Results 1 to 8 of 8
Cold Turkey Xanax
  1. #1
    Benzosaresatan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default Cold Turkey Xanax

    I was recently cut off from Xanax from my Dr because I am on methadone maintenance and he found out about it. I have been on Xanax for probably 4 years now .5mg as needed. I cannot find any doctor that will take me and it’s been 3 days now since I last had a Xanax. I do not abuse them and I even go some days without needing one. I have yet to have any withdrawal symptoms, but I feel as though they are imminent from what I’ve read. Could it be possible that I will not have withdrawals? If so, what do I do? No doctor will take me if I tell them why my previous doctor stopped seeing me. I have hypertension so I am worried about hypertensive crisis if I do get withdrawals and I have had seizures when I detoxed from alcohol in the past. I don’t know what to do...I’ve already tried a lot of Dr’s in my area and they are not taking new patients or will not take me under these pretenses. I read withdrawals start within a day of last dose, so does this mean I am lucky and have none?

  2. #2
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benzosaresatan View Post
    I was recently cut off from Xanax from my Dr because I am on methadone maintenance and he found out about it. I have been on Xanax for probably 4 years now .5mg as needed. I cannot find any doctor that will take me and it’s been 3 days now since I last had a Xanax. I do not abuse them and I even go some days without needing one. I have yet to have any withdrawal symptoms, but I feel as though they are imminent from what I’ve read. Could it be possible that I will not have withdrawals? If so, what do I do? No doctor will take me if I tell them why my previous doctor stopped seeing me. I have hypertension so I am worried about hypertensive crisis if I do get withdrawals and I have had seizures when I detoxed from alcohol in the past. I don’t know what to do...I’ve already tried a lot of Dr’s in my area and they are not taking new patients or will not take me under these pretenses. I read withdrawals start within a day of last dose, so does this mean I am lucky and have none?

    Benzosaresatan, welcome to the forum. You are in a very tough situation indeed and I'm very sorry to hear that. I know you said you were taking .5mg xanax "as needed" for almost four years but can you be any more specific on how often you were taking them? On "average" how many would you take in a day and on "average" how many days out of the week/month were you taking them?

    It is entirely possible that you will not experience any or only very mild withdrawal symptoms from your xanax use? In my opinion, if you make it through the next couple of days without any detox symptoms then you are most likely in the clear? It is also possible that the methadone is masking the xanax withdrawals? If you find yourself starting to experience withdrawal symptoms from the xanax then my recommendation would be to go to the emergency room and tell them what happened and how you were cut off cold turkey from the xanax. My guess is that they will at the very least give you an anti-seziure medication and possibly a long-acting benzo as well? The ER knows how dangerous it is to stop benzos cold turkey, they know there is a risk of seizures so they should treat you?

    Maybe this is a blessing in disguise? Long-term benzo use is not a good thing so hopefully this all works out for your benefit?

    If you don't mind me asking, what's your plan with the methadone? How much do you take and for how long? Do you plan on tapering off? A lot of people taper their methadone down to 30mg or less then make the switch to Suboxone therapy? Suboxone is much easier to taper off of than methadone is! There are quite a few people here on the forums who have done just that and they are now living a clean, sober and healthy life, substance free! If you would like, we can help you? At the very least, please keep us updated on the xanax situation? Best of luck to you! God bless us all!

  3. #3
    Benzosaresatan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi Ricky. I average .5mg per day. Occasionally taking 1mg, occasionally taking none. I guess just assume .5mg per day for 3-4 years. I am on 100mg of methadone and have been on methadone for over 10 years at least. I currently don’t have any plans to detox from anything. Mostly because when I detoxed from alcohol, it almost killed me. I went to a rehab center and everything. When I got sent home after a few weeks, I went into seizures and had to go to the emergency room. Thankfully I was able to quit alcohol. I would like to come off everything, just not right now. The thing is that my doctor and my methadone clinic both ok’d the Xanax use. A new company has purchased my doctors business and immediately after they took over is when I got the letter that I was discharged from his office for non-compliance. I just can’t understand why it is legal for them to do something like that after he’s been prescribing me these stupid pills for years, he already knew about the methadone, and knows there is a great risk for dependency and severe withdrawals. I had been telling him I stopped methadone, but it was a lie because at that point I was in too deep for both medications. Do these doctors not know you can’t just ceceede with the snap of your fingers? I also take clonidine for my blood pressure, I read that it may mask symptoms as well. It is the next day and I am still symptom free, hopefully it stays that way.

