Day 4 of tapering off Oxycontin
    Determined222 is offline New Member

Default Day 4 of tapering off Oxycontin

Well here I am. Never posted on any forum ever before. I have been reading all the support that Robert and Melanie have been giving to everyone on this site, and you guys are awesome people trying to help others through desperate times!

I got prescribed Oxycontin 10months ago to see me through (ie.help me function) while I was on the waiting list for spinal injections. Finally I came to the top of the list and got my injections. I think they have helped alot with my back pain, and now I want to stop taking the evil pills that cloud my brain and make it nearly impossible for me to accomplish anything at all (so much for helping me function! Less pain but no brain).

I spoke to my GP and he gave me a tapering plan. He assured me that my body would not even notice going from 10mg to 5mg for the first taper as I was still having some of the drug. He has obviously never been on this stuff. I feel very very anxious and have a constant uncomfortable 'craving' background feeling (like when you really need a cigarette). I am also having periods of sweating.

I have read on here that exercise helps, but I can't do much as I suffer from Chronic Fatigue. I have started today doing a pilates dvd that I have. Will low impact exercise help make endorphins the same as running, aerobics etc?

I know that I have been on a relatively low dose, and am fortunate that I have never had to increase it. I also know that others out there are going through alot worse than I am.

I suppose what I am wondering is, how long before my body feels ok with the new lowered dose? My next taper is due in 3 weeks, and the dose will halve again. Will I keep feeling unwell after every taper? Will the final step be as awful as some have described even though I am tapering down?

I am most nervous of how I will cope with the mental health effects, as I am not that strong and suffer with depression and anxiety anyway.

I am having trouble finding advice for people coming off low doses of this stuff, any advice would be much appreciated.

Determined222 is offline New Member

Just got accused of trying to make my husband have a bad day when I tried to talk about what I am going through . I guess he wasn't in a supportive mood! Am feeling really low and like I'm in this alone.

anylabtestwaco is offline New Member

Default RE: Day 4 of tapering off Oxycontin

I guess he wasn't in a supportive mood! Am feeling really low and like I'm in this alone.

AnabelCraft is offline New Member

You're not in this alone.

There are people that care about you.

This forum is here for support.

But it is also important to have some other form of live support. I find that physical contact, and meetings with real people are great.

Best of luck on your journey.