Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smilingstorm
Codiene addiction, kicking the habit
    Shep29 is offline New Member

Default Codiene addiction, kicking the habit

Hi guys,
    I have been on and off this forum a few times to have a nose but never registered until now. Yesterday I made a decision to change how my life is and get back to how I was. It's scary and I am feeling it right now but I refuse to give in.
    A little about me..... I have been on codiene/paracetamol since 2008/2009 due to bad periods initially, and eventual diagnosis of a fibroid and endometriosis, the dose rate being 30/500mg. In having surgery in a few months to fix this. Initially I did not have a problem, I took them when needed and that was that. I did not count days until my next prescription. For the past 4yrs I have been increasing my dose and obviously becoming dependant on these blooming pills. It started with a 100pk every 52 days, it's now down to almost every 7-10days. I try and extend my prescription by buying a lower dose from the pharmacy. I knew it was bad to keep taking them but the pain not taking them was harder than just taking a few pills, yes I was weak, I still feel like that now.
    The past 6months I have increased to taking around 12 tablets daily, by the evening I feel awful. The bloating pain, ache and sickness is enough and each time I wonder what the heck am I doing to my body for that 'short happy feeling'. Each time I would take some and say il stop tomorrow or find some excuse not to.
    The day before yesterday I decided to flush out my body as the bloating was getting far to much, yesterday I felt awful but I made up my mind now is the time to stop. I took 2 X 12.5mg around 12pm and in not proud but 2 X 30mg at 5pm, I was tempted at 7pm to take another 2 but managed to stop myself. I fell asleep last night and did not wake till 9am this morning. I felt less groggy but as the day has went on, I have noticed these flushes I see people talking about. I can cope with these as when I was on zolodex they were far worse. The ache pain in my back and legs however is bad I have taken 2 naproxen this morning and two normal paracetamol this afternoon, neither have done much. I am nearly on 24hrs clean of codiene, is it normal to watch the minutes go by?? I seem to feel the opposite of not being able to sleep, I am exhausted! I could lie in bed all day if I could. I wish I could just lie and do this nice and quietly with no one around but this is not possible in my house and probably a good thing.
    Tried to keep busy today and yesterday, my house must be the cleanest it's been as it keeps my mind busy.
    No one knows about my little secret, nor do I ever wish to open up to my family how I have managed to get here (we went through a really bad time as a family 2009 onwards, I just never stopped after things got better). I dread going into work this week, I use the most then as it 'helps' me in high pressured situations. It's not that I cannot cope with them, I just won't without the pills, well that's what my head is telling me. I read that people say day 3 is the worst, lucky for me that's the day I'm back in work I am determined to keep going.
    I am so grateful to this forum, it's nice to read others stories and successes with this horrible addiction, it makes kicking it seem like an option, I just hope this time I can beat it properly. I don't know what I am going to do about the pain I deal with each month, but I will manage I am sure, I have a few weeks for that yet or I wouldn't stand a chance right now.
    P.s nice to meet all of you, hope you don't mind me posting my story, well the start of it anyway

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Is it normal to watch the minutes go by?

Answer: It most certainly is on day 1!

Welcome to the boards! You are here during a few of us coming off of codeine and opiate pills. Don't be ashamed to admit anything. You made the decision to stop and we are here to help.

I had this false sense that the pills made me somehow more focused or energized. Perhaps it did the first few months or what have you.. But I'm telling you, it's false. It does not make you more efficient, aware or alive. It does the opposite. It numbs you mentally and physically. Pain is very real. Most of us are here because of extreme pain. The opiates sincerely become ineffective so you start using more and more. Your body stops producing what the chemicals are supposed to do. So there you are without any natural dopamine or energy and the pills don't work.

You can do this. I worked on day 3-5 and it actually helped those minutes and hours go by. I indulged in self pity and WD suckiness when I got home. If you haven't done so already, stock up on the Thomas Recipe. Or something similar. Bananas, Imodium or generic, Gatorade, multi vitamin, b complex and magnesium. Hylands offers an all natural "nerves tonic" (I used them in the morning the first week or so), restless leg and a "calm" (I like calm to sleep). You will most likely have tummy issues, restless legs (I put a fan on my feet), restless sleep (Benadryl or Advil pm may help) and goosebumps. I yawned and sneezed the first 10 day. You will most likely sweat a lot and get cold. But it is all very normal and doable! I promise.

