgs. was at 12:00 am the night I prayed and said I just cant do this...help me! Well my Higher Power helped me alright. I was told to trust Him, look at this one day at a time and do what I place on your heart After I fell back to sleep, I knew I was supposed to not take the Oxy when I woke up (daily routine with coffee.)

I also knew that ER (Extended Release) was still in my system. I usually took 1 (20 mg Oxy) every 24 hours, roughly. During that day I knew some was still in my system And honestly, I wanted to take the Oxy ER again, but I didn't. I took the Hydro and my cravings went away a little. By afternoon, the 12 hr. Oxy was starting to wear off and nag at me. I was starting to feel the sweats coming on, anxiety, and just prayed again. Then I took diazepam (Valium) and a Hydro...that worked.

The rest of the day was manageable and I kept saying, "keep your eye on the ball, "you've got this" Just get rid of Oxy. By bedtime I was ready to fall into a good nights sleep. Right now, during this battle, I am using the Xanax to help with sleep. But not recommended for long term use...I went down that alley before...not good!! Short term, it does its job!

This morning (19) hrs. since last Oxy, I feel great knowing I was led away from that hurdle. I took the Hydro as planned. I still get the sweats or like an uncomfortable flush of heat...similar to a hot flash. I keep ignoring them. If I can't stop them, I will take diazepam.

I know all my comments are long. But I know there are people out there struggling and if I can give them anything in my story to help...I want to do just that. Just as I received, from my first responder, a great idea for me that I had never thought of...I was so grateful. Even if it didn't help in its entirety, it did give me some other ideas that sprung off that piece of advise.

So thank you,
    Thank you "Thisweakforsure" for your tip
    Thank you "Okc21" for the emotional support
    And thank anyone who read this or want to ask me questions...I am here!
    Wish me luck...its not over yet...just one hurdle down!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Sorry I didn't see your post a couple days ago. I would have told you to just hack the 20 in half and make it a 10. We've been through this in other threads. Today's OxyContin since it was reformulated does not release all at once, it's still ER so you can turn a 20 into two 10s by whacking it in half. You can even cut it into quarters. BUT you've gone as long as you have I think you should stick it out, you are doing great!