Currently in hospital awaiting back surgery. Need advice!
    Inbidnit is offline New Member

Default Currently in hospital awaiting back surgery. Need advice!

Hello all,

I am recovering drug addict to begin with (cocaine, alcohol, weed). One month ago I started experiencing some major lower back pain. After treating with rest and OTC meds, I went to see my doctor and asked for "something stronger" and was prescribed 5-325 Norco. The pain got worse and worse and progressed to sciatic pain down both legs in addition to foot drop from the nerves being impinged by the herniated disc in L3 L4.

I was then prescribed oxycodone 5 mg, used that whole bottle, then asked for Norco 10mg. When I received the Norco 10 mg, this was the first time throughout this process I started taking more than the required dose on the pill bottle, however I only did that for about one week.

I am currently in the hospital under care on full bed rest awaiting surgery. Since I am in the hospital I cannot manage my own pain meds, and most days I cannot eat, drink water or take pills oraly until they can confirm the surgery will not be that day.

For some reason, the staff doctor has decided to stop my regular use of opiate pain meds, and put me on non-steroid non-opiate anti-inflammatory med. Of course, at any time I could see the pain is unbearable and they would give me what I need/want.

I really want to tough it out. But I also can't eat or drink water and this is really hard. To be honest the pain has subsided a little bit. I'm pretty sure I just want the opiate meds because I'm becoming dependent. I know I will be getting these opioid meds again post surgery, and I'm afraid they pain may be to much to not use them.

Just hoping I can get some feedback on this. My plan is to definitely quit the opiate pain meds as soon as the pain is really gone, but of course I am on the verge of surgery and there will be pain from the recovery post-surgery.

Thanks!
    Inbidnit
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-23-2017 at 09:26 AM.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inbidnit View Post
    Hello all,

I am recovering drug addict to begin with (cocaine, alcohol, weed). One month ago I started experiencing some major lower back pain. After treating with rest and OTC meds, I went to see my doctor and asked for "something stronger" and was prescribed 5-325 Norco. The pain got worse and worse and progressed to sciatic pain down both legs in addition to foot drop from the nerves being impinged by the herniated disc in L3 L4.

I was then prescribed oxycodone 5 mg, used that whole bottle, then asked for Norco 10mg. When I received the Norco 10 mg, this was the first time throughout this process I started taking more than the required dose on the pill bottle, however I only did that for about one week.

I am currently in the hospital under care on full bed rest awaiting surgery. Since I am in the hospital I cannot manage my own pain meds, and most days I cannot eat, drink water or take pills oraly until they can confirm the surgery will not be that day.

For some reason, the staff doctor has decided to stop my regular use of opiate pain meds, and put me on non-steroid non-opiate anti-inflammatory med. Of course, at any time I could see the pain is unbearable and they would give me what I need/want.

I really want to tough it out. But I also can't eat or drink water and this is really hard. To be honest the pain has subsided a little bit. I'm pretty sure I just want the opiate meds because I'm becoming dependent. I know I will be getting these opioid meds again post surgery, and I'm afraid they pain may be to much to not use them.

Just hoping I can get some feedback on this. My plan is to definitely quit the opiate pain meds as soon as the pain is really gone, but of course I am on the verge of surgery and there will be pain from the recovery post-surgery.

Thanks!
    Inbidnit

Don't go there if you absolutely can. You tore through a supply of 5's, tore through a supply of 10's, IV in the hospital, and a big bottle for 1-2 months on the way out you will be stuck on opiates. Please please please nip this in the bud if you can, and just try to leave the opiates completely alone if you can.

I have a lot of back issues so treating the source of the back pain is #1. Then I would move onto your plan for getting off the opiates. The one thing I will say from experience is this: tradiational opiates can sometimes make pain feel worse than it is without them. The other thing is that I would try steroid injections before moving to the big stuff like surgery. I would ask yourself if you need the surgery or need the surgery to get more meds. And I don't mean to be a jerk when I say that. Knowing what I know now, I would have switched to subs and get another injection a long time ago if I knew I would feel this much better. But I am also still struggling through some pain, but not like it was before.

Tony1967 is offline New Member

Default Dont do it

i have had three back surgeries due to four herniated disc and i can tell you that what the pain meds end up doing to you is way worse than the back problems.I was on oxy for 7 years,started on 10mg ended up on 160mg a day.I starred on suboxone today to get off the oxy,let me tell you the withdrawls are no joke.The one thing i did discover is that alot of the pain i thought i was having in my back,legs and feet was actually caused by the oxy not my back.Pinched nerves,herniated disc and all that goes with it is no fun but youll feel alot better after the surgery,the pain can be controlled with otc meds after that.Please believe me,don't get sucked in,it will ruin your life if you do.