Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dsh12345
  • 1 Post By dsh12345
Day 4 without Dihydracodeine and feeling so much better
    Krawl is offline New Member

Default Day 4 without Dihydracodeine and feeling so much better

Hi all. New here, but wanted to say Hi and wanted to help inspire others to kick the habit whilst seeking a little support myself.

I had been taking 8-12 30mg dihydracodeine tablets a day for worn discs in my spine and a moving plate (moderate chronic back pain, daily), and have had a prescription for around 5 years.

I've actually got a new potential job which I need to kick the habit for, so I booked a week off work (self employed) and decided it was time to kick the habit!

Day 1-2 was hard as I haven't been given anything to help with withdrawals or cravings. Managed a walk with the dogs on day 2.

Day 3 was utterly horrendous; I've had chronic diarrhea, headaches, stomach aches, hot and cold flushes, sweats, insomnia, loss of appetite, severe back aches and pains, you name it! But Day 3 all this felt enhanced by about 10!

Day 4, I woke up with a good feeling. I took my Preworkout and went to the gym to meet a friend. We did 1h10m of intense weight lifting plus a little cardio to cooldown. I have to say it really helped until I had my liquid protein shake and felt a little sick! But after a shower and some proper food, I felt better.
    My gf and I went for a walk with the dogs this afternoon and now I'm chilling in bed with the animals and Final Fantasy XV on PS4, which is helping.

I've had support (texts, etc) from family and close friends who are aware of my situation and that's been great. I've tried to sign up on here yesterday but my thread hasn't been accepted

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope without that relaxed feeling every night (that codeine gives) but once the withdrawals are over I will go to the gym more to keep myself busy.
    And I'll ask my lady for a helping of Dopamine until I get into a habit of not taking anything

I have used alcohol in the past and I got off that quite easily and never looked back, I'm not keen on that so staying clear of it for now too.

I've even got my prescription of dihydracodeine right here next to me, so I can say no and feel in control of my life. My friends say I should flush it but not sure I'm ready to let go yet. Besides I might need it someday for the back pain?

Anyone who's struggling to come off the drug but wants to, you just have to get through the first 3-5 days and then it's up hill from there. Obviously finding ways to distract yourself from the cravings will be the hardest part and you just have to keep active. Perhaps go to some drug abuse anonymous meetings if you think it will help?

Cheers all

Day 5 things have got worse. I've had a stomach ache for around 24h and got very little sleep last night if at all.

Would it ruin things if I had a tiny amount of codeine? Say a couple of Solpadine plus dissolvable tabs? About 25g of Codeine tops? Or will I just end up having more? I just want these withdrawals to end. I feel like utter >>>>

Day 6 is absolute rubbish. I just want a fix. Luckily flushed away what I had this morning.
    I'm just wondering whether a couple of Solpadine tablets would help me get through this? But nobody is replying

Just want to curl up and die today!

Elcey is offline Member

Hiya Krawl, just noticed your new thread and your codeine usage 8-12 of 30mg per day was JUST like mine. I've been on this forum for a few months now and every month at refill time thought I'd be able to control it, and end up using them almost fast as I could and whammo, same thing again.

I'm sitting here on day 7 and although we all go at our own speed, I'd have thought you be approx. where I am but you seem to have backpedalled a little the last couple of days. Give it time. I wonder if you tried to do too much the first couple/three days (actually it looked like way more than I could have accomplished!) and now your body is saying slow down for a minute, my detoxing self needs to catch up.

Certainly the first week is a struggle. Try googling The Thomas Recipe and following what's proven for many others to be beneficial. People always advise to don't do the benzo part of it unless that's part of your norm. I was told that once you've put the codeine (in our case) down that you don't want to go playing with bits and pieces of it - like 1/2 pill for instance. Your body can't get clear until whatever stops going in I don't know what Solpadine is so can't help there. I wonder if your day of toilet problems has led to the lingering stomach ache. Have you eaten anything? For sure keep yourself hydrated, use Gatorade or some such, give yourself a pat on the back for what you're doing and keep reading other threads and post, post, post. Hylands makes a couple of wonderful products that help with restless legs.

I got a chronic back issue as well so believe me, it sucks thinking you're coming off the pills, but what about the back pain!!?? But most people on here advise that after some (?) period of time, we can learn that Aleve, Ibuprofen or other over the counter products can work to help.

