Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes
Day 6 oxy withdrawal question?
    BBHappy is offline Junior Member

Default Day 6 oxy withdrawal question?

Hi, this is my first post. Been reading quite a bit on this forum. I was on OxyContin for the past 10 years (120-160mg per day). I stopped c/t and now I am on day 6. I have been taking immodium as well as vitamin C only. Just wondering why I am not feeling crazy withdrawals? I do have a little RLS at night. Have been getting 4-5 hours of sleep.
    Is it true that some are just luckier due to genetics? Just curious.
    Not planning on ever touching them again.

Thank you for your answers.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Happy
    Welcome to forum. Congratulations on 6 days clean. Why wonder about not having crazy horrible withdrawals. Believe me count your blessings... Stay active keep hydrated enjoy your new clean life free from the garbage. Again welcome and congratulations...
    Beefaroni7272 and OKC-26 like this.

Thank you for the response.
    I guess my reason for the question is:
    Is it possible my symptoms are simply delayed? Will it hit me in the next couple days?

Thanks again.

Fighting this battle in my head constantly.

Just reading on this site has been a huge help for me. I see everyone talking about days 1-3. I’m just really anxious that I’m going to feel the w/d at some point. Not sure if that’s possible.
    I chewed the oxy’s. 40-60mg in the morning and 80-100mg in the afternoons for the past 5 years.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Congratulations and welcome!! At day 6 you should be through the worst of the physical stuff. You should slowly start gating better. Be thankful that you haven't had it bad. You're one of the lucky ones.

How much Imodium have you been taking daily? I only ask because it is technically an opiate and binds to the receptors in your stomach. You don't feel any effects from it because it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. It can lessen w/d symptoms if taken in high enough doses. There are stories out there of people taking massive amounts and then becoming addicted to the Imodium and having to taper off it after their detox. Just be careful with it. Use it as needed and directed and you'll be fine.

Congratulations again and welcome. Keep posting and keep reading.

Have a great day
    Beec
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hi Beef,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I’ve been taking 1 immodium in the morning and 1 at night for the past 6 days.
    Do I need to stop?
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Another question.
    Does anyone believe in the mega dosing of Vitamin C to help with withdrawals?

Thanks again.

Are you taking pills or liquid form?

Oops. Meant to say I was on the oxys for the past 10 years. First 5 years, I was taking it as directed. Last 5 years was when I started abusing (chewing).

The pills of immodium Ad

If you're just taking 2 a day you're good. Don't worry about it. Those horror stories are from people taking like 30+ pills/day.

Whew. Don’t need to get hooked on any other meds.
    Do you suggest I stop taking them now since I don’t feel much w/d symptoms?
    Or is the immodium the reason I don’t feel symptoms?

Thanks again Beef

Hard to say. Everyone heals differently. But my thought process was the same as yours. You don't want to trade one for the other. If you need it, take it. If not I wouldn't. If I was you I'd just be thankful and ride with it. U lucky dog you. Go play the lotto. Lol
    OKC-26 likes this.

Your not kidding. I started the oxys because I was a pro athlete and have had 9 major surgeries on my knees. What started all of this was that our therapists/doctors would rather hand out pills to get us back into the game rather than deal with injuries.
    Wasn’t until I retired that I realized I was addicted to the meds.
    This is my 1st time quitting. It will be my last!!!!!

Another question,
    I know many on this board suggest going to meetings/therapy. I’m very hesitant to do so. Is it absolutely necessary in order to win this battle?

Ouch on the knees. Sorry about that. I got lucky, just got a messed up back and a few broken fingers from football. I was hesitant about going to meetings for a while. I kept on hearing about the immense benefit from other members. So I figured I owe it to myself to at least check it out. The first one I went to was a joke. The most clean time anyone had was like 6 months. Nobody took it seriously. So I found another meeting and it was great. I'm really glad I went and found another. It's given me another layer of accountability. And I look forward to going to meetings. I'd definately suggest giving it a shot. All you have to lose is an hour of your time. And who knows it may be just what you're looking for.

