Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By istrvler
Fentanyl withdrawl at home. nurontin help? Any advice on the matter
    Angerygirl is offline New Member

Exclamation Fentanyl withdrawl at home. nurontin help? Any advice on the matter

Hi all,
    Thanks to kaisers dr. Inability to diagnose a common sport injury, the last 8 years have been hell. Instead of listening to me they threw a ton of drugs at me to control the worsening pain. Well I figure out what was wrong in 15 min.on The Internet and have had a couple of surgerys to fix the problem . Now I'm feeling better buT am left with the wonderful dependence on fentanyl and norco.
    I'm done. I have been cutting my patches( don't worry they are not the gel type and can be cut without fear) and I plan on going without tomorrow night. I have done a ton of research and have found that nurontin is one cure for the symptoms. Luckily I have over 100 left from my last surgery. I also have access to Valium and am going to the store tonight to stock up on anti- diarrhea meds. And a few other thing I might need for the next week.
    I wondering if anyone has any other advice on the matter. Anything you can add to my arsenal.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-22-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spell check

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, welcome. You've read the Thomas Recipe right? Get everything on that list. Hot baths will be your best friend during withdrawals! Get melatonin or valerian for sleep. Some people have prescribed meds for sleeping, so if you do, that will def work. Be careful if you're using a benzo. Use only when necessary and only for like the first week! Benzos are very dangerous if used longer.

I wish you the best! There are lots of threads here of people who have detoxed at home. Find and read them. Good luck!

Thanks,
    I have read the Thomas recipe and just got back from the store I did get melatonin and valerian. I also got Imodium,ani nausea meds and ibuprofen. I will only take the benzo if I need them and know that they can be worse then the opiates. Anything else i might need?
    Thanks for the support and advice. I'll update on my progress.

istrvler is offline Member

Hi Angry: We added B12 to the Recipe, stay hydrated with water and Gatorade and take lots of hot, hot showers for aches and restless legs. Bananas and Boost for nutrition, time and patience. Post often this is your thread vent, complain, ask questions people will be on to help. Stay away from energy drinks (the L-Tyrosine you can take up to 4,000 mg we took 2,000 in the morning on a empty stomach). Good luck stay strong you can do this.

Istrvlr, where do I get the L-tyrosine. I looked at the CVS and didn't see it. Its an amino acid right?
    I read to take it on the 4 th day to help with the depression and so called malaise. Is that true or sould I start now?
    Thanks for the advice.

GNC has it so do other health stores and vitamin type stores. I don't know if its an amino acid, I know it helps you produce Dopamine and helps your body absorb nutrients. I started it as soon as I read about it here on day 3. It gave me a little energy boost. I am relatively new at this was on pills way to long but only off since Sept 4. I don't think there is any harm in taking it day 1.

Thanks istravlr but.... Day one has already started. I woke up and my fentanyl patch had worn off. I use to change them every 2 days so, this happens all the time. That's one reason I wanna quit. The docs treating me like a drug seeker and changing my scrips after 8 years of the same things. I have a Gnc up the street and will try to get over there before I feel too bad. Ever heard using nurontintin for the symptoms? Most people swear it takes 90% of the symptoms away. I have been using it since I started cutting my patches and it took away all my urges to get my norcos out and take a handful to make up for the lack of fent.

Lynnsland is offline Junior Member

AG I'm glad to have seen your thread. I'm going to try getting off of norco, again. My rhuemy rx'd neurontin for me 2 weeks ago but I have been leery about starting something new. I had tried Lyrica, it helped overnight but was a quick plateau and it made me dizzy. It didn't help with the wd pain. I went through 3 days of wd last month when I ran out early. I found this site and the Thomas recipe. I checked 2 pharmacies and no tyrosine so I ordered it online. I'm ready this time. Thinking good thoughts for you today.

Lynnsland, I would do some research on the nurontin. I have read that as little as 300 MSG 3 times a day helps with the withdrawl. If you have it do the research and try it. I'm not sure if it's a placebo affect but it really works. Honestly the placebo affect doesn't apply when you are dealing with withdrawl. Thanks for he support and good luck to you too. When you trying to kick the habit.?
    Thanks agin to all.