Longish post, sorry but hopefully this gives a little info to you along with a hearty WELCOME!! to the forum. I do not know why it's been so quiet the last few days, but it happens. More will chime in for you and they'll correct any misinformation IF I've led you astray.
    Hugs from Elcey

This is the 10th time I've written this.

Day 7 and I'm about ready to chop my legs off. I've tried valerian but not helping. I'm not sure if they do the other product in the UK that you mention.

I though this would be over by now. It was never this bad when I came off codeine in the beginning, I don't remember experiencing anything but diarrhea. Oh how lucky I was.

I'm off the tramadol, that was only really just taking the edge off.

I just want this nightmare to end

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Krawl, welcome to the forums! You might have to look online for some of the stuff on the Thomas Recipe that Elcey mentioned. I know I have to get the L-Tyrosine from Amazon that's listed on there. Also, Hyland's makes a couple products called "Restful Legs" and "Leg Cramps PM" that might help. Would be better to try that than cutting your legs off They make another product too, just can't think of the name of it, but those are 2 that have really helped me!

The nightmare will end, and one week down already is awesome!! Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon!!

Thank you Draven, I'll check those out tomorrow, as everywhere is closed now

Elcey is offline Member

Strange Krawl as this withdrawal from the codeine has felt the worst for me as well. It's the insomnia that's taking the toll. If you have a herbal/natural type store near where you live, they could probably recommend something for your legs. I wish I could speed some Hylands to you thru the wires but . . . In the meantime, do you have a heating pad? Or even taking a hot shower or bath even better might help them settle a bit. I feel for ya for sure!

People say that codeine is one of the lower forms of opiates, but withdrawal is withdrawal as far as I'm concerned. I hope you're getting some nutrition as that'll help.

I'm sending some encouragement and good thoughts out to you. Keep posting and reading.
    Elcey

DAY 9 now and it really should be over by now ^^

Elcey is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
    Ah thanks Elcey, my Hyland restful leg is due some time today! So maybe I'll be able to settle a little better for the weekend.

I think I'm actually currently suffering from the flu as well, as my partner is all bunged up, runny nose and run down with no energy too! And she doesn't take any drugs prescribed or otherwise :P

So I think I've had some really bad luck in that while my body was in shock from withdrawals, I got myself a serious case of the flu. I simply don't have any energy so I feel confined to these four walls.

I'm on Day 9 now and it really should be over by now ^^
    Krawl, this is my Day 9 too and I agree completely with you!! However I think we still have a ways to go. Too bad about the flu, that's for sure. Hopefully you've got soups, juices and other easy nutritions in the house. I do not have any physical w/d symptoms anymore, except for incredible anxiety these couple of days and of course insomnia. I read gobs about others having the same issues and realistically KNOW I'm not alone in this, but in the middle of stress or the middle of the night, it certainly is a very lonely place.

I'd suggest you give it another day or so and then decide if you should visit your doctor for the flu. This year there seemed to be more than normal longer-lasting variations of it. Have you got a heating pad or blanket? Wrap up and I surely hope that the Hylands gives you some relief. Let me know how that works. Sometimes I just have to walk around the house. Today is raining a lot so scrap the outside walk; perhaps the mall for a walk later.

Take care Krawl and check back with progress/problems. For now, Elcey

Elcey is offline Member

Just staying in touch Krawl - how are you making out? This is the end of my day 13 (yours too right?) and it was actually kind of good. Afraid to say it too loudly and of course I still haven't tried to sleep, however . . . The insomnia is lingering and still causes anxiety, but I must have slept a little more as I wasn't so dragged out and even got a walk and some shopping.

How's the flu bug - has it settled. I hope you're getting a little comfort in your legs by now. Check in when you can. Thinking of you.
    Elcey

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

When I quit CT last year I made it three weeks and relapsed.

You are going through the same exact problem I went through.... I thought it was gonna be 3-6 days and then one day I wake up feeling completely normal again and feeling great..... not true.

The first 3-5 days are intense suffering yes, but really that was the easy part.

The hard part is week 2-8. Sleep is the last thing to return. It's not unusual and probably the norm to have sleep difficulties for a month, and after that you can finally start to get 5-7hours a night.

The fatigue also lingers for awhile. I remember two weeks out and I was feeling OK just lying there, but not motivation to get off the couch. Walking across the living room took a huge amount of effort. Again, the acute pain was all gone, but the fatigue and lethargy lasted for weeks.

