Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree343Likes
DAY 1 through DAY 10 going COLD TURKEY
    JoJo05 is offline New Member

Good luck! It does suck but very doable. I'm on 22 days and so glad I'm not a slave to those pills. Hang in there, it's well worth it.

eyenstyne is offline New Member

You are one day ahead of me, E. I am 50 years old and have been using off and on for 26 years, the past 14 years I never took a day off. You are spot on with there not being some magical switch where all of a sudden you feel all better. I am done with that garbage though and I have followed your thread since day one of you going cold turkey. I did the same thing a day later than you and it has been a heck of a ride.

I probably should have gone into a rehab facility, but I knew it was only a matter of time before I started to feel better. but it took far longer than I thought it would. I'm still not 100%, but taking into consideration my age and years of abuse, I am probably doing way better than I should be. LOL! Thanks for sharing your journey, it definitely helped me through some EXTREMELY dark days.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Anonymous Guest

I vowed never to post, but yet here I am doing the very thing I said would not. Efil, your thread has spoke to me like no one else. I have lurked for weeks. This afternoon, I came across your thread. It took me a couple of hours to go through from beginning to end and absorb what was being said. Congratulations. I do hope you keep posting, even as you get better every day, because people need to know the real experience. The self observations you make or made are something one doesn't realize until you see it in print. Again, please continue to journal your experience. It's very comforting.
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Efil Pleh is offline Member

54 DAYS IN:
    Almost 2 Months

I'm in the "What Happen & What Do I Do About It" stage.

My days are filled with "now what" thoughts. As stated prior the withdrawals are gone and the energy is coming around. I plan to start the exercise routine soon. Many weeks ago I had to push myself to get out of the house and just walk, now I need to push myself to start running and working out, I know this is the only way I'm going to stimulate my mind and body even further. I feel this will bring me back online completely.

My target month to be me is still March, this will give me 90+ days of recovery. My goal afterwards is to regain my career and life in the fullest way. I know this will be a process and will take years but I am determined to make it happen. The lifestyle will return and I will enjoy it, unlike the time spent in pain pill coma.

Don't get me wrong this is not easy but well worth it and like I said before my worst day off pain pills is better than my best day on pain pills. I'm sure that is hard to comprehend if you are still taking the pills but once you quit and make through the tough part you will totally understand what I just said.

Taking the pills took a toll on my confidence, I now have a stand off emotion to engage with business, I know its just anxiety of the somewhat unknown and once I'm in the ball park I will start swinging for the fences with regained confidence.

My take is when on the pills we become alone without knowing it and our social skills are diminished. Even though we may think the pills give you great social skills the reality is they just take them away bit by bit until you just want to stay in the house and rarely see anyone and after doing that for a period of time your social skills and interacting with others become a bit awkward if not completely hermit. An expended period of time in that mind set will create a norm which will be a challenge once away from the pills, its just all part of the process and it as everything else will pass.

Take it until you make it and never give up!
    E.

DAY 55 IN:

During the acute withdrawals I forced myself to eat and it help, the problem is I became "SnackMan" and gained 15 lb. in 55 days, I eat everything and anything and it all taste real good, haha! Now I feel like I'm about to burst!

A few days ago I decided to do something about it and went to GNC and asked about supplements, the super fit salesman with Helagood hair and a great tan and probably six-pack abs (didn't like him) suggested I dietary / energy / mind focusing and leading weight loss program. I have followed this program for the last several days and have more energy than ever and feel pretty good, a little edgy but good. My snacking has gone away and my appetite is no longer as aggressive, my stomach is almost flat again. Thank goodness because none of my clothes fit!

I guess the point here other than sharing my bloated days after stopping pain pills is the supplement suggested worked and really gave me the energy I was missing. I would not recommend taking an energy supplement prior to getting to the point I'm at now, I think it was perfect timing. Anytime before this I would have been dealing with challenges of getting back to somewhat normal and the supplement would have just confused things.

I have started a workout regiment and running and with the added supplement the workouts and running are not as hard and I'm actually enjoying it. Maybe I will turn into one of those people I have always envied, you know the type, the ones who hit the hotel gym prior to starting the business day? I remember those mornings while I was trying to find my pills and waiting for them to kick in so i could start my day, then take more so I could continue my day, then taking more so I could give a presentation, then taking more so I could go out for dinner with colleagues and then taking more so I could turn myself into a walking zombie!

So Glad those days are over!!!!!

I am so looking forward to the next chapter and like the way it's starting already!

If you are still taking those mind robbers, life robbers and zombie makers think about stopping and make a commitment, create a plan, set the date and educate yourself and prepare for success. It works and it's all good! 55 days to get your life back is nothing and you will think the same when you become you again too.

Never give up and take it until you make it!