Hi again,
    Yes, 100-200mg three times a day is what he rx'd. I picked it up yesterday. I'm down to having 15mg of norco in my purse to last 5 days. I'd been taking 40-50mg a day. It's a tiny amt compared to others but for me? Running out last month sent me into wd. I let it happen to kinda see what my baseline pain would be, got more than I bargained for. So the nurontin? Yes, no awful wd symptoms yet. It's been 24 hrs off norco. The nurontin makes my head feel kinda blurry, my back and pelvis feels blurry-tingly but not painful like normal. I fractured 5 months ago. Like you I am tired of being dependent on pain med. I am willing to try being fuzzy headed for a few days to see if I can stop the norco dependence. I hope you get off the fentanyl. I too have kids that come home after school. If I can not be grouchy and if I can stand on my feet long enough to fix them dinner? Feed the dogs? Feed the horses? Get baths done? The fuzzy brain is ok. Let me know how it's going for you.

Lynnsland, how's it going so far. I unfortunitly mentioned my plan to my pain mangment doc and he put a stop to it. I saw home yeasterday wich was my day 2 without and my blood pressure was sky high so we decided to reduce my fentanyl a smaller dose every 2weeks. I cried ll day. I wanted off this week.
    Did ou have a broken pelvis? I had my second pelvic surgery in July. If so I have some questions. Mine wasent broken but i had a rare condition that occured during childbith that went undigagnose for 8 year . Normaly it a spots injury and no one knows how it happiend to me. Its treated basicly the same way as a broken pelvis. Plates and screws and stuff. Also my sympasis had fused and it damaged my hips. It's been hell.

I still have a ton of pain too but my pain doc says it could be a rebound affect from the pain meds. So I think its gonna be hard for you to tell how much pain till your off of them. Are you going off because you doc wants you to or because you do. Because if your in pain and not abusing them I say stay on them!

So the nurontin helping with the withdrawl symptoms? That's great! I'm so glad that they are working. ( makes you wonder why the FDA wont approve them for that reason) The fuzzy head is normal. Have you found your hungry all the time? I also was in a great mood and chatty. The only thing is that you might need to up the dose if your withdrawl symptoms show up again. My perscribed dose is 600 3 times a day. Also try taking a slightly bigger dose maybe your200 mgs at bed time. Kills the restless legs and you'll sleep like a baby. Just be careful. If you stop a large dose without weening off for a bit you can have a few side affects. I'm sure you doc explained that.
    Good luck to you on your quest to feel things again,
    Angry

AG: There are worse things than weaning off this stuff, like I have said before I am not an expert by any means but it sounds like you have your doctor's support and you are headed in the right direction. I use the comparison that quitting this stuff is a marathon not a sprint. So if weaning off of it slowly is better and that you will be less likely to relapse go slow and steady than that is what you should do. In a month, 2 months down the line it won't matter if you quit in a week or a month the fact is you will have quit and your life will be better. Stay strong let us know how you are doing we are pulling for you.
    Lynnsland likes this.

Yes, cracked my pubic rami on the right side. Sacrum was fx'd too but nothing needed surgical repair. It's been 5 months. Yes it's getting better, I'm doing most everything I need to do but...... Still have pain, am exhausted and taking more narcotic to mask the pain completely is not something I'm willing to do. TG I did not need surgery. I can't imagine living through the agony you've faced. I started accupuncture yesterday. Got a lecture from the holistic rn about healing. She made sense, gave me a few suggestions about changing my diet, i need more protein and calcium, avoid things with high fructose corn syrup. It's just frustrating. This is taking too long. I hate waking up in pain and that 40 minutes to feel better? Plus I've got a cyst on my kidney and a new pain since starting PT. I need to go get it checked out. It just never ends with going to Drs. Hah , I got put on nurontin because I told him the Lyrica made me dizzy every am. The nurontin is way worse, makes me feel stoned but at least I'm not grouchy and can stay on my feet. The norco seems to worsen my agoraphobia so that's another reason I want off. If you just had surgery in July? You are rushing things, sorry to say. Have you started aqua therapy or any pt? I did pt for 4 weeks twice a week. The holistic rn says I need at least 2 more months, oy vey!!! Not thrilled about that. Let me know how you're doing. Hug, LL