Congrats on saying no more. I'm day 18 and can finally say that at 4:00pm today was the first time I thought about a pill. The thought came and went without any physical or mental need. I turned my radio up a little louder in the car and sang myself out of the thoughts!

Keep us posted as often as you need to. It's ok to vent or use the board as a journal.

Sincerely,
    Stormy
    Catrina likes this.

CarriesManolos is offline New Member

Hi Shep, you're brave to write your story and to admit you have an issue with codeine. It actually takes a lot to admit that to ourselves, and it's scary to imagine change because it becomes part of us.

I'm in a similar situation to you, dependent and not wanting to be. Only I'm still taking it, but working up to quitting within the next month. Can I just say a huge well done on going 24 hours - that is a lifetime when you're dependent so you should be very proud.

You're not alone with all of this, keep posting, *hugs*

Well after I hit 24hrs I fell and took another 2 30mg, so so annoyed but the discomfort was getting me. Today, however I am at just over 48hrs (6pm) today!
    My legs still ache on and off, worst at night and I am completely exhausted, back pain coming in and out also. Makes you think what these drugs do to you.
    I'm trying to still keep busy, managed to struggle through work for the past 2 days but much more productive today only failing slightly at the end of my shift so I was pleased with that. Trying to walk lots, the motivation is in my head but not my body.
    How long is this exhaustion going to last for? It's really noticeable, I can't sit down without falling asleep for an hour here and there......
    My mind feels like it's coming back, all the things I wanted to forget seem to keep popping into my head, it's upsetting but I feel more keen to do something about it than block it all out.
    You guys are right about the falling sleep at bed time tho, I find I get really restless but eventually fall to sleep.
    I know it's difficult to say as everyone is different but when do people generally start feeling back to normality? I could do with a goal to focus on!

/carriesmanolos I will tell you now, it is hard. Everyone is right about the first few days being the worst, you just need to keep telling yourself il be better tomorrow again and again. You will feel little improvements each day but I'm not there yet. I have considered taking another tablet but the thought of going back through this again or going back to where I was scares me enough to stop. Trust me you will feel better in your mind when you decide when you have had enough of these, it can take a long time to make a decision, I've been debating this keep for months and months.
    You have all the support here if and when you decide to give up, I promise you from how I feel right now, you will feel better for it in the long run (despite the hard road along the way)

Just realised I put 48hrs, meant to be 4 days this evening just passed ☺️

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
    Just realised I put 48hrs, meant to be 4 days this evening just passed ☺️
    Shep - congratulations on 4 days, you're doing great! Stay hydrated, drink lots of water to flush it out of your system! There is no timeline to when you'll feel normal again, as you already said, everybody is different! Stay the course, you may still have some ups and downs but eventually with time you'll get back to feeling pretty good! Energy is usually the last thing that returns after opiate detox! Hang in there... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-11-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks Ricky, I've hit day 5 and feeling better tonight, no sleeping in between finishing work and this evening like the past several nights though still tired. Actually enjoyed today at work and my drive home, I would normally have had several pills to get me through a day like today but I find I'm thinking about it a little less.
    Another walk tonight, legs still sore but a bit easier to get motivated and go.
    My only worry now is that this is coming up to my sore week, I cannot usually handle the pain without strong pain killers but I'm going to give it a go. I have some paracetamol with a sleepie combo which I might try instead and just stay off work and sleep it through rather than kick a massive dose of codiene (and a mixture of other non-addictive tabs my doc has given me) and fall back to where I was. I feel I am mentally strong enough to not take more than I need but I do not want to hit back to wd symptoms again - any ideas??
    I had a peep in my cupboard tonight, 40pills still there, I would have already had another prescription half taken by now and planning the next.
    This forum is fantastic, just reading through other people's posts of hitting their goals, understanding the highs and lows really makes you think positive. You guys really do a fab job, if I had not of found this forum and started reading I don't think I would have ever made a change. Thanks guys ☺️