Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy888
  • 1 Post By Ming23
Coming off codeine
    Andy888 is offline New Member

Default Coming off codeine

Hi guys, this is my first post on here, and just looking for some advice. I've been using codeine for around 2 and a half years now, 15mg (cocodamol) which also obviously contains paracetamol. I made a decision last week to finally make an attempt to get off it after failed half hearted attempts. I managed to pluck up the courage and see my gp today and we're working towards slowly tapering off it. I'm pretty optimistic and really want to get off this awful drug. I've tried previously but withdrawal has always got the better of me. Ive been prescribed some medication to help with stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I currently take between 10-14 per day, so we're working at gradually reducing. The main thing that worried me When I went to my doc is that I need to go back for a blood test to check my Liver, which has got me worried. I know paracetamol can be very toxic to the liver so it's got me fearing the worst. So just a few questions for some of you guys on here. How you cope with withdrawals? And as I'm tapering down does that mean the withdrawals won't be as bad as if I were to just stop? Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy888 View Post
    Hi guys, this is my first post on here, and just looking for some advice. I've been using codeine for around 2 and a half years now, 15mg (cocodamol) which also obviously contains paracetamol. I made a decision last week to finally make an attempt to get off it after failed half hearted attempts. I managed to pluck up the courage and see my gp today and we're working towards slowly tapering off it. I'm pretty optimistic and really want to get off this awful drug. I've tried previously but withdrawal has always got the better of me. Ive been prescribed some medication to help with stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I currently take between 10-14 per day, so we're working at gradually reducing. The main thing that worried me When I went to my doc is that I need to go back for a blood test to check my Liver, which has got me worried. I know paracetamol can be very toxic to the liver so it's got me fearing the worst. So just a few questions for some of you guys on here. How you cope with withdrawals? And as I'm tapering down does that mean the withdrawals won't be as bad as if I were to just stop? Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Hey Andy888
    Such a lucky number! Congrats on deciding to quit the codeine. Great that your doctor is on board. I think a taper is always preferable to just jumping off at high doses.
    The best thing for wds is water and staying hydrated. This flushes out the toxins and keeps us from getting dehydrated. Dehydration causes many uncomfortable symptoms (like chest pains and anxiety) even if one is Not on drugs. So drink gatorade and water and then more water. Eat moderately and foods that can be easily eliminated. If you need help the other way, use Imodium. We all certainly did!
    Some folks take vitamins and supplements. I'm not sure about that but i am certain that what you eat makes a diff in how your guts feel. Codeine tends to bind people up inside. That may change as you lower your dose. But if you need help, try Smoothe Move senna tea.
    That's about it for help with wds. Talking to others is invaluable. Invaluable! Saved my life...
    Happy New Year! You can do this!
    Lucky 888
    kdunkley likes this.