Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Mike1966
  • 1 Post By Mike1966
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 2 Post By blackwilliam
  • 1 Post By bcrews5
Coming off Suboxone after only 9 days of using??
    bcrews5 is offline New Member

Default Coming off Suboxone after only 9 days of using??

Hi all, first time posting anything. My name is Brandon and I just turned 20 in February. My question is, is it possible to come off Suboxone with little to no WD after only 9 days of using? I took about 4-5 doses of 2 mg per day. I was prescribed the suboxone after checking into a hospital to detox off of dxm. I had used dxm heavily for 5 months straight. I was in the hospital for 4 days and got flushed out, then the doctor prescribed the suboxone, and me not being aware of the drug, took it as prescribed. Now that I've done research on it and see that it is most commonly prescribed to people with an opiate addiction, I feel like I shouldn't even be taking the medicine. Because I've researched and read that DXM withdrawals aren't even relatively bad, that is if you do even WD. I'm starting to think the doc prescribe the meds just for $. Because he won't take insurance and the meds are quite costly. Can I quit taking the suboxone?? P.S. I have abused opiates in the past, but that has been a solid year and I no longer even crave the pills anymore. I just stopped taking them. No weening off or anything. Other than the DXM, and an occasional small MG opiate, I haven't taken anything else in the past 14 months or so. So, should I be on the suboxone?? Any and all response will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Brandon,

I'm not familiar with DXM in terms of what, if any withdrawal symptoms there are. Sorry. As far as the subs are concerned, I agree that he never should have prescribed them for you. Am I reading your post correctly that you are taking a total of 8-10 mg of sub per day (4-5 2mg strips)? That's a hefty dose of sub. Even long term "H" users usually don't need that much. Over the course of 9 days, you'll have quite a bit in your system.

If I were you I'd do my best to just stop them to see what happens. The first few days you're apt to be just fine because they have a very long half life. Stay close to these boards and let us know how you're doing. I really do think you should try to just stop them immediately to see what happens. You may OK. Either way, you absolutely shouldn't be taking that much at all. Ever. See what happens and if things are bad, we'll get you back on at a very small dose, just enough so that you are comfortable and then taper you off in short order.

I am wanting to be your mother and to tell you to back away from all these drugs before it's too late. Read some threads here and you will soon see the horror you are signing up for if you continue on this road. There's a way out and we'll help you but I hope you decide this is your last ride.

Peace,

Cat
    1moretime and blackwilliam like this.

Mike1966 is offline New Member

Hi Brandon,

I had to do a google search for DXM. I understand that it is a cough syrup normally abused by teenagers to get high. According to web sites, there is no real physical dependency but stopping suddenly can cause some minor withdrawals.

The suboxone, on the other hand, will give you absolutely horrible withdrawals with continued use. You will become absolutely physically dependent on subs if you continue. If I had to compare the two drugs using animals, the DXM is like petting a pretty mouse because you like the mouse and the suboxone is like being eaten by a bear because you tried to pet the bear. (stop petting the bear Brandon.)

Abusing DXM will likely lead to other more serious drug use. You need to rethink your approach to life and what it means to have fun at your age. Brandon, I know its harder to be a young person these days and you have to be strong to stay away from drug use. Much harder now, then in my younger days.

Sorry, my reply may have a negative overtone to it and that is not what this site is about. I am much older than you and it appears my father mode has kicked in a little. I would come off the subs as soon as possible. There will be other more knowledgeable people replying with awesome advice shortly.

My humble opinion Brandon, get off the subs as soon as possible. Then seek out counseling. Continued use of subs will lead to wasted years of your life.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-15-2016 at 06:40 AM.
    1moretime likes this.

Mike1966 is offline New Member

Looks like Cat already has. Brandon, you should take her advice. Good luck to you
    1moretime likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hey Brandon,
    Well I had a reply written to you, but apparently it was to negative to put up because it was deleted. My anger wasn't directed at you, but the doctors who are so clueless about this drug that they would prescribe it to you.
    I also had to look up this drug and shocked to find it was cough medication.
    I'm glad you searched us out and were brave enough to tell your story. Although you didn't say, I'm sure that the subs are giving you a feeling of euphoria, kind of like an opiate would. But huge difference they are 10x stronger..
    Please give some thought of just trying to stop the subs. If you have some w/d's we could walk you through a taper plan that is pretty painless if done correct.
    Whatever you decide, please know as a long term user (15 yrs) it's a rabbit hole you don't want to be in. You have your whole life ahead of you. Please choose to stay clean and back away from these subs. I can't image what it's like to grow up in this day an age with all these drugs so available to you. Please know we only want to help whatever route you decide to go, keep posting.
    Blessings
    Michelle
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-15-2016 at 06:58 AM.
    Mike1966 likes this.

blackwilliam is offline Junior Member

Brandon

I recently quit subs after 2 1/2 years and from my experience i think they are pure poison and much harder to get off of then pills. They made me have bad nerves and i just wanted to hibernate in the house most of the time, They will change you without even realizing it although you might think everything is fine. I think your doctor is an idiot for even perscribing them to you in the first place because of your situation. Please don't go down this road and take the advice given to you on this site. good luck man.
    1moretime and Ming23 like this.