  4. #4
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benzosaresatan View Post
    Hi Ricky. I average .5mg per day. Occasionally taking 1mg, occasionally taking none. I guess just assume .5mg per day for 3-4 years. I am on 100mg of methadone and have been on methadone for over 10 years at least. I currently don’t have any plans to detox from anything. Mostly because when I detoxed from alcohol, it almost killed me. I went to a rehab center and everything. When I got sent home after a few weeks, I went into seizures and had to go to the emergency room. Thankfully I was able to quit alcohol. I would like to come off everything, just not right now. The thing is that my doctor and my methadone clinic both ok’d the Xanax use. A new company has purchased my doctors business and immediately after they took over is when I got the letter that I was discharged from his office for non-compliance. I just can’t understand why it is legal for them to do something like that after he’s been prescribing me these stupid pills for years, he already knew about the methadone, and knows there is a great risk for dependency and severe withdrawals. I had been telling him I stopped methadone, but it was a lie because at that point I was in too deep for both medications. Do these doctors not know you can’t just ceceede with the snap of your fingers? I also take clonidine for my blood pressure, I read that it may mask symptoms as well. It is the next day and I am still symptom free, hopefully it stays that way.

    The clonidine for sure will help with some benzo withdrawal symptoms. It's definitely a good sign that you are still symptom free and like you said, hopefully it will stay that way? Just remember if things do get bad don't hesitate to go to the ER and let them know what happened with you getting cut off the xanax, they'll be sure to help you? Please keep us updated on how things are going with the xanax over the next couple of weeks? When and if you decide that you want to get off the methadone there are members here that can help you safely and effectively do that? Take care... God bless us all!

  5. #5
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    The clonidine for sure will help with some benzo withdrawal symptoms. It's definitely a good sign that you are still symptom free and like you said, hopefully it will stay that way? Just remember if things do get bad don't hesitate to go to the ER and let them know what happened with you getting cut off the xanax, they'll be sure to help you? Please keep us updated on how things are going with the xanax over the next couple of weeks? When and if you decide that you want to get off the methadone there are members here that can help you safely and effectively do that? Take care... God bless us all!
    Has it been 5 days now with no xanax? How do you feel, any withdrawal symptoms? Update when you can? God bless us all!

  6. #6
    Benzosaresatan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I am still symptom free... Does this mean I am out of the woods??? I am so confused about this. I was under the impression these were the worst withdrawals there are.

  7. #7
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benzosaresatan View Post
    I am still symptom free... Does this mean I am out of the woods??? I am so confused about this. I was under the impression these were the worst withdrawals there are.

    Out of the woods, it sure seems that way and you might have just dodged a huge bullet?

    You are not wrong, benzos are by far one of the the worst drugs to cold turkey detox from! It's not only dangerous to stop taking benzos cold turkey but the severity and the length of time the withdrawals last are insane! There is only one way to get off benzos safely with the least amount of discomfort and that is an extremely slow taper of around 5-10% reductions in medication every 7-10 days! The Ashton Manual is the gold standard for benzo tapering, the Ashton Manual can be found through a simple Google search online!

    In your particular situation I'm thinking that the methadone and clonidine played a big part in why you didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms from stopping the xanax abruptly? But whatever the reason you should be very grateful and count your blessings! Keep us updated if anything changes and/or if you need any help, advice or support with anything else? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Out of the woods, it sure seems that way and you might have just dodged a huge bullet?

    You are not wrong, benzos are by far one of the the worst drugs to cold turkey detox from! It's not only dangerous to stop taking benzos cold turkey but the severity and the length of time the withdrawals last are insane! There is only one way to get off benzos safely with the least amount of discomfort and that is an extremely slow taper of around 5-10% reductions in medication every 7-10 days! The Ashton Manual is the gold standard for benzo tapering, the Ashton Manual can be found through a simple Google search online!

    In your particular situation I'm thinking that the methadone and clonidine played a big part in why you didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms from stopping the xanax abruptly? But whatever the reason you should be very grateful and count your blessings! Keep us updated if anything changes and/or if you need any help, advice or support with anything else? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

    How are you feeling these days? Any symptoms ever arise from stopping the xanax? Leave an update when you get a chance? Take care... God bless us all!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22