Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Whynot2014
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Can someone only be addicted to suboxone and never use other drugs
    Whynot2014 is offline New Member

Default Can someone only be addicted to suboxone and never use other drugs

I just found out my boyfriend of two years has been addicted suboxone for like three years. Or that what he says. He also says that he hasn't been addicted to anything else that he doesn't take perc or oxy. I think it is a lie. Why would anyone just take Subs. Now he claims he is quitting and is clean for almost two weeks. How do you truly know if you are being lied to. He did get sick for a few days and not sleep but now he seems fine. But is fine being back on Subs. The only symptoms I noticed when he was on Subs was notting off and up and down moods. He thinks he never lied to me, that he just never told me that it is not lying. I don't know what to do.

Please I am welcome to any advice.

Thank you,
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

That does sound very strange? I suppose it's possible to be addicted to subs if a person has taken them long enough, and/or the dose has been fairly high. But why take subs if you aren't an addict? They aren't usually taken for pain issues. Makes no sense.

I honestly think he's up to something. No judgement, but I'm an addict and would tell you your name was something else and get you to believe me. Addicts are great liars and masters of manipulation.

I would go to any pharmacy and get a home drug test. They are inexpensive. To test for subs you would need a separate test that checks for buprenorphine, the active ingredient in subs. They can be ordered online and the cost is small according to a long-standing member here.

Don't tell him you have the test, just spring it on him once you have it. If he says go ahead, test me then he's probably telling the truth. But if he balks at the matter, or flat out refuses then you probably have your answer. When I was clean and not taking anything I would gladly prove it. But if I was using and you told me to take one I would try to refuse and tell you something like - "those tests are inaccurate and prove nothing" to get you on my side quickly. Manipulation at it's best. The tests are very accurate.

My opinion anyway. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Randy pretty much nailed it: As a fellow addict he is right (loved this part) "I could tell you your name was something else and get you to believe me." Yes, we are the masters of denial, deferred blame (I could blame you for anything and make you feel guilty), liars and manipulators.

I'm not so sure about the "addicted to subs" even though you can get "high" from subs, but there is a limit or ceiling for sub. Sometimes addicts take subs when they can't get a drug of choice like oxy or perc to get rid of any w/d symptoms they have. Then, when they can, they go back to whatever drug. It's kind of a back and forth thing.

Take care:

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

I completely agree with Randy and Rose. Seems strange to "just" be taking Sub if there was never a problem with anything else. Most people don't get a high from Sub (I never did), so it isn't a drug that is sought out for its euphoric affects. We almost always see people taking Sub to try to end an addiction to other pills (percs, Oxy, whatever) or taking Sub when they run out of their pill of choice but don't wanna go through WD. I know all about that cycle, unfortunately.

It's pretty much like they both said: if he's an addict, he'll tell you just about anything before admitting the truth. (Randy, you killed me with "I could tell you your name was something else..". I know it wasn't meant to be funny, but I had to laugh because it's just so true.)

I'm a recovering addict and something seems fishy. You should take Randy's advice and get the drug test that tests for buprenorphine (the main ingredient in Sub). Keep us posted.

All the best to you..
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-12-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Whynot2014 is offline New Member

Thank you, I just ordered the Tests online today. I will let you guys know.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there
    This is a lot to go through I know
    But please watch him when he does the urine specimen
    He may have some idea you are doing this and as Randy, Rose and Kat said addicts are very manipulative and he may already be planning for this
    Do you have a plan of what is next if the test is positive cuz I guarantee you he will me mad and most people don't want help unless they are ready.
    Your deciding it's time only means it is time for you to do something because that is all you can control..
    I don't know if anyone suggested Naranon or Alanon because dealing with this can be mind boggling and you need to take care of yourself..

You can support him but you can't fix him or make him really stop..
    Addicts do a lot of stuff they would not necessarily do except after they start using that is there reason for living..
    Everyday will revolve around pills or sub..
    So please keep us updated..
    Iluv2

PtcG8 is offline New Member

I've got to agree with everyone above, though I did want to just point something out. He obviously had some type of a problem prior to taking the subs, I think that's a more than reasonable assumption, and likely true. I just wanted to point out maybe he's been afraid to stop taking the subs out of fear for getting sick... for those that have not had an addiction to opiates, it can be hard to understand just how withdrawal feels. For many it is like being mentally manic, and physically like having the full on flu. If you do decide to do the drug test on him, I would say think about what you want first. Compassion can go a long way, as an addict myself ( sorry to say ) we are often met with disdain, anger, frustration and a general lack of understanding. I am not belittling what some addicts do, and I fully understand those reactions to some behaviors. If you love the guy and want to stay with him, try to understand, that is not to say you shouldn't be mad if he's been lying to you etc... just some food for thought.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I agree with above poster but the issue is not the crime it is the cover up..
    If he is lying about that the worst thing is not the using... it is the lying
    A person with an addict ( myself included) has to decide if the trust will ever be there and if suspicion is something they want to deal with ?
    Maybe forever!
    We are as sick as our secrets!

I hope you update us..
    It is never easy !

Take care
    Iluv2

Soon2BxSubUser is offline New Member

Short answer to your question, Yes. I have been a psychiatrist for only 3 years officially now, but I can say that from experience in the suboxone field and as an addict in recovery personally, I can tell you that there is a small up and coming group of people who are becoming addicted strictly to suboxone. I remember back in my undergrad years before actually becoming dependent upon opiates, I tried suboxone and 8mg gives you a stronger high in my personal opinion than 80mgs of OxyContin.

Yezwit is offline New Member

I say yes to your question and here is why...

I have never in my life had an addiction to any drug. About a year ago I stated taking a low dosage of suboxone (1mg) it does in fact give me a high and calms me down.

Even a year later that same 1mg gives me a high.

I have stopped a time or two within that year because I was afraid of withdrawal.

I never really felt any symptoms when stopping.

I am In the process of stopping again right now. I don't know if I am addicted, because I can just stop pretty easily without really thinking about it.

I think from here on out it will just be something I do here and there for a little high. Meaning a few times a month.

I have tried a lot of drugs in my life but never once came close to getting addicted. Just an every once in a while thing. Do it and walk away.

This is why I believe he can be just addicted to sub. A very small amount does give me a buzz similar to pain pills.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-28-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Typo