1moretime is offline Member

Hi Brandon,
    I'm 2 days off subs after a year long journey. I jumped off at 2 mgs. Most people try to get to a lower dose to jump. But I didn't have a choice so here I am. I'm not in to bad shape as of yet. I have some symptoms. But nothing I can't handle. I agree with Cat. Try to just not take any and see what happens. Since you've only been on a very short time you just might be ok. If not there are people here to help you taper down. This place is awesome and the people here truly care about you even though they don't know you personally. Good luck. And I hope the info helps.

Hey all, thanks so much for the replies. It feels good to know there are people out there who genuinely want to help, and it sucks that the majority of the time it's not tna doctors. Yes, referring to the dosing question, I have been taking approximately 8 mg per day. I was told to break the tablets into 4's and to take one 2 mg tablet every 4 hours. It angers me greatly that I was put on this drug and made to believe I needed it. I'm pretty determined to quit all drugs, as I have a family that I lost and have no shot at getting back unless I'm 100% clean. And I want to be. I'm glad I researched this nasty drug. I am thinking about just taking tiny tiny amounts of what I have left to try that sort of taper, because I just got s new job and I start tomorrow. I don't want the WD to ruin my job.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome Brandon,

I'm not familiar with DXM in terms of what, if any withdrawal symptoms there are. Sorry. As far as the subs are concerned, I agree that he never should have prescribed them for you. Am I reading your post correctly that you are taking a total of 8-10 mg of sub per day (4-5 2mg strips)? That's a hefty dose of sub. Even long term "H" users usually don't need that much. Over the course of 9 days, you'll have quite a bit in your system.

If I were you I'd do my best to just stop them to see what happens. The first few days you're apt to be just fine because they have a very long half life. Stay close to these boards and let us know how you're doing. I really do think you should try to just stop them immediately to see what happens. You may OK. Either way, you absolutely shouldn't be taking that much at all. Ever. See what happens and if things are bad, we'll get you back on at a very small dose, just enough so that you are comfortable and then taper you off in short order.

I am wanting to be your mother and to tell you to back away from all these drugs before it's too late. Read some threads here and you will soon see the horror you are signing up for if you continue on this road. There's a way out and we'll help you but I hope you decide this is your last ride.

Peace,

Cat
    Hey Bcrews
    I'm with Cat-just stop the subs now! Overkill, imho.
    Post how you're doing...

No subs as of yet today. Don even crave the things. The only thing bothering me is the worrying. Worrying about living in a situation with somebody who is an enabler. And worrying if I'm gonna have WD or not, other than that I feel fine. Going to go on my run later, maybe they will relieve some stress.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

If i read u right, you took five doses of 8 mg subs?
    Just stop now. No problem you can't deal with. Get some Imodium.
    Drink a lot of water. You should be ok.
    Living with an enabler while you're trying to quit is rough. Better to stay somewhere else for a while if u can.
    Good for you getting off the subs before you develop a Big problem. Subs is overkill for your situation!
    Hang in there!

Gonnawin is offline Member

It seems to me that after such a short run with subs, your withdrawal should be on the lighter side.
    It is terrible that doctors will just hook people on this for no good reason other than cash in their greedy little pockets.
    Good luck to you, and now you should know to stay far from this drug!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Brandon,

Now you have plenty of replies and everyone is in agreement. Don't take anymore of the subs and don't worry about terrible withdrawals. I see you're starting a new job. Good for you! If you get symptoms that will prevent you from working, then your plan can be tweaked but don't tweak it by yourself. Hop on here and send out an SOS and let someone guide you. Those things will sneak up on you if you're not very careful.

Don't even take a crumb. Stop and wait and see and if symptoms appear that you can't handle, we got a Plan B.

Peace,

Cat

I'm gonna completely stop and keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for the help and support! Everybody be blessed.

Anonymous Guest

Hey Brandon,
    Just checking in to see how your doing today. I'm so glad others stopped into your thread to show their support.
    Although I have to say, some people have had a really negative experience with subs, many others will tell you they helped them get through some tough times. Myself included. I was on opiates for 10 yrs before I got on subs and finally got my life straightened out. Now, that being said, my doc, (like yours) was VERY uneducated about the length of time and dosage. Now that I'm on only 4mg instead of 24 mgs I feel that I have a great chance to be free of everything.
    So, just wanted to clear up for new people that may be reading this..If subs are used for a short time in small dosages, it can be used to save peoples lives.
    In your situation, your doing the right thing by just dropping them.
    Please keep us posted on your progress Brandon. You can do this.. no problem!
    Michelle

ps:I'm trying to educate people about subs. They aren't evil just misused.
    One of our senior members who is unavailable right now would want people to know that. Although I don't think explained it as well as he does.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-16-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Just a quick update. I got out of the living situation I was in and have moved in with family who cares and isn't going to bring me down. As far as the subs go, I left them demons behind by flushing every single one. So this is day 2 of no subs, feel fine. Just a little anxious but I've had anxiety my whole life. And depression as well. But I am back in my home state and now have insurance so I'm able to see a PCP. The one I had before down here was prescribing me benzos and pretty much whatever I asked for, so I've decided to try somebody knew. Because I want to be free of all drugs. Will keep updating daily, and once again thanks for the support guys. Honestly don't know if I'd stil be using the subs or not if I hadn't found this page. Be blessed everybody.

And to reply to your post Michelle, yes, I agree subs can help people if taken appropriately. But after finding out that I didn't even need to be on them in the first place, I decided it was time to stop. No high is worth never being able to see your family. Stay blessed everybody.