Thanks again. To be completely honest, not sure I’m ready to get to the meetings just yet. Took me everything to even post on this forum.
    I will definitely consider it though. Think it might be the thought of someone recognizing me (not bragging). Scares me even thinking about it.

Hey BBHappy,
    The imodium is helpful if you need it. If your not experiencing any stomach or bathrooms issues why continue using it. If you get stomach and bathroom issues than take as needed. Getting face to face support for some of us Addicts is crucial for our recovery the getting and staying clean. There's a reason we all came to this forum. As far as anyone outing you well its an anonymous program there all there for the same reason the disease of addiction. Addiction has no boundaries from the low class to the upper class awful stigma for a disease that is now a huge epidemic. Only you know when your ready to reach out for support... One addict helping another... Keep posting we are all here to support you...
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Thanks Lvg
    Don’t know if I’m just fooling myself, but I really believe I don’t need counseling. Is that just an addict talking?
    Can a person be successful without meetings/counseling?

Quote Originally Posted by BBHappy View Post
    Thanks Lvg
    Don’t know if I’m just fooling myself, but I really believe I don’t need counseling. Is that just an addict talking?
    Can a person be successful without meetings/counseling?

Well I can only share my experience...
    Everyone is different... Ask yourself can I control my drug use? Is my life unmanageable because of the drugs? Everyone is different. The disease of addiction Obsession and Compulsion. Why did we seek out this forum wasn't because we needed friends... We come here desperate for a way out. For me anyway. I did I'm almost 19 months clean off the garbage. With help not only here on this forum but from other Addicts feeling and going through all I was. Only you know what you truly need. Hey everyone can use a little therapy . I'm not sure why you started opiates and continued on the same insane path for years. Give us a little background on what why how much you were using? Pain or numb feelings?I can only share my experience strength and hope with you. But glad your here and proud of you..
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hey Lvg,
    I will repost from above regarding my story.

I started the oxys because I was a pro athlete and have had 9 major surgeries on my knees. What started all of this was that our therapists/doctors would rather hand out pills to get us back into the game rather than deal with injuries.
    Over the past 5 years I have been taking 40-60mg in the morning and 80-100mg in the afternoon (crushing and swallowing)
    This is my 1st time quitting. It will be my last!!!

Hey Lvg,
    I will repost from above regarding my story.

I started the oxys because I was a pro athlete and have had 9 major surgeries on my knees. What started all of this was that our therapists/doctors would rather hand out pills to get us back into the game rather than deal with injuries.
    Over the past 5 years I have been taking 40-60mg in the morning and 80-100mg in the afternoon (crushing and swallowing)
    This is my 1st time quitting. It will be my last!!!
    Yep I read it I guess I meant prior to that.. You referenced genetics? Not just the oxys any mind mood altering chemicals. Me too had an accident prescribed drugs my doctor was my drug dealer. that led me into actively using for 40 years just God awful. This is my first time quitting the junk. Just for today my last. It really doesn't matter how the drugs got in you swallowing snorting injection pretty much what the drugs did. The disease of addiction is progressive and fatal. I know for me I had to get honest with myself I knew I had a problem and wanted to do something about it. I'm not sure if any of this is helping answer your questions?

Oops.
    I was wondering if there was a reason as to why I wasn’t getting any severe withdrawal symptoms. I am only taking immodium and vitamin c.
    Wasn’t sure if maybe I will get hit with these symptoms soon. I’m am on day #6.

Thanks for your responses.

If that's the only meds you are taking and you have no withdrawals thank the lord.
    No physical or mental issues. Be grateful just go about your life without the drugs. Don't think worry or question it eh.. Enjoy what's right in front of you and worry about tomorrow Tomorrow..

Only smoked a little green. Taken anti inflammatories. Started with empercets, then Percocet and finally oxys

Thx Lvg.
    Your message just hit me.
    I’m so scared that some w/d symptom will hit me soon. It cannot be that simple. If it was, why didn’t I stop sooner?????
    I guess I’m just pissed at myself for not quittting earlier because I was so scared hearing stories about other people’s struggles.
    Why am I worried about what “might” happen?
    Just go and live free....finally.

Thank you again.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Prior to the surgeries? Empercets I don't think they prescribed them since the 70's... Any mind mood altering chemicals today?