The stomach cramps also lasted about 1-2 weeks. Diarrhea during the acute 1-5 days yes, but after that no more diarrhea, but yes to occasional stomach cramps and just mild nausea.

This is why they say the easy part is really the WD, and the hard part is staying clean. In the weeks 2-4 your brain is still recovery. You went from massive amounts of pleasure chemicals supplementing your brain to zero. It will take a couple weeks to a couple months to get your brain trained to feel good without the help of opiates. Exercise is the #1 treatment for this. The "runner's high" or so they say is a sudden rush of endorphins (which is what opiates release) due to pain/exercise and helps your brain reboot its natural endorphin production. Exercise is tough when you feel this way, but if you can exercise then that'll be of tremendous help.

I started feeling better... alot better weeks 2-3 in terms of fatigue/energy but I had intense cravings. I told himself... OK I will just take 5mg oxycodone here and there to get my energy back and then just stop that small dose it won't be hard. Well, you can guess what happened I had a total relapse as after my first couple supplies of 5mg oxycodone were done I needed more, and more, and all that was available were 60mg morphiens I would crush up and take like 4-5 a day and bam back on hundreds of mg a day.

So again, days 1-5 will be intense pain in the acute WD, but you don't magically wake up feeling fine one morning. It's a slow gradual recovery over weeks to get your energy back, your mood back, and your GI/appetite back. Day 6 and onward will feel nothing like the pain of days 1-5, but it's just a slow drag like a constant mild-moderate flu zapping your energy. It will get better day by day.

Not realizing the struggle after the acute WD is why I relapsed. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to go back to opiates to feel normal again. You are almost at the finish line now. Your brain is training itself to have normal energy and normal mood levels again without the help of a bottle of artificial brain happiness feeding it happy chemicals whenever it needed a boost.

Hang in there, post often, journal about each day if you can. Ask lots of questions. Hopefully there will be more ppl around and responding when they realize you are struggling. That is when the replies really start rolling in to help you stick to your goal.

DO NOT RELAPSE. YOU ARE AT THE FINISH LINE OK.

Remember... the high you got from flooding your brain with opiates was temporary and artificial. We knew 100% that the reason we got high was because of the opiates, and that it was short lived and would eventually go away once the opiates wear off.

Depriving your brain of opiates is the same thing but in reverse. The bad feelings are temporary, and gradually go away over time. You WILL NOT feel like this forever. You will go back to feeling the same normal you felt before you ever used opiates. Keep telling yourself that this downtrodden feeling is temporary and artificial just like the high feeling was temporary and artificial. Your brain will eventually adjust to this. Have faith in yourself and realize the finish line is in sight. You are so close right now.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-28-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Elcey likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

It doesn't matter that codeine is a weak opiate if you take a bunch of them in high doses.

It's like saying when I crave chocolate when I diet I only eat Hershey kisses instead of giant Hershey candy bars... but then you find out that when I say I eat Hershey kisses its 200 kisses a day. Doesn't really count anymore as being a small dose of chocolate if you eat 200 right?

Sleep is the last thing to return. Look at any of the threads of ppl that have journaled their detox journey. It is not 5 days of pain and wake up morning of day 6 and sunshine and everything back to normal. It is 5 days of horrible pain, followed by 2-6 weeks of gradual recovery with mild, flu-like nausea/fatigue/lethargy/depression.

It took you what.. years of slowly building your brain's tolerance to opioids such that you can take doses that would kill opioid naive ppl and you yourself not even feel anything, right? You can't undo those years of building tolerance in just one week of no opiates. It's a gradual and slow return to normal functioning after 1 week of intense pain.

Hang in there.
    Elcey likes this.

Elcey is offline Member

Hey Dsh, both posts were excellent and spoke to me in a way I could understand - thanks friend. And I hope Krawl will see them too - we are at the same date. As an aside, I HAD been contemplating returning to my codeine if only to catch some sleep for a couple?? few?? nights. It has definitely been rough in that regard.

So thanks I'm glad I caught this; will remember your words when (if) I am dragging tomorrow Rethinking my tired-brain decision.

I've been watching yours and someone else's threads re sub tapering which I know nothing about, however any progress like you have is good for me for encouragement and hope. Carry on we will!
    Elcy