Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CI238
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Can I Switch from 400mg daily of Oxycodone to Suboxone?
    CI238 is offline New Member

Default Can I Switch from 400mg daily of Oxycodone to Suboxone?

Is this possible? How should I do it? Need some help!

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CI238 View Post
    Is this possible? How should I do it? Need some help!
    Yes, if done correctly? Why are you wanting to switch to suboxone? Do you want off the oxy for good? What about cold turkey instead of the subs? Give us your complete detailed history on your drug use? Let us know what your ultimate goal is? We can help but we need more info? Thanks... God bless us all!

Yes, I want off Oxy for good. I want to be off of everything at some point. Started with a back surgery. Progression over 15 years from Vicodin to Oxy. Oxy for the last 10 years progressively building tolerance to where I am now. I take 30-45 mg every couple of hours. I can't go cold turkey, I've tried. I also need to function daily. I was hoping I could switch over to sub with only a few bad days of getting used to it and then slowly taper off the sub.
    Ricky71 likes this.

Yes, I want off Oxy for good. I want to be off of everything at some point. Started with a back surgery. Progression over 15 years from Vicodin to Oxy. Oxy for the last 10 years progressively building tolerance to where I am now. I take 30-45 mg every couple of hours. I can't go cold turkey, I've tried. I also need to function daily. I was hoping I could switch over to sub with only a few bad days of getting used to it and then slowly taper off the sub.
    Okay, we can help you make the switch properly. What subs do you have, the 8mg tabs or film? You are gonna have to be in pretty severe withdrawal (score of 26 or higher on the COWS worksheet, more on this later) from the oxy before starting the induction on the sub, this part is extremely important or you can run the risk of going into precipitated withdrawal! I'm going to leave you a link at the bottom of this post for Robert's sub therapy/taper plan, please read it very carefully because this is going to be your guideline for the subs! I'll be out for a few hours but I'll be back on the this forum tonight, I'll check for your update then? Let me know what subs you have, how many subs you have and when you think you want to take your last dose of oxy?

Here's a link to Robert's plan - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

I don't have the subs yet so I don't know which they'll be. It's from my doctor so I can request any type I'm sure. Strips better? Problem is, he thinks I'm on 150mg daily so I don't know how many subs he will give me. I've tried this before twice. One time I took the sub too early and went into awful withdrawals and another time I just didn't get relief fast enough and went back to oxy. I clearly wasn't comitted back then. I am committed now. I want this over with. I'll check out your link. Thank you for your help so far.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

Ricky is awesome and he and others will help you. I had a sarcastic smirk when I read you are afraid your doctor won't give you enough. Trust me, he is going to give you wayyyyy tooooo much. They all do. Just learn Robert's Sub Taper Plan and ask whatever questions you have. Then get your subs. Don't take any until someone walks you through how you want to induct. This is one time that we're going to tell you to completely ignore how your doctor tells you to take these. They don't know or understand the consequences of the super high doses they prescribe. Folks here do.

Glad you joined us.

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71 likes this.

I've previously discussed this with my doctor and he said it would take at least a year to do this taper properly and I had to do the induction at his office. I'd much rather do this in the comfort of home. I also had a question about how many days it would take to start feeling normal again after switching over. I've heard it can take up to a week or two for your body to adjust to the sub. I'd like to plan a long labor day weekend by taking my last oxy on Thursday, getting to level 26 by Friday and start the induction. Can I be back to work by that Tuesday after Labor Day? That's a 4 day weekend if I do it that way.
    Thanks for all your info

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I'm glad you came back. Some doctors insist that you induct in their office. I'd try again to see if you can induct at home but if you don't win that discussion, just follow his instructions, get your script and get out of there! Come back here and we'll get you on track. Just in case he/she does make you take your first dose in the office, you are going to want to be at that 26 score on the COWS before you go in. If you're not, you run the risk of precipitated withdrawals. I don't want to scare you, but you don't want that to happen. Some people reach that score in 24 hours but others take longer. There is no magic timeline. Everyone is a bit different. If I were you, I'd take my last dose of oxy 36 hrs before your appointment. It might be a bit rough but precipitated withdrawal is worse. You'll have to be in moderately severe withdrawal before you take your first sub dose. More on that later. If you still haven't scored a 26 when you get to your appointment, discuss that with your doctor and tell him/her you don't want to induct too soon.

There's no reason why you won't feel well enough to go back to work provided you induct properly. Thursday to Tuesday is plenty of time to induct and become stable. Listen to the advice given here though. If you stick closely to the taper, it won't take you a year to taper off. More on that later too. You can do this!

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71 likes this.

I've previously discussed this with my doctor and he said it would take at least a year to do this taper properly and I had to do the induction at his office. I'd much rather do this in the comfort of home. I also had a question about how many days it would take to start feeling normal again after switching over. I've heard it can take up to a week or two for your body to adjust to the sub. I'd like to plan a long labor day weekend by taking my last oxy on Thursday, getting to level 26 by Friday and start the induction. Can I be back to work by that Tuesday after Labor Day? That's a 4 day weekend if I do it that way.
    Thanks for all your info
    The sub therapy/taper plan used here takes about 8 weeks from start to finish! If the induction is done correctly you'll start to feel better within a few hours however it may take a few days of adjusting your daily dose to become completley stable? Is this "doctor" a pain management/Sub doc or just your own gp doc? I'm afraid if you do the induction in the office setting that you will be inducted too early and most definitely on way too much sub as well? You'll want to get the 8mg films if possible, these are easiest for tapering purposes. I would say to take your last dose of oxy at least 30 hours before your induction onto the subs but remember time is not the deciding factor here, the COWS score of 26 (moderate to severe withdrawal) or higher is! Hopefully you can do the induction at home? Others will be by with their opinion as well, we'll help you through this and you'll do just fine! Continue to read and study Robert's sub therapy plan?

Here's a link to a video on how to cut suboxone film courtesy of HarrySmooth, a drugs.com forum member - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE

Keep us updated? Be well... God bless us all!

PS
    I just seen that Cat and I were posting to you at the same time! You're in good hands, I promise!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-07-2016 at 06:15 PM.