Thx Lvg.
    Your message just hit me.
    I’m so scared that some w/d symptom will hit me soon. It cannot be that simple. If it was, why didn’t I stop sooner?????
    I guess I’m just pissed at myself for not quittting earlier because I was so scared hearing stories about other people’s struggles.
    Why am I worried about what “might” happen?
    Just go and live free....finally.

Thank you again.

And if they do just think of it like you have the flu. This too shall..
    Never give in life free from the drugs is amazing...

I was taking the Empercets in the late 90’s. The pink pills. Those were given to us by our medical staff. But I’ve never taken any other mind altering drugs.
    Thanks for your messages.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I was taking the Empercets in the late 90’s. The pink pills. Those were given to us by our medical staff. But I’ve never taken any other mind altering drugs.
    Thanks for your messages.
    Hi BB and Welcome!!

OK. First things first so I'll get to the important stuff. I love professional sports. I mean. I really love them so I'm gonna share some info but only if you'll tell me your real name, your home address, and cell phone number I've always wanted to be Besties with a pro athlete. Just kidding! Well. Unless you WANT to share that info. No. No. Just kidding.

Not everyone gets intense withdrawal symptoms. There's that. Then there's the simple fact that we all respond to discomfort or pain a little differently. I may have pain that will put me in bed for a month while for you, that same level of pain might not even slow you down. True. Right? Another factor is that those who are in better condition physically have a better shot at having minor symptoms versus intense symptoms for those of us who are physically pitiful. Then I'll mention that withdrawal symptoms are kinda like ordering from the al a >>>>> symptom menu. Restless legs were far and away my most distressful symptom, but I never got nauseous. Some symptoms you can guarantee, like diarrhea while others have some them and not others.

With six days clean, you have endured that worst it's going to get. I more question for you...where those oxys extended release? If they were, that may have delayed the onset of the symptoms but NOT by six days. I suspect that if you put couple of the reasons I gave to you, you've dodged a bullet. I hope you're right and you NEVER have to do this again. Aside from the obvious, you may not or probably would not get off the hook so easily.

Are you an addict? Only you know that answer even if the answer doesn't come immediately to mind. I know you said that the reason this has gone on for so long is that you were afraid of how you'd feel when it was time to detox. I am definitely an addict. If there is a pill around, I would have sold my soul to have it. Even admitting that, ONE of the reasons I remained active for so many years was that I was terrified of detox. It doesn't get easier with practice, let me assure you. I'd relapse because I'm an addict, and I'd procrastinate getting clean because I didn't want to detox. Here's a question that can help you decide. Did you take your pills because you had them and not because you had to? Were you able to delay or not think about taking your dose until you began to feel the onset of withdrawal? Early withdrawal symptoms might include feeling an all over achy feeling, headache, and beginning to get restless.This is classic addict behavior. We take them because have them and because we can. We don't need another reason.

Keep posting.. I'd like to know how you're doing.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thanks Cat for your response.
    In the beginning I was taking the pills just to continue playing. I remember having knee surgery and playing 4 days later.
    My knees are done. Awaiting knee replacements.
    When I retired truly believe I still needed the meds, but I never waited to feel the pain. There was a period of time where I would panic when I knew I was running out of the pills. I know I was depending on the meds to perform, but it quickly turned into an addiction.
    I was chewing the oxy ER.
    I believe a big part for me was after I retired after my 10+ year career. It was the period of adjustment. So I turned to the pills to dull the pain and to “feel good”.

I’m just really bothered as to why I kept taking them when I didn’t need to.

I have some major guilt. Almost wanting my w/d symptoms to be worse so that I feel how bad it is and stop me from ever thinking about pills again.

The fact that I don’t feel much w/d scares the heck out of me.
    Will I take them again cause it’s not bad to stop???

Am I seriously just one of the lucky ones?
    Or is it because of all my injuries throughout my career and dealing with so much pain is the reason why I can handle these symptoms better???
    Heard so many horror stories and I just don’t understand.
    But like some have said, stop wondering why and just be thankful.
    Thanks for listening.
    Appreciate your feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast