Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By SecretScot
  • 2 Post By SecretScot
Dihydrocodine to subutex. Help and advise please
    SecretScot is offline New Member

Default Dihydrocodine to subutex. Help and advise please

Hi there. So here is my story, which I am sure is familiar.

I had a misplaced epidural during the birth of my child a decade ago. This caused a bulging disc, and I was prescribed 2X 30mg dihydrocodine, 4 times a day. So 8 in total. I stayed on this dose for 3 years then decided I should stop, and discovered I was physically dependant. The withdrawal was horrific and scared me so much, I just kept taking the tablets to avoid it. Then my mum died suddenly, and slowly my usage increased. I'd take 3 instead of 2, until I was taking 3 of them four times a day. And buying online to top up my script. They started causing horrific gastro problems. Agonising stomach cramps, awful constipation, and I lost a shed load of weight.

At this point I had been on these awful little pills for 9 and a half years.

I've spent months and months reading everything I could, and eventually got the courage to tell me GP.

We decided subutex would he best for me, as I have lots of children and run my own business so being ill for ages isn't doable.

I took my last dihydrocodine dose, early hours Monday morning, in prep for my clinical prescribing appointment on Tuesday morning, hoping to avoid precipitated withdrawal. Unfortunately, I stupidly took Imodium to stop my diharrea, not realising that it is an opiate! So when I told the nurse she said it would be better waiting til today. So after a seriously rough couple of days, I got my first 8mg dose at 9.15 this morning.

It's now 11.20 and I feel scarily better. I have none of the awful symptoms I had this morning. My stomach seems to be settling and I've stopped being scared to leave the bathroom.

So this is where I am. Scared. Nervous. Anxious. Hopeful.

Has anyone got any advice or been in my situation? I am seeing my doctor on Friday morning to see where I am at.

Thanks!

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Secertscot, welcome to the forum. Many here have followed Robert's sub taper plan and followed correctly have been successful. Keep posting and reading we are all here to support you.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...tml#post436333

12yearsopioiduser is offline New Member

Hi secretScot.

Welcome to the forums

Please don't take this wrong way and is purely my own experiences and thoughts on the matter, but from someone who has a lot of knowledge of dihydrocodeine I think you are making a mistake going on to subutex from 240mg Dihydrocodeine. I know withdrawal is hard but a lot of it is in your mind and from that dose I'd highly doubt you would withdrawal longer than a week and because you stayed on a specific dose meaning the mental withdrawals shouldn't be too bad.

Please don't follow a slow taper of Subutex for a relatively low addiction to opiates. If you are going to use subutex use it for only a few days and at a low dose no higher than 1mg. 8mg is insane for your dose. I went on 2mg subs from a 1500mg dihydrocodeine and 500mg tramadol addiction.

I would push through the withdrawals using immodium and clonidine and non opiate medication if I was you.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help

Hi there. And thabks for your reply. I didnt word my post very well. I was taking 3 x 30mg 4 times a day. So 360mg total. I tried tapering and getting off myself, and i could not do it. My plan is to try and use the subutex to get me througb the worst of the withdrawals (which i have to say are horrific and entirely not manageable with my life as it is currently), then stop it. Does it not work like that? I assumed if I took it for the week or 2 im sick, in ever decreasing doses, id be ok.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey Secertscot everyone is different. You have to really want this for yourself I know I sure did I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Subs are crazy strong a whole other beast. Only you will know what path to choose, if you tried cold turkey if you tapered down off the garbage and have not been successful subs maybe an option. I will tell you there is no magical pill to take to make the withdrawals go away. We have to go through some pain from all the junk we put in us. You will not die but if it were easy we wouldn't have ended up here. Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you..
    Beefaroni7272 and SecretScot like this.

Thank you. It doesnt help that the way im prescribed (in UK) means daily supervosed doses, where I have to take it crushed. So I dont have any way to split doses etc. The nurse seemed pretty set in how it should be done, so im not sure how open they would be to following my ideas.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

12yearsopioiduser is offline New Member

Out of interest what has the nurse advocated in terms of how long to take them and at what dose? Taking 360mg of dihydrocodeine would equal 36mg of morphine. Buprenorphine is 60 times the potency of morphine so 0.6 subutex would equal your dose. Obviously it is more complicated than simply converting potency levels as one is a full and the other is a partial agonist, however, I hope it gives you an Idea of the potency of subutex. 2mg is the maximum you should be taking even that I don't think you would need.

You want to take as little as possible until your withdrawal symptoms have alleviated. That means taken segments every two hours, unfortunately being from the UK also I know the set up involved. Having to take a supervised dose is pointless as you simply walk out of the door when it has dissolved so hardly safeguarding.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-22-2018 at 02:32 PM.

She hasnt given a time line as of yet. I go back tomorrow. Which will be day 3 on 8mg. I assume we will chat about it then.

So I saw nurse today, i have 1 more day supervised, no more crushing though, then im on take home, so will be able to choose my dosage and taper. Im so relieved.

Fraggle76 is offline New Member

I am happy to have found this thread. I have been taking Dihydrocodeine for 2 years gradually I have worked up to, upto 25-30 x 30mg a day. It is making me so miserable and the more I take the more I try to take more to make me feel happy!! I have had a terrible couple of years and these pills were like my friend but no longer I realise that. I have got myself to the drugs and alcohol team where they are starting me on Subutex. I finally see the psychiatrist next week to get started. I’m nervous though. I don’t know how I am going to feel starting the new medication. I have gone cold turkey once before it was horrendous the doc put me back on them again. Attempting to taper me off. That didn’t work!!! I’m 41, a single mother to a 3 year old and can’t afford to be ill like that again. Any advise on what to expect would be amazing. Your words secretscot have given me hope!