Kind Regards,
    E
    cvrelics likes this.

whoopitoo is offline New Member

Well I haven't started a thread but this is day 24 for me and I'm feeling great today. I don't have any urges for anything I give thanks to a higher power greater than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by whoopitoo View Post
    Well I haven't started a thread but this is day 24 for me and I'm feeling great today. I don't have any urges for anything I give thanks to a higher power greater than myself.
    You are doing great!

Believe me it only gets better!

Normal life will dish out its challenges but you will be able to deal with them and move forward.

Never give up and keep pushing, I am proud of you!

E.
    whoopitoo likes this.

Tomorrow will be 60 DAYS IN, 2 Months depending on the month but I'll say 2 full months!

I am still not 100% but know I will be soon, its all coming back slowly. I reflect back on the days when taking the pills and wounded why I let it go on so long? The pills take over your brain, something I thought would never happen to me. Those pill are super, super dangerous and will strip life from anyone and everyone if they let them!

The unnatural energy and euphoric feeling they provide temporarily are not worth it. While on them full stride no one could tell me they were bad, I actually thought they were helping cope with life's hard times and giving me extra smarts too progress at business but in reality I was whacked! So whacked I couldn't even see what they were doing to me and my family.

I find myself today with no everyday friends, limited confidence and constantly working on my self, which I guess is normal and good but my work is just to get to the point of being me. There is no magic to this except time. Time is what brings it all back. Everyone is different so each time period is your own, but it will come back.

Our society is impatient and wants things now and I am a perfect example of wanting things now. Waiting and working everyday just to be normal is a tough gig, but the only gig right now. I would love to say 3-7 days with days 3-5 being the worst was my case but it was not. Thirty days was my case and each had challenges. There were times when I thought I was out of the woods only to have the woods surround me once again and last for days. I would not give up and there was no way I was going to take a pain pill. I push through 2 full prescription deliveries to my home and refused each one sending them back to the pharmacy.

That will power didn't come over night, it was the preparation, education and determination that got me through it. I realized the bottom-line to these pills were complete disaster. I read so many posts of people suffering for years trying to quit but just keep going back and it makes me feel so bad for them. I wish there was something I could do for them but the reality is they are the only ones who can make the decision to quit and commitment to never go back.

The problem is so serious I would recommend life changing events to get away from the pills. Move, take family medical leave from work, do what ever it takes to never live that way again!

I can only offer my experience and hope it's a positive read for all suffering. I have made it and am happy and looking forward to tomorrow morning waking up feeling good and actually hearing the birds and not wanting to shoot them to shut them up, Haha!

I remember struggling to get that first cup of coffee and that first pill so I could think. Not anymore, I wake up happy and ready to go, the coffee is just a boost. My life is just beginning again and I will take full advantage of this second chance.

If you are stuck in the pain pill wheel of heck, stay strong, create a plan, prepare yourself, educate yourself, commit to yourself and forgive yourself, then just do it and take it until you make it!

There is great life after pain pills, really!

Kind Regards,
    E.

whoopitoo is offline New Member

Hi, Sadmommy13, how are you doing today!....never give up, you can do it, believe and trust your inner self.

road- 2 - recovery is offline New Member

Wow your post touched me to the core! Especially when you said millions are dead and others only wish they were. Wow. That's amazing and so true. Thank you.
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Your so inspiring! Way to go on the delivery rejection!!
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Default I love this thread!!

Had I not ran into this thread and Efil's story I wouldn't be able to claim my handle road-to-recovery
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Default I love this thread!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration
    Efil Pleh likes this.

DAY 61 and life without pain pills is good, better then with, really!
    Iluv2smile and whoopitoo like this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Wow!

Congratulations!

It was hard I remember your first days ...
    But you are doing it!!
    I am so glad you updated your thread..
    Keep coming back..
    Iluv2

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Wow!

Congratulations!

It was hard I remember your first days ...
    But you are doing it!!
    I am so glad you updated your thread..
    Keep coming back..
    Iluv2
    Thank you.

It was harder taking pain pills than quitting pain pills, taking them makes hard ongoing, everyday, every minute and so on, quitting them presented a short time period of hard and then the sun came out and stayed out.

It was so worth it!

E.
    Stuckinthemud and Iluv2smile like this.

sd8899 is offline New Member

I,m on day 2 and the pains are bad and I can't even lay in the bed for 5 minutes without jumping out of my skin. it's 12:30 am and I know there won't any sleep in the near future. I'm just trying to take each day at a time and each hour as well. The Pain in my back and legs are horrible. Just ready to get through this and be done with these pills for good.
    cvrelics likes this.

LifeSaver77 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Efil Pleh View Post
    Thank you.

It was harder taking pain pills than quitting pain pills, taking them makes hard ongoing, everyday, every minute and so on, quitting them presented a short time period of hard and then the sun came out and stayed out.

It was so worth it!

E.

Boy, that's true! I look back now, and I cringe thinking of the things I've said while using - to friends, coworkers, strangers, most I can't even remember. I THOUGHT I was a better me - a more social and enhanced version. In reality, opiates create isolation, as drugs become your company. I made a lot of mistakes at work - when sober, I was astonished at how I wasn't "dialing it in" as well as I thought I was. Thank GOD I caught myself.

Like the song says, "check yourself before you wreck yourself".
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Melina123 is offline Senior Member

Dear E
    I devoured ur story in one sitting. Wow!!!!!!!!! Im very inspired by your courage and determination. How is it going for u now? Keep up the good fight brother. Im going tto my first NA meeting tomorrow. We all need each other. As Maya Angelou said "When u know better u do better". Thanks so much for sharing. Im sure u helped more people than u realize!!

Bri9195 is offline Member

I am a 46 year old male have taken 50 to 60 mg of oxy or norco for 10 years I want to stop but I am scared. I am going to try and take a week off of work to detox. I have about 40 pills left. Should I cold turkey or taper.
    My email is ntexascowboys@hitmail.com
    I am looking for support and someone I can tell my story to!!!

E.
    I have been following your posts and they help me but yet scare me. Your strong and should be proud of yourself.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bri9195 View Post
    I am a 46 year old male have taken 50 to 60 mg of oxy or norco for 10 years I want to stop but I am scared. I am going to try and take a week off of work to detox. I have about 40 pills left. Should I cold turkey or taper.
    My email is ntexascowboys@hitmail.com
    I am looking for support and someone I can tell my story to!!!
    I'm not trying to sound bossy, but if you start a new thread in the Need to Talk forum you'll receive many responses. This thread belongs to another member and we look each memebrs name up when we want to post to them. We won't find you here usually, but will on your own thread! Hope this helps. And you CAN do this if you want it bad enough!!!

-Randy

Thanks Randy. Not bossy at all I will try that. I appreciate your help.

69 days in:

Things have been going good, good in perspective to how they were going 69 days ago. I force myself not to look back, not to regret and not to feel bad for what happen, I look forward and keep using to make new and better memories. Things are good but still not back to normal and I know its going to take more time. Finding the constant of normal is coming, not here yet but coming.

I have good and not so good days but the sun is always shinning and i can see it, something I could not see before. The lack of energy is challenging and bothersome, but at least I'm not having mood swings every 30 seconds. There is bit of depression but nothing like it was when on the pain pills.

Rebuilding ones life is a challenge in itself and when you add the recovery process the plate is full. The only comment I have as the follow is both combined sounds like a mountain to climb and it is but the difference is I now have the mind set, the tools and the vision.

90 days has always been my goal to get back in the saddle and I'm still pushing to meet that goal. The mind and body will make good on its own time, the only thing I can do is live healthy and feed it with quality in food, social activity and self motivation. I didn't become dependent on pain pills over night, so getting back to normal will not happen over night either.

Keep Pushing,
    E

Efil I just wanted you to know that you have been a true inspiration for me. You have pushed me to work harder to reach my goals and although I don't have the courage to go cold turkey as you have I now feel like I have the power to accomplish the goal that I have set for myself thank you again and I can say from the bottom of my heart that I love you for what you've done for me
    Efil Pleh likes this.

I just got three take-home bottles of methadone from my clinic today. But I also bought a box of Hylands restless legs from the local Walmart. I got these three take home so that I could see how long I can go without taking any of it and if need be how little of it I can take without feeling ill I'm going to put in effect the vitamins and minerals that you've been taking and the Highlands restless leg to see how successful I will be over the next three days
    Efil Pleh likes this.

cvrelics is offline New Member

E I just spent the last 2 hours or so reading your triumphant story, I would like to say thank you for the hope. I am rather petrified at the moment but I will stay tuned in and let everyone know where I'm at. I have to get started and soon. God bless you
    Efil Pleh likes this.

JoJo05 is offline New Member

6 weeks now for me and its a day by day thing. I have got the urges over the past week. Even as much of dreams that I relapsed. I feel you E with the depression and anxiety. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger. You guys keep truckin and looking forward to more posts.
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Congratulations E..
    The depression and lack of energy can be challenging at best..
    But NOW you have choices..
    That is a miracle in itself..
    You can choose to rest, keep on going whatever you decide at that moment..
    You are no longer pill driven and your life is yours for the taking and the making...
    Not many addicts get that freedom...

Can you imagine where your depression and sadness would be if you would have just kept using?

Enjoy your choices , you have inspired many people on here..
    I know it is getting better..
    One thing fo sure..
    Keep using it never gets better..
    Stay clean it always gets better!
    Be patient with yourself you have worked so hard..
    You deserve the best!
    Thank you for continuing to post!
    Iluv2
    Efil Pleh likes this.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast