Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr_mad
Codeine addiction, any help please?
    mr_mad is offline New Member

Default Codeine addiction, any help please?

Hi, I have been on codeine for about 5-6 years now and I have decided its finally time to get off them.

A little backstory 1st.

I was a night owl staying up late when I needed to be up early for work the next morning. after taking one of my mothers codeine phosphate 30mg tablets one day for a headache I found what a wonderful boost in mood and overall feeling they gave me so I ended up using them as a crutch to help me get through the day when i was tired from staying up late. it started out as one in the morning but as time went on my body got used to it and I needed to take one in the afternoon to keep me pepped up to last the day, this turned into 3 a day and that's when I realised I must stop adding more doses on or ill be constantly upping my dose just to keep that feel good feeling. I managed on 3 a day for all this time just basically enough to function without a high and without any withdrawals.

Occasionally when I felt extra tired or ill I would take 4 in a day but this was an extreme rarity and usually ended up with me feeling overdosed, like i was in a haze of chemicals so I rarely did it as the negatives outweighed the benefits.

I have tried tapering off before but this ends up with unbearable leg twitches and sweating and I have always gone back to them begrudgingly.

The thing that's made me want to get off them is that just recently I have been having mixed feelings of withdrawal and overdose at the same time and the only thing I can think has caused that is that within the last couple of weeks the packaging for the Codeine has changed so I am thinking they have switched supplier of the codeine or the formula has changed?. I cannot find a balance of just feeling normal any more and my usual dose of one in the morning, one midday and one in the night leaves me feeling weird like I have taken too many, I have tried taking them at different times and only taking two but that's not working neither, I still feel like I have taken too many + restless legs.

I don't want to take any more at all so my only option is to go cold turkey but was wondering is there anything i can get to ease the restless legs? the hot and cold flushes and aches i can deal with its just those darn restless legs that feel like something is crawling inside of me. I do not want to take more pills to detox, rather take natural supplements i can buy over the counter.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long winded post.
    DravenDomnq likes this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Mad, welcome to the forums! Hyland's makes some products called "Restful Legs" and "Leg Cramps PM" that really help me with the RLS. They can be found here at many stores here like Walmart, grocery stores etc. I know they make another one as well, just can't think of the name of it, but they might help. Also making sure you're staying hydrated, lots of water/gatoraide and/or bananas/potassium supplements is important.

Lots of hot baths/showers and using heating pads on your legs can help as well. There's also a thread on here with the Thomas Recipe (I'm including a link for you) that has a lot of supplements etc. that can help. I'd avoid the benzos if you're not already on them, but other than that some great stuff that might help as well.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

CeeCee1985 is offline New Member

Hi Mad! How did you get on with the tapering? I myself have started a tapering course today. I was using nurofen + in excess of 32-40 tabs a day. I have done cold turkey from a tramadol habit of 1000mg + a day so I know I'm in for a rocky ride but I'm hoping it'll be bearable as a tapering course rather than cold turkey. Hope you're ok!

Toby3610 is offline Member

Hey,
    Just wanted to wish you all the best with your taper and withdrawal. I had a problem with nurofen + too. I am glad of the rule changes here in Australia as it forced me to look at my addiction. I was hopeless at tapering and had to go cold turkey. I was a constant relapser. I am getting counselling which has helped. I know that I found it was a combination of how much I was taking and how long I was taking it made the WD worse. I wanted to wish you all the best with your tapering and getting off it all.

Hi Toby! Thanks for your reply. Addiction truly sucks doesn't it! What are the rules changes in Oz? I'm in the U.K. and meds like Nuro + are still available OTC but I'm hoping that they'll stop selling codiene based meds OTC completely! How was your cold turkey? Mine from tramadol truly was utter hell and there's no way I can go through that again. I didn't think I'd be able to handle taper but it's the end of day 2 now and I'm feeling pretty good, plus I've not been tempted to cheat. I guess it's all about one's mindset isn't it. I have to admit though, life without chemicals is a little scary! How are you finding it? Hope to speak soon, I'm interested in your journey.

Elcey is offline Member

Hi Mad, welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of encouragement and advice from this site. I am over in the Need to Talk section as I found it gets a little more action, but whatever suits you! I'm no expert that's for sure but my drug is/was/is codeine as well so I can completely identify. I THINK the feelings you're referring to that are happening now might be that your body has really adjusted to the amount you were taking at 4/day. So you're almost in a state of constant withdrawal all thru the day? If you've been at it as long as 5 years, I don't really think it would be that you're overdosing yourself. I don't know about the possibility of the drug company changing the chemistry and guess it's just how your body is adjusting to your usage and crying out for more. For sure that signals a need to make a decision about stopping.

The amount you are taking now is not really that huge in comparison to some of the others on here. It may well be that you can cold turkey right from there and possibly really only have to deal with the mental part of it. I would think restless legs for 2/3 days, perhaps some diareha (sp?). Imodium for sure will help with that and like Draven said the Hylands Restful Legs is a life saver for many, including me.

I stopped cold turkey late Dec/early Jan from gosh, maybe 250 - 300 mg per day and it was rough for a few days but then started feeling better day 5/6. However, like a fool I decided that I could control them again. Again? Huh, never could, never will! Now I'm way past 300mg per day and planning my stop for next week

I hope you hang around and give the cold turkey a chance to clear you of the drug. Get the Restful Legs and Imodium and be glad it's not summer yet if as you say, you sweat while stopping.

Hang in and let us know how you decide to go. Best of luck always,
    Elcey

Hi Elcey. I also have thought previously that I could control it, how foolish of me! I'm on day 3 of taper and feel ok. I must say though it's taking some real self control to stick to the plan. I came away from the doctors with 84 x 30mg codiene phosphate, my weeks taper, which a week ago would have been heaven for me and would have lasted me maybe 3 days. However I'm very proud to say that I haven't cheated once! Don't get me wrong though, I've been tempted! I am determined to get off this demon drug though once and for all so I really am giving it my best shot. Have you thought about tapering rather than CT?

Elcey is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee1985 View Post
    Hi Elcey. I also have thought previously that I could control it, how foolish of me! I'm on day 3 of taper and feel ok. I must say though it's taking some real self control to stick to the plan. I came away from the doctors with 84 x 30mg codiene phosphate, my weeks taper, which a week ago would have been heaven for me and would have lasted me maybe 3 days. However I'm very proud to say that I haven't cheated once! Don't get me wrong though, I've been tempted! I am determined to get off this demon drug though once and for all so I really am giving it my best shot. Have you thought about tapering rather than CT?
    Over the last 2 or so years, I've had to try tapering almost every month as my supply was running out. But I was only pretending, ending up with zero pills for 2 days to as long as 10 days! What a life, constantly rollercoastering.

I know how much self control it takes - if you can do it, that's wonderful and may help in the long run with the w//d symptoms for you. I will be very interested in hearing how you're making out and send you lots of encouragement. CeeCee, you should maybe start your own thread and that way you'll have your own journey storied for yourself as well as others. There is lots of support here and I'll certainly watch for your post. It's the best way and then we can encourage mr_mad on his own thread too
    Elcey

Hey mr_mad, if you're seeing this, hope you're doing okay. Are you giving the cold turkey a try?
    Elcey

Hi Elcey,

You're absolutely right, I will start a fresh thread, I'm new to this so don't exactly know it works just yet